The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday July 5th, 2024

richwmn

Today is Thong Day, Work Without Your Hands Day, and Fried Chicken Day

The world is not a wish-granting factory.--John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

Meal Suggestion for today - Savory Zucchini Waffles
Drink of the Day - Godfather
Wine of the Day - Big Table Farm 2021 Cattrall Brothers Pinot Noir (Eola-Amity Hills)
Destination of the Day - St Johns, Newfoundland, Canada

Today in History:
1687 Isaac Newton's great work Principia published by Royal Society in England, outlining his laws of motion and universal gravitation

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 07-06

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

Djupivogur, Iceland

Noordam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Oosterdam

Trieste, Italy 06:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland eta 07-06

Volendam

Bar Harbor, Maine 07:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Prince Rupert BC, Kaien Island Canada 08:00 - 17:00

Zaandam

Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska 1000-1030

Zuiderdam

Reykjavik, Iceland 08:00 - ovnt

0705Alaska.thumb.png.2709ed57c177aabda31461c96d9805ee.png

0705Atlantic.thumb.png.ef11923321ab42864e7e7f92db75c5b1.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 24

Godfather cocktail:

The Godfather is a duo mixed drink made of Scotch whisky and amaretto. Typically, the drink is served with ice in an old fashioned glass. Wikipedia

Main alcohol: Amaretto, Scotch whisky
Ingredients:
1 1/6 oz (2 parts) Amaretto,
1 1/6 oz (2 parts) Scotch whisky
Preparation:
Pour all ingredients directly into old fashioned glass filled with ice cubes. Stir gently.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Drinkware: Old Fashioned glass

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 6.28.53 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 17

Today’s Care List:

Kazu having leg/foot pain, to have stents placed

Cruzin Terri with right bicep muscle tear, steroid injection

StLouisCruisers’ twin’s arm injury

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Lady Hudson’s friend post stroke, with some paralysis, moved to rehab

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Luvteaching’s DM did well with heart procedure, hopefully going home today

USN59-79’s DW Sara with a good heart evaluation

JazzyV’s BFF can start weight bearing in walking boot

Bennybear’s indoor water restrictions lifted

RMLincoln’s DH’s satisfactory eye doctor visit

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for luvteaching (Westerdam July 7 to July 14) 7d Alaska Explorer

Cruzn single (Westerdam to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice, tupper10 (Zuiderdam to July 20) 21d Viking Passage and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 23
  • Thanks 18

Good morning friends!  We have arrived in Reykjavik for our two day stay and the weather looks decent.  Partly cloudy skies today and a high of 58, light winds.  Tomorrow will be sunny and 58.  Very thankful for that.

Yesterday afternoon turned into a huge debacle because the powers that be decided we should go through immigration for departure clearance for Iceland between 3 and 5 p.m.  They would start with deck 10 and call people by decks moving downward.  Well those 25 cabins on deck 10 somehow took 45 minutes to clear.  Apparently lots of folks were showing up that weren’t called.  By the time 4:45 rolled around they were still on deck 7 so we went to Pinnacle Grill and asked to move our reservation for dinner until today, July 5.  They were astounded to learn people would have their decks called for immigration during the dinner hour.  We went to the MDR and reclaimed our fixed sitting table for our meal because we’d told them we wouldn’t be there Thursday night.  In order not to be called during our meal, we skipped starters, ordered our main and said maybe to dessert.  They were calling decks all during dinner.  We finished our meal quickly (bad menu—should have been eating Pinnacle steaks instead!) and waited in the bar for them to call us.  We were finally cleared at around 6:45.  I made sure to send a comment on the Navigator app about our feelings on this debacle. 

Anyway, thank you Rich @richwmn for today’s Fleet Report and Daily as well as the maps. I think I will ignore Thong Day, wish I could work without my hands, and love fried chicken.  Meh on the quote, no thanks to the zucchini waffles, drink and pinot noir.  Huge news from Isaac Newton on this date.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your hard work reporting on the food and beverages every day.

Prayers today for our Dailyites and family/friends.  Special thoughts each day to Tana and to Terry @smitty34877 and family who are so kind in caring for her.  Praying for Joy’s @Seasick Sailor's sister Bonnie and friend Belinda, Ann @Vict0riann, Terri @Cruzin Terri, Jacqui  @kazu, Roy @rafinmd, Elizabeth @Haljo1935, Pennie @Nickelpenny, Annie @marshhawk and Chuck @catmando, Richard and Maureen @RMLincoln, Dixie @summer slope, Nancy’s DB @ottahand7, my DB, Alex and Jordan’s twin boys soon to arrive, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our military members in the region.  Cheers to everyone cruising and celebrating special events this day.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping us informed with your lists.  We appreciate you!

