Status of Labadee

On 7/12/2024 at 9:50 PM, smokeybandit said:

The only chaos is several hours away and hasn't shown any indication of expanding outside of Port Au Prince.

The Kenyan police force sent to Haiti is already making progress in reclaiming the city from the gangs.

Now none of that, obviously, means anything to when RC may restart Labadee. But they're still pumping money into the town in the form of supplies, especially fuel. They stop there once in a while to drop off supplies.

We stopped there last night to drop off substantial provisions and the area was anything but peaceful. Loudspeakers from the hillside pumping warnings and threats down into the compound, and multiple search lights scanning the hillside to determine where they were coming from. A surreal experience to say the least.  We were supposed to be there until 3AM to drop off the supplies, but because of the chaotic environment the ship accelerated the drop through multiple cargo ramps se we could get out of there by 2AM.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

6 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We stopped there last night to drop off substantial provisions and the area was anything but peaceful. Loudspeakers from the hillside pumping warnings and threats down into the compound, and multiple search lights scanning the hillside to determine where they were coming from. A surreal experience to say the least.  We were supposed to be there until 3AM to drop off the supplies, but because of the chaotic environment the ship accelerated the drop through multiple cargo ramps se we could get out of there by 2AM.

Wow !

• Like 1

Didn't a few posters kept emphasizing the point that Labadee is perfectly safe and immune from all the chaos because it is too far away and difficult to reach due to bad road? Apparently no more. Gangsters are now positioning on the high ground with a perfect view of the compound and its flimsy perimeter fence.

3 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Didn't a few posters kept emphasizing the point that Labadee is perfectly safe and immune from all the chaos because it is too far away and difficult to reach due to bad road? Apparently no more. Gangsters are now positioning on the high ground with a perfect view of the compound and its flimsy perimeter fence.

To be fare, that was in March and it is now July.  They should have made it by now, even with bad roads. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

To be fare, that was in March and it is now July.  They should have made it by now, even with bad roads. 

Hopefully, we can get some clarification at the next Captain’s Corner.

Breaks my heart... We have had such great folks taking care of us when at Labadee.  Our cabana attendants tripped over themselves to make sure we had a good time.  My thoughts and prayer are with these unfortunate folks.  

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Breaks my heart... We have had such great folks taking care of us when at Labadee.  Our cabana attendants tripped over themselves to make sure we had a good time.  My thoughts and prayer are with these unfortunate folks.  

While I love both private ports, Coco Cay and Labadee, I would probably pick Labadee by a small margin.  I LOVE the relaxing feel of Labadee and the port is just beautiful sailing into and while docked.  It also tends to be warmer than Coco Cay in winter months.

I just wish they could improve the dang lunch offering.  Coco Cay blows them out of the water in that regard.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

While I love both private ports, Coco Cay and Labadee, I would probably pick Labadee by a small margin.  I LOVE the relaxing feel of Labadee and the port is just beautiful sailing into and while docked.  It also tends to be warmer than Coco Cay in winter months.

I just wish they could improve the dang lunch offering.  Coco Cay blows them out of the water in that regard.

That's a my assessment too.  I've got two coming up to Cococay this year still and one to Labadee.  I'm gutted that I'm not likely going to be able to get to Labadee.  Don't get me wrong Cococay is great and think there is so much to see and do there that isn't at Labadee but there was just such a peaceful vibe at Labadee.  

You are right though about the lunch offerings at Labadee.  That would be my only criticism.  

GOPR1463.JPG

• Like 1

On 7/13/2024 at 6:54 AM, Biker19 said:

This sounds like some of the COVID era pronouncements. 

Right? Whatever happened to "cruising is finished?" Funny, those Debbie Downers never really seemed to come back to say they were wrong. That's why I seldom believe people who "just know" what will happen.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Right? Whatever happened to "cruising is finished?" Funny, those Debbie Downers never really seemed to come back to say they were wrong. That's why I seldom believe people who "just know" what will happen.

Did you read the post by someone (Orville) who actually stopped there in the last few days to drop off supplies?  Tell me how this is going to magically get better now or anytime soon.  They have lost complete control.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BND said:

Did you read the post by someone (Orville) who actually stopped there in the last few days to drop off supplies?  Tell me how this is going to magically get better now or anytime soon.  They have lost complete control.  

It might take a while, I grant you. It was your "if ever" comment that prompted my response. Plenty of people back in 2020 said virtually the same thing, i.e. "cruising won't be back anytime soon, if ever." Yet I went on my first cruise after the pandemic in August 2021. So much for "if ever." You should have just stopped with the "anytime soon" part. No need for the hyperbole.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I agree with you about Labadee. While I like both ports, to me Labadee is a lot more tranquil and relaxing. Plus I love the roller coaster at Labadee (that part is not relaxing but it is a blast). 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

It might take a while, I grant you. It was your "if ever" comment that prompted my response. Plenty of people back in 2020 said virtually the same thing, i.e. "cruising won't be back anytime soon, if ever." Yet I went on my first cruise after the pandemic in August 2021. So much for "if ever." You should have just stopped with the "anytime soon" part. No need for the hyperbole.

It sure seems to me "if ever" was on the table. How long can a company service billions in debt with money going out and not coming in? We know cruising has continued and flourished, now.

I can't believe officers of these companies did not consider "if ever" as a possibility.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2024 at 9:54 AM, sandy toes said:

Since the July 2021 assassination of President Jovenel Moïse, the gangs have grown in power. The country has had disaster upon disaster. It lacked infrastructure prior but now much of that is destroyed or in poor condition. The social support service is in such horrible disarray. The gangs take what they want, build increasing fear in the people, "liberate" prisoners as members, and bring terror with them as they move about the country. I was in Port Au Prince with the Red Cross Disaster Team and things were bad then. The country hasn't had a chance. It is poor. Labadee is actually part of the Dominican Republic. There is one island Hispaniola which is shared by both Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Haiti occupies 3/8s of the island. a mountain range separates the two. 

I do worry about the Kenyan Police force as they have been called out by the UN for what they have done in their own country, yet they are part of this UN approved multi-national police force being sent to Haiti to take the country back from the gangs. The big question is will they be able to help, or will they add more conflict? 

What do you mean Labadee is part of the Dominican Republic? That is brand new news to me.

40 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

What do you mean Labadee is part of the Dominican Republic? That is brand new news to me.

Not sure where this is coming from - but it's not true. Labadie (Labadee) is indeed part of Haiti.  The history of Hispaniola has long been separated into Haiti and the DR - specifically since Haitian independence in 1804.  Hardly anyone calls it Hispaniola - as it refers only to a land mass - an island made up of two independent countries with very little ties to each other except a border. 

21 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

Not sure where this is coming from - but it's not true. Labadie (Labadee) is indeed part of Haiti.  The history of Hispaniola has long been separated into Haiti and the DR - specifically since Haitian independence in 1804.  Hardly anyone calls it Hispaniola - as it refers only to a land mass - an island made up of two independent countries with very little ties to each other except a border. 

I know which country Labadee is part of. I want to see how that poster justifies making that statement.

On 7/16/2024 at 6:25 PM, A&L_Ont said:

They could have walked in that amount of time.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

You obviously didn't read past the quoted post before your reply.  😉

Right, I posted after I read the post I quoted.

57 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I know which country Labadee is part of. I want to see how that poster justifies making that statement.

Sorry, I was agreeing with you in questioning the other poster.  

• Like 1