Interview with new Silversea President

Host Jazzbeau

30 minutes ago, markham said:

Not sure I see much in the way of parallels.

The Parallel is a line that had a loyal following quickly expanded way beyond a capacity that they could fill either with their existing clientele or organic expansion of their client base and had to dumb down, reduce standards and attract a new type of client to fill the ships. I Wasn't comparing the lines, just their business decisions. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

Also,  does anyone feel vaguely disturbed about Hernandez' comments about staff nationality?  ["Having a few countries dominate in certain areas onboard creates real problems," he continued. "It's not healthy for the brand, it's not healthy for the crew."]  I am happy that SS is making an effort to provide good jobs to people from more nationalities, but I certainly wasn't aware of "real problems" in the current cohort, at least not for the customer experience.

I Found that bit quite jarring and frankly a little bizarre too. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

Nothing is forever and I'll fondly remember my Silversea experiences and the many nice people I met along the way. We have one more cruise booked and then that will be all from us. 

The comments from Silversea's new president just confirm that our disappointing Nova cruise and Muse Alaska segments this year were not ship specific problems, but a change in direction for the cruise line.

We had multiple cruises booked with Silversea for this year and next, including one using our 350 day "free" cruise benefit.  Of course we'll keep that one, but have replaced another with an Explora TA and are looking at Regent or Crystal to replace others. It's the first time in more than a decade that I've researched other luxury cruise lines!! Sad to be looking elsewhere than Silversea, but it seems to me that there are more options now in the luxury segment and even more to come (e.g. Four Seasons).

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

Also,  does anyone feel vaguely disturbed about Hernandez' comments about staff nationality?  ["Having a few countries dominate in certain areas onboard creates real problems," he continued. "It's not healthy for the brand, it's not healthy for the crew."]  I am happy that SS is making an effort to provide good jobs to people from more nationalities, but I certainly wasn't aware of "real problems" in the current cohort, at least not for the customer experience.

To me this quote shows that this fellow has no idea what happens on Silversea.

Since Covid plus the rapid expansion Silversea has had to find many more crew members. Some didn't survive the pandemic, others realised being at home with their family for a prolonged period was better than spending months t sea away from family and some others we knew have been poached by other lines.

Back in August 2022 we had our first cruise post covid on the Dawn. It was obvious that there was a greater mix of nationalities in the crew. We actually enjoyed the change and thought most of the new staff were pretty good.

What is really abhorrent to me was his take on past crew. As we know the majority were from the Phillipines. They were the people we still think about who gave us great service with a smile. His comments on the past crew are racist and really he needs to apologise. Maybe we won't take all 4 booked cruises in the future.

• Like 8

I spoke to the future cruise manager today, who has been eight years in the job.  He has not read this interview or heard the comments that were expressed.  He is still very loyal to the Silversea brand and said the future program is well into 2026 and going strong.  I hope he looks up the interview.

There is plenty of money around at different generational points. Whether you are 40-70 plus makes no difference if the value and marketing are appealing. Think of Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons where the clientele seem happy enough irrespective of age, taking advantage of what the properties offer so well.

Apparently large corporate operators like RCI don’t get is what Carnival doesn’t get: how to manage a small luxury brand well. That is apparent here with Silversea’s bean counter dining room flower elimination and pretense about further “internationalizing” the crew. We get it.

OTOH, in the hotel industry, we can all see who is doing what. Each brand within its parent brand somehow seems to do well without the palaver. I don’t imagine you will hear of Marriott offering Ritz Carlton amenities to their Courtyard, Sheraton or Westin loyalists. Nor would Ritz Carlton guests be impressed with any consequential demographic changes in programs or even in age segmentation (eg lots of kids). I am thinking about these one weeker all-season-long MSC-style return Barcelona cruises in lieu of what is to many more gracious and familiar- those 10 day to 2 week differing itineraries that are conducive to back to back add-ons for those that have the inclination. And it is not as if Silversea has reduced pricing given that in fact they recently raised pricing but without articulating what the added-value proposition might be.

More to the point about how clever the leading hotel brand managers are… Marriott has its Bonvoy loyalty program for all its brands. You earn points and spend them at the price point that each brand offers and you redeem them the same way. Were RCI to do this for its sub-brands maybe the weirdness of this “bump up” to its mass market brand would not be perceived as so dismissive of Silversea customers’ earned status. But that did not happen, and the emphasis has been one way only- away from the Silversea luxury brand.

Anyway, no one at Marriott is talking about the survivability of Ritz Carlton. They are probably doing very well, and Marriott is well served by that brand. So are its customers, no matter what their age group, the objective being to keep them as Marriott customers. Plenty of other examples of sharp brand management are out there, and maybe that is where the established cruise lines can get the expertise. Or maybe they can divest and just be done with it. That would be a sorry day!

