Silver RAY, initial thoughts

stan1980

Great pictures!  Brought back fond memories of out TA on the Nova last year. The 

“ orange trees “ outside the SALT bar fooled me for a couple of days. I thought they were real. And that was BEFORE I went into the bar.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We are new to cruising and seriously looking at the Silver Ray for the Med.  My husband is an avid user and lover of a sauna and steamroom but wants a co-ed one so we can enjoy them together, which I would love.  Can anyone tell me if these are co-ed or not on the Ray?  I think from my research they are separated by ladies and gents except for the thalassotherapy pool.  Thanks!

13 hours ago, Hopeforclearskies said:

We are new to cruising and seriously looking at the Silver Ray for the Med.  My husband is an avid user and lover of a sauna and steamroom but wants a co-ed one so we can enjoy them together, which I would love.  Can anyone tell me if these are co-ed or not on the Ray?  I think from my research they are separated by ladies and gents except for the thalassotherapy pool.  Thanks!

Assuming that they are the same as on the Nova, yes they are separated.

On 6/17/2024 at 5:33 AM, stan1980 said:

Are there any CC board members currently on board Silver Ray who want to share their initial thoughts about the new ship?

Curious how much of a copy it is from the Nova, or if for example improvements from Nove have been implemented? 

The Points Guy recently did a very thorough review: https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/silver-ray-cruise-ship/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We are doing our first Silversea on the Silver Ray in December. It is a TA Crossing. We are able to book reservations now and wondering what 'time' is best so that we can also attend the show? The slots seem to be 7, 8 or 9pm for the dining. Do we need to book 7pm in order to make the show? Thank you for your advice.

Shows are usually at 10 pm, so 7 or 8 would be ok.  If you are concerned about 8, just make sure your server knows that you want to leave at a certain time.  That said, we can all point to a time when the meal went on and on and we missed our desired window, but in my case it's been rare.

• Like 1

We will be on a TA crossing on the Silver Ray. Most cruiselines (like Crystal or Regent) have bridge instructors that teach in the morning and then have organized duplicate bridge play in the afternoon. We are not talking about 'bridge cruises' where it is bridge all day every day. Do you know if Silver Ray might offer this for the TA crossing? Thank you!

The Silver Ray transatlantic leaving December 4, 2024 from Lisbon is listed as a "bridge sailing", so they will have an instructor aboard.  Last year, I did the transatlantic on the Silver Nova (also a "bridge sailing"), and the instructor gave group lessons/lectures in the morning at least.  As I'm not a bridge player, so I didn't personally see organized play in the afternoon, but I believe it happened just as you describe. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much, Dawn! Where do you find information such as the 'bridge sailing'? I would love to know more about any lecturers or entertainers, etc. Thank you!

One more question if you don't mind...do you think it is cold when eating at The Grill in the evening - especially in the beginning of the cruise? I had thought it could be enclosed there, but some things I read seem to indicate it is open to the wind.

You are a great resource!! Appreciate it!

I am happy to help! The "bridge sailing" label appears at the bottom of the map on the first screen or "page" of the voyage description on the Silversea website:

The Marquis, where the Grille is located, has a covered part, a partially covered part and a open side.  The Grille patrons are usually seated on the covered part.  There are glass walls on the ocean side which cuts the wind a lot, and there are super overhead heaters.  You will probably get the same Temps as Lisbon for the first week, so 50's F.  I wouldn't dine if it were raining,  but otherwise it's fine if you take a jacket (and they will give you a blanket too if you like).

SmartSelect_20240812_215354_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, howlpat said:

Does anyone know if they have a "White Nights" party onboard? Some cruiselines do this and sometimes I have not been prepared! Thanks!

No, never seen or heard of one on SS. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sea bright said:

I've seen them on Crystal but never Silversea.

Yes, think White Night started on Azamara and when a cruise director was hired by Crystal from Azamara, it started there. Not everyone on Crystal participates.

On 8/13/2024 at 11:49 PM, jollyjones said:

No, never seen or heard of one on SS. 

Sorry to say it has arrived at SS ….we had one on the Whisper less than a week ago …. It was called it a Greek night, around the pool, with the nightly show and a Chocaholic desert table …. 

6 hours ago, Downunder55 said:

Sorry to say it has arrived at SS ….we had one on the Whisper less than a week ago …. It was called it a Greek night, around the pool, with the nightly show and a Chocaholic desert table …. 

And people are concerned that SS is going downmarket? Whyever would they think that? 

We had a white night on Ponant earlier this year - they usually do one if the cruise is more than a week in duration. It was actually quite nice and for TTS, very civilised!

We all gathered at the stern, where we were close to the water, and it was very pleasant there with the quiet electric drive and no exhaust smell (or particles to dirty your clean white clothes). And we sipped Champagne and wine with our pinky fingers extended!

They even took a picture for their website...

image.thumb.png.8feb8717f24848721f8dbb8a9d6d1051.png

Just kidding. That's not us. Here is Chris on our white night. It was a pleasant evening!

20230312_184338(0).thumb.jpg.6d7311376e72db9bfc9cb7a5d69959dd.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

And people are concerned that SS is going downmarket? Whyever would they think that? 

Azamara is hardly down market nor mass market.  Their “white night” is a hallmark.  It is great fun, held on the pool deck, and officers man the food tables.  Silversea also holds a deck party where officers man the food tables: it’s just called something else.