What's the latest I can disembark the Celebrity Apex in Fort Lauderdale?

When we were on the Equinox in Barcelona staying in the Retreat we had the option to stay on the ship until later in the day.

I'm guessing this may not be available in Fort Lauderdale due to different Customs laws in the US, but does anybody know what the latest I can stay on the ship is? I'll be staying in the Retreat if that makes any difference.

I'll be boarding the Sun Princess the same day I get off the Apex so I don't need to stay too late but if I could stay until 10-10:30am that would be ideal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thank you!

Posted (edited)

Typically you are asked to be out of your stateroom between 7:30 and 8:00 AM and normally off the ship by 10:00 AM latest.  You can extend your stateroom stay until 9:00 AM in some instances with an additional fee charged on board.  They typically start boarding for the next sailing at 11:00 AM with all prior sailing passengers disembarked prior to that.

I'm not sure if there are any extended privileges for Retreat guests.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Typically you are asked to be out of your stateroom between 7:30 and 8:00 AM and normally off the ship by 10:00 AM latest.  You can extend your stateroom stay until 9:00 AM in some instances with an additional fee charged on board.  They typically start boarding for the next sailing at 11:00 AM with all prior sailing passengers disembarked prior to that.

I'm not sure if there are any extended privileges for Retreat guests.

Thank you, that's helpful.

10am would probably be late enough - I'm guessing a 10:30am arrival for the Sun Princess would be okay.

I appreciate the response!

On our last cruise in FLL, an announcement was made for cruisers to leave at 8:45 a.m.   There was no option to stay later.  We were among the last to leave and we were outside at 9 a.m.  After us, there were the B2B.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

When we were on the Equinox in Barcelona staying in the Retreat we had the option to stay on the ship until later in the day.

this is not available in the US

1 hour ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

I'm guessing this may not be available in Fort Lauderdale due to different Customs laws in the US, but does anybody know what the latest I can stay on the ship is? I'll be staying in the Retreat if that makes any difference.

They begin to call last passengers around 8:45. If there are delays in the terminal that could stretch to 9 or 9:30

I'll be boarding the Sun Princess the same day I get off the Apex so I don't need to stay too late but if I could stay until 10-10:30am that would be ideal.

That is very unlikely. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Typically you are asked to be out of your stateroom between 7:30 and 8:00 AM and normally off the ship by 10:00 AM latest.  You can extend your stateroom stay until 9:00 AM in some instances with an additional fee charged on board. 

not in the US.   The extend your stay program is not available in FLL or MIA.  There is no way to pay a fee to stay in your stateroom or to remain on board later due to US customs and immigration requirements.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@FamilyAtSea.travel

In the Retreat we are usually asked to depart the ship around 0900 or so.  0930 is the latest we have stayed in FLL and that was pushing it.  

I would plan on being able to stay until 0900 if you are in the Retreat.  We general tell the Retreat Concierge that we would like to stay as late as possible and they will inform you when it is time for you to leave. 

As @spunks said, delaying leaving the ship could result in a delay of new passengers being able to board. 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have done a number of cruises returning to Fort Lauderdale in the past 2 years.  The ship has had everyone but B2B passengers off by 9- 9:15 and B2B passengers went off as a group at 9:15 to have the ship zeroed out. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Thank you, that's helpful.

10am would probably be late enough - I'm guessing a 10:30am arrival for the Sun Princess would be okay.

I appreciate the response!

the info was wrong. Last time is likely 9:30 and that is pushing it. Often the call comes by 9am

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

@FamilyAtSea.travel

In the Retreat we are usually asked to depart the ship around 0900 or so.  0930 is the latest we have stayed in FLL and that was pushing it.  

I would plan on being able to stay until 0900 if you are in the Retreat.  We general tell the Retreat Concierge that we would like to stay as late as possible and they will inform you when it is time for you to leave. 

As @spunks said, delaying leaving the ship could result in a delay of new passengers being able to board. 

That's helpful, thank you.

12 hours ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

I cannot speak for Princess cruise process.  You may want to ask the same question on the Princess board. We've only sailed Royal Caribbean and Celebrity for the last 12 years. 

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

I cannot speak for Princess cruise process.  You may want to ask the same question on the Princess board. We've only sailed Royal Caribbean and Celebrity for the last 12 years. 

