have it all include pinacle; can substitute?

mark46

I’ve never had a poor meal in the PG, however some have been better than others. I’ve been able to choose 3 starters for my entire meal which is great for me because I have a small appetite. 

In your case they would probably only substitute something for something that is already on the menu. Like a different sauce. However, it’s really easy if you want steak— you just order the type of steak that you want. It’s the multiple component dishes that you might want to make substitutions. 

• Haha 1

Wow, I just realized that you probably meant something else. Do you mean substitute a different dining venue for the Pinnacle Grill?  If so, no probably not. I would go to Customer Service and ask. 

I actually put something similar on my after cruise survey that I would like the option of using the dining credit for lunch instead of dinner. I know, it’s not comparable in price but I would enjoy it more. 

• Like 2

Canaletto is what I had in mind

I expect that our Neptune Suite concierge will be able to take care of this, but I wanted to point out the issue.  Some of HAL stuff even says 2 out of Pinnacle, Tamarind and Canaletto.

For me, this is plain silly (as is not allowing to use the credit for lunch).  I don't know what they are trying to accomplish.

• Like 1

I have been fine with the appetizers.

The BAKED Alaska was frozen and the flavor was NOT Ben and Jerry's.  Sides weren't very good.  Even the lobster mac and cheese was just OK.

BTW, I'm from the only one.  When looking for reviews of food on the Rotterdam, the reviewers all had their pluses and minuses.  Overall, they were very. very favorable.  Tamarind is of course one of the very best restaurants at sea.  Some liked, and some loved Canaletto. But several had negative remarks about the Pinnacle.

• Like 2

I won't point to youtube reviews since they may have copyright issues. Please note, that for this customer and for me, we LOVE Holland America and its food.

Here's a customer comment from another site.  I'm sure he/she won't mind.

After such excellent experiences at Club Orange, dinner at Pinnacle Grill was a huge disappointment. From the service to the food, everything was horrible. 3 of 4 steaks cooked wrong.1 sent back twice. And what made it worse was no one cared, not server, not the manager and apparently not the chef. Asparagus tasted like it came from a can. We had to get up and pour our water after glasses sat empty. And again, no one cared. Baked Alaska was horrid with over cooked cake and icy, tasteless ice cream. No way was that Ben and Jerry's as advertised. . Worst specialty restaurant experience in 72 cruises. Will never go back or recommend. We will gladly stick with Club Orange where the food and service has been beyond expectations.

• Like 1

Haljo1935 mention food substitutions.  Here I have not had a problem.  Sometimes the protein will come with sides that I don't prefer.  I've had no troubles getting substitutes, even those not on the menu.  

Also, I believe that the experience of those who have the same waiters almost every day can even ask for something different for the next day.

I have heard a lot about Canaletto.  That kind of service is certainly common there.  I recall a story where a couple made their order and the chef came over and wanted to speak with them since they hadn't ordered his special lasagne.  He offered and brought over a small serving for each of them at no charge.  THAT is what I expect from HAL.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mark46 said:

I have been fine with the appetizers.

The BAKED Alaska was frozen and the flavor was NOT Ben and Jerry's.  Sides weren't very good.  Even the lobster mac and cheese was just OK.

After 2 poor meals in PG we’ve stopped going. 

And about the Baked Alaska: I requested my usual- just the ice cream with the cherries- and was told they no longer offer that option. The Baked Alaskas are assembled in another kitchen in advance and just served in the PG. I agree- that was not the real Cherry Garcia.

On ships that have both Tamarind and PG you can use one HIA credit for either one, if you have 2 credits, one has to be used for PG or Tamarind and the other has to be used for Canaletto. That was the case for us last year on the Koningsdam. In August we are on the Volendam and our 2 HIA credits can only be used for 1 in PG and the other for Canaletto. When you book a reservation online before you board your options are as I said above. Like others have said, we have never had a bad meal in PG, but when given a choice between PG and Tamarind, we book Tamarind every time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mark46 said:

Is there a customer care number that would help with reservations?  The Navigator insists that Pinacle must be used.

I will try again,

You will probably have to wait until you are onboard. First thing go directly to the reservation kiosk and see about changing. 

I have yet to be impressed with HAL's desserts, period.  Although I haven't been on HAL in quite a while, about the only thing worth eating was the bread pudding with vanilla sauce in the Lido.  I usually just had fruit and or cheese with a glass of port after dinner. Baked Alaska is overrated and I haven't had it in decades.

• Like 1

I'm on Nieuw Amsterdam in November for 7 nights.  My HIA only includes 1 specialty dinner. 

I just checked on the app, and if I chose any of Pinnacle, Canaletto, or Tamarind, it gives me the option to apply my dinner credit. I much prefer Tamarind (or even Canaletto) over Pinnacle.  I'm not the steak lover I once was.  I absolutely love those little lobster dumplings, though!

We had terrible service on Rotterdam on the 150th Anniversary TA in April 2023.  And the mushroom soup, which I really like, was enough to have been served as an entree.  It's very rich and filling, and it was way too much.  They brought out all appetizers (my friends had ordered both soup/app and salad) at the same time, and then it was FOREVER before the entrees arrived.

I'm not a sweets person.  I typically get a cheese plate to go, which I did that night.  It was as good as always.

1 hour ago, scamper said:

I have yet to be impressed with HAL's desserts, period.  Although I haven't been on HAL in quite a while, about the only thing worth eating was the bread pudding with vanilla sauce in the Lido.  I usually just had fruit and or cheese with a glass of port after dinner. Baked Alaska is overrated and I haven't had it in decades.

Agreed. I sail HAL a lot for their long voyages.  I stop in port to seek out chocolatiers so I have my own stash of sweets.   If you haven’t sailed the pinnacle class ships know that the cookies and some of the pastries in the Dutch cafe are worthy desserts . 

• Like 1

We had 3 specialty restaurant meals and used 2 in Pinnacle and 1 in Canaletto.  I wish we had used 2 in Canaletto.  The Pinnacle was fine but we loved Canaletto.  At least on the Oosterdam the Canaletto seems to have improved incredibly.  I have not been on a ship with Tamarind but would also love to visit that restaurant.  If you have to use one meal at Pinnacle is it possible once on board that the Neptune Concierge could change it to a lunch rather than a dinner.  I know the lunches are limited to sea days but they sound wonderful.  In our experience the Neptune Concierges can often work magic!  Enjoy your cruise, Cherie 

• Like 1

BOTTOM LINE

The dining credit must include Pinnacle.  It makes no difference what some of the literature says.  The system is set up to require Pinnacle.  Of course, the situation ended up being punted to Guest Services when onboard.  I suspect that HAL just refuses to pay someone to make a programming chance.  After all, they will make more money if a few hundred dining credits were used at Canaletto instead of Pinnacle.  The extra money would add up fast. 

=====================

I contact HAL. Chat was useless.  A call was useless until she escalated the call. The policy is very clear.  The system will only allow the dining credit to be used for Pinnacle.  The Dining Credit is indeed a Pinnacle (Dinner) Credit (sometimes plus tamarind or canaletto)

==============

HOWEVER, the supervisor indicated that Guest Services makes this kind of change once we are on board.  In other words, Guest Services becomes to good guys by allowing us to bypass HAL's rules.

And, of course, our concierge would fix it after I'm on board, especially when all the reasonable reservation times are gone. 

========