Say It Isn't So . . . .

From the Regent Seven Seas Cruises Board a few hours ago:

At NCLH Investor Day CEO Harry Sommer implied that the three [loyalty] programs will be consolidated:

"Loyalty programs like CruiseNext certificate sales on board -- essentially, a nonrefundable deposit for a future cruise cruise (sic) -- are up 60% since 2015.  When an analyst asked if NCLH may be considering a loyalty program that encompasses all three of its brands, CEO Sommer indicated that's possible and there may be news in the back half of the year."

• Thanks 1

Perhaps that was the reason for the recent Loyalty Program Survey. We like the O Club program so if it is a CHEAP/Gutted version to come, that would be a major NEGATIVE. Since we don’t sail on Norwegian and I have never even looked at their program,I can not believe it is superior to Oceania’s or Regent’s so a reduced benefit program is unacceptable. 
Mauibabes

• Like 4

One thing I noted is both of Regents and Norwegian’s loyalty programs are based on number of nights instead of number of cruises. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

One thing I noted is both of Regents and Norwegian’s loyalty programs are based on number of nights instead of number of cruises. 

To me that makes much more sense.    Also Cabin Class and Days to me make the most sense.

• Like 3

I wish someone would explain to me why a 7-day cruise is worth the same as a 24-day cruise under Oceania's program. Makes no sense. But 25 days is worth 2 credits. That 1 day becomes really important with the Oceania Club.

• Like 4

I think that is smart thinking on "O"'s part.  With adding the 3 together puts us must higher which would be nice.  They can easily take Regents nights and convert them to cruises or vice aversa.

Just get IT to set up a program and it's done.  👍👍👍 for the company if they do it.........

I read the quote as you'll be able to prepay a discounted deposit onboard to use on any of the 3 lines since CruiseNext was specifically mentioned.  I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

Or I'm wrong 😁

4 hours ago, redraider1966 said:

At NCLH Investor Day CEO Harry Sommer implied that the three [loyalty] programs will be consolidated:

How do the words "that's possible" and "there may be news in the back half of the year" translate to "implied that the three programs will be consolidated" ?

Answer: They don't.

What Harry Sommer said is that it's being considered. Maybe they'll consolidate them, maybe not. If the decision had already been made he would likely say something like "We're planning to consolidate them and we're working on the details, which should be announced sometime in the back half of the year".

4 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Perhaps that was the reason for the recent Loyalty Program Survey. We like the O Club program so if it is a CHEAP/Gutted version to come, that would be a major NEGATIVE. Since we don’t sail on Norwegian and I have never even looked at their program,I can not believe it is superior to Oceania’s or Regent’s so a reduced benefit program is unacceptable. 
Mauibabes

Perhaps it's best not to use words like "cheap/gutted" and "negative"...in capital letters no less about something you admittedly don't know anything about.

If you took a minute or two to actually learn about the NCL loyalty program you'd find that it's actually far superior to Oceania's in terms of accumulating points/credit toward higher loyalty levels. NCL's program is based very simply on days cruised, with that number doubled for days cruised in the most expensive categories, suites and the Haven. This is head and shoulders above Oceania's nonsensical program that rewards a 24 night cruise with the same value as a 7 night cruise .

If there is a consolidated program I'd suggest that judgement be withheld until the actual terms of the program are announced.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Perhaps it's best not to use words like "cheap/gutted" and "negative"...in capital letters no less about something you admittedly don't know anything about.

If you took a minute or two to actually learn about the NCL loyalty program you'd find that it's actually far superior to Oceania's in terms of accumulating points/credit toward higher loyalty levels. NCL's program is based very simply on days cruised, with that number doubled for days cruised in the most expensive categories, suites and the Haven. This is head and shoulders above Oceania's nonsensical program that rewards a 24 night cruise with the same value as a 7 night cruise .

If there is a consolidated program I'd suggest that judgement be withheld until the actual terms of the program are announced.

