American Airlines no longer an option to book through Flight Ease

I just learned that as of May 1, you cannot book flights through Flight Ease on American Airlines. HAL says it is because American changed its rules and wouldn't allow miles to be earned on Flight Ease bookings, so HAL made the decision to drop the major airline. Apparently HAL never announced (even to travel agents) this seemingly major change.

My research shows that American Air rescinded this rule change in May due to unfavorable press and confusion. So maybe HAL will catch up some day.

I have never used Flight Ease, preferring to book myself and generally using miles. But for my 2025 World Cruise, I have a $500 flight credit benefit and thought I would give Flight Ease a try. American Airlines is the only airline serving my gateway city, so I would have to pay myself to fly somewhere else first. Not worth it. HAL says if you can't use the benefit, you lose it. Sigh.

Has anyone else had success in booking an American Air flight recently through Flight Ease?

• Thanks 5

I am booked with Flight Ease in November. I booked at least three months ago. I received a email last month saying if I wanted my AA miles I had to let them go ahead and ticket the flights which I did. Guess this was before the rescinded the rule.  I am now ticketed on flights I really don't want and would cost almost $1000 to change.  I have a 30 minute layover at DFW!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I just checked FlightEase; there are no AA flights available for my upcoming cruise even though that would be the most efficient way to get to my destination.  I am hopeful the policy will change in the near future.

@GselGood luck making your connection!

Edited by 0106
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, WriterOnDeck said:

HAL says it is because American changed its rules and wouldn't allow miles to be earned on Flight Ease bookings, so HAL made the decision to drop the major airline.

I suspect there is more to this story as that just doesn't really make much sense.

I do know the airport quite well and have made one like this before!  Not fun, but there are plenty of flights later. Splurged on FC and will be first off the plane.

I won’t be using Flight Ease anymore.  I live near the American hub and that is our go to airline for international as most flights are non stop.  That seems like a ridiculous reason.  I am aware American announced that change but a good price is worth giving up miles earned. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gsel said:

I am booked with Flight Ease in November. I booked at least three months ago. I received a email last month saying if I wanted my AA miles I had to let them go ahead and ticket the flights which I did. Guess this was before the rescinded the rule.  I am now ticketed on flights I really don't want and would cost almost $1000 to change.  I have a 30 minute layover at DFW!

I would call American. They may be able to help you.  30 minutes is not enough

• Like 2

It was about 6 weeks ago that America stated they would no longer grant Miles on third party vendors but I have read from two sources, one was the Points Guy that AA is backpedaling on this and will now allow miles. So HAL will need to update this.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/american-airlines-backtracks-earn-miles-loyalty-points-third-party/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gsel said:

I do know the airport quite well and have made one like this before!  Not fun, but there are plenty of flights later. Splurged on FC and will be first off the plane.

30 min change at DFW is a recipe for disaster.  In reality, that may give you only about 15 minutes to get between gates (not always possible) and if you have checked luggage, that misses the flight, AA usually sends it up to Chicago before they start in on its catch-up journey.    We would be OK if later flights are an option.  But 2 years ago we were stuck at DFW because all the flights to the East Coast were booked for 2 days (it was spring break).  AA did comp us with hotel vouchers (for a crappy motel) and near-useless meal vouchers.  The real bummer was that even though they told us (on Saturday night) they had no available seats until Tuesday morning, their rules required us to present ourselves, every day, just in case...and to give us new vouchers.  Lots of fun 😞  And by the way, all that happened on flights where we had 2 hours for the change,,,but our first flight was late.

Hank

Amazing how Flight Ease was touted as amazing by some on CC who are now saying...not sure.  Anyone booking FE should be aware of the booking details.  Often airlines are comparable in pricing and schedules.  JMO. Cherie   

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

The big savings with Flight Ease is the one way International pricing in BC.

That is a good reason to book FE if they do not change flights.  Often when booking direct with an airline you can book an open jaw or multi destination ticket that also give you flexibility.  I know that you are an experienced traveler but not everyone knows about open jaw/multi-destination tickets.  I prefer booking direct with the airlines but that is just me.  JMO. Cherie

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gsel said:

i wish you luck on that layover....If you and your luggage make it, buy a lottery ticket.

Just booked and flew American for a trip last week, with a return yesterday. No miles on 3rd party sites. We wound up booking through AA.com, which will allow you to book a 40 minute connection in Charlotte. (I would allow an hour for a connection unless you are seated in row 12 or lower.)

All four legs of our flights were oversold.

9 hours ago, cccole said:

Amazing how Flight Ease was touted as amazing by some on CC who are now saying...not sure.  Anyone booking FE should be aware of the booking details.  Often airlines are comparable in pricing and schedules.  JMO. Cherie   

When you can get business class from Europe on a non stop flight for $600 that is amazing and points make no difference.  It is not touting FE, it is taking advantage of all opportunities 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I won’t be using Flight Ease anymore.  I live near the American hub and that is our go to airline for international as most flights are non stop.  That seems like a ridiculous reason.  I am aware American announced that change but a good price is worth giving up miles earned. 

I agree with you ..

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, WriterOnDeck said:

…HAL says if you can't use the benefit, you lose it. Sigh….

You may want to speak with someone else about the “use it or lose it” benefit. One year, we had a sale offer that included a $600 airfare credit. Since I also used miles, I didn’t need the airfare and HAL took $600 off my cruise fare. The travel agent had to check with HAL and get back with me, so it wasn’t a situation where I had a quick or immediate answer, but it didn’t hurt to ask (again😀). ymmv. Good luck!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Gsel said:

I am pretty sure that the minimum connection time at DFW is 40 minutes, or at least it was a couple of years ago. A 30-minute connection should not be allowed, but obviously it was. I would call and ask about changes. With AA in DFW, a half-hour would be a big risk, especially figuring it’ll take several minutes to actually get off the plane on the incoming flight before you can even start toward the connecting gate. 

For the post about CLT connections, the minimum connection time there is 40 minutes. If your flight comes into Councourse A and the departure is from Concourse E, I’d say you will never make it in 40 minutes. 

Edited by ExArkie
Spelling error
  • Like 1

I have called HAL and AA. When I called Flight Ease the person on the other end did not understand enough English and thought I wanted to cancel my cruise. AA said they are unable to help. I plan to standby for a earlier flight. My TA is working on the problem.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Gsel said:

…I am now ticketed on flights I really don't want and would cost almost $1000 to change.  I have a 30 minute layover at DFW!

17 minutes ago, Gsel said:

I have called HAL and AA. When I called Flight Ease the person on the other end did not understand enough English and thought I wanted to cancel my cruise. AA said they are unable to help. I plan to standby for a earlier flight. My TA is working on the problem.

One time I had an AA award flight where my flight times changed, resulting in an illegal connection. Because of this, they were obligated to change my times (to more convenient times for me, thankfully) without me having to pay fees. I know some things have changed since, but if it’s an illegal connection, your TA may be able to get it changed without fees.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

@syesmar yes, she is excellent and I am sure she will be able to do so.  I am still thinking about canceling this cruise due to a back surgery in August or September so we are waiting to see what my doctor has to say. 

The problem as I see it is that AA has become a second tier airline. Even though AA has the most flights from our closest airport, we have been avoiding them unless there are no other good options. FE customers may have experiences numerous problems with missed connections that led them to this decision. The points issue being the straw that broke the camel's back.

• Like 1