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1

These changes aren't about to happen, they are already happening.  As noted by most, Muckerman has left, but let's not forget long time Cruise Director Vikki Van Tassel who also left unexpectedly to go to Crystal.  

We had the pleasure of having her as our cruise director for 15 days on the Crystal Symphony in late April and early May, before boarding Silversea right after.  When we asked why she left Crystal, her answers were vague.  But when we asked her to compare Crystal to Silversea, all she would say about Silversea were comments such as "good luck with your Silversea cruise". 

While she may not have supplied anything in the way of examples over the 15 days we spoke with her on Crystal - from her tone and expressions, it was apparent that she had left Crystal because she didn't like the changes that were either happening, or were about to happen.

• Like 1

I can see why Muckerman is no longer there

SSea is looking to overlay their ports to match the logistics of X and RC no matter where they are in the world. The funky itins with different starting points that change yearly will be gone especially in Asia and the Pacific. The Middle East conflict isnt helping since that effectively forces to go around Africa or back over the Pacific. 

They will be looking at shorter 7 day cruises like Explora and Ritz Carlton (mirroring X now ex Miami) since 45 year olds generally dont have work schedule for Tuesday start 9 day cruises 

Everyone wants customers that are longer term and attracting them (the 45-50 crowd) isn't a bad wish but it depends on what gets moved around on board to get them to stay   Nothing inherently wrong with attracting X suite pax but SSea should retain its own personality. That also doesnt mean that it automatically discards long term customers 

The staffing remark is very weird.  I have never seen anything like that in any industry  It almost sounds like "service went down because there were too many people from a particular country" in one department. 

• Like 3

Tis so very sad.

I have no desire to bob around or circle in my bathtub( the Caribbean) in furtherance of “regionalizing”. 

We experienced many of the “changes” during our last three Silversea cruises. They were more like cutbacks.

We were smitten by our first Silversea voyage in 2012. We took lots more Silversea cruises afterwards, we are approaching 500 days.

The vision as espoused and articulated by the new guy is not for us. Now that we know what we were experiencing in most recent times is the future of Silversea, we will look elsewhere. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Redking said:

So .... shorter cruises in the lucrative Caribbean, Mediterranean and Expedition markets. Same as everyone else? Could get very competitive? Where's the point of difference?

Shorter cruises?  Three of our best of the best, most memorable cruises with Silversea were 15 days or more.  This includes for up and down the Norway Coast to the top Europe, the Amazon River, Mumbai to Singapore.  Longer sailings allow getting to know the staff, connecting with other passengers, etc.  

Doing the "same old typical ports" is also a non-starter for us.  I can fully understand seeking a younger audience that is more limited with their work/family schedules and timings.  But, how does Silversea balance that with and for their current "customer base".  Lots of challenges!   Different audience have varied "needs" and desires.  Trying to be "all things" for a much wider audience is difficult.  MISSION IMPOSSIBLE???

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio   

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 252,721 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

• Like 4

Well, I have 2 booked. The first one is in  Nov, 14 nights TA crossing on the Moon. I am going......and will hopefully have a good time and will look for any changes.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Port Power said:

I spoke to the future cruise manager today, who has been eight years in the job.  He has not read this interview or heard the comments that were expressed.  He is still very loyal to the Silversea brand and said the future program is well into 2026 and going strong.  I hope he looks up the interview.

I would have thought the president’s office would have sent a link to all shipboard Sales Managers. That way they could have learned what he said, maybe asked the office what he meant, and would thereby be prepared for the inevitable questions. At least he/she would have felt looked after! No one likes to be put on the spot, after all.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham
Bad edit

1 hour ago, RLK33853 said:

These changes aren't about to happen, they are already happening.  As noted by most, Muckerman has left, but let's not forget long time Cruise Director Vikki Van Tassel who also left unexpectedly to go to Crystal.  

We had the pleasure of having her as our cruise director for 15 days on the Crystal Symphony in late April and early May, before boarding Silversea right after.  When we asked why she left Crystal, her answers were vague.  But when we asked her to compare Crystal to Silversea, all she would say about Silversea were comments such as "good luck with your Silversea cruise". 

While she may not have supplied anything in the way of examples over the 15 days we spoke with her on Crystal - from her tone and expressions, it was apparent that she had left Crystal because she didn't like the changes that were either happening, or were about to happen.

Hello, you meant ‘when she had left SS’. 

1 hour ago, markham said:

Apparently large corporate operators like RCI don’t get is what Carnival doesn’t get: how to manage a small luxury brand well. That is apparent here with Silversea’s bean counter dining room flower elimination and pretense about further “internationalizing” the crew. We get it.

I can put one item to rest.  Flowers are plentiful on Silver Wind in the suites, bars and dining rooms.

