The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday May 27th, 2024

Good morning, everyone!  

It is kind of gloomy out here in mid-Michigan.  We had rain last night.  I didn't get to sleep until after 3 am.  I think I'll be heading back to bed once Sue and River get on the road.  

Today's meal sounds good - at least the roasted salmon part.  We still have left over hot dogs and hamburgers so those will get finished off today.  The recipe calls for kale, but you can use spinach if you prefer. I've always wanted to try roasted spiced chickpeas.  Maybe we'll give this one a try.  Roasted Salmon

roastedsalmonwithsmokychickpeas1.jpg.a4d43c5f75767e1f3b9317b9e66ec4bf.jpg

This next one calls for spinach and tomatoes.   Roasted Salmon 2

roastedsalmonwithsmokychickpeas2.jpg.c364e1d2e0238537c52603eca4198c07.jpg

And here's that meal in salad form for a warm summer evening.  Roasted Salmon and Chickpeas Salad

roastedsalmonwithsmokychickpeas3.thumb.jpg.07fee26e2f6f71ec4b866d91a8864504.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 17

Posted (edited)

Good Monday Memorial Day morning Dailyites!

It is 73, and the storms have just arrived in the Atlanta area.  Heavy rain lightning and thunder. Just in case we lose power, I got up and made coffee.  The tv is on, but I can no longer hear it because of the storm. I still need to get going and get to the store, but since it is so dark now I will wait a bit. It is the perfect weather to sleep through, but I fear lack of java, so I got up.

@MISTER 67Thank you for letting us know about Grayson Murphy.  No matter how great life looks to us, for someone who suffers from depression, it is hard to think outside the pain they are in at the moment, and remember that there can be something better coming. And while alcohol can change the way a person feels, it also feeds depression. I feel sorry for his fiance, and his family.  I hope that she will not feel robbed of a future, and can build a new one that will be a happy and solid future.

@Cruzin TerriSafe travels today.  Good luck at the docs, and enjoy the time spent with old friends.

Well I had a nice "race day" yesterday, None of my "guys" won, but at least the INDY was exciting, I never made it through the 600, as Donna came over to see the kittens, and DH was very tired of watching cars going around, and around, and changed the channel to PBS.  I didnt want a battle over of my one day of racing, so to be smart, we went to bed after the news, and I never changed it back over.

IF I have power after 12, I go to work.  12-6.  We are having create your own burger for dinner tonight, and invited Donna over.  She told me that she has been eating SPAM for the last week, figure she needs a break.

composite.jpg

memorial+day+cody.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

On this Memorial Day, I am reminded of a quote by Thomas Campbell, “To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.”

My DH, at the American cemetery, overlooking Omaha beach, remembering his father’s service.IMG_8214.thumb.jpeg.fb6138f8845ef418ac69fe7a7f39054d.jpeg

IMG_8212.thumb.jpeg.963f14da66d64f4d1a25f920239df1a3.jpeg

I highly recommend Overlord tours from the Le Havre port for an educational and moving visit to Normandy.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8

Happy Monday. Remembering all gave their lives to serve our country. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Expecting rain here today. Concentrating on a few inside chores and then relaxing for the rest of the day. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating.

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Pin on Cat Photo Quotes

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone.  It’s a misty day here, the Memorial Day celebration in North Andover will take on a somber tone.

Two fun days to recognize and one important one.  I’ll take your grape popsicle if you don’t want it.

I like the quote today it sums up the importance of friendship.

The meal sounds tasty and I think I would like the drink as dessert.

I have not been to today’s port; thanks for sharing your photos of it.

Prayers for those on our prayer list and for those who gave their lives protecting our country and the freedoms that we so often take for granted.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today! 🍾🇺🇸

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone.  It’s a misty day here, the Memorial Day celebration in North Andover will take on a somber tone.

Wow! I spent my formative years in North Andover. And lots of Summers at Stevens Pond. 

• Like 23

Posted (edited)

There was one Daily where the port of the day was Cruising Chilean Fjords.  I found The Daily for Sunday, August 15, 2021, by borrowing Ann's @cat shepard decoder ring.  Here is the link to that post.