The port this morning is St. John’s Newfoundland, Canada.  It took me a while to get there due to bad weather but we really enjoyed our tour there last August.  The tour guide makes such a difference.  This port was previously reported on here on Dec. 10, 2021, March 10, 2022 and March 8, 2023.  I posted a few photos the date we were there, Aug. 18, 2023.  Here are the links for your convenience in retrieving your photos.

Hoping you all survived the July 4th holiday relatively well and that the fireworks won’t continue on all weekend.  Try to stay safe and keep well!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

It was great to finally get into St. John's Newfoundland.  The opening to the harbor is so narrow, it's no wonder we couldn't get in here before during big storms.  We had a busy day with a morning tour of Cape Spear, seeing sights in St. John’s and Signal Hill.

Here is the new lighthouse of Cape SpearIMG_4320.thumb.jpeg.710cc341f262ce0567435a57a61f2ab2.jpeg

the old oneIMG_4317.thumb.jpeg.b527b6f69680672e3407d86bb06c1c70.jpeg

The harbor in St. John’s with Zaandam

IMG_4362.thumb.jpeg.ef995ff4c71d4c33c0ead1054fb5a684.jpeg

Signal Hill

IMG_4372.thumb.jpeg.7fdfc25874c26f2d77efce189b05cea9.jpeg

view across harbor entrance to Fort AmherstIMG_4373.thumb.jpeg.e42414ac996db78e71a845bd193424d2.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8

Thanks for our TGif Daily, Rich and thanks to Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie and Ann.

Interesting collection of days. I’ll pass on thong day and not sure how you can work without your hands unless it’s mental and I think enough so I’ll pass on that too.  LOL.  The quote is very true.  Newfoundland is the only province DD DH and I have not visited, sadly.

@marshhawk Annie, hugs to you as you went through your sad anniversary on the 3rd 🥰. That’s a lot o loss at one time.

@smitty34877 Terry you and Tana are indeed two strong ladies.  you’re entitled to feel less strong some days.  Hang in there an hugs to you both 🤗 

IMG_3089.thumb.jpeg.e9d1f02a909cc2ce7c3bfb2cc80dae5e.jpeg

Well, I scored boxes big time.  You just have to know who to ask.  My neighbour had a great source and brought a bunch over for me 👍  I’m going to need a lot more as I have decided to move to an independent living facility which is very nice in the Fall and sell the house.  And before anyone worries, Ivan is more than welcome there. That was the clincher.  Whiter I go, he goes - I would never dump this sweet boy - he had a tough enough life before I got him.

IMG_3087.thumb.jpeg.c7104394ffbfb256b23d1662d80dbfb4.jpeg

A bit of the excess furniture was picked up by Restore (Habitat for Humanity) to sell and poor Ivan is struggling adapting to the couch that used to be in the living room.  there’s still a lot to go and a lot I have to decide on.  Didn’t sleep well last night - partly pain and partly a brain that wouldn’t stop and self doubt that kept hitting me.  LOL.

IMG_3088.thumb.jpeg.223cac76ccf2ce71a6438320b2f96d90.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list & all who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another hot day in the forecast for us, chance of showers.  Bertie and I went for an early walk, before it gets too hot.

Interesting days.  Not sure about thong day.   Depending on where you're from that could be different things.  Is it thong the footwear or thong the underwear?  Either way, I'll pass.   I don't know if I could work without my hands.  I'm not a big fan of fried chicken.

I'll pass on the meal, my hubby would love the drink, I hope the wine is fine.

I haven't been to St John's yet, maybe someday.  

Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great day.   Stay cool.

• Like 32

Good morning and Thank you for the reports!!

Yes, I agree, about Thong Day...  I'm CHOOSING to think of it as flip-flips...  I've called them thongs since I was a little girl!!  (And even called them "go-aheads".)  I definitely didn't understand work without hands -- But I'll ask River -- who DOES watch SpongeBob.

And, Fried Chicken...  I think I'll celebrate it and NOT the Zucchini Waffles!!!

That Godfather DOD is wonderful!!  And so easy to make!  Yes, that is a definite YES, please!!!

