Just received an offer To Cancel

What does "interline" mean?  It's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread and never heard this term.  Is this staff from another line sailing on HAL?  Thanks for the info! 

BTW, I'd take that offer in a heart beat and figure something else out!!  One of the perks of being retired and not dependent upon vacation days.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, RRFan said:

What does "interline" mean?  It's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread and never heard this term.  Is this staff from another line sailing on HAL?  Thanks for the info! 

BTW, I'd take that offer in a heart beat and figure something else out!!  One of the perks of being retired and not dependent upon vacation days.

It’s those in the travel industry and certain eligible family members. They get deep discounts and have certain requirements. If a cruise is overbooked at the time of sailing they might be moved to a lesser cabin, consolidated into a cabin if they have more than one booked, or bumped from the cruise to make way for regular passengers. 

Over the years (at least twice a year it seems) someone comes on here saying they got bumped, and omitting the fact that that was part of the possibilities- until someone calls them on it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Year ago I was a TA and got an offer for a client to change sailings.  After talking to my  client who was able to change I told  the cruise line they needed to upgrade my client from on an outside cabin to a suite. Yes, they were upgraded and couldn’t thank me enough. Be aggressive, if they want the cabin and you don’t have a TA to bargain for you, do it yourself. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

I received an offer a month ago.  Instead of their suggestion to move to next year on a specialty cruise I picked another cruise altogether which suited our schedule better.  I wish I had been a bit more aggressive in the offer but it did come with an upgrade. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2024 at 3:48 PM, teacherman said:

We are scheduled to fly to Boston on Friday and depart Saturday on Volendam for Montreal.  I have received an offer today to give up our reservation, receive all of our money back, maybe have our airline rebooking fees paid, and get a "free" cruise on Zuiderdam in late August or September with the same itinerary.  Does this mean they have overbooked this cruise?  Can passengers possibly be "bumped" from the cruise.  I have never before seen an offer like this the week of the cruise.  Have any of you?

We were offered the same thing from Princess about 10 years but we declined. 

Overselling cruises has been happening for decades. Sometimes that results in guests being bumped. Bumping doesn't happen often, but it does happen on every single cruise line I've sailed.

From first hand experience, we were almost bumped from the Regency Star in the late 80's. We had to wait off to the side to see if there were no-shows. Back then, cruises left from Jamaica and we were already on island. It was a guarantee cabin. That cruise ended up being quite unique as we were hit by a barge and then Eastern Airlines went out of business/strike for our return trip. Anyway, ship happens. Not enough that I've ever really worried about being bumped again (although it does give me pause booking guarantee cabins). 

I have several interline people in my circle. My understanding is that they bump interline passengers before sending out the 'move cruises' email. That's one of the things you are aware of before booking as an interline passenger. That makes sense as the emails asking for volunteers to move because the ship is oversold is bad press. However; I do suppose that cabin category would make a difference here too.

Overselling cruises seems to be happening more often. Currently the Celebrity Constellation is oversold and emails have went out looking for volunteers to move cruises.

My point. It happens. Rarely. On Every.Single.Cruise.Line.

I hope the OP comes back to tell us the outcome. 

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2024 at 6:00 AM, Mary229 said:

I received an offer a month ago.  Instead of their suggestion to move to next year on a specialty cruise I picked another cruise altogether which suited our schedule better.  I wish I had been a bit more aggressive in the offer but it did come with an upgrade. 

It always pays to ask.

I am waiting to see if we are asked to move/cancel our Alaska cruise next month, as it has been sold out for quite a while; even our PCC guessed it might be oversold.  We are only in a Neptune C Guarantee, so we wouldn't mind that much if it happened.  

On 7/2/2024 at 8:34 AM, sambamama said:

To clarify, if you book a guarantee cabin, you are booking a cabin in a certain category. I almost always book guarantees, and I get my cabin number anywhere from one month to 3 days before. You may go up from what you booked, and I always have. I always book an inside, and always end up with an outside cabin. So just because you booked a guarantee, you wouldn't get bumped. You are booking a cabin you just don't have a number. The ship gains flexibility. I usually book a year or more in advance. 