In addition to Sandi's @StLouisCruisers links for the Beagle Channel, I think there might be some glacier pictures in former Dailies where Ushuaia was the port of the day on January 3, 2022, June 29, 2023 and January 22, 2024.

This is the link to the January 33, 2023 if anyone thinks they may have posted pictures of glaciers.  The links to the other two days are in this link.

There is a third possibility, although small. for glacier pictures when the port of the day was Punta Arenas, Chile.  That has been the port of the day on January 26, 2024, March 23, 2023, and August 17, 2022.  This is the link to Sandi's post for January 26,2024, and it includes links to the other two days.

I hope this is not too confusing and too much information.  I found the last two links before I finally found the one for cruising Chilean fjords.

I'll go back and read rest of the posts, and comment in a little while.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2

These are the pictures I posted on August 15, 2021, when we cruised through the beginnings of Glacier Alley after leaving Ushuaia.

I have a few pictures from the Chilean fjords, but not too many.  Let's just say the weather was not even close to it's best.  These pictures were taken between Ushuaia and Punta Arenas.

DSC02783.thumb.JPG.b288fde3254638bb5c7f4ffffef1cd98.JPG

DSC02799.thumb.JPG.054f4f274cb4b799387f1f74238d9de7.JPG

DSC02812.thumb.JPG.30613a51ae2e73f5602231767994f819.JPG

Looking back down the channel at what was trying to be a sunset and the heavy clouds we'd sailed through.

DSC02803.thumb.JPG.29e56c9d7df9e81c328e4c11f8556078.JPG

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Many of us here have been treated for skin cancer. Young people, however, not only aren't getting the message when it would do them the most good, but are increasingly receiving counter-messages.

Two new surveys suggest a troubling trend: Young adults seem to be slacking on sun safety.

In an online survey of more than 1,000 people published this month by the American Academy of Dermatology, 28 percent of 18- to 26-year-olds said they didn’t believe suntans caused skin cancer. And 37 percent said they wore sunscreen only when others nagged them about it.

In another poll, published this month by Orlando Health Cancer Institute, 14 percent of adults under 35 believed the myth that wearing sunscreen every day is more harmful than direct sun exposure.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/27/well/live/sunscreen-skin-cancer-gen-z.html?unlocked_article_code=1.vE0.k4wg.9mZPnxVdiKCI&smid=url-share

Salmon, smoky chickpeas, and greens are all fine with me, but I'm not sure that I would like them together. Would pass on the drink but if I had some lactose-free ice cream I could certainly pour a liqueur on it. There is still no Tempranillo in the Finger Lakes, so I'm treating this as a wild card and suggesting the Classic Red from Hunt Country Vineyards. "A dry red wine with subtle oak barrel aging and hints of cherries and plums, our Classic Red is a great everyday wine. It’s a wonderful partner to pasta with tomato sauces, pizza, sharp cheeses, and hearty soups and stews," $12.

burnsinhello.thumb.jpg.41b67fac9d96b1900225c3590b8161e2.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 9

Good morning on this Memorial Day.

ScreenShot2024-05-27at05_33_08.thumb.png.b068e9a20ac70e7dc2f71e500403a333.png

I think I will give @Mr. Boston my grape popsicle, love old-time player pianos and I never wore sunscreen growing up (false belief that I had more melanin and that protected me) but I do now.  Lovely John Lennon quote, a rousing yes to the meal with a just as enthusiastic no to the drink and wine.  Never been down glacier alley, and what a momentous day in history.

ScreenShot2024-05-27at05_33_57.thumb.png.a497c3f9517a3dc3cb14757ce9464540.png

It has been officially one year since I "retired" and I still haven't gotten into a routine.  As I am presently sort-of stuck at home and can't do what I normally do (sub, go to the gym, etc), I am bored stiff.  I may just pack up a lunch and head up to Mt. Lemon to sit under the pine trees!!  Or maybe Madera Canyon. We will see what the day brings.