I will someday make it to Newfoundland...  someday and until then...  I have all your wonderful photos and memories!!!

Happy FIFTH or July!!!

• Like 29

12 minutes ago, kazu said:

IMG_3089.thumb.jpeg.e9d1f02a909cc2ce7c3bfb2cc80dae5e.jpeg

Well, I scored boxes big time.  You just have to know who to ask.  My neighbour had a great source and brought a bunch over for me 👍  I’m going to need a lot more as I have decided to move to an independent living facility which is very nice in the Fall and sell the house.  And before anyone worries, Ivan is more than welcome there. That was the clincher.  Whiter I go, he goes - I would never dump this sweet boy - he had a tough enough life before I got him.

IMG_3087.thumb.jpeg.c7104394ffbfb256b23d1662d80dbfb4.jpeg

A bit of the excess furniture was picked up by Restore (Habitat for Humanity) to sell and poor Ivan is struggling adapting to the couch that used to be in the living room.  there’s still a lot to go and a lot I have to decide on.  Didn’t sleep well last night - partly pain and partly a brain that wouldn’t stop and self doubt that kept hitting me.  LOL.

IMG_3088.thumb.jpeg.223cac76ccf2ce71a6438320b2f96d90.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list & all who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Prayers for a smooth transition and MUCH HAPPINESS for you BOTH!!!

Your garden looks lovely and wonderful!!  I hope you'll have some plants to tend in your new place!!!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Finally, happy Friday! Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports

Hot and humid today. High about 93. Back to the summer heat. Is it fall yet? 

The pets have calmed down after a long night of fireworks. We put fans out at full blast to help drown the noise out as they were shooting them so close to the house. Now, the law here states that you cannot shoot fireworks off within 150 feet of a dwelling. Well, the house here are very close but who follows the law? My guess is that the fireworks will continue throughout the weekend. 

I have my rescheduled massage this morning which is badly needed. Then I will stay in and stay cool. 96 days until my cruise!

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Friday Cat Meme Know Your Meme Simplybe Images

• Like 33

55 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Godfather cocktail:

The Godfather is a duo mixed drink made of Scotch whisky and amaretto. Typically, the drink is served with ice in an old fashioned glass. Wikipedia

Main alcohol: Amaretto, Scotch whisky
Ingredients:
1 1/6 oz (2 parts) Amaretto,
1 1/6 oz (2 parts) Scotch whisky
Preparation:
Pour all ingredients directly into old fashioned glass filled with ice cubes. Stir gently.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Drinkware: Old Fashioned glass

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 6.28.53 AM.png

I’ll make a drink you can’t refuse! 😬😬

• Like 6
  • Haha 12

Good morning all. Big soccer day today. Quarterfinals for the Uefa Euro Cup. Germany vs Spain at noon, Portugal vs France at 3 pm and Canada vs Venezuela at 9pm in the copa America. All EDTimes. We are having a watch party for the first two games with pizza for dinner at our DD’s house. We will watch the Canada game at home. Rooting for Germany in game one, Portugal in game 2 and of course Canada. 

another warm and muggy day with possible thunderstorms later. I hope Mother Nature gets it out of her system today as we have a family fish fry at my sister’s house tomorrow. We gathered there last spring after our father’s funeral and decided we would try to make it a once a year thing. Any idea how hard it is to coordinate a date for 20+ people?

we set up our tent yesterday in preparation fir our camping trip to the gaspe. The tent was easy but the rain fly almost defeated us. You would think we had never used it before but this tent took us across the USA in 2012! Our DD has a tent with easy setup which we will look at today then make the decision which one to take.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  It is rainy and in the 50s here in the UP.  Thanks for the Daily and maps Rich.  I will pass on thong day, both types.  A shout our to Annie @marshhawk who works without her hands and I love fried chicken.  A rather true quote.  Will pass on zucchini waffles, the cocktail but an Oregon Pinot Noir.  Thanks for starting our day today with sunny photos of St. John's @StLouisCruisers.   

Jacqui, I am happy to read that you made the decision to move into an independent living community and that they accept Ivan. It will be a good way to meet new people while dog walking and that you got the needed boxes! Prayers for you as you work your way through the huge task of moving out of your long time home.  Thanks for the cares and celebrations report Vanessa.  Prayers for Tana, Chuck, Bonnie and Terri.  Prayer for all others who are ailing or grieving.   Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own.