It seems like 9-9:30am is the latest I can disembark the Apex without it being an issue, so that's fine...I'll have a bit of time to kill at the Princess terminal but that's not the end of the world.

Appreciate the feedback!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

It seems like 9-9:30am is the latest I can disembark the Apex without it being an issue, so that's fine...I'll have a bit of time to kill at the Princess terminal but that's not the end of the world.

Appreciate the feedback!

Consider also that Princess typically uses Terminal 2 for their ships and Celebrity typically uses terminal 25.  IMO there will be 15 - 20 minutes+ transit between the two based on transportation availability and traffic between the terminals.  Port Everglades is a very busy place on arrival and departure days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Consider also that Princess typically uses Terminal 2 for their ships and Celebrity typically uses terminal 25.  IMO there will be 15 - 20 minutes+ transit between the two based on transportation availability and traffic between the terminals.  Port Everglades is a very busy place on arrival and departure days.

This is a good point.

I was thinking I'd walk from one terminal to the other but after I looked it up, I realized that would be a 4-mile walk with my bags...so I'll try to grab an Uber instead! Hopefully it won't be an issue getting one for such a short trip...

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

...so I'll try to grab an Uber instead! Hopefully it won't be an issue getting one for such a short trip...

You won't have trouble getting one (or a cab) as they are all very plentiful in that area on those days, but as they will all be busy with shuttles to (and from ) FLL, you may have to wait for their availability, which will add to the time getting there.  What may likely happen is you will get one dropping off someone at T25 who will then shuttle you to T2 for a FLL pick up there. But as you are aware they will show availability and pick up times in the app, so you will know.

But clearly you will need to factor that into your Celebrity disembarkation and Princess embarkation times.  Just me, but I would rather be off Celebrity early and waiting at the Princess terminal than pressing Princess.

Enjoy your cruises!

3 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I just got off the Enchanted Princess and by 9am they were begging people to leave.

Good to know, thanks! 

We are typically one of the first ones off the ship so I've never stuck around to see how things go later. 

In the US they have to zero out the passenger count before they can start new boarding.  Back to Back cruisers have to wait until everyone is off the ship.  It is not unusual that there will be a group that does not depart and the ship will start calling them over the speakers - until they are shown off the ship we have to sit and wait to reboard.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

This is a good point.

I was thinking I'd walk from one terminal to the other but after I looked it up, I realized that would be a 4-mile walk with my bags...so I'll try to grab an Uber instead! Hopefully it won't be an issue getting one for such a short trip...

I walked once but it was short walk. Still somewhat problematic as there is a large amount of traffic. Our second cruise was on HAL. At their terminal we were able to wait inside and do check but had to wait a while to board but we had a seat so it was not bad.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

At PE, you can take a taxi for $8 (plus tip) for intrafacility transportation. This is posted at the taxi stand if anyone wants to give you grief. Unfortunately, the taxi driver might not be happy. 

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

At PE, you can take a taxi for $8 (plus tip) for intrafacility transportation. This is posted at the taxi stand if anyone wants to give you grief. Unfortunately, the taxi driver might not be happy. 

Thanks, that's super helpful.

I'm empathetic to the drivers waiting in a long line for an $8 fare so I'll give them a big tip in cash to make up for it.

Just now, 1025cruise said:

Yeah. The taxi driver I got to go back to the airport was wondering if he should go back to the port afterwards. It seems more people prefer Uber over a taxi.

This is true - I definitely do!

30 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Yeah. The taxi driver I got to go back to the airport was wondering if he should go back to the port afterwards. It seems more people prefer Uber over a taxi.

I take an Uber to the port from my pre cruise hotel but I always take a taxi to the FLL airport. They are lined up and ready to go, no looking or waiting for the right car and the fare is about the same because the airport is close. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

I take an Uber to the port from my pre cruise hotel but I always take a taxi to the FLL airport. They are lined up and ready to go, no looking or waiting for the right car and the fare is about the same because the airport is close. 

We often do the same.  The advantage is that one the way to the ship we frequently encounter traffic delays, especially getting through the gate and then when nearing the ship.  If you are in a taxi the meter keeps ticking.  Lyft/Uber is a fixed, known cost.  

We seldom encounter traffic delays leaving the ship for the airport.  However, we have found that  Lyft/Uber vehicles are usually cleaner and more comfortable and for us that makes a difference.  So depending on how we feel and how much of a rush we might be in, is how we decide on ride share or taxi to the airport.