IMG_7850.JPG.27b9514c7630b82f3aa020970e5b94eb.JPG

@RMLincoln I "lived" in Lead, SD for almost 10 years - physically only a total of ~2 as I left to travel the country and then the world for 15 years in 2001 - and worked at both the Deadwood and Spearfish hospitals.  Such a pretty place up in the Black Hills and a dramatic change from Tucson but I got used to.  Such history in Deadwood!!

IMG_7851.thumb.JPG.e0a27974d717ac93519d1f13bbbac22f.JPG

Gosh, I hope anyone who is in the path of storms stay safe.  @Cruzin Terri safe journey.  Cheers for those celebrating and have a great day everyone!

IMG_7852.JPG.4b046d7cca7a0bd94cfc9489eb057683.JPG

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 13

Currently still procrastinating leaving the house, there was a tornado warning south of us (in Newnan) but they waved that one off.  The thunder is right over us, and it is rattling the windows, scared Furnando so much, he fell out of his window sill.  But time and tide wait for no man, so off I go.

• Like 26

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Wishing all my American friends a safe and happy Memorial Day - I watched the Memorial Day Concert on PBS last night; it was beautiful and brought me to tears a number of times.  I'm a stickler for sunscreen, although DH has to be reminded constantly to put it on.  Player pianos certainly took the work out of it, and I'd like to have a grape popsicle, as I haven't had one in years.

Another mostly cloudy day out there today, but again the temperature should sneak up to about 20C (68), which is fine by me.  The trees are almost fully leafed out so we can no longer see the neighbours behind us, giving us total privacy in our back yard.  Yesterday was productive; first thing in the morning I went out and purchased 4 big bags of soil and came home and started repotting.  I did the 6 papyrus, 6 triple begonias, and made 4 succulent bowls.  Today I have 4 large curly figs that need to be potted into larger containers and the smaller ones will go in the ones vacated by the big guys.   DH did a good job instructing me where to put the plants - move them over an inch or two, turn them around, etc.  LOL  I know he wanted to do most of the work himself, and it really irked him that he couldn't, but I told him he was doing what was best for both of us.

@dfishthank you for the pictures of River; she's so lucky to have Sue and you in her life.

@Cruzin Terrisafe travels for you and DH today.  Good idea to get an early start.

@rafinmdI hope your friend will be okay.

@kazuwhat is the special gadget Jose had?  Is it one of those gardening stools/kneelers?

I would love to try the drink of the day - in fact, I may make it once the temperatures get a little higher later in the season.  Pretty sure I'd like the wine, but $$$ is stopping me from trying it.  We've about Chinese food'd ourselves out, so the rest has been put into containers and is sitting in the freezer for another time.  I like today's menu suggestion, and know we have lots of salmon, so will thaw out a couple of fillets and try a version of the first recipe which sounds quite good (just minus the kale).  It's looking like salmon with chickpeas and asparagus is what we'll be able to enjoy on the deck this evening.  And wine.

HealthyBody.jpg.d50cb6e74645e6d1727f8229eb55bbe7.jpg

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in turmoil, in grief, and in the paths of devastating storms and fires.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Good morning Dailyites from a 79 degree morning heating to 96.

We will go to the Memorial Day service,

The guest speaker will be retired Army General Vincent Brooks. Music will be provided by the 36th Infantry Division Band of the Texas Army National Guard.

Then to lunch. It has been a quiet last few days, which has been nice. I was able to enjoy our back porch, read my book, and do my chores leisurely. This coming week there are only labs.

I did some online shopping for our upcoming cruise. A few bathing suits, slacks, tops, shoes. I think I'm set. I think..

Thank you to everyone posting their photos. I really enjoy looking at them. Many thanks to our faithful Daily contributors. 

My mom used to make homemade popsicles. I liked the lemon best and would check the freezer to see if they were frozen yet. My mom finally stuck a time on the freezer when we could expect to have one.

My sweet husband is coming up on his 6th MOHS surgery scheduled in a few weeks. He farmed until he went into service, then 20 years in military and was careless on applying sun protection. 

