Hotel in Cape Town

Does anyone know what hotel Regent will be using in Cape Town the night of Jan. 4 before the cruise from Cape Town to Rio?  We are arriving a couple of days early and would prefer to use the same hotel.

We have been assigned the Victoria and Alfred Hotel. We are doing pre cruise Safari, from Johannesburg, before joining cruise in Capetown.

looking forward to Safari and cruise.

Stefken:  

You will enjoy the Victoria and Alfred Hotel.  Stayed there, pre-COVID, at the suggestion of our TA, for several days on our own before transfer to Regent's assigned downtown hotel; then onward for a precruise Safari prior to boarding Mariner. 

Excellent Waterfront location.  Many fine restaurants in easy walking distance from V&A.  Concierge very helpful in facilitating local tours. 

Upon return from Safari segment--boarded Mariner at a Waterfront Pier.  V&A was only three blocks away. 

GOARMY!

I have heard good comments about the V&A Hotel too.  Haven't stayed there but loved the Waterfront - stayed at the "Nellie" - Mt Nelson Hotel - and loved it.  It isn't quite in the thick of things although you can easily walk downtown, Governor's Garden etc.   Nellie was a favourite of Rhodesians who would get off the ships in Cape Town and spend a night before taking the long (3-4 day) train ride home.

On 6/13/2024 at 4:33 PM, Stefken said:

We have been assigned the Victoria and Alfred Hotel. We are doing pre cruise Safari, from Johannesburg, before joining cruise in Capetown.

looking forward to Safari and cruise.

Are you doing a Safari on your own or through RSS.   We are starting planning for a May 2026 CPT to MIA via Lisbon and would like to do a week tour in advance to Victoria Falls and a Safari. 

Trying to figure out if that is possible using RSS flilghts.    Really new to RSS so apologize if a stupid question.  I don't yet understand their flights and "Deviations".  

Just completed a safari not connected to Regent.  But flew into Cape Town from SFO, did the Safari and returned to Cape Town to fly home.  We went to a private lodge outside Kruger in South Africa, Zambia to see Victoria Falls and Botswana to see the Okavango Delta.  We had a great trip and would be glad to share information with you if you are interested.

Posted (edited)
On 6/18/2024 at 12:12 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Are you doing a Safari on your own or through RSS.   We are starting planning for a May 2026 CPT to MIA via Lisbon and would like to do a week tour in advance to Victoria Falls and a Safari. 

Trying to figure out if that is possible using RSS flilghts.    Really new to RSS so apologize if a stupid question.  I don't yet understand their flights and "Deviations".  

Not a stupid question at all.

we are doing the Safari through RSSC. It’s one of the pre cruise tours, offered by RSSC.We leave everything to them now, especially after Covid. It gives us peace of mind knowing if anything happens in the world that we can’t pre empt they are responsible for getting us to where we need to be or home, or.anything else that needs doing. They have never let us down yet.

if you go on the cruise for 5th January 2025, and look at pre options it may give you an idea of the Safari etc. they have on offer.if you’ve booked it should be available on your Account under pre cruise. It’s under the Hotel/Land package option on account site.

hope this helps.

🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳

Edited by Stefken

On 6/18/2024 at 12:12 AM, Jim_Iain said:

If you deviate you can use Regent Air to fly to your cruise destination up to 30 days before embarcation, and you can fly home up to 30 days after the cruise.  Some people have successfully flown home from a different city than where the cruise ended.  I have not heard of doing that on the way to the cruise, but you can always ask.  Of course it costs $75 for you or your TA to talk to Regent Air, but that is applied to the $175 per person deviation fee if you choose to book the air with them.

1 hour ago, SusieQft said:

If you deviate you can use Regent Air to fly to your cruise destination up to 30 days before embarcation, and you can fly home up to 30 days after the cruise.  Some people have successfully flown home from a different city than where the cruise ended.  I have not heard of doing that on the way to the cruise, but you can always ask.  Of course it costs $75 for you or your TA to talk to Regent Air, but that is applied to the $175 per person deviation fee if you choose to book the air with them.

Thanks for your kind reply.    I had not heard of the $175 per person deviation fee until now.   So much to learn.   At least my cruise is far out and haven't booked yet while I learn more about all the little things only experienced RSS cruisers are passing on.  

On 6/20/2024 at 9:35 AM, Stefken said:

Not a stupid question at all.

we are doing the Safari through RSSC. It’s one of the pre cruise tours, offered by RSSC.We leave everything to them now, especially after Covid. It gives us peace of mind knowing if anything happens in the world that we can’t pre empt they are responsible for getting us to where we need to be or home, or.anything else that needs doing. They have never let us down yet.

if you go on the cruise for 5th January 2025, and look at pre options it may give you an idea of the Safari etc. they have on offer.if you’ve booked it should be available on your Account under pre cruise. It’s under the Hotel/Land package option on account site.

hope this helps.

🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳

Thanks for the information.   I had looked at the Safari's offered.  While they looked ok I really also wanted to see Victoria Falls and some of the Safari's close to Victoria Falls really look interesting.   As we continue to age the ability to do this type of cruise/Safari may be limited.

We are not planning on the cruise until 2026 so plenty of time to plan.   

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

At least my cruise is far out and haven't booked yet

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are not planning on the cruise until 2026 so plenty of time to plan. 

Might be worth booking the cruise now to avoid future Regent price rises and to ensure a good choice of suites.

Then plan your pre/post cruise activities & flights at leisure.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Some people have successfully flown home from a different city than where the cruise ended.  I have not heard of doing that on the way to the cruise, but you can always ask.

We are doing that on our cruise in August. The cruise leaves from Barcelona but we wanted to spend a few days in London beforehand so had the included BC air from YVR to London.  They also handled our flight from London to Barcelona though we had to pay for it. We could have done it ourselves but when i looked up the cost of flights it wasn't any more expensive to have Regent handle the whole itinerary so we booked through Regent. We are flying on BA and the advantage for us is we can select our seats right when we deviated for both flights and not pay to pick them had we booked the one ourselves. 

On 6/18/2024 at 1:13 PM, H2O Polo Willie said:

Just completed a safari not connected to Regent.  But flew into Cape Town from SFO, did the Safari and returned to Cape Town to fly home.  We went to a private lodge outside Kruger in South Africa, Zambia to see Victoria Falls and Botswana to see the Okavango Delta.  We had a great trip and would be glad to share information with you if you are interested.

We are ending our cruise in Capetown next June and are interested in doing a safari like the one you did.  We are going to look at Regent's offering when posted, but would love to look into the safari you did.  So if you could post the info I'd be eternally grateful.

Quick question....what did you do with you luggage while on safari?  Did the tour company hold it or anything?  

Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2024 at 8:21 AM, papaflamingo said:

We are ending our cruise in Capetown next June and are interested in doing a safari like the one you did.  We are going to look at Regent's offering when posted, but would love to look into the safari you did.  So if you could post the info I'd be eternally grateful.

Quick question....what did you do with you luggage while on safari?  Did the tour company hold it or anything?  

It depends on the tour.  For our upcoming one (Victoria Falls) Regent will ship one bag per person to the airport hotel in Jo-burg where you will overnight prior to the flight home.

Victoria Falls and Chobe Game Lodge.pdf

Edited by PaulMCO

19 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

It depends on the tour.  For our upcoming one (Victoria Falls) Regent will ship one bag per person to the airport hotel in Jo-burg where you will overnight prior to the flight home.

Victoria Falls and Chobe Game Lodge.pdf 157.15 kB · 2 downloads

Thank you.  That is definitely one of the tours we'd be interested in, but at this time it is not offered for our cruise.  There are only 2 offered, one stays in Cape Town and tours then goes to Sabi Sands in Krueger National Park.  The other spends a night in Cape Town then goes to Ngala Game Preserve in Krueger National Park.  

So we are looking at private tours since we'd really like to go to Victoria Falls. If you happen to have any tour companies that you have contacted or used that you might recommend, that would help.  

We're still hoping Regent will add the tour you referenced. 

On 6/30/2024 at 12:48 AM, papaflamingo said:

So we are looking at private tours since we'd really like to go to Victoria Falls. If you happen to have any tour companies that you have contacted or used that you might recommend, that would help.

Something you need to be aware of:  The distance from Capetown to Victoria Falls is approximately 1,200 miles.  With that in mind, it would not likely be a simple small private day trip.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2024 at 6:48 AM, papaflamingo said:

Thank you.  That is definitely one of the tours we'd be interested in, but at this time it is not offered for our cruise.  There are only 2 offered, one stays in Cape Town and tours then goes to Sabi Sands in Krueger National Park.  The other spends a night in Cape Town then goes to Ngala Game Preserve in Krueger National Park.  

We're still hoping Regent will add the tour you referenced. 

Actually Sabi Sands in Krueger is an amazing place.  I have used East Cape Tours in Port Elizabeth for tours.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kane said:

Something you need to be aware of:  The distance from Capetown to Victoria Falls is approximately 1,200 miles.  With that in mind, it would not likely be a simple small private day trip.

Thanks... Yeah we were hoping to find a tour that would include a flight to Victoria Falls but are getting the impression that likely won't happen in our time frame.

12 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Actually Sabi Sands in Krueger is an amazing place.  I have used East Cape Tours in Port Elizabeth for tours.

Thank you.  We are looking at one of the Regent tours that goes to Saba Sands, so thanks for the info.  Also I'll look at East Cape Tours.  I realize we can save quite a bit with a third party tour, but after 88 nights on a ship (we're starting in Papeete), not sure I want to do 9 more days of safari.  Regent's tour is 4 days.  But we're looking at all options. 😎