Beverage package

Wirewalker

6 hours ago, Islander500 said:

This is a question my DH asked when we booked but he didn't really get a clear answer. 

We like good wine with dinner (not fancy, expensive bottles but not the cheapest, either) so we were told, you can bring your own with no corkage fee.  But carrying 14 bottles of wine on-board doesn't sound appealing unless we were visiting wine producing countries and a pain, even then.

Can anyone share some examples of what is typically "included" and available?   Is it just a white and a red?  Any specifics would be helpful....

And further, what is typically available if you've purchased the Silver Spirits Package?  Is there an available wine menu somewhere to actually see some examples?

Thank you in advance.

@CCWineLover kindly posted the wine list as of 2023 when he was cruising then. Just in case it was not clear - whether you purchase the SSBP has no effect on the availability of wines - it's just a different way to pay for those available by the glass (or discount bottles). You are always free to order and pay for a glass even if you don't have the package. 🍺🥌

Thanks @CurlerRob and @CCWineLoverThat's so helpful. 

A few more question about beverages. I am addicted to lattes and cappucinos, mostly non-alcoholic. On some cruiselines, even those are considered "specialty coffees" and are only included with their "extra cost" beverage packages.  Are those included on Viking cruises or included only if you purchase the SSBP? I checked the Viking website and it doesn't seem to address it specifically.

Also, the description of the SSBP doesn't state the maximum cost of included alcoholic drinks.  

Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, Islander500 said:

Thanks @CurlerRob and @CCWineLoverThat's so helpful. 

A few more question about beverages. I am addicted to lattes and cappucinos, mostly non-alcoholic. On some cruiselines, even those are considered "specialty coffees" and are only included with their "extra cost" beverage packages.  Are those included on Viking cruises or included only if you purchase the SSBP? I checked the Viking website and it doesn't seem to address it specifically.

Also, the description of the SSBP doesn't state the maximum cost of included alcoholic drinks.  

Thanks in advance.

Non-alcoholic coffee drinks are included.

Max SSBP drink price is $18, which covers almost everything except some champagne.

• Thanks 1

We used the complimentary coffee machines quite a lot on our Viking cruise.  Mmmm...Lattes.  Problem is they just "have" to temp you with those donuts and pastries right next to the machine.  How dare they!!....errr....munch...munch.   😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Islander500 said:

This is a question my DH asked when we booked but he didn't really get a clear answer. 

We like good wine with dinner (not fancy, expensive bottles but not the cheapest, either) so we were told, you can bring your own with no corkage fee.  But carrying 14 bottles of wine on-board doesn't sound appealing unless we were visiting wine producing countries and a pain, even then.

Can anyone share some examples of what is typically "included" and available?   Is it just a white and a red?  Any specifics would be helpful....

And further, what is typically available if you've purchased the Silver Spirits Package?  Is there an available wine menu somewhere to actually see some examples?

Thank you in advance.

Think it also depends on the ship.  On the March transatlantic cruise on the Star the wine by the glass on the SSP wasn't great at all.  Slim choices.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, hutch1994 said:

Think it also depends on the ship.  On the March transatlantic cruise on the Star the wine by the glass on the SSP wasn't great at all.  Slim choices.  

We've done several cruises this past year - different Viking ships and itineraries.  We always check the wine lists before deciding on SSBP.  Every time we say no because pretty much since COVID, they've all been VERY slim choices for wines by the glass.   Ahh  those wonderful pre-COVID cruising days!   But it is not a supply issue but a conscious business decision Viking has made regarding the wine offerings (and SSBP ) vis a vis the cocktail folks.  As I said, I do believe this is the reason you see much much fewer of those special SSBP glasses in the restaurants these days.  Our just finished cruise, one evening I only saw 2 other couples with those special stemmed glasses and most people were drinking wine (either the included or their own).

• Thanks 1

I think a lot depends on the cruise. We were in the far east earlier in the year where bringing your own on board is not a viable option. Lots of stemmed glasses!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Lets clarify this. Non-alcoholic coffee drinks along with teas and hot chocolate are complimentary 24/7, from the bars during operating hours and from the machines in the World Cafe for all guest.

You do not need to buy the drinks package in order to get unlimited access to cappuccinos, lattes and espresso.

House wines, house beers and soft drinks are complimentary at meals but must be purchased outside of those times.

4 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

which covers almost everything except some champagne.

And the very top shelf whisk(e)ys, bourbons, etc.

• Like 1

We are cocktail drinkers but although the wines on the SSP are not as robust as they were pre-covid I do think they are better than the included.  I don't have a sophisticated palate/nose ( I can never identify apricots or lavender etc or whatever the wineries suggest) and know very little about wines but I do know how it tastes to me. So we continue to get the SSP.  We were on the British Isle Cruise in May, One of the bartenders was very helpful with some wine choices.  I have found that they have more time than wine stewards in the dining room at meals. Experienced Viking Bartenders have often suggested something that is NOT on the menu because there are only a few bottles onboard.  We drank fewer cocktails or  wine with the very busy British Isle itinerary...I really like a few sea days and chance to sleep late and maybe some pool time. We  found last fall there are far more choices of wines on SSP on the River ships.  We are headed to Zurich to Paris this fall and will report back. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, deec said:

Experienced Viking Bartenders have often suggested something that is NOT on the menu because there are only a few bottles onboard. 

