Prime Rib

Question to the strategic food eaters and value seekers here!

I've always gotten a filet mignon or prime rib at Cagney's using my FAS meal or get sea bass at Le Bistro however I know that Cagney's also serves prime rib. 

Is the prime rib at Cagney's any different than the kind that I've seen at the carving station at the buffet (usually I'll see it once or twice at dinner) and sometimes I've seen it at The Local. I'm guessing that when you see it at the buffet or the Local that it's just extra meat or meal that they need to get rid of due to spoiling or spacing? 

• Like 1

The prime rib in the buffet is excellent. We have never had any in the specialty restaurants. Plus you can go back for seconds. That doesn't answer your question but if you like the buffet prime rib do what we do and save the specialty restaurants for things you can't get in the buffet like lamb chops.

• Like 1

Every night usually has a featured menu it in the Buffet and in the Local including the Prime Rib Night.  Extra Prime Rib is purchased.  The Executive Chefs have been doing this for a long time, they know how much the need to order each week.  Usually at the "How To Run A Floating Hotel" presentation, they present a chart that shows how much of what is required each week:  how many dozens of eggs, how much ice cream, how many pounds of meat, fish, chicken, fruits, vegetables, etc.  It is amazing!!

The prime rib in Cagney’s is 16 oz and cooked to your required doneness.  In the buffet you take whatever doneness they have and if you can, get a thick cut

2 hours ago, 1bighund said:

The prime rib in Cagney’s is 16 oz and cooked to your required doneness.  In the buffet you take whatever doneness they have and if you can, get a thick cut

And you have to beg and plead to get a decent sized cut.  If you're lucky, you get there just as they are bringing one out and they are willing to cut it in the middle so you can get a piece with some red left in it 

I've sailed on two NCL ships, Escape and Breakaway.  Escape twice, and Breakaway once.  When we were on Breakaway I had a mission: find the best prime rib on the ship.  I have to say that all were good, but the best was in the Haven Restaurant!  On my last NCL cruise, which was on Escape, I found the prime rib in Cagney's to be very tough!  So the next night I went to the Haven restaurant and had what I thought was the perfect prime rib!  The Haven is worth the extra cost for the prime rib alone!

Elvis  

• Thanks 1

I am just off the Star and my friend and I both tried the prime rib in Cagney's. It was terrible. Very tough and little flavor. Probably the worst prime rib I have ever had. On the plus side, we ate at Moderno and all the meat there was very good.

23 minutes ago, rritter25 said:

I am just off the Star and my friend and I both tried the prime rib in Cagney's. It was terrible. Very tough and little flavor. Probably the worst prime rib I have ever had. On the plus side, we ate at Moderno and all the meat there was very good.

I don’t care where you get prime rib I always find it flavorless, except for the part around the edge that has been seasoned well. The middle portion of the cut is just meh 

Agree that Haven Restaurant had the best Prime Rib.  2nd would be Cagney's.  3rd would be Garden Cafe.  None were bad.

I get mine medium rare.  Haven meal had a healthy sized cut, as did Cagney's.  You can pick the thickness you want when they serve it in Garden Cafe.  Problem is it sits under the heat lamp too long there.

On 7/15/2024 at 6:07 PM, UnbridledEnthusiasm said:

I'm never going to stay in the Haven so hearing that it's great won't help me but maybe it will help someone else. 

Yap.  Once a while someone says they'll never do anything other than Haven, just like some people only fly International First Class.  We will continue to fly economy basic, and we'll still get there, not as comfortable, but we'll get there.

As for Prime Ribs, we're happy to get them from the buffet.  My wife learned to roast Prime rib well these days, so we also enjoy those at home.

• Like 2

I've had prime rib at Cagneys, the buffet, and O'Sheehans (back in the day they had those dinner specials).   Cagneys was slightly the best over the O'Sheehans.  But it was close.  But I was not paying any upcharge for the O'Sheehans meal.  Was Cagneys that much better that it was worth the cover charge?  Probably not.

But this is like herding cats.  This is going off different years, different ships, etc.  Depending on the cut of meat, the chef, the cooking, I am sure you could get a really good prime rib meal anywhere.  I think that's more important than just the name of the restaurant.

