FLL Hotel Conundrum

I'm cruising in 2 weeks. I already have a reservation at the Residence Inn in Dania Beach. I'm starting to rethink this location. Assuming we arrive on time (which has yet to happen to us on this flight from our local small airport), we land just before 8:00pm. I figured we'd just take the provided airport shuttle and perhaps DoorDash some food since it appears the options around that hotel are few and far between (I didn't realize how bad it was when I booked it). To complicate matters, I've been invited to the Princess Go lounge on SE 17th street for pre-embarkation and a direct shuttle to the port. Due to the time we get in, I'm looking mainly for a place to rest our heads for the night, and hopefully get some dinner. I would prefer somewhere with a shuttle as I don't want to deal with Uber (my last trip I got cancelled on for refusing to move from the pickup area to Departures, as I was already in the pickup area), though I suppose a taxi isn't out of the question.

Anyone got any thoughts? I know the Embassy Suites is just up the street from the Go Lounge. There's also a Holiday Inn Express right next door. I've stayed at the Embassy Suites and know they have a restaurant. But I also remember it being mobbed. 

20 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Anyone got any thoughts? I know the Embassy Suites is just up the street from the Go Lounge. There's also a Holiday Inn Express right next door. I've stayed at the Embassy Suites and know they have a restaurant. But I also remember it being mobbed. 

IIRC, the ES restaurant is mobbed at breakfast but I've not seen much activity for dinner.

BTW, there are multiple restaurants near  the ES.  Use google maps to search.

There is a publix within walking (800 feet) distance where you can get dinner.

43 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I'm cruising in 2 weeks. I already have a reservation at the Residence Inn in Dania Beach. I'm starting to rethink this location. Assuming we arrive on time (which has yet to happen to us on this flight from our local small airport), we land just before 8:00pm. I figured we'd just take the provided airport shuttle and perhaps DoorDash some food since it appears the options around that hotel are few and far between (I didn't realize how bad it was when I booked it). To complicate matters, I've been invited to the Princess Go lounge on SE 17th street for pre-embarkation and a direct shuttle to the port. Due to the time we get in, I'm looking mainly for a place to rest our heads for the night, and hopefully get some dinner. I would prefer somewhere with a shuttle as I don't want to deal with Uber (my last trip I got cancelled on for refusing to move from the pickup area to Departures, as I was already in the pickup area), though I suppose a taxi isn't out of the question.

Your best bets on 17th St are the Hyatt Place, the Renaissance and the Hilton Marina. If the Lounge is where I think it is, then the Renaissance is literally across the street, and is also physically the closest hotel to the PE entrance on Eisenhower.

24 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Your best bets on 17th St are the Hyatt Place, the Renaissance and the Hilton Marina. If the Lounge is where I think it is, then the Renaissance is literally across the street, and is also physically the closest hotel to the PE entrance on Eisenhower.

Yes, it is across from the Renaissance. 

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Not sure of your dates but look at booking Hyatt Place with ValueTrips ...https://www.valuetrips.com/ great rates. We just stayed there again last month love the location.

While I understand people use these sites, I will only book direct with a vendor such as a hotel or car rental.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

While I understand people use these sites, I will only book direct with a vendor such as a hotel or car rental.

Sorry...That's too bad because they are "legit" and have great rates for the Hyatt Place.

Just offering a choice but obviously one you won't even consider.

Best of luck how/with whatever you decide.

• Like 2

Another vote for Hyatt Place. We've stayed there many times. It is convenient and will serve a limited dinner until late; pizza, sandwiches and salad. I think there's fries as well. There is a breakfast and free coffee in the mornings. Not a great breakfast, but, hey, you are going to be eating on the ship in a few hours!

1 hour ago, 39august said:

Another vote for Hyatt Place. We've stayed there many times. It is convenient and will serve a limited dinner until late; pizza, sandwiches and salad. I think there's fries as well. There is a breakfast and free coffee in the mornings. Not a great breakfast, but, hey, you are going to be eating on the ship in a few hours!

Hmmm...I've never noticed them serving anything but breakfast and we were just there again May 25th. We'll be there again next March for a few days and will check it out.

I had friends attempt to stay at Embassy suites 2 weekends ago, and ended up moving to a different hotel because of dirty rooms, unlockable balcony doors (wouldn’t close tight) bugs, and the overwhelming smell of cigars. They’ve stayed there before, and said it has gone downhill terribly 

29 minutes ago, NanciRDH said:

I had friends attempt to stay at Embassy suites 2 weekends ago, and ended up moving to a different hotel because of dirty rooms, unlockable balcony doors (wouldn’t close tight) bugs, and the overwhelming smell of cigars. They’ve stayed there before, and said it has gone downhill terribly 

Sorry they even attempted it. They must have stayed there many years ago. This property has been going down hill for a long time.

