Was It A Rumor - Sun Princess Dining Changes??

A couple of weeks ago there was a vlog published everywhere by a TA who had recently sailed the Sun Princess.  She shared that there were to be very specific changes shuffling many of the restaurant locations on the Sun Princess. Supposedly to be effective in October when she starts to sail the Caribbean. 

I have not been able to find anything else about it anywhere and the thread that was here has been removed. Was that all a rumor or misinformation??

3 hours ago, happy cruzin said:

A couple of weeks ago there was a vlog published everywhere by a TA who had recently sailed the Sun Princess.  She shared that there were to be very specific changes shuffling many of the restaurant locations on the Sun Princess. Supposedly to be effective in October when she starts to sail the Caribbean. 

I have not been able to find anything else about it anywhere and the thread that was here has been removed. Was that all a rumor or misinformation??

That vlog, around 2 or so weeks ago was it?, with the "information" of Sun dining venue changes and a drydock was literally the only place anywhere that any of that "information" was found. 

It was shared widely - all over Facebook , here, and so forth and touted as Gospel, yet absolutely no other travel agents, cruise vloggers, insiders, Princess, rumors, etc had either confirmation or similar information to back it up.. 

The arguments about a drydock this summer/fall were entertaining, given Sun has zero breaks in schedule, as far out as the schedule is released. And of course, you know, Sun being brand new and all. 

There are changes starting October 14, with the reclassification of cabins to Sanctuary Club, etc.  How that plays out with dining venues, etc, remains to be seen 

It was very much unsubstantiated information aka rumor at this point...  Until Princess releases any info, it's rumor...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacMadame said:

This was reported here on CC previously. Maybe a search to find the existing thread will give you the information you seek.

As I said in my original post - that thread has been removed. 

Just now, FLAlaska said:

448456800_7678304585572666_8905730588260335903_n (1).jpg

Thanks. But I was referring to the reference to some restaurants physically moving to different locations on the Sun Princess. 

Which now seems to have be unsubstantiated. 

1 minute ago, happy cruzin said:

Thanks. But I was referring to the reference to some restaurants physically moving to different locations on the Sun Princess. 

I reckon

• Like 1

Just now, happy cruzin said:

I know , I meant to add comments and hit send. I was trying to say that this was the only confirmed change til now.

• Like 2

We ate in The Catch a few nights ago on the Sun Princess. Currently this restaurant is located on deck 9 at the stern and is basically an extension of The Eatery with a separate open kitchen where you can see dishes being prepared. The headwaiter verified there would be a restaurant shuffle in the September/October time frame. The Catch would be moving to one of the Signature/Reserve restaurants and I think Kai Sushi would be moving somewhere as well. Not sure of the other details but he said no dock (wet or dry) would be required as it was mostly a change of signage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, happy cruzin said:

I was on the Sun in May. We dined in the Signature restaurant, and the M’aitre D assured me that big changes were coming. 

• Thanks 1

I found the following on the very popular and informative Cruisedeckplans website:

image.png.ebd96a86e99756bade9717849c35164d.png

If this is true, then all the Sanctuary Class passengers will now be dining on Deck 8 of the Horizon's dining room.  I was on the Sun's inaugural sailing, and that level is the least luxurious of the three...and wouldn't be my choice for a dining venue for those paying exorbitant suite rates.  The port and starboard side windows look out onto open decks (not a very luxurious view).  And, the small aft section's view, is the back side of the Wake View Bar.image.png.df03a1b8cf77d8d6f110e2f9a4a81067.png

image.png.c1dcf04b81627ca563c8c9c96c7c0f02.png

If they also take over the two small far aft dining areas (adjacent to the two rear elevators), those have a lot of windows, but those overlook passengers lounging on the Wake View Terrace, where those passengers will be gawking inwards at the diners.

image.png.759f5258b37be5e7ae148ff51b2acb8a.png

• Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 2:05 AM, cruisedoctor said:

I found the following on the very popular and informative Cruisedeckplans website:

If this is true, then all the Sanctuary Class passengers will now be dining on Deck 8 of the Horizon's dining room.  I was on the Sun's inaugural sailing, and that level is the least luxurious of the three...and wouldn't be my choice for a dining venue for those paying exorbitant suite rates.  The port and starboard side windows look out onto open decks (not a very luxurious view).  And, the small aft section's view, is the back side of the Wake View Bar.image.png.df03a1b8cf77d8d6f110e2f9a4a81067.png

image.png.c1dcf04b81627ca563c8c9c96c7c0f02.png

If they also take over the two small far aft dining areas (adjacent to the two rear elevators), those have a lot of windows, but those overlook passengers lounging on the Wake View Terrace, where those passengers will be gawking inwards at the diners.

image.png.759f5258b37be5e7ae148ff51b2acb8a.png

Wow.... none of those seem to provide the "signature suite experience" that I was expecting when we booked our Signature Suite over a year ago!  😔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

At first this makes sense, because Princess needs a restaurant big enough for all of these new SANCTUARY Class guests.   Two things come to my mind... Could there still be, somehow, a Signature dining room for Signature Suite guests.  There are many SANCTUARY Class guests who are not Suite guests?

