Report from the muse.

milepig

Boarding in Vancouver was easy maybe 20 minutes, but we were the only ship that day. Silversea has boarding times stated but we arrived about 12:30 and were processed right through. At boarding, La Terrazza was a disaster. Full of people who clearly had never cruised before, mass confusion, and staff starting something and not finishing. Laughably tiny desserts and a deplenished buffet at 2:00 which was when boarding officially commenced. Horrible first impression . Now Altantude is our go to and it’s like oasis. Our butler was horrible, and offered essentially no service. We now have a new one after complaining and so far good, he’s on the spot and very helpful. Indochine is great, as is Atlantis. Kaiser was worth the supplement, the grill is so so.  Apparently they no longer call it Hot Rocks. It would be nice to know they are twinned with spacconapoli and bring stuff back and worth. We had a very troubled dinner at La Terra’s and dont plan on going back. We’ve already booked our next cruise. 

any typos are due to my fat fingers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’m sorry to hear of your experience so far. Could you maybe offer a little more detail on why your Butler was horrible, the troubled dinner in la Terraza etc? I Hope things improve from here on in. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I Hope things improve from here on in. 

Considering that Silver Muse boarded at Seward today and is heading south, I assume this isn't the current cruise. Interesting variety of restaurant names though! 

4 hours ago, milepig said:

Boarding in Vancouver was easy maybe 20 minutes, but we were the only ship that day.  Indochine is great, as is Atlantis. Kaiser was worth the supplement, the grill is so so.  Apparently they no longer call it Hot Rocks.

any typos are due to my fat fingers

Atlantis  -  I pressume you mean   Atlantide   and  Kaiser  for Kaiseki.  We also  like Indochine.

The review does read a lot like others which are never followed up by their  OP.  There can be various reasons for this, but it  leaves everyone wanting more information, so hope it will be forthcoming.

• Like 2

We got off the Muse in Seward yesterday.  As I said earlier, staff on the boat were as nice as can be, to a man or woman.  Mostly Philippine, but other countries noted - various African, Indian, Chinese.  Butler was nice as could be, couldn't do enough for us. Lots of flowers, but not on dining tables.  A few cases where if someone had wrong answer, I could go elsewhere and get right answer - it is a human organization, after all.  Had lovely dinner with head of Shore Concierge and his wife, who is head of HR.  Very interesting chat with her about getting all the people needed with technical licenses and training to operate all the many ship functions, and providing ongoing training.  Able bodied seamen are still a thing - handling the lines, painting, doing endless ship board duties.  Food mostly OK, but we're spoiled from home cooking & local Oregon restaurants.  We didn't starve.  Everyone eager to top off your wineglass.  Ship in good shape, suite immaculate.  We tipped the room stewart everyday, and the butler twice a week, as well as anyone handing us lattes or such.  Visited Arts Cafe every morning for latte & snacks for DW.  We'd go back for the right itinerary - but I'd probably top out after 2-3 weeks, needing more variety in dining.  Ironically, rather than "pay extra" options with lots of hype, I'd rather see them up the game on basic free food - more variety, a few options for people that don't require or prefer bland food; unleash the tonic chefs!  But generally, we got our value, and would return.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I’m sorry to hear of your experience so far. Could you maybe offer a little more detail on why your Butler was horrible, the troubled dinner in la Terraza etc? I Hope things improve from here on in. 

Sure. He scribbled lots of notes, left and not much was accomplished. Didn’t lay eyes on him for days. We have a new butler for leg 2 and he has been amazing. Things that were impossible are no longer a problem. This is how it should be. 

Edited by milepig
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

Atlantis  -  I pressume you mean   Atlantide   and  Kaiser  for Kaiseki.  We also  like Indochine.

