Australian Passport Price Increase

I have read a report that states the price of an Australian passport is to increase again on July 1st 2024.  The cost increase was said to be $50.00 per adult application. Also if you need your passport in a hurry that fee is to increase as well  The passport office is advising that the standard delivery time is 6 weeks.

Something to think about if your passport is coming up for renewal.

... and you need to pay for visas left, right and centre when you want to travel 🙁 (NZers get off lightly in this regard) 😊

Everything is costing more as governments around the world look at expenditure and savings. Especially for tourism, as it is seen as a one off cost people are prepared to pay.

I.e the new day pass tax in Venice.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

It irks me that you need 6 month’s validity on your passport to travel. In effect a passport lasts 9.5 years not 10 years. 

Some countries (including Vanuatu and Fiji) require there to be 6 month's validity on passports. Australia does not for Australian passport holders. The Aust passport is valid until the day of expiry. NZ requires three month's validity for Australian passport holders. 

I came across this NZ cruise situation for my daughter a few years ago. Her passport only had 4 or 5 months left when the cruise was due to end and the travel agent insisted she had to get a new passport. I made enquiries with the Aust Passport Office and the answer was "An Australian passport is valid until the day of expiry".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

Some countries (including Vanuatu and Fiji) require there to be 6 month's validity on passports. Australia does not for Australian passport holders. The Aust passport is valid until the day of expiry. NZ requires three month's validity for Australian passport holders. 

I came across this NZ cruise situation for my daughter a few years ago. Her passport only had 4 or 5 months left when the cruise was due to end and the travel agent insisted she had to get a new passport. I made enquiries with the Aust Passport Office and the answer was "An Australian passport is valid until the day of expiry".

The passport office can say that but so many countries insist on 6 months validity to be able to travel there.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wanderers2 said:

The passport office can say that but so many countries insist on 6 months validity to be able to travel there.

The Passport Office was talking about re-entry into Australia not what some other countries require.

• Like 2

Within the travel industry, there is a book called T.I.M (Travel Information Manual).

When I check for New Zealand this is what TIM gives us:

My search data is based on departure from Australia to destination New Zealand with country of citizenship Australia and on a normal passport.

Passport

Passport required.

Passport Exemptions:

Nationals of Australia with an emergency passport.

Document Validity:

Passports and other documents accepted for entry issued to nationals of Australia must be valid on arrival.

Passports issued to permanent residents of Australia must be valid on arrival.

For the 3 months validity left on the passport for New Zealand, sounds like it could be a cruise company restriction.
  • Like 1

At the risk of sounding unsympathetic, if you can't afford a passport you really can't afford to travel.  Our Govt takes great interest in knowing where it's citizens are in the world in order to assist them if needs be.  I see this as such a minor increase.  Having said that, my passport is valid unit 2030 and Grumpy's to 2031 when I'll be 72 and he'll be 78; I wonder how many more 10 year passports I'l require after that?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

At the risk of sounding unsympathetic, if you can't afford a passport you really can't afford to travel.  Our Govt takes great interest in knowing where it's citizens are in the world in order to assist them if needs be.  I see this as such a minor increase.  Having said that, my passport is valid unit 2030 and Grumpy's to 2031 when I'll be 72 and he'll be 78; I wonder how many more 10 year passports I'l require after that?

Just buy the 5 year one, they are more expensive per annum though.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The Passport Office was talking about re-entry into Australia not what some other countries require.

That is true. You can return into Australia on the day your passport expires, providing that the carrier (air or sea) will allow you to board their plane/ship.

Countries require you to have enough time left on your passport in case of pretty much any kind of emergency. Cruise lines are in the same boat, somewhat. They also don't want to risk being denied entry to a port because there is someone aboard with an expired passport.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, arxcards said:

That is true. You can return into Australia on the day your passport expires, providing that the carrier (air or sea) will allow you to board their plane/ship.

I was once told that the Aust Govt cannot refuse entry to a returning Australian citizen even if their passport has expired - your passport expiring does not cancel your citizenship, else anyone that doesn't renew would become stateless.

This challenge of course would be getting on the flight/ship to get to Australia without a valid current passport, with the carrier likely reverting to the 6 month rule.

I'm good to June 2033 🙂 

• Like 1

Our passports are due to be renewed in July so I will apply at the end of June & save the extra cost. 

We are headed to the US & must have a valid passport of at least 6 months to the end of our trip.

That is really the only reason I put the post on the forum, to give everyone a heads up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

…my passport is valid unit 2030 and Grumpy's to 2031 when I'll be 72 and he'll be 78; I wonder how many more 10 year passports I'l require after that?

Well, my Nanna was still taking cruises and flying internationally in her 90s. 😱

We can all live in hope. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 9:38 AM, lyndarra said:

Yep, an increase in the new budget from 1st July. We already have the 3rd most costly passports in the world.

https://www.timeout.com/australia/news/australian-passport-fees-are-already-the-worlds-second-most-expensive-and-prices-will-soar-even-higher-this-year-022824

Yep and Australia's average income tax rate of 24.9 per cent was the fourth-highest of the developed world, behind Denmark, Iceland and Belgium, and well above the 15.4 per cent average for the 38 OECD countries 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-26/australia-income-tax-rate-changes-oecd-taxing-wages/103769612

Edited by Mycruiseobsession
Trying to make font bigger but alas I failed.

On 5/20/2024 at 12:17 PM, Sparky74 said:

It irks me that you need 6 month’s validity on your passport to travel. In effect a passport lasts 9.5 years not 10 years. 

Agree just checked mine and Iam a week short of 6 months on our New Guinea cruise later this year.

Cheers Carole

50 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Agree just checked mine and Iam a week short of 6 months on our New Guinea cruise later this year.

Cheers Carole

You will need a new passport. ☹️ PNG requires visitors to have 6 months validity from the date they leave PNG.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Cheers Carole

Yes it was pretty much the same for us last year, so just went ahead & renewed. At the time there was warnings of long delays - it took 1 week 😳

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

You will need a new passport. ☹️ PNG requires visitors to have 6 months validity from the date they leave PNG.

Yes,thinking I will just get a five year one now  will have to give it some thought Unfortunately I am not getting any younger 🤣🤣

Cheers Carole 

17 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Yes,thinking I will just get a five year one now  will have to give it some thought Unfortunately I am not getting any younger 🤣🤣

Cheers Carole 

5 years if your over 75 or children 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mr walker said:

I was once told that the Aust Govt cannot refuse entry to a returning Australian citizen even if their passport has expired - your passport expiring does not cancel your citizenship, else anyone that doesn't renew would become stateless.

This challenge of course would be getting on the flight/ship to get to Australia without a valid current passport, with the carrier likely reverting to the 6 month rule.

I'm good to June 2033 🙂 

I believe that would be true. It would be easier if you could walk on water, but for a traveller it would mean you would be traveling in a foreign country with an expired passport. 

You could be living overseas as a resident, but still an Australian citizen with an expired passport. I would expect some level of paperwork would be needed to hitch a lift home.

Early 2026 for us, and likely another price rise between now & then