Magnetic Door Decorations

We just got off Millennium and door decorations were few and far between as others have said. There were the usual birthday and anniversary here and there but something I do not recall seeing before was a large cloud shaped piece of vinyl like material attached to the door whit a grease pencil and personalized messages written on it.  For example, one port day there was a message about the short excursion they were on -- on a sea day there was list of about 5 activities and times .. There we two doors decorated like this about three cabins apart. 

Full disclosure - no pineapples seen, upright or otherwise.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

When my kids were young I took a set of those magnetized letters and words - the door was metal - and they wrote little poems and then passersby got into it and it was always fun to see what message was left for us. I also took those stick on gel decorations that I've seen people mention. Great to help my kids find their door! Many years later I'm finally taking another cruise and I will be getting something small to stick on the frame to help ME recognize my door.  I enjoy seeing others creativity. For all those looking down their noses at decorations, I will just say - Have you ever been to one of those huge "personal care homes"? Rows and rows of sterile, undistinguished doors and I wonder how the elderly occupants tell which is "Home". I inquired and was told door decorations were not allowed. Made me very sad.

I say do it if you like. I've decorated on some cruises, not on others. Somehow it always seems to be the cruises I didn't bring decorations that have the most decorated doors. It does make spotting your cabin easier.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jwfornow said:

When my kids were young I took a set of those magnetized letters and words - the door was metal - and they wrote little poems and then passersby got into it and it was always fun to see what message was left for us. 

This reminded me of a couple of things...

1) I watched the TV show "Soul Train" in the late 70s when in between songs they had some contestants were called down to find a bunch of scrambled letters and they were supposed to spell out a song and/or musical artist.  They always did it so quickly they had time to dance to the next song.  I wonder if they had help. 😛

2) It must have been a long time since you've done this with your kids.  I think it's a different world now.  I can imagine what you'd come back to if you tried this today. 😈

Edited by Honolulu Blue

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2024 at 3:10 PM, PTC DAWG said:

Some of y’all need to chillax….wow..

I can’t imagine being bothered by what someone puts on their door on a cruise..

true! As long as it‘s on the inside of their stateroom 🤷🏻😉

Edited by Miaminice

45 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

2) It must have been a long time since you've done this with your kids.  I think it's a different world now.  I can imagine what you'd come back to if you tried this today. 😈

I am sure there would be some 'choice' messages left.  🤪

On our cruise,  a couple tastefully decorated their door but items did disappear during the cruise. So don't put anything on the door that has sentimental value.  However, it was annoying that in the same floor, there were numerous large  advertising signs for a travel agency that I assume had booked the rooms.  Tacky.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 12:31 PM, lexmiller said:

It's especially fun to roam the halls on a self guided door decor tour on holiday cruises.  We've been on two Halloween cruises with Celebrity and some of the passengers were very creative with their doors.  

I went on a Christmas cruise and there were many doors decorated.  While in port, on another ship, I saw an inflatable Christmas tree set up on the balcony!

Edited by Kmangel
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 12:55 PM, Octavias said:

Not your door, not your problem. To each their own.

Maybe he's worried the property value on his cabin will go down if the neighborhood gets tacky.

I don't do them, but I don't mind them. Some are entertaining. Never understood why anyone needed them to find their cabin though. They're all numbered. I guess when they're drunk, they think can remember their magnet better than the cabin number. But, what if someone else has the same magnet, or if someone moves it? That happens too.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

To each his own, and good luck to those that think door decoration is fun.

I think its plain tacky, and I'd put it on the same "amusing " level as those hilarious people who fill old toilets with plants and give them a prominent space in the front yard. I blame my parents for indoctrinating me with standards from a young age. And taste of course.

Ducks are a different matter, they're not forced on anyone and are inoffensive things whether real or plastic, they are tasty and also fun for kids of all ages.

On 5/18/2024 at 8:25 PM, Stumptowngal said:

It seems that people might want to consider the option of putting them up inside their cabin on the magnetic walls. Then you’d actually get to enjoy seeing them more.  

Was on the Anthem of the Seas in Feb of 2023 and then again in Jan of 2024. In 2023 almost all of our door magnets were stolen so I purchased twice as many for our 2024 cruise. I put about a third on the door and the rest on the wall as you walked in ...and not one was stolen off the door. 🤣
Now we have enough for our door and our kids' door when when cruise in July! 🙂

5 hours ago, Dunchues said:

I think its plain tacky, and I'd put it on the same "amusing " level as those hilarious people who fill old toilets with plants and give them a prominent space in the front yard. I blame my parents for indoctrinating me with standards from a young age. And taste of course.

Ducks are a different matter, they're not forced on anyone and are inoffensive things whether real or plastic, they are tasty and also fun for kids of all ages.

There is no difference between ducks and magnets, don't like it just keep walking 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

While they're not my thing, I was nonetheless very thankful to the lady with the big "Granny" sign on her door  on my last cruise, as I have zero sense of direction and could never remember which hallway to go down on my floor. And I wasn't even drinking! 😄  I quietly said "Thanks, Granny" each time I passed by. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

14 hours ago, Dunchues said:

You AND your parents sound fun. /s

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, vtgumby said:

You AND your parents sound fun. /s

As someone that decorates my door minimally, the response came across overly blunt to me too.  But I laughed and thought "well, Scott asked what everyone thought."  And I doubt it was written with the tone I added to it when I initially read it.  I am curious if this is more a Canadian impression of what cruising should be like.

I find Celebrity ships are caught between different passenger types they are targeting - classic cruisers that want a refined, elegant cruise, and dress to the 9s; and those that are after a much more casual cruise & starting to target families with kids.  I think this is more apparent when asking opinions about dressing up for dinner in the MDR or not.  I like to be able to wear jeans into main dining, but I know this affects the ambiance of the dinner for those that are dressed up. 

That policy is very vague and leaves different ships enforcing differently - a much bigger issue with this line.

In either case, I enjoyed reading everyone's opinions.  And I think the themed magnets would make me smile if I saw them.  It makes me smile when I find a duck too - but I've only found 1 ever. But I think I'm on the cruise lines that don't do that as much.

On 5/27/2024 at 8:56 PM, Dunchues said:

There are standards, and there are standards. Some are low. Some are high. Every single one is open to interpretation, context, medium, location, etc., and all are subject to personal opinion. Same with taste. I hate 'modern' architecture and interior design. There's nothing modern about it. It's 70 years old, which is probably why I hate it. I was there when it went out of style. But I don't consider others tasteless or classless for liking it, and I certainly wouldn't criticize or insult them for it. That would be hypocritical, since doing so would make me the tasteless, low class person. And as long as no one is getting hurt, I never begrudge anyone having fun. Isn't that what cruising is all about?

I do like ducks though. Had a pet Mallard when I was a kid. His name was George. He left us when he decided we weren't as wild as those other ducks out on the lake. We put up an old toilet in his honor and taped a magnet to it because magnets don't stick to toilets. Just kidding (it was a sticker). :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1