Simply more for culinary class?

kahuna21

3 hours ago, kahuna21 said:

Can we apply our simply more credit against the cost of a culinary class?

Good question. The prepaid coking classes do end up on your prepurchased shore excursions PDF. But that doesn’t guarantee they’ll be counted as “tours.”

We were not able to use SM shore excursion credits to book an on board cooking class on our upcoming Riviera sailing.   I called O directly and was told shore excursion credits did not apply to the classes. To bad, we would have booked a class every day and booked private excursions or just walked the ports

• Thanks 2

Yet there are people that have posted here that they were able to do it onboard. I have no idea, just find it curious. Maybe it's one of those things that vary from ship to ship. 

1 hour ago, Nignups said:

Do you get to select day, time and menu of cookery class? Can’t find info or how to arrange. I’m a newby

Go to 'Manage your booking'. Cooking classes are under 'Other options'.

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Yet there are people that have posted here that they were able to do it onboard. I have no idea, just find it curious. Maybe it's one of those things that vary from ship to ship

Not sure if this is a bit of an answer but there are certain excursions which are culinary classes - for instance “Cooking with Spices” (an example). You visit a spice farm with the O chef and return to the ship to do a culinary class. This allows you to you to use your SM excursion allowance for what is essentially an enhanced cooking class.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ORV said:

Yet there are people that have posted here that they were able to do it onboard. I have no idea, just find it curious. Maybe it's one of those things that vary from ship to ship. 

I’ve had situations in the past where I’ve had an obc that stated it was not useable for gratuities.  But on the actual onboard accounting, the credit was simply applied to the account and offset all costs including gratuities. Maybe a system error. I’ll just wait until I’m onboard and see how the accounting looks. I certainly can’t argue that the culinary class is an excursion, so if the SM credit does apply to the class, it will be a freebie. 

On 6/1/2024 at 7:10 AM, Nignups said:

Do you get to select day, time and menu of cookery class? Can’t find info or how to arrange. I’m a newby

Cooking classes are scheduled for a specific date and time.  On our last cruise of 14 days I think there were classes on about 6 days, each different.  Many were one day a few were two in a day.  They fill up very fast so must book when they become available.

And you never know when they may be available. We have a cruise in October and they just became available about 3 weeks ago.  We also have a cruise for June, 2025 and they were available last week.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2024 at 9:40 AM, Robjame said:

Not sure if this is a bit of an answer but there are certain excursions which are culinary classes - for instance “Cooking with Spices” (an example). You visit a spice farm with the O chef and return to the ship to do a culinary class. This allows you to you to use your SM excursion allowance for what is essentially an enhanced cooking class.

Great suggestion. Will remember for future cruises as an option.

On 6/1/2024 at 3:58 PM, islabahia said:

Both cooking classes on our November Thanksgiving cruise on Marina are sold out.  

Yes you need to book the classes as soon as they post them.  They fill up fast.  Remember you can wait list for a class.  Also show up for the class, sometimes a person forgets and does show up--you being at then class let's you in the open space because they don't have time to call a wait listing person as the class is starting.

9 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

And you never know when they may be available. We have a cruise in October and they just became available about 3 weeks ago.  We also have a cruise for June, 2025 and they were available last week.

And, for our 22-day cruise starting this month, the classes were never announced to us. I kept checking. They became available about 6 weeks before the cruise. When I checked, I got the last 2 spots available in any class. So all classes sold out in, at most, a few  days. 

10 hours ago, kahuna21 said:

And, for our 22-day cruise starting this month, the classes were never announced to us. I kept checking. They became available about 6 weeks before the cruise. When I checked, I got the last 2 spots available in any class. So all classes sold out in, at most, a few  days. 

They were never announced to us either. You just have to be vigilant in checking your online bookings to see when they are available.  We got one class on the October cruise and 2 for the June, 2025 cruise. Those were all booked just yesterday.  So they can linger for a while. I was surprised there was still availability for the October cruise. 

We have several excursions called "Chef Led....Cooking Class" on our cruise. It looks to be bookable, but I didn't try doing it.  But I have a question about another excursion so maybe tomorrow I'll ask Oceania about booking one of the Chef Led excursions - whether pay full price, use my SM Shorex credit or shipboard credit, get 25% off if I pre-purchase a package, etc. 

33 minutes ago, roothy123 said:

We have several excursions called "Chef Led....Cooking Class" on our cruise. It looks to be bookable, but I didn't try doing it.  But I have a question about another excursion so maybe tomorrow I'll ask Oceania about booking one of the Chef Led excursions - whether pay full price, use my SM Shorex credit or shipboard credit, get 25% off if I pre-purchase a package, etc. 

if it’s on the excursions PDF and online cart excursions choices, it’s an excursion.

30 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

if it’s on the excursions PDF and online cart excursions choices, it’s an excursion.

Well, that's what I assumed.  But there seemed to be a little confusion over it.  

I'm curious.  I never really considered taking cooking classes before.  But with Simply More and some nice loyalty/TA credit, I might consider one. My cruise isn't until December, so the only thing listed in the "Other" section of My Reservation is something that's apparently not actually a cooking class.  It's a 2 hour session called "Floribbean: Florida Meets Caribbean."  Oceania will be sharing recipies from favorite chefs, restaurants and home kitchens of Oceania Headquarters employees.  It says to join in for cool drinks, delicious food and lots of dancing & singing.  Have you ever attended one of these?  Might be fun.

On 6/5/2024 at 7:40 PM, roothy123 said:

Well, that's what I assumed.  But there seemed to be a little confusion over it.  

I'm curious.  I never really considered taking cooking classes before.  But with Simply More and some nice loyalty/TA credit, I might consider one. My cruise isn't until December, so the only thing listed in the "Other" section of My Reservation is something that's apparently not actually a cooking class.  It's a 2 hour session called "Floribbean: Florida Meets Caribbean."  Oceania will be sharing recipies from favorite chefs, restaurants and home kitchens of Oceania Headquarters employees.  It says to join in for cool drinks, delicious food and lots of dancing & singing.  Have you ever attended one of these?  Might be fun.

We booked our cooking class last week for our Thanksgiving cruise.  My TA said just keep checking and sure enough the class opened for reservation.  Within several hours both classes were sold out.  

We are on Vista for the Christmas holiday cruise.  Culinary classes have been available since early last week, or at least that's when I first saw them.  I put a class in my cart but didn't purcahse it and it remained there for a week until I came back, deciding to book it if it was still available and was surprised to find it still in my cart.  And as of now, all the classes are available for booking - 4 different days, one being an evening "Dessert Party" on a port day.

One thing that is a bit odd is that there are 2 classes, "Mexican Fiesta", scheduled for Christmas Day.   Does this mean that O is not doing any special meals on Christmas?  We've never been on a holiday sailing before but decided to do this since we no longer have family or friends around to celebrate with.