Discovery Princess Balcony vs Deluxe Balcony

Been on too many cruises to ask a question like this, sorry in advance, but on the Princess website (Deck Plans) the standard balcony i.e. cabin B215 shows a larger square footage than a deluxe balcony i.e. cabin B733.....weird, right? or not lol

Any insight to the madness?? haha ...

Here's another question you might also want to ask. How many chairs and/or sofas are in a (1) regular Balcony, (2) Deluxe Balcony, (3) Premium Balcony, and (4) Premium Deluxe Balcony? We only book mini-suites or higher but have heard there is only a desk chair in a regular Balcony cabin.

• Like 1

Deluxe balconies have a loveseat and small coffee table and standard balconies only have one desk chair.  I would never book a standard balcony.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On Royal Class ships, a standard balcony has a small external balcony space and no loveseat. A Deluxe Balcony has a small external balcony and a loveseat. A Premium Balcony has a larger external balcony and no loveseat. A Premium Deluxe Balcony has a larger external balcony and a loveseat.

• Thanks 1

In both Standard & Deluxe Balcony cabins midship on Royal-class ship’s Emerald deck most have larger balconies. They’re categorized as obstructed which is only when standing at the railing & looking straight down onto the open Promenade deck…no obstruction when looking outward. Those are generally less expensive & are our favorite location on Royal-class ships.

image.thumb.png.f4a0940f90dd3e4db0de184dbfa960d3.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

On Royal Class ships, a standard balcony has a small external balcony space and no loveseat. A Deluxe Balcony has a small external balcony and a loveseat. A Premium Balcony has a larger external balcony and no loveseat. A Premium Deluxe Balcony has a larger external balcony and a loveseat.

Quoting to copy this in again...  Excellent explanation!

Balcony -  no loveseat or sitting area.. only the chair at the desk/counter

Deluxe Balcony - slightly larger cabin with the small two seat mini-sofa (loveseat).

Premium refers to the outside balcony space.  On Royal class ships, standard balcony is small.

A 'Premium' larger balcony space can be either on a standard or a Deluxe cabin.

NOTE:  Aft Wake-View Deluxe Balconies are all the 'Premium' category - but not all of them are really larger.  Check Deck-Plans.

NOTE:  There are a limited few cabins to be found that have larger balconies that are not the 'Premium' category.   Again,  check deck plans.

The larger and sometimes angled balconies mid-ship, mentioned just above, are listed as 'obstructed'..  Obstructed Balcony cabins are listed under the INTERIOR cabins, when choosing the type of cabin you want when looking online. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

Regular balconies with just the desk chair are great for solo travelers, but a bit tight for two people.

I'm a solo traveler and I don't think they are great. I want a comfortable place to sit that is not the bed or a hard chair. I was honestly shocked when I first started looking at Princess and realized that balcony cabins don't have a couch or love seat.

3 hours ago, PG_traveller said:

I'm a solo traveler and I don't think they are great. I want a comfortable place to sit that is not the bed or a hard chair. I was honestly shocked when I first started looking at Princess and realized that balcony cabins don't have a couch or love seat.

Some balcony cabins have loveseats... premium deluxe balconies.

Hey everyone, thank you very much for your input.  After reading all your comments, definitely going with the Deluxe balcony that includes the small sofa....Cruise with Royal Carib 99% of the time, and I must admit, balcony cabins are larger than princess.  But in my opinion, just my opinion, food has gone downhill on Royal....and everyone we talk to said Princess to Alaska should be the 1st choice.  So here we go, Discovery Princess, Deluxe Balcony, Alaska here we come!  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PG_traveller said:

The good news is that Princess has finally caught on and they have put sofas/loveseats in all of the balcony cabins in the new Sphere Class ships (Sun & Star). Honestly, I am surprised it took them so long. On most ships, the couch is the third (and sometimes fourth) berth. It seems like Princess was really limiting their total number of potential passengers by not having couches on all their previous class ships.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nini said:

Some balcony cabins have loveseats... premium deluxe balconies.

All deluxe balconies, obstructed and not obstructed, have loveseats, not just premium.  We like Lido deck far forward deluxe obstructed balconies and they have loveseats.  Cabins L101 and L102 are our favs with huge balconies.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

Regular balconies with just the desk chair are great for solo travelers, but a bit tight for two people.

and yet the 3 of us love standard balcony cabins and fit just fine. Go figure, right?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Deluxe balconies have a loveseat and small coffee table and standard balconies only have one desk chair.  I would never book a standard balcony.  

I booked a standard balcony on the Discovery for January and I'm going to ask the room steward if he can bring me another chair.  It never hurts to ask.

• Like 1

We recently booked a 7 day Alaskan cruise on Discovery Princess. Our favorite midship deluxe obstructed balconies were not available. Also, deluxe balconies were reserve only, so we booked an aft premium deluxe balcony for $3252 with a large balcony. Then we saw an aft mini suite available with a small balcony available for $3270. We traded the large balcony for the larger floor space, two TVs, larger couch and a bath tub.

7 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I booked a standard balcony on the Discovery for January and I'm going to ask the room steward if he can bring me another chair.  It never hurts to ask.

You can certainly ask, but don’t count on it.  Some members have asked and were told that it is not possible.  There really isn’t any room for another chair in those cabins.

13 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

and yet the 3 of us love standard balcony cabins and fit just fine. Go figure, right?

Three in one cabin?  Kudos to you!  We find it’s too tight for the two of us, but that’s just us.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Three in one cabin?  Kudos to you!  We find it’s too tight for the two of us, but that’s just us.

our friends travel with 4 (2 adults, 2 teens) in a cabin and they are fine.

Oh, both our last cruise and the cruise coming up in a couple of days on Enchanted were/will be in an inside room.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

All deluxe balconies, obstructed and not obstructed, have loveseats, not just premium.  We like Lido deck far forward deluxe obstructed balconies and they have loveseats.  Cabins L101 and L102 are our favs with huge balconies.

Yes, thank you. And you are so correct about the forward Lido cabins. OMG! We had no clue until we were in L103 on the Regal. It was a late booking to be able to with my sister and BIL and this was one of the remaining cabins available. It was fantastic!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nini said:

Yes, thank you. And you are so correct about the forward Lido cabins. OMG! We had no clue until we were in L103 on the Regal. It was a late booking to be able to with my sister and BIL and this was one of the remaining cabins available. It was fantastic!

I know!  People are worried because of the “obstructed” aspect.  Not a problem for us!  L101 and 102 have balconies even wider than the cabin because of the fire equipment closet between them.  You could have 20 people out there!

6 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I know!  People are worried because of the “obstructed” aspect.  Not a problem for us!  L101 and 102 have balconies even wider than the cabin because of the fire equipment closet between them.  You could have 20 people out there!

I loved that the people next to us had strung up a hammock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

I know!  People are worried because of the “obstructed” aspect.  Not a problem for us!  L101 and 102 have balconies even wider than the cabin because of the fire equipment closet between them.

I am not worried about the obstruction, but I don't like strong winds in my face.