On-Board Entertainment And The "Sweet Spot" For Target Demographic

Tom and Ingrid

Over in the Short Cruise thread, @Jeremiah1212 made the comment:

"2/3 of cruisers are <60 years old so I see the need to try to grab new guests. The short Caribbean cruises have been conceptually sold and marketed as an additional cruise, rather than a replacement for someone who typically goes on 6-9 night cruises.  Their "refreshed" audience is experienced cruisers 45+ (that is not an assumption - that's straight from Celebrity) The bulk of the 6-8 day North America market has an average age of 45 so they have taken that data and hit it head on. Today's 45 years olds will be 55-60 nearing retirement soon enough, so get them locked in to the brand. "

This got me thinking about the comment/feedback I ALWAYS put on my X reviews which is, "Choose more recent music and entertainment".  And by recent, I don't mean 2024 hits (although newer 2020+ music in shows is nice), I mean more current as of past 40-50 years, not 70 years.

Assuming 45+ is a target, having some main stage entertainment performing - almost every cruise - "hits" from the 1950s and 60s is becoming more and more of a non-starter for me.  When we started cruising 20 yrs ago, often the same kind of performance was being done - ie throwback to 50s/60s music - but that was a bit more understandable as the 45+ (really the 45-65 folks) would have had that music in their youth or at least be very familiar with it.  Fast forward 20 years, and Elvis and the Rat Pack and even early Beatles are far off the radar of many current cruisers.

I'm a 70s-90s music era cruiser.  I'm very familiar with 60s music, skipped most pre-1960 music, and definitely more entertained by much more current stuff.  

Do you seek out the shows with older themed music, or, are you like me, no longer willing to "gut it out" to get to music at least near your generation?

• Like 1

A mix, I suppose. Much of the DJ driven music onboard is significantly newer, but it seems to be mostly EDM, which isn't me either. The music is old, literally. Something like ABBA has been rescued to some extent by Mamma Mia, but the play is 25 years old and the movie is 16 years old. I do want to believe the Beatles will still be "current" for at least one more generation, but who knows.

Summit had a better than average main theater show called Soundtrack, featuring songs from movies. Most of it way older, although they covered Skyfall by Adele. I know it's a classic, but one of the songs was Over the Rainbow and in 2024 with Wicked coming out on film, why not Defying Gravity? They do seem stuck in another time.

In some fairness, I did find an older thread with setlists from shows I haven't seen with much more current music. 

And yeah, I'm a 70s-90s type as well. When I hear people talking about newer music on Celebrity, there seems to be a decades mismatch on "new". Born to Run turns 50 next year. Nevermind is 33 years old and the Foo Fighters and Rage Against the Machine are both in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Some of my favorites, but hardly current either. And no, I don't seek out the older themed music onboard. We were pretty shocked last fall that the house band on Equinox actually played some (milder) Foo Fighters, for instance!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, markeb said:

And yeah, I'm a 70s-90s type as well. When I hear people talking about newer music on Celebrity, there seems to be a decades mismatch on "new". Born to Run turns 50 next year. Nevermind is 33 years old and the Foo Fighters and Rage Against the Machine are both in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Some of my favorites, but hardly current either. And no, I don't seek out the older themed music onboard. We were pretty shocked last fall that the house band on Equinox actually played some (milder) Foo Fighters, for instance!

We went to a local free show here in my neighborhood with a group call HerrMetal who basically cover the 80s hair metal but include other less "metal" and just rock.

Anyway, if you want to motivate a crowd a of 45-65 yrs olds, simply play the opening lines of Sweet Child Of Mine.  It works every time, and while I wouldn't want just that era of music, it does fit the bill of bridging the 70s to the 90s.

Regarding ABBA, that is still a huge success every cruise.  More of a tradition now, but definitely well attended and fun.  Heck, I now know the words, and I have lost most of that recall for even my favorite music.

• Like 1

I think this tread is interesting. When we started cruising with HAL in 2012 most of the music played on their ships centered around Sinatra and the Big Band sound. And for the next 6 years we kept quietly asking when is it going to be our turn, as we graduated HS in 1970 when Queen and Elton were just coming on the scene and the hippy movement was all the talk. 

Then in 2017 we cruised for the first time on the  Celebrity Solstice and then on the Diamond Princess and found it was definitely our time over on their ships!

Now we’re in our early 70s and even though Princess remains focused on attracting our generation with their longer 3-5 week itineraries, Celebrity’s target audience seems to be those who enjoy brief 4-10 day itineraries for the most part, as they really don’t offer many longer itineraries for us old ones that have plenty of time to cruise. 

My guess is you will probably get your wish for the newer genre of music if you keep cruising with X. HAL did the same thing back in 2019 when they switched to their Music Walk strategy to entice the younger crowd while also eliminating production shows. 

