Snobbery on cruise lines?

On 7/22/2024 at 11:34 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

As demonstrated in this thread, I think a lot of snobs don't even realize they are snobs.

So true.

Just as a lot of low-lifes do not realize they are low-lifes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

These receptions are for the status guests only, not the entire ship. I didn't realize that a good part of it was to honor their top status guests. Usually, it is just a champagne, wine, snacks event to meet the officers in a nice setting. We don't go anymore.

On 7/18/2024 at 7:08 PM, ldubs said:

In the cruising world, "formal" has been redefined by many as khaki's and a collared shirt.  Works for me!  

We pick cruises pretty much by the ports so different cruise lines. So if their site said formal then we would do formal. No problem.

7 hours ago, clo said:

We pick cruises pretty much by the ports so different cruise lines. So if their site said formal then we would do formal. No problem.

I remember -- wedding tux and rhinestone tunic.  Enjoy!  

14 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I remember -- wedding tux and rhinestone tunic.  Enjoy!  

Smile 🙂 And the rhinestones were a brooch of my mother's and small earrings. Just tried to find a photo but couldn't. Very tasteful. 

27 minutes ago, clo said:

Smile 🙂 And the rhinestones were a brooch of my mother's and small earrings. Just tried to find a photo but couldn't. Very tasteful. 

Yes, I'm sure it and you look very nice.  Nothing personal, but no need for pic's. They would be wasted on me.   

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/22/2024 at 5:34 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

As demonstrated in this thread, I think a lot of snobs don't even realize they are snobs.

On 7/27/2024 at 7:45 AM, Donald said:

So true.

Just as a lot of low-lifes do not realize they are low-lifes.

Basic human nature at work. People need to have a positive view of themselves and are not likely to view themselves in an unflattering light. They see the faults in their neighbor without seeing their own faults. "I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I don't have any faults."

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Basic human nature at work. People need to have a positive view of themselves and are not likely to view themselves in an unflattering light. They see the faults in their neighbor without seeing their own faults. "I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I don't have any faults."

I managed big mass market ships for many years.

The snobbery game was taken to new heights on many of those ships - especially on long cruises.

Today I manage small high-end ships where just about everyone onboard has a lot of money, dresses well, and behaves well.

We have managed to price out the snobs and their victims in one go.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Donald said:

I managed big mass market ships for many years.

The snobbery game was taken to new heights on many of those ships - especially on long cruises.

Today I manage small high-end ships where just about everyone onboard has a lot of money, dresses well, and behaves well.

We have managed to price out the snobs and their victims in one go.

So are you a Hotel Director?