It’s funny: just by its name, “guarantee” actually sounds more assuring or promising than non-guarantee in terms of a probability not to be bumped.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I took a cruise on the ship enchanted princess this year. The ship was sold out. My stateroom was originally booked as inside guarantee. They/princess upgraded me to an wheelchair accessible.  The stateroom was very spacious large bathroom area. I am mobile have no problem doing stairs or the elevator or getting around. I thought that those rooms were solely for people that needed them.🤔 just saying.
Like any big large corporation it’s all about making money. They can charge more money for the inside state room and have four guests vs wheelchair accessible and only have two guests. Another strange thing about this upgrade I was being emailed by them/Princess regularly/suggesting that I bid for an upgrade. I ignore the emails with that type of offer bc I’m not willing to pay extra for an upgrade. I assumed/thought they sent those emails to everyone, hoping somebody will bite. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ray4Fun said:

Yesterday, We received an offer to move our cruise to next year. We accepted.

Good for you. Which cruise is this? I am interested in the timeline and how long before the cruise in question?

8 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Good for you. Which cruise is this? I am interested in the timeline and how long before the cruise in question?

8 Days out... 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ray4Fun said:

HAL made us a good offer. Yes we are OK with the situation. It was worth the cost of admission. 

Glad you could take them up on their offer, sounds like a great deal.

Wondering whether you or anyone else has a sense of how they choose who to make cancellation offers to (aside from cabin type)?  My first thought was that they'd make offers to folks who had secured a good price for their booking.  I'm a first time amateur, who booked online, late and without any discounts; guessing I paid more than average and thinking HAL sees me as $$$ and would rather NOT see me cancel 😏

On 7/1/2024 at 8:10 PM, TiogaCruiser said:

That’s how rumors get started.

In the past Interliners have gotten bumped, rarely, but that is part of the deal they agree to. The problem is when they come on here and whine about how unfair it is, all the while failing to mention their status.

Just for clarification if they fail to clarify their status how do u know they are Interliners ? Also just to know that word Interliners mean you have probably benefited from it in the past 😂

I do think your right though Interliners are the first to be bump if the cruise lines get to that point. 

I saw someone on Reddit claiming HAL offered them their fare back if they'd accept a downgrade from their balcony. So they got an obstructed oceanview (HIA included) for only taxes and fees. 

Pretty good deal, and an interesting twist on the cancellation offer. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, nimiq said:

Just for clarification if they fail to clarify their status how do u know they are Interliners ? Also just to know that word Interliners mean you have probably benefited from it in the past 😂

I do think your right though Interliners are the first to be bump if the cruise lines get to that point. 

Someone inevitably asks them.

• Haha 2

My neighbors are currently on the Volendam. They received a 100% refund to switch cabins from a balcony to an obstructed ocean view. This was the day before the cruise. They took it. Dont know any other details until they return.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2024 at 12:48 PM, teacherman said:

We are scheduled to fly to Boston on Friday and depart Saturday on Volendam for Montreal.  I have received an offer today to give up our reservation, receive all of our money back, maybe have our airline rebooking fees paid, and get a "free" cruise on Zuiderdam in late August or September with the same itinerary.  Does this mean they have overbooked this cruise?  Can passengers possibly be "bumped" from the cruise.  I have never before seen an offer like this the week of the cruise.  Have any of you?

We have good friends who took the offer and took a basically  free cruise from Singapore to Ft Lauderdale on the Zuiderdam GWV this year!

• Like 3

Our cruise on the Volendam next month is 100% sold out and I suspect we will see similar offers. We are in a Vista suite with a balcony and there is no way we would volunteer to downgrade to an obstructed OV cabin.  Looks like HAL has oversold most of the Volendam Canada/NE cruises for the next two months.