I've stayed at the ES before, though it's been a few years. I hated the line for breakfast (wrapped around the hallway), the hardly any seating, and the people pushing the timeshare division of Hilton going table to table. 

I'll probably end up with the Holiday Inn Express. By the time we land (assuming on time) I just want a place to sleep and it's next door to a couple of restaurants. It's also next door to where we need to go for the Go lounge the next day. 

Hyatt Place hands down,( the 1 on SE 10th. behind E.S. ) been there over 10 times in the past 13 years. Was just there pre and post cruise in May. E.S. is a dump, and 1 moth ago Holiday Inn had no hot water, sever people complaining about it. Too bad you will not use valutrips for this hotel. We have every time and save $80- 100 off daily rate. You book though VT and pay at the hotel. You can cancel just about up to your date. VT takes no $$$ with the booking. Once confirmed you check with the hotel for your reservation. Easy Peasy.

• Like 1

we just stayed at the Hyatt Place (through Valuetrips*) 2 weeks ago and at ES in April. Both are literally next door to Outback which we used both times for dinner.

ES wasn't as awful as I feared. Maybe, our room wasn't as bad as others. Definitely not worth more than $160 per night... If I paid more than that, I'd be very upset.  Breakfast was great. Didn't see anyone pushing timeshares. The line was only to the made to order eggs station, and it was not long.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3002524-a-great-first-cruise-on-celebrity-reflection-review-dailies-menus-food-and-cabin-pics-march-2024/#comment-67222827

Hyatt was definitely newer and cleaner (and cheaper through Valuetrips), with small issues: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3013301-enchanted-princess-review-june-1-2024-western-caribbean-with-food-pics-dailies-and-more/#comment-67507044

*we saved a lot of money, especially since we needed 2 rooms.

On 6/21/2024 at 3:58 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we just stayed at the Hyatt Place (through Valuetrips*) 2 weeks ago and at ES in April. Both are literally next door to Outback which we used both times for dinner.

ES wasn't as awful as I feared. Maybe, our room wasn't as bad as others. Definitely not worth more than $160 per night... If I paid more than that, I'd be very upset.  Breakfast was great. Didn't see anyone pushing timeshares. The line was only to the made to order eggs station, and it was not long.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3002524-a-great-first-cruise-on-celebrity-reflection-review-dailies-menus-food-and-cabin-pics-march-2024/#comment-67222827

Hyatt was definitely newer and cleaner (and cheaper through Valuetrips), with small issues: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3013301-enchanted-princess-review-june-1-2024-western-caribbean-with-food-pics-dailies-and-more/#comment-67507044

*we saved a lot of money, especially since we needed 2 rooms.

$ 160 a night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hyatt Place was $ 109 a night.

On 6/19/2024 at 9:34 PM, tonit964 said:

Any thoughts on Hilton Garden Inn on 18th Ave? 

Stayed there in Feb.  Great location.  Friendly staff.  Clean rooms, a little worn but clean.  No free breakfast but a ton of places with walking distance for food/drinks and a Fresh Market.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Stayed there in Feb.  Great location.  Friendly staff.  Clean rooms, a little worn but clean.  No free breakfast but a ton of places with walking distance for food/drinks and a Fresh Market.

Thank you for that info. Hyatt Place prices for next February are really high, this one was about $100 less. 

Edited by tonit964

19 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Thank you for that info. Hyatt Place prices for next February are really high, this one was about $100 less. 

That was my reason for selecting it. I was there for 5 days and would stay there again.  

20240301_223617.jp Fort Lauderdale and Celebration cruiseg (4).jpg

20240301_223617.jp Fort Lauderdale and Celebration cruiseg (5).jpg

20240301_223617.jp Fort Lauderdale and Celebration cruiseg (6).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@Elaine5715 Thank you so much! I’m only there for one night pre-cruise so it should be perfect. I’m sailing solo so would you say walking around the area to grab a bite to eat is fine? 

Edited by tonit964

2 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

@Elaine5715 Thank you so much! I’m only there for one night pre-cruise so it should be perfect. I’m sailing solo so would you say walking around the area to grab a bite to eat is fine? 

I was also solo and it was fine.  Plenty of people walking around and distances very short.  

• Thanks 1