Chichén Itzá - one of the 7 wonders of the modern world. So why does Royal not have an excursion?

Probably because it's a 45 minute ferry ride, then 2 hours minimum one way to Chichen Itza. I was on one cruise when the seas kicked up so much that the ferries couldn't cross from Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel. Luckily everyone who was supposed to be on board got back in the last ferry. There was a lot of biological material left on the ferry. 

• Like 2

I believe Progreso is much closer to Chichen Itza than Cozumel. And no ferry ride is involved. Sorry I can't help with a tour company. When we stopped there, a ship excursion was available. 

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

Probably because it's a 45 minute ferry ride, then 2 hours minimum one way to Chichen Itza. I was on one cruise when the seas kicked up so much that the ferries couldn't cross from Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel. Luckily everyone who was supposed to be on board got back in the last ferry. There was a lot of biological material left on the ferry. 

There is no ferry ride involved from Progresso.

Generally there is an excursion offered. Perhaps it isn’t posted yet, is full or your port hours aren’t long enough? I am not sure I would want to do it privately despite the distance being much less sand easier than from Coxumel.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We did Chichén Itzá from Cozumel on a RCI cruise last fall. As said by others, 45m ferry ride, 10-15m walk, and a 2 hour bus ride each way. It's a long day. It was a 9 hour excursion that actually ran longer than that on a 10.5 hour port stop.

I am not familiar with Progreso, but Google maps says it's 2h15m each way. Depending on how long you are in port, it seems like it should be doable, especially since you don't need a ferry ride.

I was also thinking the same thing @c-leg5 said about full or not posted, and also suggest checking for  a private tour. 

Edited by RobInMN

Maybe call Royal and ask. I’ve done Chichen Itza from Progresso and it’s usually offered as an excursion from there. 
I’d be hesitant to use anyone other than Royal as it’s a very long ride and if they’re not back in time you’d get left behind. 

• Like 1

Pre Covid, I remember there was an excursion that flew a small plane from Cozumel to Chichen Itza....  wasn't cheap, but between the ferry and the bus ride time...you save a ton of time.   You better make darn sure you can handle the heat..... it was crazy HOT.  It was crazy hot in the shade.... and OMG why did I come here hot, out of the shade.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Glide_Path said:

Pre Covid, I remember there was an excursion that flew a small plane from Cozumel to Chichen Itza....  wasn't cheap, but between the ferry and the bus ride time...you save a ton of time.   You better make darn sure you can handle the heat..... it was crazy HOT.  It was crazy hot in the shade.... and OMG why did I come here hot, out of the shade.

The OP is not going from Cozumel.

16 hours ago, caymancouple said:

Royal has no shore excrusion

I'm actually surprised by this.  How far out from the sailing are you?  I was on Radiance the first week of March this year and Royal offered two excursions to Chichén Itzá from Progreso.   One included a cenote swim and "authentic Mexican" buffet lunch and a second with no cenote and a bag lunch (fairly decent ham & cheese) consumed on the bus.  Both excursions seemed pretty well booked... not much else to do in Progreso.

As others noted it is a LONG day.  We departed immediately upon arrival (10:30am ship time) and got back to the ship about 30-40 minutes before all aboard (all aboard 6:30pm).  Even with that and skipping the cenote, I didn't feel like we had enough time on site.  If booking independently, definitely be aware of the timing.

Also, it was HOT (94F on March 6) so stay hydrated.  Coming from a winter climate, that was a rude awakening.  Tour guide said they have two seasons there... "hot" and "very hot".  The "very hot" season starts around March.

Good luck!

image.thumb.jpeg.c36a9c76b63b711546fa80abc54bf867.jpeg

54 minutes ago, caymancouple said:

It is in January of 2025.

Is this a 4/5 day from Texas? 

A lot of those sailings have had their itinerary changed in the past whichever is why excursions may not be finalized. I am not sure what the current situation is with Progreso.

5 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Is this a 4/5 day from Texas? 

A lot of those sailings have had their itinerary changed in the past whichever is why excursions may not be finalized. I am not sure what the current situation is with Progreso.

Nope it is a 9 day on the Jewel.  Leaves January 4th I think without going to look.

2 minutes ago, caymancouple said:

Nope it is a 9 day on the Jewel.  Leaves January 4th I think without going to look.

OK I don’t know if that would be affected - that is a fairly unique itinerary. Are there many other excursions posted?

I do still think it may be because it is early but I see it offered on broker sites so timing must be OK.

3 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

OK I don’t know if that would be affected - that is a fairly unique itinerary. Are there many other excursions posted?

I do still think it may be because it is early but I see it offered on broker sites so timing must be OK.

there are a bunch of excursions posted.  When I get a second I will call Royal, I doubt I get anysort of answer, but I will try.  Thanks

• Like 1

AutoProgreso is the local bus company and they offer excursions from Progreso to Chichen Itza.  Since we winter near Progreso, I have never used their cruise excursions.  However, I regularly use their busses from Progreso to Merida.

On Vision they did have ship excursions to Chichen, but we found it MUCH better to take AutoProgreso tour to Uxmal.  Almost as large ruins, well excavated, closer, and far fewer people there and on tour (we had 6, a guide and a driver).  Note that tour times usually are around 9 from their bus depot, and getting there early isn't of much value.  This company provides the bus along the very long pier, so instead of getting off at the beach you just continue on to the terminal.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, LeeW said:

On Vision they did have ship excursions to Chichen, but we found it MUCH better to take AutoProgreso tour to Uxmal.  Almost as large ruins, well excavated, closer, and far fewer people there and on tour (we had 6, a guide and a driver).  Note that tour times usually are around 9 from their bus depot, and getting there early isn't of much value.  This company provides the bus along the very long pier, so instead of getting off at the beach you just continue on to the terminal.

Doesn’t the cruise line contract with Autoprogreso for their tours or has that changed?

I do know the bus tries to sell tours while they have you captive going along the pier! 

Edited by c-leg5

On 6/6/2024 at 10:37 AM, caymancouple said:

It is in January of 2025.

What are your port hours?

We are going to Progreso from the Brilliance in December 30, 2024 and Royal has 2 Chichen itza excursions plus another from Cozumel.  Our port times are 7-3p in Progreso.  Really surprised nothing showing for you as these excursions have been up for us for months.  Maybe the port times?  Not the hours but the actual time?  

14 hours ago, jean87510 said:

What are your port hours?

We are going to Progreso from the Brilliance in December 30, 2024 and Royal has 2 Chichen itza excursions plus another from Cozumel.  Our port times are 7-3p in Progreso.  Really surprised nothing showing for you as these excursions have been up for us for months.  Maybe the port times?  Not the hours but the actual time?  

We are in Progreso on January 6th.   7am to 4pm.  I sent Royal an email asking why no Chichen Itza tours.... no reply.

2 hours ago, caymancouple said:

We are in Progreso on January 6th.   7am to 4pm.  I sent Royal an email asking why no Chichen Itza tours.... no reply.

That's really odd.