I will be making a no bake cheesecake for the neighbor's fireworks party tomorrow and probably mop the cabin.  That will still probably not fill up this rainy day so a nap may be in my future.  Thanks for the prayers for my DB.  My DSIL sent a photo of him sitting in a wheel chair and he looked like an invalid.   Have a lovely Friday!  

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone!

We had an interesting evening.  DS Mary Jo and DBIL Mitch dropped off their dog, Rita.  Rita is spending the next week with us while her mom and dad are in California.  I think she is adapting just fine.  Mary Jo is a helicopter parent and sends continuous texts wanting to know how she is doing.  She slept well last night.  Wouldn't go with Sue, so she ended up in my room.  She did jump up on the bed this morning to let me know it was time to go outside.  So, out we went.  She won't go out the slider to the back yard, only the front door to use the front yard.  Rita was not at all phased by the fireworks.  She totally ignored it all.  

IMG_3439.thumb.JPG.b41eced488a373f03d698c7ab57a6ffa.JPG

Up on the couch where she isn't allowed.  Isn't that normal?  

@kazu That was a hard decision and I applaud you for making it.  I think you and Ivan will do well in independent living. I'm so glad he can come with you!  

Thank you to everyone for the nice comments about Baby Addie.  She is a cutie.  We talked last night about how happy I am that I moved back from Ohio so I can partake of family events.  If I was still in Ohio I wouldn't meet Addie until she was a year or two old.  

Is the zucchini starting to pile up?   Never fear, we will show you all the innovated ways you can use zucchini starting with zucchini waffles.  You always wanted to know, right?  Zucchini Waffles

zucchiniwaffles1.thumb.jpg.b5b00b3d91dfe16b93433ac87615b0ba.jpg

I generally don't eat waffles because of the carb load and I'll be skipping these as well.  But you might enjoy them!  This recipe adds in some parmesan cheese.  Parmesan Zucchini Waffles

zucchiniwaffles2.thumb.jpg.c550f5227fa0190a9a6b4e6cdde9cf9b.jpg

This one uses cheddar cheese and tops them off with an egg and avocado.  Looks good to me!  Cheddar Zucchini Waffles

zucchiniwaffles3.thumb.jpg.54ecc9108ffb06f1e72079f73f7edffd.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 16

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Another lovely morning. The breeze was just waking up at 6:30 this morning. Once again yesterday’s strong breezes helped manage the heat & kept the evening storms away. 

I shared a taxi in Greece with an Australian couple who educated me that many refer to flip-flops as thongs. So I suspect that is what the day is celebrating. At least I hope so. 

Vanessa, thank you for all you do. Hope you really did relax yesterday. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores & pool time. One of my chores is to figure out why my fairly new vacuum stopped picking up dirt. I have two sets of filters & three other parts to check for clogs. Bindi is molting, so I suspect her fur has caused a clogged somewhere. 

@Cruising-along Carolyn you might need to entertain your house guests this way…

IMG_3107.jpeg.dd63852b587fa0165ea82e4d001b615b.jpeg

IMG_3106.jpeg.1523cd63dbfc7a29b170cc6f3310401e.jpeg

IMG_2787.jpeg.7c6277073312cb08d8a745e246174521.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana praying that someone develops a treatment that helps you. Bless Terry and her support team for being by your side. 

Jacqui, praying that your surgery happens soon. And that it is as successful as Vanessa’s. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. Jacqui, I am celebrating your making a tough decision. And bless you for making sure Ivan is welcome.  I look around my place and say I really do not need all this. But I would miss my neighbors terribly. But I am sure that this decision is heading my way in the not too distant future. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Big Table Farm 2021 Cattrall Brothers Pinot Noir (Eola-Amity Hills)

This Oregon organic Pinot Noir is tempting, but outside of my budget. I would love a taste. I have been known to step outside of my budget for a stellar wine. A bit elusive, I found a couple of distributors with online prices starting at $66.99. 