Lifting prayers to so many today. Jacqui, Tana, safe travels Terry, safe travels Sue and Summer. Thinking of those who lost their lives to keep America safe. The poor people in war torn countries who are starving and needing shelter. The states suffering from tornado damage, losing homes and loved ones. The senseless shootings that leave family's grieving. 

Sending each of you blessings today. Have a wonderful week.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Even though it still looked like rain we headed out after lunch and posting on the Daily today.  Quite a breeze, too.  We enjoyed just walking around to the usual places, and the pics from inside the Kristiansand Cathedral are very nice.  So ✔️ on Kristiansand!

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I hope this is not too confusing and too much information.

Hmmm.  Could be, just a little bit! 😁🤪

50 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Currently still procrastinating leaving the house, there was a tornado warning south of us (in Newnan) but they waved that one off.  The thunder is right over us, and it is rattling the windows, scared Furnando so much, he fell out of his window sill.  But time and tide wait for no man, so off I go.

Wow, sorry to hear Furnando was scared right out of his window sill!  Be careful out there!  I hope everything is okay at my house.  I have several neighbors watching over it for me and haven't heard anything bad so far.

• Like 22

Humbling remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for my freedom.🙏🇺🇸❤️

Interesting collection of days - I like popsicles, but the grape one is up for grabs. Pass on the meal (salmon, chickpeas), would try the drink (I do have a bottle of Amarula, so easy to do it) and wine if someone else is buying, not been to the port but it's on my bucket list and I'm enjoying the pictures. 

Big day in history. 

No going out today if I don't have to; PT is closed so I'll do it from home. Last week's Ortho visit (frozen shoulder & poss pre-op plan) was a bust again but I was cleared to resume dry needling; had 1st session on Wed and got immediate results that are holding. OMG I didn't know whether to cry, hug the therapist or buy a lottery ticket. She did 5 places on my shoulder and I was able to put my hand behind my back, something that has been impossible for 9 months. 🤞3x/wk treatments plus the amped up PT will get me back to full range soon.

Hearing about Grayson Murray's passing is tough - my heart goes out to his circle. Having lost a brother to suicide, I understand their pain and likely mixed emotions. Prayers 🙏 to them for strength and healing.

Couple hours ago it was 77° headed to 97°; humidity has "dropped" to 94%, lol. Maybe the rains arriving later will clear the air alert - today's an Orange Day and breathing is difficult. 

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240527_072232.thumb.jpg.36046b42a66aac2df1f651ef0e8a25bc.jpg

20240527_072335.thumb.jpg.9328322fa9aa2613d520ea6ddfc631b0.jpg

20240527_072507.thumb.jpg.9f1da246d597607350d948fb2003fc20.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

Today we remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms. Sunscreen protection is important, especially to protect from skin damage and some skin cancers. Old time player pianos are disappearing. I haven't eaten a grape popsicle in a long time. Great quote. Pass on the meal (fish), yes to the drink and can't afford the wine. I've been to Glacier Alley. An important day in history.

It was rainy earlier, but is supposed to clear up. I have no plans for today. I may try to make a slow cooker favorite, so I can take some to BFF tomorrow. I also need to work on the thermostat for the upstairs AC (the one just fixed). It was flashing low battery and when I changed the batteries it still said low battery. I'll try newer ones. If I end up having to replace it, I want something I can remotely control, so I don't have to climb up to the third floor all the time. My hand joints aren't happy being off the RA med, nor my eyes. I get to resume it a week from Wednesday.

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad the rain held off for you. Very nice photos from Glacier Alley.

@aliaschief Thanks for the Carthage photos. 

@rafinmd Prayers for your church member Paul's recovery. 

@kazu I think I have the same gadget as Jose's gadget. Sorry the weather isn't cooperating for your gardening.

@ottahand7 Great photos. 

@RMLincoln I'm glad you got better sleep last night, and enjoyed the theater earlier. 

@dfish Great photos of River yesterday in the gardens.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Excellent photos. 

@marshhawk Be safe in that weather!

@Haljo1935 What is dry needling? 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

Just a few photos from my 2018 Zaandam SA/Antarctica trip, since my others are similar to those posted already.

