Lumine Question

Summer 2025 will be the first time we have done Retreat so now we have a less crowded (?) restaurant Lumine.

We do anytime dining in the MDR and last cruise did 6 PM, however there was a nightly group we missed because it met the same time.

If we walked in on Lumine at 7 PM without a reservation, how long would we need to wait for a two top.  It is not that we are anti-social, it is just our experience in cruising across all lines if you are at a larger table, meal service is based on the slowest eater.

What about breakfast and lunch when open:  Should we do a reservation for that?

Two tops are a very common Luminae setup, unlike the MDR where they are rare, so that isn't going to slow you down.  Much depends upon which ship you're sailing.  It seems that the Luminae space to suite count ratio varies, with the newest ships having the most congestion - but that's just anecdotal reading the posts here at CC.  We've never had to wait more than a minute or two on M or S class ships for a seat ~ 7pm, and that's usually when we roll in. 

• Like 1

As for breakfast and lunch (on at-sea days), we've never had any delay at all, and Luminae doesn't do reservations except for unusual requirements or groups, and then it's still an exception.

4 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Summer 2025 will be the first time we have done Retreat so now we have a less crowded (?) restaurant Lumine.

We do anytime dining in the MDR and last cruise did 6 PM, however there was a nightly group we missed because it met the same time.

If we walked in on Lumine at 7 PM without a reservation, how long would we need to wait for a two top.  It is not that we are anti-social, it is just our experience in cruising across all lines if you are at a larger table, meal service is based on the slowest eater.

What about breakfast and lunch when open:  Should we do a reservation for that?

Luminae does not take reservations.  You should have no problems just showing up and being seated quickly.  You will love Luminae!

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

Two tops are a very common Luminae setup, unlike the MDR where they are rare, so that isn't going to slow you down.  Much depends upon which ship you're sailing.  It seems that the Luminae space to suite count ratio varies, with the newest ships having the most congestion - but that's just anecdotal reading the posts here at CC.  We've never had to wait more than a minute or two on M or S class ships for a seat ~ 7pm, and that's usually when we roll in. 

We are on the Beyond

Luminae at dinner, unless you are there as they open the doors or arrived 8:30+,   is busy and can get very loud.  With the exception of some first nights we have never waited more than 10-15 minutes

As mentioned Luminae has a lot of 2 tops.  They don’t do shared tables.  If you arrive as a party of 2 you are seated that way. 

16 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Luminae at dinner, unless you are there as they open the doors or arrived 8:30+,   is busy and can get very loud.

To be clear, that's a function of ship class.  In this case, the OP is on E class.  We've never found Luminae on M or S to be noisy, or super busy - and that's on cruises where the ship was booked full.

• Like 3

Luminae will generally be able to seat you immediately.    They do not have group tables so everyone will receive tables size they request.    Possible wait time can occur when many people want to dine at the same time.   This can occur after events like Senior Officers Greeting in Retreat.   On these occasions you may be invited to return to Retreat and they will ring when table is available. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, canderson said:

To be clear, that's a function of ship class.  In this case, the OP is on E class.  We've never found Luminae on M or S to be noisy, or super busy - and that's on cruises where the ship was booked full.

The OP is on the Beyond .
We have been in Luminae on all the E class ships and we found it to be noisy and crowded.

We now go closer to 8:30 to have a more enjoyable experience. 

I agree that Luminae on M and S class is  uch better.

Edited by jelayne
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Normally we have never had to wait more than a couple minutes while they clean a table and set it up.   When traveling with friends we have however had to wait for a table when dining with a group of 4 or 6.    The wait was as much as 30 minutes and were waiting in Luminae.

As others have said -  we find Luminae on E-Class to be much more noisy than M- and S- Class.   I also find food prep on E-Class more banquet style pre-cooked vs cooked to order on M and S Class.   I've have multiple dishes arrived over cooked or cold in the middle while plated on ultra hot plates.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

So sounds like I should utilize this mysterious butler thing and have him/her set up a standing 7 PM reservation for us?

Did you read any of the responses?  Luminae does not take reservations.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Having recently been on Ascent and Apex we never had an issue getting a two top but..... most 2x tables were miniscule (a balancing act with plates). Two tops at/near windows afforded little privacy (we also enjoy a bit of that when dining). 

The hostess on Apex was great and accomodating. We were fine with a four top along a back wall which was less crowded, Ascent was a bit more of a challenge. We don't need/ expect a four top at the window but it shouldn't be too difficult to arrange a bit more privacy although the hostess can make this a simple task or a more trying one depending on their style.

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

So sounds like I should utilize this mysterious butler thing and have him/her set up a standing 7 PM reservation for us?

No reservations..................

And while trying not to say no, this is not something your butler can assist with. Luminae is walk up only. Unless you are part of a large group where they might take a reservation (ie 10-12 people).

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Did you read any of the responses?  Luminae does not take reservations.

Sorry not working on 100 thrusters right now dealing with Covid.

You are NOT able to make reservations at Luminae.

From a prior post of mine referring to M/S class ships:

As with most things on Celebrity there is a hierarchy in Luminae. Tables are reserved in a subtle way, such as putting a bottle of wine on an unused table at lunch/dinner so that guests entering the dining area will assume the table is occupied. Leaving a certain desirable table not setup/cleaned at breakfast so it is unavailable to entering guests. Occasionally they will say a certain table is reserved for the PH guests but usually it is more discreet.

If you are in the IC suite on an E class ship they will accommodate your dining time and table location. If a sky, celebrity, or royal suite - then no. EV or PH... then maybe. 

9 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

Having recently been on Ascent and Apex we never had an issue getting a two top but..... most 2x tables were miniscule (a balancing act with plates). Two tops at/near windows afforded little privacy (we also enjoy a bit of that when dining). 

The hostess on Apex was great and accomodating. We were fine with a four top along a back wall which was less crowded, Ascent was a bit more of a challenge. We don't need/ expect a four top at the window but it shouldn't be too difficult to arrange a bit more privacy although the hostess can make this a simple task or a more trying one depending on their style.

What are you thinking of when you use the word “privacy”?  In a crowded restaurant I’m not sure what that means.  Do you mean to be away from everyone else?

12 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Less crowded? Not on an E-class ship.

9 hours ago, zitsky said:

What are you thinking of when you use the word “privacy”?  In a crowded restaurant I’m not sure what that means.  Do you mean to be away from everyone else?

My definition of 'privacy' when dining on any cruise ship is when the closest table cannot hear your converation when you speak at a low volume and that there is not a 'requirement' to initiate awkward conversation.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

My definition of 'privacy' when dining on any cruise ship is when the closest table cannot hear your converation when you speak at a low volume and that there is not a 'requirement' to initiate awkward conversation.

Well don’t you need a huge restaurant with all tables 10 feet apart?  

I will talk to strangers all day.  Can I show you pictures of my 19 year old cat?  I have never felt an obligation to talk to the table next to me on Celebrity beyond a simple hello.  A shared table on Viking?  Sure I’ll talk.  But I won’t talk to everyone at the table.

Maybe it’s because I spent time in Chicago where people just mind their own business.

We've learned 8 to 8:30 is the best time for Luminae. The early bird crowd tends to be taxing on the staff. By 8pm the restaurant is at half occupancy at most and service is much more relaxed and attentive. 

2 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

We've learned 8 to 8:30 is the best time for Luminae. The early bird crowd tends to be taxing on the staff. By 8pm the restaurant is at half occupancy at most and service is much more relaxed and attentive. 

But can you get in in and out in time for a 9 PM show?