What's in your carry-on?

How about they quit charging for checked luggage.  People would go back to checking their luggage and not try to carry on two weeks worth of stuff.  The carry on bags would go back to being just what people want in their possession.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/26/2024 at 4:26 PM, ldubs said:

Or you could simply enforce the personal item rule. Then there would be plenty of room for everyone.   

Or make overhead bins that can hold all the carryons. 😄

29 minutes ago, Keksie said:

How about they quit charging for checked luggage.  People would go back to checking their luggage and not try to carry on two weeks worth of stuff.  The carry on bags would go back to being just what people want in their possession.  

I like it. Address the root cause.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cheeruson said:

This should eliminate the Little Old Ladies with 65 lb plus bags, and also the herds of children dragging cases as big as they are.

I would NEVER help anyone lift those bags! You can join me in my role. My other things are really good too.

I carry a bit of cash, and my credit card in my jeans pocket, and my mobile phone.

Wife has a hand bag with more cash, her credit card and our passports and relevant paperwork.

She does split our cases up in case one goes missing.

Other the above. Nothing.

No way am I getting on ship desperate to use the Pool. Not when the bars are open.

9 hours ago, DarrenM said:

No way am I getting on ship desperate to use the Pool. Not when the bars are open.

Me and thee, buddy!

• Like 1

On 7/26/2024 at 9:31 AM, ldubs said:

Not saying you do, but a lot of folks who travel only with carry-on, abuse the "personal item" rule.  The personal item, whatever it is, should be stowed under the seat, not in the overhead.  

I like your comment about same outfits in photos.  Mrs Ldubs frequently says I need to mix things up so it doesn't look like I'm wearing the same thing.  

When hubby had to renew his passport they requested that his picture was wearing a different shirt...

• Haha 2

Most of what people put in their carry-on are things I put in my personal item. I'm very aware that a carry-on might be forced to be gate-checked so there is no way I'm putting anything breakable in there. Or anything I would desperately need such as medicine.

My personal item is a small laptop backpack which has my laptop, chargers, cords, wallet, passport, medicines, snacks for the trip, and (depending on how long the flight is) a travel blanket, neck pillow, and sleep mask. The carryon has clothing and other things that can be checked if necessary.

On 8/1/2024 at 5:35 PM, Keksie said:

Or make charges for carrying on more than one item with checked bags free!  😀

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 57redbird said:

When hubby had to renew his passport they requested that his picture was wearing a different shirt...

Hahaha.  I can identify with your hubby!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacMadame said:

Most of what people put in their carry-on are things I put in my personal item. I'm very aware that a carry-on might be forced to be gate-checked so there is no way I'm putting anything breakable in there. Or anything I would desperately need such as medicine.

My personal item is a small laptop backpack which has my laptop, chargers, cords, wallet, passport, medicines, snacks for the trip, and (depending on how long the flight is) a travel blanket, neck pillow, and sleep mask. The carryon has clothing and other things that can be checked if necessary.

My carry on will fit under my seat. I got it a few years ago when carry on jerks were filling up the bins. This isn't the exact one but similar. It lies flat on its back and I can rest my feet on it.

https://www.temu.com/luggex-underseat-carry-on-luggage-with-wheels-16-inch-soft-sided-under-the-seat-bag-for-airplanes-lightweight-overnight-suitcase-g-601099582123698.html

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Or make charges for carrying on more than one item with checked bags free!  😀

The more baggage there is, the more it weighs and that costs the airlines more in fuel. If people wouldn't be jerks there would be enough room in the bins. And that's a gift from the airlines.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, clo said:

The more baggage there is, the more it weighs and that costs the airlines more in fuel. If people wouldn't be jerks there would be enough room in the bins. And that's a gift from the airlines.

"😀".  It was intended to be tongue in cheek Clo.

In reality, "TANSTAAFL"

Edited by ldubs

9 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I genuinely cant imagine taking a laptop on holiday.

Blows my tiny mind.

Since we transact probably 90%+ of our personal financial business online it's really a necessary. 

10 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Blows my tiny mind.

How else would you back up your photographs?  I assume that you do back them up.

DON

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, donaldsc said:

How else would you back up your photographs?  I assume that you do back them up.

DON

What photographs?

I take a few on my phone, thats all.

No way do i care enough to take a laptop on holiday.

And if I lost them all, cant say it would upset me in the slightest.

Although, sometimes they could be useful to remind me of what I got up to, as its sometimes difficult to remember the following day.

On saying that, I am not sure I want reminding.

16 hours ago, clo said:

Since we transact probably 90%+ of our personal financial business online it's really a necessary. 

I have internet banking on my phone. Thats more than enough. 

But there again, I am one of those that doesnt keep receipts.

Never have.

8 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I have internet banking on my phone. Thats more than enough. 

But there again, I am one of those that doesnt keep receipts.

Never have.

I just looked and saw that using a "banking app" is safer than the computer. Will have to check that out.

Do people actually keep receipts? I find one in my bag occasionally and it goes straight to the recycle box.

I shudder to think how many non-needed/wanted emails I'd have if I were away for a month. 🙂

On 8/6/2024 at 12:51 AM, DarrenM said:

Blows my tiny mind.

I don't take one either now that I'm retired.   I can see some uses. 

Easier to post comments to forums and write blogs.

Necessary for those who do actual work. 

Photo editing and backup

Games, movies, etc. 

14 hours ago, DarrenM said:

What photographs?

I take a few on my phone, thats all.

No way do i care enough to take a laptop on holiday.

And if I lost them all, cant say it would upset me in the slightest.

Although, sometimes they could be useful to remind me of what I got up to, as its sometimes difficult to remember the following day.

On saying that, I am not sure I want reminding.

I wonder how many people have thousands of photos on their cell phones and never either delete the bad ones or back up the good ones.  I back up my phone and my camera every day when I travel.

DON

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

I back up my phone and my camera

I haven't used my camera in years; only my phone. And people rave about my photos. Here's one from Norway. DIdn't enhance the color.

No photo description available.