mixing and matching rooms for drink packages

Is this somethign that can be done? Basically, My wife and I are going on a cruise with her parents. 2 seperate rooms. Her dad and I are the only ones that drink and we want to buy the deluxe drink package. Since everyone in the room has to get a package, we are thinking of putting her dad and I in one room (we buy the package), and her and her mom in another (they dont buy the package). Once on board we give each other access to both rooms so wife and I can always stay in our room and her parents in theirs. At first glance this seems simple enough but I'm wondering if this would be an issue in any ways that I'm not considering, including causing issues against RC policies. Originally we figured wife and I would buy them and she would just buy drinks for her dad, but I think this is much worse as it would be "sharing", even if she doesnt drink. So we are now considering this room solution. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

While I don't know if having drink packages involved would make any difference, swapping rooms is a non-issue. Usually it sounds like it involves needing to split parents in 2 different rooms with kids, and things like that. I've never done this personally, but reading this board, it sounds like GS couldn't really care less where people sleep. You could either have them switch your rooms where you only have access to 1 room, or they can give you additional cards for the other room so you have access to both.

If your DW & MIL are good with the refreshment package, you can call. Phone agents can book the DBP for 1 person, but it sounds like they usually require the other person to get the refreshment package.

While I have never done this myself, I have no reason to believe that splitting up the boys and the girls wouldn’t work.  Just be sure that when you check in, that everyone uses their own credit card so that the onboard charges don’t get commingled.  

People do this regularly.  Buying drinks for her dad isn't an option. If caught they charge all drinks at full price AND cancel the deluxe package with no refund.

As RobinMN said, you can buy one deluxe and one refreshment package in a room, but you have to call for that.  Depends on if people drink a lot of coffee, juices and non-alcohol drinks to make this worthwhile.

13 minutes ago, LeeW said:

People do this regularly.  Buying drinks for her dad isn't an option. If caught they charge all drinks at full price AND cancel the deluxe package with no refund.

As RobinMN said, you can buy one deluxe and one refreshment package in a room, but you have to call for that.  Depends on if people drink a lot of coffee, juices and non-alcohol drinks to make this worthwhile.

Yeah I figured, regarding buying drinks for her dad. We aren't trying to do anythign that would get us in any trouble. Mixing Deluxe and refreshment packages seems like a possible solution  but I didnt see the option when trying to purchase online, thanks for letting me know abotu calling it in!

We are doing this for our upcoming family cruise. DS and I in one cabin with drink packages and DW and DD in other cabin with refreshment packages. Then we will decide onboard if its the boys in one cabin and girls in other cabin or not.

14 minutes ago, boxkite said:

We are doing this for our upcoming family cruise. DS and I in one cabin with drink packages and DW and DD in other cabin with refreshment packages. Then we will decide onboard if its the boys in one cabin and girls in other cabin or not.

This always strikes me as a pain.  In order to accomplish this (assuming you and DW end up in one cabin and DS & DD in the other)... you need to get extra key cards for two of you from GS once on board.  Then those people need to keep up with one card for charging/activities and different card for room access.   

Obviously to each their own, but I prefer using just one card, and if we need to split between ultimate and refreshment package, I'd call and say "wife (or I) don't drink, and we'd like one ultimate package and one refreshment package."  If I get denied, hang up and call back lter. 

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

This always strikes me as a pain.  In order to accomplish this (assuming you and DW end up in one cabin and DS & DD in the other)... you need to get extra key cards for two of you from GS once on board.  Then those people need to keep up with one card for charging/activities and different card for room access.   

Obviously to each their own, but I prefer using just one card, and if we need to split between ultimate and refreshment package, I'd call and say "wife (or I) don't drink, and we'd like one ultimate package and one refreshment package."  If I get denied, hang up and call back lter. 

We’ve done it on every cruise we’ve been on (different reason) and it’s super dimple and not the least annoying. 

