Motion in Sunset Veranda?

sayok

I've always sailed in midship staterooms since I'd heard there is less movement noticeable there. I was wondering if anyone here to weigh in on how much motion you feel in a sunset veranda room? Really torn between that and an Aqua Class midship 😮 TIA!

I’ve sailed in SVs on both E and S class ships…typically on decks 8 or 9.  I’ve never felt any excess motion.  

Enjoy the beautiful wake view. 

• Like 4

I also have not noticed unpleasant motion on M and E class sunset verandas.  I think our SV's have been on deck 7 on M class and deck 8 on E class, which probably are more stable than the higher decks.  

Cheryl

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Only slept at the back on M class. Whilst most of the time the motion wasn’t an issue we did have two gusty days and I did take my sea sickness tablets! 

Whilst I love the wake view I wouldn’t book extreme forward or aft rooms for Transatlantic or Transpacific cruises. Would definitely book an aft view for usually calmer water…

Edited by chemmo

We were in a deck 12 Sunset Sky Suite on the Eclipse two weeks ago and never felt any movement. I will say chair noises from Oceanview Cafe was excessive though,  especially at midnight to 1:00 am and again at 5:00am when they apparently decide to do their cleaning and drag every table and chair they have. I would never stay on deck 12 sunset veranda again on S class ships. 

If you're prone to motion sickness and know it, I would stick to mid-ship.  I have definitely felt more motion at the rear of ships and had it affect my sleep (also felt it in the restaurants at the back).  I take motion sickness meds the day before I step on the ship.  People who are not sensitive to this type of thing don't really get it.  

We had a Sunset Aft stateroom on the Edge earlier this year.  I remember laying in bed looking out to the horizon and being surprised how much the ship was going up and down, but more surprised that other than seeing it, i wasn't feeling the motion.  Does that make sense?

13 hours ago, sayok said:

I've always sailed in midship staterooms since I'd heard there is less movement noticeable there. I was wondering if anyone here to weigh in on how much motion you feel in a sunset veranda room? Really torn between that and an Aqua Class midship 😮 TIA!

If you've ever felt seasick on a cruise ship, you should book mid.  Closer to the front or rear will simply have more motion than the mid

I have motion sickness issues and we have booked SV cabins for 4 out of 5 past cruises (one was last minute, so no SV available).  I have only felt motion one time in an SV cabin and that was on Infinity in Alaska where we had 20’ seas and 30 knot winds and there wasn’t anywhere on the ship where you didn’t feel a lot of motion!

Honestly it doesn't matter what people think or felt. It's a simple matter of science. If there is motion to be felt at all, it will be worse further aft or further forward.  Scientific fact. I also feel (and this gets into personal opinion and experiences) that all the way aft you will often feel more side to side rocking at times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

We had a Sunset Aft stateroom on the Edge earlier this year.  I remember laying in bed looking out to the horizon and being surprised how much the ship was going up and down, but more surprised that other than seeing it, i wasn't feeling the motion.  Does that make sense?

Yes.  The difference isn't the amplitude of the motion, it's the acceleration that you feel vs. see.  Even large translations at slow speeds aren't going to be felt.

• Thanks 1

This is great input, thanks so much. I should have said this was on E class (Apex). I've heard about the soot issue -- we actually found that at the Rooftop Grill too 😞 (on Ascent). 

I’ve only been bothered with aft “fishtail” movement on a Princess ship smaller than M class.  Rough waters and many were sick.  I enjoy cruising in corner aft Sky Suites on S class, any deck.

That said I was seasick sailing in a gorgeous Signature Suite (far forward, deck 14).  This was on Bonine and wearing a Relief Band.  No more forward cabins for me.

7 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Honestly it doesn't matter what people think or felt. It's a simple matter of science. If there is motion to be felt at all, it will be worse further aft or further forward.  Scientific fact. I also feel (and this gets into personal opinion and experiences) that all the way aft you will often feel more side to side rocking at times.

Mind the physics...

Side to side (roll) motion is exaggerated by how high you are above the axis of motion.  Being forward or aft doesn't make a difference. 

It's front-back up-down motion (pitch) where the motion is exaggerated by being further forward or aft.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, raudacruise said:

I’ve only been bothered with aft “fishtail” movement on a Princess ship smaller than M class.

Ouch.  Your "fishtail" is one of those combined pitch + roll events.  They're usually the toughest on weak stomachs.  No fun.

There, you can get really hammered if you're both high and far forward/aft.

Edited by canderson
typoz

7 hours ago, canderson said:

Mind the physics...

Side to side (roll) motion is exaggerated by how high you are above the axis of motion.  Being forward or aft doesn't make a difference. 

It's front-back up-down motion (pitch) where the motion is exaggerated by being further forward or aft.

I was surprised that the motion that bothered me was the roll (side to side).  Deck 14 is indeed high.  Done with that.

27 minutes ago, raudacruise said:

I was surprised that the motion that bothered me was the roll (side to side).  Deck 14 is indeed high.  Done with that.

A tip for those days if roll gets to be a bit much and you're in the dining room...  pick a seat that allows you to sit cross-ways to the beam of the ship.  You want your chair going front/back in a rocking chair motion, not side to side like a metronome!  I've been told that's a much more comfortable direction for some when eating.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, canderson said:

A tip for those days if roll gets to be a bit much and you're in the dining room...  pick a seat that allows you to sit cross-ways to the beam of the ship.  You want your chair going front/back in a rocking chair motion, not side to side like a metronome!  I've been told that's a much more comfortable direction for some when eating.

Makes me wonder if I should have tried sleeping sideways on my please-don’t-barf bed.  Might give it a try.

39 minutes ago, OceanCruise said:

We have sailed in a corner aft sky suite on S class. Didn't feel motion except the whole room would vibrate for 15-20 minutes just when the ship was docking. 

I've always thought this was a function of prop cavitation when the azipods were being 'goosed' during docking maneuvers.  I'll bet @chengkp75  can confirm if that's the source of all of that early morning aft vibration while docking.  It's definitely a mechanical alarm clock on port days!

On 7/14/2024 at 10:16 AM, Cruise till you drop said:

We’ve done SV’s mostly on E class ships as well as Equinox and never felt any movement.  The only annoyance was a bit of soot from the stacks that fell into the railing of the balcony

We had corner aft sky suite on beyond, had two issues , it was too far from suite lounges and restaurants and the soot , no issues with movement.