If it happens, and what say about NCL--that would be great for Oceania cruisers.  I know I would like to see it happen.  After a while I just don't enjoy cruising on the same line, after awhile you kind of know what to expect -- Having 3 different lines would make it more interesting on a ship.  Kind of mix it up a bit.

3 hours ago, Dwtlion said:

I wish someone would explain to me why a 7-day cruise is worth the same as a 24-day cruise under Oceania's program. Makes no sense. But 25 days is worth 2 credits. That 1 day becomes really important with the Oceania Club.

Not really if you’re an O regular. Some trips you come out ahead and others you don’t.

• Like 1

Perhaps I got a bit carried away. I too have always questioned that 24 day cruise to get one cruise credit and then an additional credit for every 10 days longer. My comments and complaints expressed to O were not successful, just like anyone else’s “suggestions” to O over the years to adjust the credit benefits. 

I did take a look at the NCL Latitudes Program and reviewed the levels and amenities earned. While the O amenity list is shorter, I think a lot of the NCL amenities are included amenities for anyone sailing on Oceania, despite their level. I compared my O Platinum level benefits against the NCL Diamond level that I would qualify for and I would much prefer the Oceania program. I especially appreciated the 14 day Free Cruise on O. 

Now if the Three programs and levels were interchangeable for our travels on any of the three Lines, that would be a winner. What are the chances a program like that being under consideration 😇🙏, I would guess not likely. Enough conjecture and trying to read NCLH corporate tea leaves. I will drop my mic 🤪
Mauibabes

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

If it happens, and what say about NCL--that would be great for Oceania cruisers.  I know I would like to see it happen.  After a while I just don't enjoy cruising on the same line, after awhile you kind of know what to expect -- Having 3 different lines would make it more interesting on a ship.  Kind of mix it up a bit.

I’m exactly the opposite. The only “mix” I need is what is found in the cocktail shaker at Martini’s.😎

O ships are our “vacation home.” And, despite, occasional hiccups in overall performance, O checks off all on our travel preference list pretty regularly.

Among those preferences is the current “regular O clientele” profile which I consider to be culturally diverse, well traveled, professionally accomplished folks who have worked hard for their money and understand the true meaning of value.

I trust that you’ll find some subset of similar types of folks on mass market NCL and luxury Regent. But, if I’m going to continue to spend 75-100 +\- annual nights on O ships, I don’t particularly need or want an uncertain demographic future that might alter the profile described above. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I’m exactly the opposite. The only “mix” I need is what is found in the cocktail shaker at Martini’s.😎

O ships are our “vacation home.” And, despite, occasional hiccups in overall performance, O checks off all on our travel preference list pretty regularly.

Among those preferences is the current “regular O clientele” profile which I consider to be culturally diverse, well traveled, professionally accomplished folks who have worked hard for their money and understand the true meaning of value.

I trust that you’ll find some subset of similar types of folks on mass market NCL and luxury Regent. But, if I’m going to continue to spend 75-100 +\- annual nights on O ships, I don’t particularly need or want an uncertain demographic future that might alter the profile described above. 

I agree for the most part.  I enjoy "O", but did get a little bored, and moved over to Regent for about 8 cruises, again got bored and slipped over to Silversea.  For me Silversea after two cruises didn't hit the mark.  So I'm back with "O', I REALLY ENJOY "O's" suites and service.  Not so sure I cruise on NCL, but would take a Regent again to mix things up a bit.  To me I've reach that age, touring isn't my thing--but relaxation is.

• Like 4

I just believe we’re all so different it’s impossible to please everyone. Some cruise for the ports, others for the ship. Some are happy with a perfectly quiet sedate ship atmosphere, others become bored by it. Some are NoNos , others definitely aren’t.

We have a multitude here locally that go to Gulf Shores, Al twice per year. Only place they ever go and haven’t been South of Tallahassee. Others travel the world. My b-I-l goes to the exact same restaurant and orders the same meal every week. We love to explore the variety of restaurants, and food groups, and rarely hit any restaurants more than once a year. He’d be much happier on a cruise line than I that hasn’t changed their Specialties menu in 20 years. Others are the same. 