For us old retired folks, we’re having a blast on the longer 3-5 week cruises Princess and even NCL have to offer and are even starting to book cruises with HAL again as they continue to offer some pretty cool 3-5 week itineraries, especially now that they are bringing the production shows back. Who knew! 😂

In any event when we do cruise with X, we always have a great time regardless of what type of music they’re playing, and I’m sure you will too! 😁

• Like 1

we enjoy a variety of music other than music with hate based or sexist lyrics.. Wish they had more jazz,  classical groups and a harpist for formal night... Def not ABBA fans but  seems still popular 

on ASCENT the offerings were perfect..appealed to all tastes..Loved the acoustic groups..  Very high level of talent on board

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hcat said:

Wish they had more jazz,  classical groups and a harpist for formal nigh

We definitely enjoy the non-main stage entertainment that we encounter in various bars or sometimes the main lobby or Bacio area.  And usually, there is a main stage violinist or similar that can put on a good show.  

I'm of the era of "modern" Broadway, too, so thinking back to musicals of the Les Mis, Miss Saigon, Rent, through Wicked, Lion King, etc. eras, as good starting points for the cast revue shows.  

I always compliment the live musicians in surveys as I feel like that's a huge PLUS for X when we are cruising. It is lovely to grab a drink and a comfy seat in one of the smaller bar areas and relax for a spell to live music.  

We like the DJ at the pool or up in the Observation or down in the lobby, but LIVE music is a great bonus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

"2/3 of cruisers are <60 years old so I see the need to try to grab new guests. The short Caribbean cruises have been conceptually sold and marketed as an additional cruise, rather than a replacement for someone who typically goes on 6-9 night cruises.  Their "refreshed" audience is experienced cruisers 45+ (that is not an assumption - that's straight from Celebrity) The bulk of the 6-8 day North America market has an average age of 45 so they have taken that data and hit it head on. Today's 45 years olds will be 55-60 nearing retirement soon enough, so get them locked in to the brand. "

This got me thinking about the comment/feedback I ALWAYS put on my X reviews which is, "Choose more recent music and entertainment".  And by recent, I don't mean 2024 hits (although newer 2020+ music in shows is nice), I mean more current as of past 40-50 years, not 70 years.

Assuming 45+ is a target, having some main stage entertainment performing - almost every cruise - "hits" from the 1950s and 60s is becoming more and more of a non-starter for me.  When we started cruising 20 yrs ago, often the same kind of performance was being done - ie throwback to 50s/60s music - but that was a bit more understandable as the 45+ (really the 45-65 folks) would have had that music in their youth or at least be very familiar with it.  Fast forward 20 years, and Elvis and the Rat Pack and even early Beatles are far off the radar of many current cruisers.

I'm a 70s-90s music era cruiser.  I'm very familiar with 60s music, skipped most pre-1960 music, and definitely more entertained by much more current stuff.  

Do you seek out the shows with older themed music, or, are you like me, no longer willing to "gut it out" to get to music at least near your generation?

Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald et al, never age.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

For me, yes and no.  In Ensemble Lounge? Bring it. 😄

If I am looking over the night's main show, and it is the best of the 50s or a "Dave Miller sings Sinatra" night?  It's a hard pass. 😞

And here I thought Sinatra and the Big Band Sound was in the rearview mirror. I guess he’s coming back on Celebrity cruises. 😂

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Fascinating.  Thanks for re-sharing. 

I was told by a cruise director that there are no plans that they were aware of to update music once shows are installed on ships.  The only thing that changes are the performers.  So, all the Edge class ships  have what they have.  A decade from now even the newest song on Beyond will seem dated.  The shows could easily be updated considering visuals are computer driven and fairly generic.

A turnoff for us was Sweet Caroline at the Martini Bar, and overuse of Abba and Elton.  The dated soundtracks are most noticeable when it's a preset setlist being played over the speakers and not a DJ.  Even in the 90s at the mall we'd get new tapes every few weeks and specific instructions of what tapes could be kept and the rotation to a create the atmosphere.  Celebrity could update the canned music for different venues and spaces with little effort.  But, again, I think we're destined to get the installed music set and forgot when the ships were launched.  We recently YouTube review of Cellar Masters on the smaller ship going to Coco Cay in the background music definitely didn't fit the younger crowd. It was no doubt left over from in the ship launched.

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

For me, yes and no.  In Ensemble Lounge? Bring it. 😄

If I am looking over the night's main show, and it is the best of the 50s or a "Dave Miller sings Sinatra" night?  It's a hard pass. 😞

Roger that!

5 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

On my last "regular" cruise on the Millie in November 2022, I had a good experience with some of the entertainment.  We had the show Boogie Wonderland and guest singer Kristina Wells singing the diva hits of the 1970s.  I guess I like at least some of the music from the 70s. 🙂

I, like you and some of the other posters here, most enjoy the music from the 70s, 80s, and 90s.  In order to scratch that itch more thoroughly than on regular cruises, I often take music themed cruises with music from those decades.  In fact, I'll have music from the 70s, 80s, and 90s on three separate cruises within six weeks of each other early next year.