IMG_5062.thumb.jpeg.b9fb47b667d5286ba65c652b770b73fa.jpeg

IMG_5064.thumb.jpeg.a5f337bb775dfe6bdb33d70768a7f680.jpeg

The remarks on crew nationalities I cannot condone!

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, Cruiselover51 said:

Hello, you meant ‘when she had left SS’. 

My bad - yes I meant when she left Silversea.

thanks

I can put one item to rest.  Flowers are plentiful on Silver Wind in the suites, bars and dining rooms.

Yes, and on the Muse last week, it was absolutely verdant!  I never saw so many orchids everywhere!

• Like 4

Am on a short trip now..looking at my Silversea luggage tag with my name printed on it ...was a  precursor of something special to come ...it's gone now ....😢...sad indeed ! Will see what happens next spring on my 19 day Moon voyage .

I have a SS cruise booked for August 2025, which I don't plan on cancelling.  However, I won't book another SS cruise until I hear how all of this shakes out.  I understand profit is the bottom line concern, and I am one who is willing to pay a little more in order to keep a luxury experience.

5 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

This is exactly what has gone wrong with P&O. They’ve added new “huge” ships that their loyal client base do not want to sail on resulting in them advertising heavily “All inclusive holidays for £599” etc. Needless to say their new clientele are new to cruising to say the least, it’s evident in the number of brawls taking place onboard since the changes. One pool attendant even got glassed by one of their new guests. I’m sure their shareholders are happy for now though.

I was a P and O girl from the 1990s when it was a decent line. Before 2020 I took the step up to Silversea to avoid the behemoth ships and loved it. The 2 cruises I've  done since the pandemic slightly disappointed me and made me wonder if the price tag was worth it. I still do some cruises on P and O adult only ships Aurora and Arcadia but am looking at Regent and Seabourne for the future. 

Some really great commentary on here, thank you.

We're at the start of our  journey of trying out luxury lines after sailing exclusively with Celebrity for over ten years. There have been similar themes discussed over on the Celebrity forum regarding a push for younger guests. It leaves you wondering whether RCL have ditched the strategy of segmenting the cruise market. From memory we were a fit for Celebrity’s so called modern luxury demographic on our first cruise. In our fifties travelling with our young adult sons. We didn't want to travel on a floating theme park and hence Celebrity.

Fast forward and we now need a change/too old for Celebrity 😱🤔. Silversea was on our list. Not sure if RCL consider us too old for that too🤣. Maybe we'll be greeted with a wee cuddle being, as @drron29 pointed out, the last of the babyboomers.  @drron29

• Like 2

We first came to SS in 2013. We were attracted by the longer cruise to exotic destinations. As noted by someone else, we’re not flying half way around the world or a week or 2 week cruise. We’ve got a 32 day cruise on the Dawn in March, but won’t book another until we see where this new direction leads.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

as we either fall off the perch or find something more to our liking.

Fall off the perch!  I find that expression hilarious, as I hope you meant it to be, and thank you for it.  

Our Silversea experiences have been consistently very good to great, and we've no intention to change, but will keep our eyes and ears open.  I've seen what accountants can do to a good brand....

7 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Fall off the perch!  I find that expression hilarious, as I hope you meant it to be, and thank you for it.  

It's dated, a little irreverent but not uncommon in the UK or Australia/New Zealand. I'm at an age where it is becoming increasingly relevant!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

What an interesting thread with great comments by all.  I just want to add my two cents for what it's worth. I can't say I am jumping up and down with joy at the prospect of short cruises, regionally positioned ships, rotating itineraries, no transoceanic voyages, inevitable cut backs on food quality etc.   It does not bode well for Silversea loyalists.  I think we all knew this could potentially happen but hearing it from the mouth of the new president just makes it all rather 'real'.  I agree with some of the comments others have posted above and see this as a money making exercise for RCG and his president's personal bonus structure.  It's clearly all about the money, which I get to a certain extent, but at the risk of dismantling a wonderful product and ethos I am not sure it's the right approach at this stage. "Ethos - a characteristic spirit of a culture, era, or community as manifested in its beliefs and aspirations".  All I hear are bogus excuses and justifications, trying to divert attention from the true purpose of these changes that are obviously meant to pad the bottom line.  But what do I know, I am not a cruise line executive commanding millions of dollars annually for my salary and strategic expertise. As for us, we have 50 days of Silvesea cruising remaining for 2024 and will enjoy each and every one of them with a 'glass half full' attitude.  However, we have no future Silversea bookings for 2025 and would rather wait to see how this plays out before investing in further itineraries.  Thankfully, we are tried and true Crystal Cruises fans and strongly believe Manfredi and team will continue their success and introduce new vessels to solidify Crystal's return to luxury cruising.  Choice is good!

Ashley

• Like 7