Can’t keep everyone happy. Going to Freeport, ME, Charleston, SC; or Gulf Shores doesn’t have to mean one is necessarily better, it means they’re different. Going on O, Viking; SS, or EJ, versus always sailing O isn’t a case of which is best; but doing something different. Similar to my b-i-l, some don’t like different. How does Oceania account for that in its daily operations and loyalty programs?

For those of you watching, Oceania did sneak in a new policy this year. The sum of the segments can now be less than the credits awarded, but not more. If you now book a 10 day + 10 day cruise = 20 days = 1 extended journeys = 1 cruise credit. Been this way for awhile. However, if you now book a 20 day segment + 17 day segment = 37 days or oops, no longer. Now just separate back to backs and 2 cruise credits. You don’t get the 3 credits as in the past.

Now, for some,  the upside of the above changes being fair to O. With the different booking numbers for those long segments, one can now make their full allocation of dining reservations for each segment separately. Likewise, now with SM, they actually get more SM tour credits than on an extended journey. 

• Like 1

I shouldn't have said "bored", it's more like I know what's going to happen.  If food, the bar and every turn of the ship.  I'm never bored when cruising, it's just once we cruise a lot on one line for a while - you just know what's going to happen, it can be good, but you know.

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

If you now book a 10 day + 10 day cruise = 20 days = 1 extended journeys = 1 cruise credit. Been this way for awhile. However, if you now book a 20 day segment + 17 day segment = 37 days or oops, no longer. Now just separate back to backs and 2 cruise credits. You don’t get the 3 credits as in the past.

I"m not sure I completely understand what you're saying. I had no problem booking two cruises that were what is historically called B2B, each 10 days. I booked them as a combo cruise with one booking number and 2 cruise ID's. It's on one invoice. I'm getting two cruise credits for it. 2 sets of Club perks, two bottles of the delicious Cyclo wine and two $250 onboard booking bonus. I booked this in February of this year. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I’m going to continue to spend 75-100 +\- annual nights on O ships,

You spend close to a third of a year on cruises?!?!? Wow.

6 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

I shouldn't have said "bored", it's more like I know what's going to happen.  If food, the bar and every turn of the ship.  I'm never bored when cruising, it's just once we cruise a lot on one line for a while - you just know what's going to happen, it can be good, but you know.

Do you think staying home for six or twelve months might give you more interesting things to do?

2 hours ago, clo said:

Do you think staying home for six or twelve months might give you more interesting things to do?

No! Not at all😁It's just being on the same ship-you kind of know everything that's going to happen.  Same restaurants, same table settings and so on--everything remains the same.  So by going on a different line-things are just different.  Each line has its strong points and weak points.

Every so often "O" and the other lines we cruise do surprise us now and then....Staying home is just a no..............

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ronrick1943 said:
2 hours ago, clo said:

Not asking about different ships but staying home 🙂 

21 minutes ago, clo said:

Not asking about different ships but staying home 🙂 

Like I said, No--I enjoy being on a ship and just relaxing.  I do have plenty of things to do at home and enjoy being at home with family and friends.  Truth said I really love the home we live in, a lot of nature around being we live on a natural bird reserve.  Best of all we live on a real Island in the middle of the desert that you have to go over a little bridge to get on the Island .  What's not to like and enjoy...............Maybe that's why I like being on a ship---more water around you.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Like I said, No--I enjoy being on a ship and just relaxing.  I do have plenty of things to do at home and enjoy being at home with family and friends.  Truth said I really love the home we live in, a lot of nature around being we live on a natural bird reserve.  Best of all we live on a real Island in the middle of the desert that you have to go over a little bridge to get on the Island .  What's not to like and enjoy...............Maybe that's why I like being on a ship---more water around you.

That sounds lovely. Thanks.