We have so many times asked if there are any other choices - both for included wines, and SSBP.  We have rarely if ever been disappointed and told no.  We find this to be true with the Wine Stewards, and have never asked a Bartender, but we will now.

12 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

We have so many times asked if there are any other choices - both for included wines, and SSBP.  We have rarely if ever been disappointed and told no.  We find this to be true with the Wine Stewards, and have never asked a Bartender, but we will now.

Introduce yourself to the wine steward and ask for a recommendation. During your cruise if you happen upon a wine of your liking, he may set aside low stock for you. This has happened to use a couple of times. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, deec said:

We are cocktail drinkers but although the wines on the SSP are not as robust as they were pre-covid I do think they are better than the included.  I don't have a sophisticated palate/nose ( I can never identify apricots or lavender etc or whatever the wineries suggest) and know very little about wines but I do know how it tastes to me. So we continue to get the SSP.  We were on the British Isle Cruise in May, One of the bartenders was very helpful with some wine choices.  I have found that they have more time than wine stewards in the dining room at meals. Experienced Viking Bartenders have often suggested something that is NOT on the menu because there are only a few bottles onboard.  We drank fewer cocktails or  wine with the very busy British Isle itinerary...I really like a few sea days and chance to sleep late and maybe some pool time. We  found last fall there are far more choices of wines on SSP on the River ships.  We are headed to Zurich to Paris this fall and will report back. 

Dee - we've had the same experience with bartenders.  We got to know Mike on the Mars this past cruise at the Aquavit Bar (our hangout).  He was so good.  He got to know our tastes and would often tell us: " I've got to remove inventory", meaning there were bottles of red wine and champagne even (not sparkling) that had been opened and were going to be tossed....  so he would suggest our trying them (no cost).  He was fantastic!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Introduce yourself to the wine steward and ask for a recommendation. During your cruise if you happen upon a wine of your liking, he may set aside low stock for you. This has happened to use a couple of times. 

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Dee - we've had the same experience with bartenders.  We got to know Mike on the Mars this past cruise at the Aquavit Bar (our hangout).  He was so good.  He got to know our tastes and would often tell us: " I've got to remove inventory", meaning there were bottles of red wine and champagne even (not sparkling) that had been opened and were going to be tossed....  so he would suggest our trying them (no cost).  He was fantastic!!

If you don't ask you will not get.  We learned this a long time ago.

"Sorry, I really don't enjoy Chardonnay.  Do you have another included white?" 

"Yes Sir, we do, I will be right back with a couple of choices."

The fact is that most of the wines on the Wine List are not that much superior to the daily included wines in price or quality and they aim to please.  We have experienced rules that bend many times without a second thought if you ask.  They just have more stock of the included wines.

• Like 2

On 6/13/2024 at 8:41 AM, OneSixtyToOne said:

Max SSBP drink price is $18, which covers almost everything except some champagne.

Does anyone know how much availability there is for decaf drinks? We have a member of our party who can't do caffeine for health reasons and I'd love to tell her what to expect.

27 minutes ago, Cruiseceruleanweasel said:

Does anyone know how much availability there is for decaf drinks? We have a member of our party who can't do caffeine for health reasons and I'd love to tell her what to expect.

I can’t drink caffeinated coffee & always get decaf on board.  It’s not bad from Living Room bar. 

Is there ice readily available at/near the coffee/tea stations, or in the buffet area? I've gleaned that iced tea is not widely on offer, or at least isn't very good. I'm perfectly happy to brew tea and pour it over a bunch of ice, but that is certainly made easier with access to ice.

Same question about lemons - readily available, or should I get a bottle of lemon juice from a store either in London before the cruise or at a shop in any random port? I'm a self-admitted lemon freak.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruiseceruleanweasel said:

Decaf coffee pods to use with the in-room coffee maker are replenished every day by the room steward.

I only drink decaf coffee and I am an early riser and want that decaf in my cabin - usually by 5:00am or 5:30am.

I put the room service card out each night before bed and very routinely get my decaf coffee delivered to my cabin.

We generally book only V1's or V2's and these don't have the coffee makers, but they are way too loud for 5:00am as my husband sleeps while I have my coffee.  I have heard coffee makers through the walls from the next cabin before.

I always mark on the room service menu for one KNOCK on the door or only one push of the buzzer when the coffee arrives and to leave it on the floor outside the door.  This never wakes him.

18 hours ago, NightShayde said:

Is there ice readily available at/near the coffee/tea stations, or in the buffet area? I've gleaned that iced tea is not widely on offer, or at least isn't very good. I'm perfectly happy to brew tea and pour it over a bunch of ice, but that is certainly made easier with access to ice.

Same question about lemons - readily available, or should I get a bottle of lemon juice from a store either in London before the cruise or at a shop in any random port? I'm a self-admitted lemon freak.

There is an ice machine at the WC drink stations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bookbabe said:

There is an ice machine at the WC drink stations.

I love the flavored teas at the station.  Will grab a couple bags with a cup of hot water,  then use the ice machine to fill another cup with ice, combine...  Mmmm...really good ice tea.  🙂 

• Like 3

On 6/14/2024 at 7:49 PM, NightShayde said:

You can pick up slices of lemon at World Cafe, Living Room bar or ask for it at breakfast in Restaurant. I always take a small ‘Lock n Lock’ box with me and replenish it at these venues to use in my stateroom.

• Like 1