9 hours ago, juanarcin said:

Is this somethign that can be done? Basically, My wife and I are going on a cruise with her parents. 2 seperate rooms. Her dad and I are the only ones that drink and we want to buy the deluxe drink package. Since everyone in the room has to get a package, we are thinking of putting her dad and I in one room (we buy the package), and her and her mom in another (they dont buy the package). Once on board we give each other access to both rooms so wife and I can always stay in our room and her parents in theirs. At first glance this seems simple enough but I'm wondering if this would be an issue in any ways that I'm not considering, including causing issues against RC policies. Originally we figured wife and I would buy them and she would just buy drinks for her dad, but I think this is much worse as it would be "sharing", even if she doesnt drink. So we are now considering this room solution. Any thoughts?

Yes this will work fine…..there are no “sleep police” 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

We’ve done it on every cruise we’ve been on (different reason) and it’s super dimple and not the least annoying. 

That's why I said "to each their own".  Knowing ME, I'd grab my key card when I need to purchase something or my purchase card when I need to open the door.  

And yes, I routinely walk around with multiple cards.  Debit cards, bank cards, reward cards, and since I travel often, key cards.  One benefit on a cruise is I just need to carry one card (until I go off the ship, then I take a 2nd one).  So I will do some extra leg work ahead of time to keep that benefit. 

10 minutes ago, temple1 said:

If  concerned about using the correct keycard, a Sharpie will take care of that problem.

Still got to pull it out of whatever holder in order to see the sharpie mark. 😉

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Getting "caught" doing what exactly.  They can do this with no impunity at all.  It not the business of the ship to say who sleeps where.  The men in one room with the drink package is perfectly "legal".  OK I re-read your post and I get that you are referring to giving someone drinks on the pkg.  But their arrangement is very good strategy.

Edited by BecciBoo

18 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

This always strikes me as a pain. In order to accomplish this (assuming you and DW end up in one cabin and DS & DD in the other)... you need to get extra key cards for two of you from GS once on board. Then those people need to keep up with one card for charging/activities and different card for room access.

Obviously to each their own, but I prefer using just one card, and if we need to split between ultimate and refreshment package, I'd call and say "wife (or I) don't drink, and we'd like one ultimate package and one refreshment package." If I get denied, hang up and call back lter.

You dont need a second card... you just tell guest services you want to swap rooms, they take the old keys and print new ones. It takes 2 minutes 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Miloomar said:

You dont need a second card... you just tell guest services you want to swap rooms, they take the old keys and print new ones. It takes 2 minutes 

Well, that changes things.  

I'd still prefer having things set up the way I want ahead of time. 

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Still got to pull it out of whatever holder in order to see the sharpie mark. 😉

Such a first world problem. 

1 hour ago, Miloomar said:

But won’t that mess with the drink packages?

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

But won’t that mess with the drink packages?

No why would it? It's tied to the person not the cabin. I did this in October and plan on doing it again in December and no one blinked an eye

23 minutes ago, Miloomar said:

No why would it? It's tied to the person not the cabin. I did this in October and plan on doing it again in December and no one blinked an eye

I would have assumed also since they say every person in a stateroom has to have it, by changing rooms inboard now every person in the new stateroom doesn't have it. Seems like a very basic loophole that would be exploited often. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 8:49 AM, LeeW said:

Saw someone after caught sharing a package with his supposed Non-Drinking Wife and Daughter in another Cabin. He was repriced and charged a Ton for each Drink consumed by all of them. Every Alcoholic, Soda Pop, Juice and water bottle. This was pre-CV when a his single package was cheap. He was Loud and Pis+ed! 

1 hour ago, juanarcin said:

I would have assumed also since they say every person in a stateroom has to have it, by changing rooms inboard now every person in the new stateroom doesn't have it. Seems like a very basic loophole that would be exploited often. 

We did exactly this but we did it to maximize our C&A Balcony discount on our family cruise.  We put myself and Son-in-law in one cabin and DW and DD in another.  This way we got the discount on both rooms.  We also had a mix of drink packages from nothing all the the way to DBP.  We rearranged the cabins at GS once on board and nobody cared and it had no impact on the one who had the DBP (me 🙂)