Guarantee cabins?

Skippy

Does anyone have info on when we’re going to get a room assigned for our guarantee cabins? We booked guarantee interior because they were the only rooms left. We sail on the 6/14 Edge Alaska. I don’t want to show up to the port and them tell us that no cabins are left. Is it like the airlines where they will oversell rooms in the hopes that people will cancel? 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Skippy said:

Does anyone have info on when we’re going to get a room assigned for our guarantee cabins? We booked guarantee interior because they were the only rooms left. We sail on the 6/14 Edge Alaska. I don’t want to show up to the port and them tell us that no cabins are left. Is it like the airlines where they will oversell rooms in the hopes that people will cancel? 

First of all if you booked a guarantee stateroom, you will be assigned a stateroom.  You will not show up and be told there are no staterooms left.  It is not like the airlines and does not work that way.  Guarantee means just that.

Typically the staterooms are assigned anytime from shortly after they are booked to up until day of boarding, with it usually being a couple of weeks before boarding. Relax. You will get a stateroom assigned, likely within the next week or so.

Also, if for any reason by looking at the deck plan you don't like where the stateroom is, as long as there is availability in the sub-category you were assigned, you can request to have it moved to a different location.  Just contact whomever you booked with to make the request.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Our G stateroom was assigned before final payment but there were lots of rooms available.  On a sold out cruise, cabin assignments come a bit later due to a lot of factors...ie.  move up bids, cancellations, and a myriad of other things behind the scenes.  Rest assured you will have a cabin assignment very soon.  

Just curious, what does it show on your cruise documents?  specifically, your luggage tags?  And have you looked at the image of your cruise card in your cruise planner?  You can find it under View Boarding Pass in the Manage Reservation section of the planner.  Looks like this...

image.thumb.png.13edeaa5e8d4ce1b378b0f4853b775f9.png

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2

On another social media site there were posts from some booked with assigned cabins on a X cruise that received emails last week asking if they would like to move to another sailing date.  They were being offering refund, reimbursement of hotel, flight change fees and other incentives so that leads me believe one cruise is overbooked.  

3 minutes ago, jelayne said:

On another social media site there were posts from some booked with assigned cabins on a X cruise that received emails last week asking if they would like to move to another sailing date.  They were being offering refund, reimbursement of hotel, flight change fees and other incentives so that leads me believe one cruise is overbooked.  

Very unusual.

7 minutes ago, jelayne said:

They were being offering refund, reimbursement of hotel, flight change fees and other incentives so that leads me believe one cruise is overbooked.  

Oh my!  Wonder how the system would allow for a cruise to be over sold...

55 minutes ago, Skippy said:

You have a guarantee inside or better.  That will not happen. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Oh my!  Wonder how the system would allow for a cruise to be over sold...

I believe it would be a very rare issue.  But the only way I could see it occurring is if a given cruise line is relying heavily on analytics to predict the percentage or number of last minute cancelations on a given itinerary and would over book to that number.  The issue would then arise if some or all of those cancelation never occur.  Seems rather risky to me from a business point of view. Especially since they have no revenue loss for those late cancelations. 

Airlines can do it as last minute cancelations are rather common and alternative flights frequent into which to rebook.  Not so much with a planned vacation such as a cruise that has no immediate alternative remedy.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Skippy said:

It is rare but it does happen.  

I have a guaranteed cabin on Eclipse for early August and it was assigned a cabin a couple of weeks ago.

I am not sure anybody really knows the algorithm Celebrity uses.

We booked 4 guarantee ocean view cabins a while ago (cruise is in late Sept).  Interestingly, one of the cabins has been assigned - all the other three still remain as GTY.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We had booked 4 gty ocean view cabins.  Cruise is in late fall, not yet at final payment date.  Ocean View cabins have been listed as sold out for quite a while now.

Mid-may, we had one cabin assigned.  By the end of May, we had two.  And now, all four cabins have been assigned.

One of them is right next to the guest relations area of the ship - intend to check with the TA to see if this can be moved.

Posted (edited)

I had a Oceanview GUAR on an Alaska cruise.  Surprisingly, they assigned me in only a few business days to, arguably, the worst OV cabin on the ship (extreme bow over the theater.)  I was able to get it moved to something slightly better in the same category.

Ultimately, we had a change of plans and were able to get a full refund, in our case.  We were still many months from the sailing and outside of the final payment period, which is why I was surprised that the assignment occurred so quickly.

Edited by Stockjock

It is very, very rare that you will not be given a room.  It has happened a couple of times but the internet would be exploding if it happened regularly.  Sometimes people literally get assigned the day of sailing - sometimes even at the gate.  Fingers crossed for you - maybe you'll luck out into something even better!  Let us know what happens.

We booked our 12/12/14 cruise in February and got our Guarantee Concierge cabin assignment a few days after booking.  I asked our TA to change since I preferred a different location and was surprised to have that happen.