This has been an interesting discussion.  Following.  I'll go back to lurk mode now.

• Like 2

I’m confused by this because on all of our X cruises in the last 2-3 years ALL of the music has been from the 80s through today. Okay, I’m including Queen and ABBA as 80s since that’s when I listened to them.

Thinking back, one of the main production shows in the last 18 months was all 90s through 2020. 

I also love classical and jazz and used to really enjoy string quartets and jazz combos in the lounges. A bit over the solo guitarist doing acoustic versions of random classic rock songs. 

Edited by mrgabriel
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

I'm 43 in two months, my music tastes normally are 70s-90s some recent stuff.

Genre is probably a mix, the recent music I like EDM, but otherwise I'll listen to most things except country, rap, smooth jazz.

Probably my most listen to artists are Hans Zimmer, Tears for Fears, Guns N Roses, Faithless, Prodigy, Depeche Mode, Armin Van Buuren, Simple Minds and Jean-Michel Jarre.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

I’m confused by this because on all of our X cruises in the last 2-3 years ALL of the music has been from the 80s through today. Okay, I’m including Queen and ABBA as 80s since that’s when I listened to them.

Thinking back, one of the main production shows in the last 18 months was all 90s through 2020. 

I also love classical and jazz and used to really enjoy string quartets and jazz combos in the lounges. A bit over the solo guitarist doing acoustic versions of random classic rock songs. 

The bulk of Queen's albums were released in the 70s. There are certainly albums from the 80s but I think most of their best known work is from the 70s (Sheer Heart Attack, A Night at the Opera, News of the World, etc.). Freddie died in 1991.

ABBA's last album before their 2021 "reunion" was in 1981. They were definitely a 70s band.

We've clearly sailed the wrong ships, or just gave up on the production shows as unrelated pop songs strung together for no apparent reason. By some very good performers who would shine with better material. The only thing I remember from the last couple of decades was "Skyfall" in Soundtrack. There is an older thread (2017) here on Cruise Critic where someone put together playlists from the shows, and some of them do have much newer music. But they're not the shows we've seen onboard. Were these E-class sailings and shows?

7 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

I am a 1960’s fan , wife is a 70’s , we love live music, we have our 7th rock and romance 70’s music charter booked on summit in March. We have seen and talked to America, Michael McDonald, Rita Coolidge, Foreigner, BJ Thomas , etc etc , next cruise has Air Supply, Kansas and many others . Same company offers a 80’s cruise a 60’s cruise, disco cruise etc etc. they are more expensive but live music all day and way past midnight.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2024 at 8:56 AM, Tom and Ingrid said:

On all the lines we have sailed, there is little 50s music.

I was shocked there was a 50s night on a recent cruise...do not recall one of those in the last 10 years. (70s & 80s, yes)

We are finding most music 60s-today, typically with a nice range. Even the strings players typically are doing contemporary songs as opposed to classic.

We are 58 & 61 and enjoy a wide variety of genres & decades of music.

One difference--I prefer the NCL ships that have the Syd Normans shows (late 70s/80s mostly) as opposed to the Cavern Club (Beatles). My PARENTS listened to the Beatles (yes, I know them & like them well enough...but my preference is later)

• Like 2

On 6/26/2024 at 9:56 AM, Tom and Ingrid said:

This is an interesting question. We’re <50 so I guess our generation’s music would be 80’s/90’s. I watched an appalling amount of MTV in the 80’s but also grew up listening to lots of 50’s/60’s/70’s music as my dad and uncles would play that in the car and we went to a lot of music festivals with bands from those eras.  I really enjoy music from the 50’s to now but we mainly listen to current hard rock/metal. 

Every night on a cruise, we like to listen to live music in the lounges.  My favorite sets would be ones where the house bands play songs from a variety of genres/eras.  If there are two shows going on at the same time and one is 70’s themed and the other is dance music themed, I’d probably choose the dance theme.   Nothing against the 70’s music but often it seems like the same songs are always played in every 70’s set list.  I’d rather have some variety.

To hear our favorite genre played live on a cruise, we’d have to book a stateroom on the Headbanger’s Boat.  That would probably be fun but I don’t think I would want to only listen to metal all week, either.  I really do like when there’s a variety of live music onboard. 

Edited by Mangrove Snapper

I'm in the "Day that music died group." late 50's 60's, 70's... 

However it seems that everyone loves the music they heard as a teenager.

Up to date Hip Hop.. that will send me to another cruise line.

What's the sense of playing a tune if you can't hold onto the one you love.

A quote by someone here a decade ago.

"Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise.

Slow dancing leads to the first."

On 6/26/2024 at 12:49 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

And here I thought Sinatra and the Big Band Sound was in the rearview mirror. I guess he’s coming back on Celebrity cruises. 😂

He’s still got the fight in him, Dancing Queen, We Are The Champions and Sweet Caroline don’t go down easy though.

• Haha 3