On another note several years ago the gnocchi was far better in the MDR than La Cucina and there was no upcharge for it.   I've even had better pasta from the buffet or the same pasta than La Cucina. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Middleager said:

Yap.  Once a while someone says they'll never do anything other than Haven, just like some people only fly International First Class.  We will continue to fly economy basic, and we'll still get there, not as comfortable, but we'll get there.

As for Prime Ribs, we're happy to get them from the buffet.  My wife learned to roast Prime rib well these days, so we also enjoy those at home.

There's things that I cannot relate to when traveling:

1. Staying in Haven

2. Staying in a luxury hotel

3. Booking first class

4. Carry on only for trips long than 10 days (the people who only use carry ons like to remind you that they pack  light and only do carry on...they are the vegans or celiacs of packers!)

5. The NCL ducks...Find this stupid and I don't care

6. Decorating your door 

7. Paying for a behind the scenes tour of your cruise ship....Seeing where sheets get washed and where they store food? Fascinating! 

8. Talking about restaurants you ate at that weren't on the ship

9. Shows with magicians, dancers, gymnasts 

2 hours ago, UnbridledEnthusiasm said:

4. Carry on only for trips long than 10 days (the people who only use carry ons like to remind you that they pack  light and only do carry on...they are the vegans or celiacs of packers!)

Oh my gosh!! You're sooooo right about this. UGH!! I'm like the vegans. I'm mildly disappointed in myself now. Thank you for mentioning this as I need to check my thoughts before I start going on and on about that which shall not be named (much, anymore). 

• Haha 1

The last 2 cruises I went on in the last year. The local did not do theme dinners.

They only served prime rib one time and on both ships it was at lunch time in the buffet.

For years they would have prime rib in Osheans or the buffet on the first day this seems to be gone.

All the theme nights were in the buffet and the 2 times I went I did not care for the food.

On the BBQ night anything that looked close to beef was chewy and full of fat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/15/2024 at 6:07 PM, UnbridledEnthusiasm said:

I'm never going to stay in the Haven so hearing that it's great won't help me but maybe it will help someone else. 

Don't say that!  The first time I stayed in the Haven wasn't planned that way.  I had a cruise that was paid in full, but was canceled due to the pandemic.   They offered 100% of my money back or 125% towards a future cruise.  I took the 125%.  I figured the pandemic was either going to kill me or it will be over soon and things will get back to normal.   Two years later, when it came time to reschedule,  I really didn't miss the money I had already paid,  so I just added some more and we went in the Haven.   Since then I only book the Haven when I see a good price.  Please don't think me a "Haven snob" (although when I'm in the Haven I think of myself as one!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Elvis1209 said:

Don't say that!  The first time I stayed in the Haven wasn't planned that way.  I had a cruise that was paid in full, but was canceled due to the pandemic.   They offered 100% of my money back or 125% towards a future cruise.  I took the 125%.  I figured the pandemic was either going to kill me or it will be over soon and things will get back to normal.   Two years later, when it came time to reschedule,  I really didn't miss the money I had already paid,  so I just added some more and we went in the Haven.   Since then I only book the Haven when I see a good price.  Please don't think me a "Haven snob" (although when I'm in the Haven I think of myself as one!)

Don't think you're a snob at all. I'm just never going to spend extra money on it and I travel solo. The posts about getting "free" laundry due to being platinum, Haven meals, how someone's grandchildren went to some cupcake decorating event, concierge service etc. are just not relatable for me in the same way I have zero interest in looking for plastic ducks or hearing how great something I have no intention of doing is. In other words, yes I am self absorbed and only care if something is in my interest and will affect me. Ayn Rand sent me here. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, david_sobe said:

O'Sheehans (back in the day they had those dinner specials.

Gosh I miss those days! I had some mighty good meals on theme nights in O'sheehans/Local.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, UnbridledEnthusiasm said:

There's things that I cannot relate to when traveling:

1. Staying in Haven

3. Booking first class

5. The NCL ducks...Find this stupid and I don't care

6. Decorating your door 

7. Paying for a behind the scenes tour of your cruise ship....Seeing where sheets get washed and where they store food? Fascinating! 

8. Talking about restaurants you ate at that weren't on the ship

9. Shows with magicians, dancers, gymnasts 

Agree with you, except for these 3,

Staying in Haven

3. Booking first class

These add to my enjoyment of the trip and so will always do these.

• Like 1