Winemaker’s notes

Bill and Tom continue to be dedicated organic grape growers and have sold us pinot noir since 2009!  For those of you who like the earthier side of pinot this wine is for you – it ripens a little slower than everything else we work with, so it has a delicacy to it – but amazingly this vineyard is one that always impresses me and surprises me at how well it holds up to time – we just opened a 2010 – delicious and still delicious two days later!  I typically prefer young wines, that is what I am surrounded by, but if you find an older CBV give it a try!  Yes, Tom delivers the grapes in their old flatbed truck as is on the label – only 125 cases, the deer and the birds thought the fruit was good too!

tasting notes –

Can you smell “umami?” Technically, no. However, the experience of this brooding and savory wine may make you believe otherwise. Belied by its faint appearance, an earthy, spicy and slightly sweet aroma awaits and draws you into the faint redolence of a pacific northwest forest campsite. Layers of blackberry compote, sautéed mushrooms, and cast-iron bacon follow - comforting the senses.  A bright, delicate thread of blood orange, currants, and muddled strawberries enlivens the palate, leaving only shadows and soft footprints behind.

scores —
92 pts — Paul Gregutt
96 pts — Wine Enthusiast
96 pts — International Wine Report Editor’s Choice
93 pts — Wine Spectator
16.5+ pts — Jancis Robinson (20 pt system)
94 pts — Wine & Spirits

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 4

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!  Computer says it's 78 and sunny.  Actually the amount of smoke from all the fireworks, blending into the humidity, and we have a low smog in the "hollar".

New Dekalb County News, fireworks must end by midnight on the 4th.  I have no idea if that actually happened, as I was sound asleep by 11:45.  But I am seriously paying the price of either the heat, or something I ate.  And I am trying to wake DH up enough to cancel that appointment he has that is quite a ways from the house...maybe it's because I'm nervous about that check engine light (it's another light, but you get the idea) if I have to spend 40 minutes on the highway.  Either way, my body today just says STOP!  In fact, I am wanting to go back to sleep.

I'll let you know how my day pans out.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 12

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

It was great to finally get into St. John's Newfoundland.  The opening to the harbor is so narrow, it's no wonder we couldn't get in here before during big storms.  We had a busy day with a morning tour of Cape Spear, seeing sights in St. John’s and Signal Hill.

Hi, Sandi --

Thanks for the pictures.  We are scheduled to be in St. John's on 8/25/24.  Was your tour through the ship or by chance independent with McCarthy's Party?

Thanks,

Kay

• Like 17

Good morning. It is very humid here  and promises to be a very warm day in general. The dogs were not happy with the fireworks going on until very late. They are both going to be eleven soon and I don’t think their hearing is as acute. They patrolled the house  very well until it all stopped.

I will pass on both types of thongs and the other two days as well. The VOV took us to Newfoundland many years ago. Thanks to Sandi @StLouisCruisers, for the pictures and for including Tana in your prayers.

@dfish, Debbie, your great niece is just beautiful and I am so glad that you are near your family now. Rita looks like a cutie too!

@kazu, I am glad that you reached a decision that will work for  you and Ivan. I hope the surgery is scheduled soon.

We did a lot of grilling and moved the party indoors so that Tana had company last night. I made the blue cheese coleslaw again after three people requested it! DD made a strawberry icebox pie for dessert that was quite good. Tana eats very little these days but seemed to enjoy the usual banter and such that is typical of our meals. We waited until the teenagers were finished at the restaurant to eat as they provide much entertainment with work stories. 
Oh my. The weather person just said we are under a heat advisory. I knew that!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Still very dry even after a brief shower yesterday. The valley has moved into a Serious Drought stage. The lawn is like straw but surprisingly the trees have not started to shed leaves. No true rainy days forecast for the next two weeks.

With our Final Payment for our Rotterdam Transatlantic approaching, we will need to decide if we can go. DSIL has had a hiatal hernia for some time and has finally had it looked at. Not entirely her fault as the pandemic interfered,  then the backup with scheduling, etc. She is seeing the thoracic surgeon the 8th and if surgery is required, we may need to cancel depending on scheduling as recovery looks to be about twelve weeks. I depend on her to care for Sam if we go. Then we also have Sue's brother in law with Stage 3b Pancreatic Cancer. His chemo is not going well so that could also be a factor. Plus I also factor in Sam who seems to keep on hanging in there. He hasn't declined noticeably since his episode in March. But seems to now have regular bowel incontinence.

Cruise planning is a favorite pastime for me and with Sue's 75th birthday next June, I think I have found a perfect way of celebrating. All the cruise lines have "sales" right now but Cunard seems to be exceptional. The Queen Elizabeth has sailed in Alaska during the Alaska Season since 2019. Next year Cunard has an eleven-night cruise from Seattle that is $1,300 cheaper than the seven night HAL Eurodam. The QE visits both Hubbard Glacier and  Glacier Bay. Price is "apples to apples" with cruise fare-only for an aft balcony by the elevators for two!  If we decide to book it, we may try the Big Box store that includes a gift card.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1