Indochine, which my phone can’t spell!, is great. Good spice level, and they can make it spicier, one night the short rib was quite fatty, but the pho made up for it. The noodle side as amazing. Kaiseki was also good, but lacked a certain flair that similar concepts have, the staff didn’t seem to be having fun. But great food. Go early if you want to sit at the counter, it fills up fast. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

We got off the Muse in Seward yesterday.  As I said earlier, staff on the boat were as nice as can be, to a man or woman.  Mostly Philippine, but other countries noted - various African, Indian, Chinese.  Butler was nice as could be, couldn't do enough for us. Lots of flowers, but not on dining tables.  A few cases where if someone had wrong answer, I could go elsewhere and get right answer - it is a human organization, after all.  Had lovely dinner with head of Shore Concierge and his wife, who is head of HR.  Very interesting chat with her about getting all the people needed with technical licenses and training to operate all the many ship functions, and providing ongoing training.  Able bodied seamen are still a thing - handling the lines, painting, doing endless ship board duties.  Food mostly OK, but we're spoiled from home cooking & local Oregon restaurants.  We didn't starve.  Everyone eager to top off your wineglass.  Ship in good shape, suite immaculate.  We tipped the room stewart everyday, and the butler twice a week, as well as anyone handing us lattes or such.  Visited Arts Cafe every morning for latte & snacks for DW.  We'd go back for the right itinerary - but I'd probably top out after 2-3 weeks, needing more variety in dining.  Ironically, rather than "pay extra" options with lots of hype, I'd rather see them up the game on basic free food - more variety, a few options for people that don't require or prefer bland food; unleash the tonic chefs!  But generally, we got our value, and would return.

Always wonder if the service is the same for someone who is known to keep passing out tips vs those who take the cruise line at its word that gratuities are included?

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Always wonder if the service is the same for someone who is known to keep passing out tips vs those who take the cruise line at its word that gratuities are included?

I had the same thought. The post made it sound like cash was falling out of his pockets.  Our approach is to something the last day for those were great. 

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, milepig said:

I had the same thought. The post made it sound like cash was falling out of his pockets.  Our approach is to something the last day for those were great. 

WWFT clearly wants us all to know how generous he is. From his report in another thread on the same cruise:

"Of course, I decided to tip from day one this time, thinking better than wait for end, and hand out dollar coins to every barista and wine-refiller and plate clearer, to say nothing of larger denominations to room steward & butler every couple days, also to bartenders and waitstaff.  Much bowing and scraping ensues, and we almost have to beat the butler off with a stick."

Each to their own, I suppose but to me (as a non-U.S.traveller) this seems gross behaviour. Do you get a kick out of "bowing and scraping" and having to "beat the butler off with a stick"? IMHO you seem to treat the staff as if you're feeding ducks in the park.  

Edited by Bullswood
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Bullswood said:

WWFT clearly wants us all to know how generous he is. From his report in another thread on the same cruise:

"Of course, I decided to tip from day one this time, thinking better than wait for end, and hand out dollar coins to every barista and wine-refiller and plate clearer, to say nothing of larger denominations to room steward & butler every couple days, also to bartenders and waitstaff.  Much bowing and scraping ensues, and we almost have to beat the butler off with a stick."

Each to their own, I suppose but to me (as a non-U.S.traveller) this seems gross behaviour. Do you get a kick out of "bowing and scraping" and having to "beat the butler off with a stick"? IMHO you seem to treat the staff as if you're feeding ducks in the park.  

Please don’t disparage WWFT. Some of us have leaky pockets, some of us don’t.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, milepig said:
4 hours ago, MuseCruiser said:

Same here. Gross behavior. I missed the part about dollar COINS.  Make it hard to use!

Went back and checked if they were European where everything that is under 5 Euros, Pounds, etc. is coin and those coins are used commonly there. No, it's an American and those dollar coins are VERY difficult to use. 😮🙄😏

50 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Went back and checked if they were European where everything that is under 5 Euros, Pounds, etc. is coin and those coins are used commonly there. No, it's an American and those dollar coins are VERY difficult to use. 😮🙄😏

The only place I’ve found when I stuck with them are vending machines. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/21/2024 at 8:43 AM, Texas Tillie said:

Last year now I experienced perfectly fine service without tipping. Maybe I'm naive but take the statement that gratuities are included to mean...that gratuities are included. Foolish, I know.

We don't want or need much from our butler. Who did cheerfully provide the small number of things we asked for. I'm happy to let him have time to cater to those who have continual needs. If tipping means that he would be continually bothering us asking for stuff to do I would consider that a negative.

Edited by pavementends

I think people who are not used to having staff tip “ to keep them on their toes”.

The rest of us offer gracious thanks or a small consideration as thanks. 

• Like 3