Not off to a great start…

bled01

Sailing on the Mardi Gras today and upon entering our room we noticed that the sofa had a huge stain on it and it smelled.   I know these rooms get a lot of traffic, but this can’t be normal.   Housekeeping came to the room and says it will take 2 hours to clean and we can’t be in the room.   Not really thrilled with that solution.😩

IMG_0946.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bled01 said:

Sailing on the Mardi Gras today and upon entering our room we noticed that the sofa had a huge stain on it and it smelled.   I know these rooms get a lot of traffic, but this can’t be normal.   Housekeeping came to the room and says it will take 2 hours to clean and we can’t be in the room.   Not really thrilled with that solution.😩

IMG_0946.jpeg

I would have asked to have it cleaned also, “ugly,” and then to be kept out of cabin - head to Guest Services - surely the Head Cabin Steward/Housekeeper/whoever should be alert to these issues. 

Edited by cellfree
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, cellfree said:

I would have asked to have it cleaned also, “ugly,” and then to be kept out of cabin - head to Guest Services - surely the Head Cabin Steward should be alert to these issues. 

We already went to guest services.   I guess we’ll have to see how well it gets cleaned.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bled01 said:

IMG_0946.jpeg

Looks like the previous guest just couldn't wait for someone to finish up in the bathroom.  I guess that's what happens when there are two people and only one bathroom 🚻 🤷 🤔 

• Haha 1

Yuk.  I always thought about asking for an extra sheet to cover the couches.
Or maybe there’s one underneath in the pull out drawer.  

I’m surprised the cabin steward left it like that.  However, maybe it wasn’t noticed because they’re in and out so quickly.  

My cabin on the Mardi Gras in May had a smaller, but still noticeable, stain right up front and center. At the time I thought it was a bit tacky for them to leave the sofa in that condition, but maybe they do?? I suspect the old "orange" vinyl furniture was easier to keep clean than the cheap looking upholstery used on the Excel ships. 

1 hour ago, Sea Raven said:

My cabin on the Mardi Gras in May had a smaller, but still noticeable, stain right up front and center. At the time I thought it was a bit tacky for them to leave the sofa in that condition, but maybe they do?? I suspect the old "orange" vinyl furniture was easier to keep clean than the cheap looking upholstery used on the Excel ships. 

I am confused, which did you dislike more?

12 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I am confused, which did you dislike more?

The old vinyl is perfectly fine with me. It has served Carnival well for many years.  I was just surprised by the wear and tear already evident on the Mardi Gras sofa since it was so new. I feel like it may be an ongoing battle to keep them fresh and clean looking. Maybe they could go with a gray or blue vinyl instead of fabric.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Sea Raven said:

The old vinyl is perfectly fine with me. It has served Carnival well for many years.  I was just surprised by the wear and tear already evident on the Mardi Gras sofa since it was so new. I feel like it may be an ongoing battle to keep them fresh and clean looking. Maybe they could go with a gray or blue vinyl instead of fabric.

The ship is 3+ years old. No telling how many people have been on the sofa. Vinyl would not be a bad idea.

• Like 1

Makes you wonder about the things in the couches, chairs and carpet that you can't see.

I stay in hotels all the time for work and I have seen my fair share of unpleasant things. I just try to not think about the stuff you can't see lol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stobe1 said:

Makes you wonder about the things in the couches, chairs and carpet that you can't see.

I stay in hotels all the time for work and I have seen my fair share of unpleasant things. I just try to not think about the stuff you can't see lol.

Good idea - it's the stuff you can't see that can kill you.

• Like 1

As well as they may have cleaned that stain, I would ask for another of CCL's pool towels and lay it over it.  No way I would put anything on it, or sit on it without some sort of barrier.  Having had 2 kids (and a cat- lol) , I can also tell you that some stains (like urine) may "re-appear", raising back to the surface, no matter how well you think you have cleaned. 

15 hours ago, bled01 said:

IMG_0946.jpeg

15 hours ago, cellfree said:

I would have asked to have it cleaned also, “ugly,” and then to be kept out of cabin - head to Guest Services - surely the Head Cabin Steward/Housekeeper/whoever should be alert to these issues. 

15 hours ago, bled01 said:

IMG_0946.jpeg

Clearly this is unacceptable 

Stained and Stinky Sofa on  day 1

I would have pushed it in the hallway and

Called the head House Keeping 

And never let it back in my cabin 

They have replacement furniture on every ship

• Like 5

While I agree, the OP's experience is unacceptable and should have been handled prior to them entering the cabin I'm curious where this extra furniture is stored on a ship? Having done work on 4 ships I know how limited space is for storage of anything and I've never seen spare furniture. Just curious on where it is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, audcc77 said:

Yuk.  I always thought about asking for an extra sheet to cover the couches.

Poor cleaning isn't limited to Carnival's ships.  I was in a Junior suite on Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas in January 2023.  They didn't do a good job of cleaning the room before we arrived.  The carpet needed vacuuming and the couch was dirty (but nothing like what the OP experienced). I pointed it out to our room steward when we met him.  He cleaned it a little more when we left the room, but I still still didn't want to sit on the couch, so I asked for a couple extra blankets and made my own couch cover. 

Screenshot_20240630_085820_Gallery.thumb.jpg.b9a68e0a9e1411ff3d91ced7660a4611.jpg

The stain isn't very clear in this picture. 

Screenshot_20240630_085843_Gallery.thumb.jpg.9a0369a3ca41bb16a327c3d4e0f8c0f7.jpg

This is what it looked like when I was finished.  I think it turned out pretty good, and looked better than the tweed fabric that I covered. 😉

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ray98 said:

Yikes...how did the steward miss that?

Not sure he/she did.  If it happened that morning or whatever the circumstances are/were.  32 cabins to turn over in a couple hours puts all on a tightrope to get it all done.  Things happen.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, joe/jack said:

Clearly this is unacceptable 

Stained and Stinky Sofa on  day 1

I would have pushed it in the hallway and

Called the head House Keeping 

And never let it back in my cabin 

They have replacement furniture on every ship

IT is your vacation after all.  Maybe there would be another solution....just saying.