Entering the Beagle Channel

1342791581_002-12_25.18InBeagleChannel.thumb.jpg.7fa80ca4c61793194e5418527f66e3eb.jpg

649286045_030-12_25.18BeagleChannel.thumb.jpg.984ef38c1253238373a56392863db5e3.jpg

Italia Glacier

1216638804_036-12_25.18ItaliaGlacier.thumb.jpg.466f26b0a57e9cbfaf60e1d43674aa7d.jpg

Off Ushuaia waiting to see if we can dock

388077831_050-12_25.18Ushuaia.thumb.jpg.6f8ee0ffbb69fcafcea1554de9c3c213.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 9

Wishing everyone a safe and happy Memorial Day — especially to those who served to keep us all free.  Special prayers to the families who have lost loved ones while serving our great country.

My DS and I just came back from our local parade.  It was nice but very brief.  Thinking that the Halloween parade was much longer.  

Raining now but hoping it will clear in a bit so I can get in my walk.  Best wishes.  Katherine 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Happy Memorial Day, 

It's overcast today but no rain forecasted until tomorrow. Yesterday I stayed home and did get the grad cards done - at least the ones I have confirmed are graduating - so today it's stamps and return address labels and they'll be ready to mail on Friday. This week I'll continue the quest to track down the last few who haven't responded. 

The health club is open to noon today but no classes offered so will get cleaned up and head in shortly. They have a workout posted on the wall in the pool area that is 45 minutes long and it's right next to a clock so I can do that. They'll kick us out of the pool by 11:00 or so but the workout will be good. 

Yes to the salmon but maybe without the chickpeas, love the quote, haven't been to the port, and no to the wine. 

Have a good day!

Karen

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Dry needling looks like acupuncture pins. After Allen's 1st stroke, the acute rehab gave him dry needling several times a week, which helped his muscles relax. Sometimes the muscle was sore afterwards but for the most part, worked. 

The "needle" goes into your skin, but there's no injection port, aka "dry needle"

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. Yesterday we visited the ancient city of Carthage, Tunis the Capitol of Tunisia and Medina the old section of Tunis and the old Souk.

The ancient Roman baths were huge. The aqueducts were the largest ever seen. The Souk was quiet yesterday being this North African was their day to celebrate Mother’s Day.

Today the Med. Sea is a glassy ripple as we sail to Corfu, Greece. Lot’s of new faces onboard with yesterday new crew arriving.

Thanks for the reports and post. Forever grateful for the brave men and women whose sacrifices allow us to live in freedom. ❤️🇱🇷

image.thumb.jpeg.b5e855c243bcaddcad623fb0296a006c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e074af99820d0dcb8c885a19de5db6d5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.80a9ade472da25cfbbb497045722d8df.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fbaa469beb10b1b559c21751e774218f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c051868d9ff71ef2173c8d91bc3b037e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6287d20990e934d36e2543fbc65f8b4e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.88c1ec88bde2ddfd0fdc4eaaaafd225f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7be3bbd27190dfd41a085966ac8c5a55.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.05e7db097ffc024969b10a8c2db20d17.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8ea7021575091700f0a3f95b4ca30577.jpeg

La Goulette can be a bit iffy.  We managed to dock once there on Prinsendam, but couldn't enter the sheltered area another time, on Eurodam.  I have noticed that the Nieuw Statendam had La Goulette on an itinerary and I have a feeling it will be difficult for her, if they have not enlarged the entrance.  What do you think?

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

As @luvteaching said, we're having cloudy skies but at least no rain today.  In fact today and Friday are the only days that rain isn't predicted.  I'm ready for some sunshine!  Hopefully it isn't too wet in the gardens so I can get something done there today.

Happy Memorial Day.  

We actually brought too much sunscreen with us on the GANZ so we have plenty left over.  (if our sun ever comes out again LOL!)  Grape is one flavor I don't care for, so will pass on the grape popsicle.  The drink sounds yummy as a dessert! Will pass on the expensive wine but would try it if someone else is buying. 😉  Pass on the meal -- I like salmon but not chickpeas.  We will be in Glacier Alley on the '26 World, thanks to all who posted photos!

• Like 22