Quantum-class fans?

irun5k

Recently sailed on the Quantum- it was my first time on that class. I've sailed pretty much all the other classes minus Icon. Prior to sailing I wasn't expecting to enjoy the ship as much as I did.  I knew there were a lot of folks that aren't huge fans.

• Really enjoyed the Seaplex, whether it was foosball, ping pong, bumper cars, laser tag, pickleball, etc.  
  • Ship is easy to navigate.  I appreciated aspects such as being able to walk from one end of the ship to the other on pretty much every deck
  • Pool deck flow is good, between outside pool, solarium pool and the adults solarium
  • Multi-level promenade/esplanade was nice, with some amount of natural light.  Music Hall is a nice venue also and liked that it was right off the promenade
  • 270 is a unique venue and Cafe 270 is a good option as well (and no line for a latte of a morning)
  • iFly onboard is unique, realistically it is an hour of your cruise but still cool to have it onboard a ship

I can imagine some tweaks making it even better.  Playmakers in the Seaplex as they've done on Odyssey would be really cool.  Also just about anything else in the venue labeled Noodle House would be better than what they had- many good concepts they could steal from themselves or Carnival.

The Quantum of the Seas specifically is in dire need of the upcoming drydock from an exterior standpoint- ship looks awful on the outside.  No complaints with the interior.  The Starwater show was bad- not an issue with the talent but the show itself... and I make a habit of enjoying shows that lots of other people don't care for such as Blue Planet 🙂. I knew North Star would be broken but it is unfortunate they designed something that requires specialized equipment to repair.  Also there are many stores selling high end merchandise which seemed to be overkill when the ship is servicing the North American market.  Those were really my only negatives.

I feel like I'd enjoy sailing on a Quantum class here in Florida.  Personally I think the Seaplex would be a great addition to any ship.  I am not sure how the outdoor spaces scale in a warm climate and I also recognize the lack of things like water slides would be an issue for many.

What about you, are you a fan of Quantum-class ships?

• Like 1

I really enjoyed anthem on a December sailing from cape liberty. 

As I understand it the paint issue is an Alaskan regulations thing, they aren't allowed to paint the hull in those waters or some such- normally this upkeep is done during normal docking and doesn't require drydock. 

I personally love Quantum class, but have only been on Ovation. Last year for 54 nights, and being local to Seattle during the summer, can do Alaska without having to fly anywhere. I have several hobbies, so I always have things to keep me occupied. Next April, I will be on the Anthem B2B that ends in Seattle, so just one flight to Singapore. Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

PS…the Ovation has Fish and Ships where noodle place is on Quantum

• Like 1

I did not like Anthem in 2016, but when RCI figured out crowd control it became WAY more enjoyable and we sailed 10 more times.

We LOVE Anthem's solarium!!! Bolero's, Music Hole, Two70 etc.

I am not sure Odyssey is superior to Anthem.

• Playmakers is not something we desire... but absence of a roof over family pool can be a problem for families and even for us Solarium users (it will be colder in Solarium and probably more crowded)
  • We enjoyed although rarely open area behind Windjammer which is now absent
  • We liked Virtual balconies on Anthem ... and Odyssey does not have many

But we will know better in November and onward.

Edited by Tatka

Very good short synopsis of the Quantum.

Our Thoughts

Quantum- We like the suite(Con) lounge quite a bit and the Crown Lounge is good enough.

Bumper Cars, Pickle Ball - the lines are too long, I gave up on three separate Quantum Sailings.

270 is very good, but the temperature is somewhat hard to control. (Wife gets cold)

I hope that Playmakers gets added to the Seaplex as it is badly needed.

Edited by neverbeenhere

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

I did not like Anthem in 2016, but when RCI figured out crowd control it became WAY more enjoyable and we sailed 10 more times.

We LOVE Anthem's solarium!!! Bolero's, Music Hole, Two70 etc.

I am not sure Odyssey is superior to Anthem.

• Playmakers is not something we desire... but absence of a roof over family pool can be a problem for families and even for us Solarium users (it will be colder in Solarium and probably more crowded)
  • We enjoyed although rarely open area behind Windjammer which is now absent
  • We liked Virtual balconies on Anthem ... and Odyssey does not have many

But we will know better in November and onward.

I think Odyssey makes more sense from Florida or sailing to Greece. Not sure it will be successful from Cape Liberty. 

• Like 1

Overall, I prefer Quantum (and Quantum Ultra ).

Oasis class --

The suite deck is stupid,

SCHOONER Bar (the actual bar faces the noisy promenade) is not great,

I love the water show,

Like Central Park,

Promenade is a disaster,

CK part of the suite lounge is bad,

The suite lounge is NOT a 3-mile walk,

Deck 7 crossover.

Elevators?

Quantum --

Love 270,

I love the SCHOONER Bar,

I love stand-alone CK,

Like Playmakers, 

Like SeaPlex,

Hate the 3-mile walk to the suite lounge.

A few dead-end deck walks,

Get rid of the Bionic Bar,

Music Hall vibrates into the Schooner Bar.