Also, do I not see pictures where the Chef's Table is located back there?  It appears that there are semi-sheer drapes.   Maybe they hope that they can do enough to make this area good enough.

If anything is obvious at all, it is that Princess has really had big issues with rolling out this ship, and then trying to make changes,  major changes, just weeks after that.   There are some real problems going on.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

This would be good news for us if The Catch gets a better venue, and a full menu.  I believe that the menu offers a bit less than on other ships?

In fact, I think there are several 'favorites' that are just not offered on the SUN.

Another question that Princess is still working on...  LOVE by Britto.

What a bad and disorganized concept.

Anyhow, they have cut the upcharge drastically and made it 'Premium' dining.

Tables are still empty.  Reservations available at almost any time.

I think that the set, price-fix menu is one of the big reasons.

While I am sure that the people who put this together were just so excited about their special oyster, and the mushroom cappuccino.   I think there might be many people who just do not prefer, or can not eat, oysters or mushrooms.

I am hoping that they update the menu with a few options.  

We would book it now, and give it a try, if it weren't for the limited menu.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Another thought...  the TA might be a good time for Princess to have workers onboard and start making these changes.   

I don't know if the short VIP and TA cruise that has been scheduled, before Oct 14, is still going to sail?    

They could use this time to work on these changes.

15 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

This would be good news for us if The Catch gets a better venue, and a full menu.

and O'Malley's being open for lunch - even without the music - lunch during the day, then back for the music that night - perfect!

23 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

This would be good news for us if The Catch gets a better venue, and a full menu.  I believe that the menu offers a bit less than on other ships?

In fact, I think there are several 'favorites' that are just not offered on the SUN.

Another question that Princess is still working on...  LOVE by Britto.

What a bad and disorganized concept.

Anyhow, they have cut the upcharge drastically and made it 'Premium' dining.

Tables are still empty.  Reservations available at almost any time.

I think that the set, price-fix menu is one of the big reasons.

While I am sure that the people who put this together were just so excited about their special oyster, and the mushroom cappuccino.   I think there might be many people who just do not prefer, or can not eat, oysters or mushrooms.

I am hoping that they update the menu with a few options.  

We would book it now, and give it a try, if it weren't for the limited menu.

We don't sail un November - so I'm hoping things are all settled by then!

3 hours ago, happy cruzin said:

If this is true, then all the Sanctuary Class passengers will now be dining on Deck 8 of the Horizon's dining room.

Not necessarily.  Sanctuary Class guests have the option of dining in the Deck 8 area set aside for them, but they don't have to do so.  Many will probably opt for the "Traditional" experience found on Deck 6.  They are not precluded from making reservations there.  And many will opt for Specialty Dining on any given night.  And some may prefer the Deck 7 experience and will be allowed to make reservations there as well.  There's a part of me that thinks that they moved the Sanctuary Dining area to the least desirable location to discourage people from dining there. I never thought that having two separate dining rooms for Signature and Reserve was a good idea, and obviously Princess agreed and cratered that idea within a matter of months.  Frankly, I don't see the necessary connection between being allowed to visit the Sanctuary and having a separate dining area.  But then again, I don't love the "ship within a ship" concept to begin with.  With the implementation of the three tiered system of the MDR (Deck 6 TD; Deck 7 Anytime Reservations and Deck 8 Anytime walk-in) coupled with the fact that they more than doubled the number of Specialty Dining options, there are more than enough choices for people without having to have a separate dining room for people who have Sanctuary privileges.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2024 at 7:05 AM, cruisedoctor said:

The current Signature Dining Room doesn't appear to have luxurious views either so not sure this will be a big factor:

image.thumb.png.3b988f10f9bc9e22377ae9a181ddbf72.png

And I'm sure they will come up with a way to make the awkward Deck 8 aft facing views more presentable e.g. The Reserve Collection Dining room has some fancy screens on it's windows.

image.thumb.png.6dc5c2625638a813570fed24e9ef92e3.png

Edited by dides

11 hours ago, happy cruzin said:

Wow.... none of those seem to provide the "signature suite experience" that I was expecting when we booked our Signature Suite over a year ago!  😔

LOL.  Signature went from ship within ship to general population.

Princess seems to have thrown in the towel and decided they can’t compete with the Retreat/Haven/Yacht Club

7 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

LOL.  Signature went from ship within ship to general population.

Princess seems to have thrown in the towel and decided they can’t compete with the Retreat/Haven/Yacht Club

And they raised their Signature suite fares in March to Retreat/Haven prices!

We reserved an S9 on the Sun for next January a year in advance and paid the same as we did for our last YC cabin in December 2023.  Princess raised that fare for new bookings by around 50%.