My first cruise was on Quantum. I love that ship! Things I especially loved:

- the main dining rooms. I know it isn't as traditional, but having the separate smaller dining rooms instead of one big one is great. It felt a lot more personal.

- the 270. The view from the 270 was the best. It was such a nice place to hang out and watch the wake and have a snack.

- the seaplex. There was always something fun going on in the seaplex. Even if there was a line for an activity like bumper cars, it usually moved pretty fast.

- the overall atmosphere. Unlike the Oasis class ships I've sailed on, Quantum rarely felt crowded and seemed really laid back. Yes, there were still lots of people, but it was seemed like it was a lot easier to find places or activities that were less crowded.

7 hours ago, acuprulez said:

I really enjoyed anthem on a December sailing from cape liberty. 

As I understand it the paint issue is an Alaskan regulations thing, they aren't allowed to paint the hull in those waters or some such- normally this upkeep is done during normal docking and doesn't require drydock. 

That makes sense.  Ideally, ships would be in well maintained condition before arriving in Alaska for the season.

2 hours ago, violinsgo said:

Quantum rarely felt crowded and seemed really laid back. Yes, there were still lots of people, but it was seemed like it was a lot easier to find places or activities that were less crowded.

I agree, the ship never felt overly crowded.  The one exception was the Windjammer after we left Dawes Glacier!   I am glad we got in early!  When we were leaving I think it was the biggest line I've ever seen for a Windjammer...

2 hours ago, steveru621 said:

Oasis class --

SCHOONER Bar (the actual bar faces the noisy promenade) is not great,

Agreed, Schooner Bar on Oasis might as well be Guest Services. For a signature bar with a nautical theme, I feel it should be more enclosed and/or have a better presence.   It isn't fully enclosed on Quantum either but the ambiance is much better.

Add me to the "I didn't think I'd like it but I did" camp. I sailed Spectrum last summer for 12 days and really enjoyed it. Didn't get bored on the ship at all, thought the size was good (though I prefer oasis). It was very easy to navigate the ship, plenty of venues that spread everyone out nicely, and seemed to have plenty of room for everyone.

I didn't like 270 as much for shows because there seemed to be a lot of obstructed views but it wasn't terrible. Really liked music Hall. Just overall was really surprised that the ship didn't feel too "indoors" and it didn't feel too small.

I would have liked a playmakers also but that food definitely doesn't appeal to the Asian market as much. And as for the high-end shops, they were empty on our sailing too, even though the Asian market actually does like high-end shopping. Those stores were a waste of space. 

• Like 2

We have only done 2 cruises with RCI,first in 2019 on Quantum from China to Singapore & recently a Transatlantic on Anthem,it would have been more but for Covid & RCI changing itineraries!

We loved Quantum,agree never seemed crowded,light & airy,quirky artwork,loved the Doghouse van set up visually,neat touch,easy to navigate,loved dining outside at the stern,the solarium was wonderful & our JS was a beautiful room,she was heading to Singapore for her 5 year refurb,hard to believe as she looked like new!

We really wanted to get back on Quantum & were sure we were not going to like Anthem as much,how wrong can you be,great layout,amazing crew,not a JS this time but a Large Balcony cabin,another beautiful room,spoiled slightly by a canopy over it which restricted the view & the sun,lovely cruise.

If anything IMO the artwork on Anthem wasn't quite as enjoyable as Quantum but we would love to sail Quantum class again,pity about the problems with Northstar,never had a desire to look down on a ship from a great height myself,but it would be a shame if they ended up as an ornament!

• Like 1

I had no interest in Q class ships at all. For some reason they just didn't appeal to me. I ended up booking Odyssey only because the dates, departure port, itinerary, and pricing all lined up.  I ended up loving the ship. I think there are a few design quirks but I don't care. I also think O class has better entertainment. However, I found Odyssey to be more relaxing. I ended up doing a second cruise on the ship and hope to do another one soon.

• Like 4

We love Quantum class ships and sailed Quantum in 2015 when she went from Bayonne to Asia.  I think it’s the best ship class for colder climates.  270 is my favourite venue for sea days.  A great place to chill and read a good book.  Seaplex, Solarium, Music Hall, and Royal Esplanade are all great venues.  Unlike OP we liked the better shopping on Quantum better than what Royal offers on most cruises out of Florida.  I don’t think you can go wrong on either Quantum or Oasis class.

• Like 2

We've been on Anthem and Odyssey.  I'd probably pick Oasis class over Quantum class....but I do love both.  My favorite spot is the 270....amazing room with the huge windows (and then very neat how it turns into a theatre, etc).  And the 270 Cafe also has great food offerings.  Odyssey too is very modern (and Anthem has great musical).  Some complain about the Esplanade being crowded and bad layout but I really didn't have an issue with it.  SeaPlex was lots of fun for our kids as was iFly. North Star is neat with the views. Only complaint is Anthem's dining room, but that was built when they were doing dynamic dining, and they fixed it with the open dining room on Odyssey (not sure about Quantum or Spectrum).  Also, the rooms on both Anthem and Odyssey are nice and long with great extra storage.  So yes, I'm a fan of Quantum class as well.

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1