Is it too much to expect to receive what you have paid for??

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Is this true at the Martini Bar?  DH likes his martinis…do we have to watch with eagle eyes what they are pouring or will it be high end vodka there?  (I realize that can pour anything into a high end bottle ahead of time, but looking for people’s experience with this venue.)

I watch with eagle eyes. Once I saw them reaching for the well brand (not even absolut) and I quickly reminded him that I asked for Grey Goose. The vodka was dumped and drink started over like nothing happened 

Edited by Sandy1975
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sandy1975 said:

I watch with eagle eyes. Once I saw them reaching for the well brand (not even absolut) and I quickly reminded him that I asked for Grey Goose. The vodka was dumped and drink started over like nothing happened 

Oh goodie.  I guess we will be watching every move.  Such BS.  Someone else mentioned tipping seems to help which we were inclined to do anyway (I realize with the premium package I’ve already tipped) but a $1 here and there for good service is worth a shot to us.  

14 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Oh goodie.  I guess we will be watching every move.  Such BS.  Someone else mentioned tipping seems to help which we were inclined to do anyway (I realize with the premium package I’ve already tipped) but a $1 here and there for good service is worth a shot to us.  

It’s a sad state of affairs if you have to give a tip to get what you ask for ☹️

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, iandjm said:

It’s a sad state of affairs if you have to give a tip to get what you ask for ☹️

I tip, maybe a dollar a drink, but not always.

15 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I tip, maybe a dollar a drink, but not always.

This wasn’t about tipping, it was about people feeling they had to tip to get what their drinks package entitled them to.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iandjm said:

This wasn’t about tipping, it was about people feeling they had to tip to get what their drinks package entitled them to.  

“This isn’t about tipping, it’s about tipping.”

I tip for many reasons, and I was not born yesterday.  I didn’t know how bad it was on Celebrity, but tipping is one way to get what you asked for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Is this true at the Martini Bar?  DH likes his martinis…do we have to watch with eagle eyes what they are pouring or will it be high end vodka there?  (I realize that can pour anything into a high end bottle ahead of time, but looking for people’s experience with this venue.)

Hello,

I can only speak, recently, of the Martini Bar (on Silhouette) - and it is ESPECIALLY true of them.

Regards,

Cublet

17 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I tip for many reasons, and I was not born yesterday.  I didn’t know how bad it was on Celebrity, but tipping is one way to get what you asked for.

We finally agree on something 😂

20 minutes ago, zitsky said:

The world where you have to give a bribe to someone to do what they should be doing anyway is a very sad world.
I get tipping people to say thank you but not tipping them to get them to do something right. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Lastdance said:

We do not drink very much at all, but have trouble with getting premium water onboard unless we are okay with the large glass Evian water bottles.  Much of the time we cannot even get these onboard.  These comments, IMHO, are very valid and need attention!

I've ordered hundreds of bottles of water and literally never had this issue. All you have to do is ask "can I get a bottle of _____". It works every single time. 

35 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

We have had our wine substituted as well. Villa Maria is our go to and you know when you are being served cheap wine.   

Villa Maria is cheap wine. I would ask for something more interesting. Something from outside if NZ will not have the notorious cat pee note. 

• Haha 3

We don’t tip up front or with each drink.  We do tip at our favorite bars a small amount mid cruise but the majority is given at the end.  As mentioned in a previous post, we occasionally get a non premium liquor and deal with it diplomatically, but it is far from a frequent occurance.

A solution to the well drinks problem is that every time a member of bar staff/sommelier is caught serving cheap drinks instead of premium brands we should claim a $5(+20%) credit to OBC. Incidentally a few years back we were constantly told they’d run out of our preferred premium red and white wines, I reported this on board and later to customer services on return home, I received a £200 voucher for a future cruise.

if you order at a bar on land and they serve you an inferior brand then there is an immediate correction to the price charged, the ship should be called to account for serving classic brands to premium package customers, especially when they try to hide it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We had the same experience when we were on the Edge.  Paid the upcharge for the premium beverage package.  When we were in Eden or Fine Cuts - there were no issues bringing the better wines and seeing them poured.  But when we were in the dining room - oops!  We don't have the better wine that you just ordered in Eden here in the dining room.  

Yes - I complained to the F&B manager.  He complained back to me about supply chain issues and not every dining room has the same supply.

Last Celebrity cruise (on the Equinox) I complained with my wallet.  I did not get a drink package - premium or otherwise.  I brought on my own wine and I used my Elite privileges at the bars.  Didn't even do any specialty dining.  They lost my dollars.

• Like 3

We  just take the Classic package.. so we have lower expectations .We can bring on two "better" wines bought at a lower pre-cruise, plus some nice sparkly waters for me.

My husb can splurge on any  hi end  drink if he chooses,  and not incur  a huge upcharge!   

59 minutes ago, Arubamoose said:

We had the same experience when we were on the Edge.  Paid the upcharge for the premium beverage package.  When we were in Eden or Fine Cuts - there were no issues bringing the better wines and seeing them poured.  But when we were in the dining room - oops!  We don't have the better wine that you just ordered in Eden here in the dining room.  

Yes - I complained to the F&B manager.  He complained back to me about supply chain issues and not every dining room has the same supply.

Last Celebrity cruise (on the Equinox) I complained with my wallet.  I did not get a drink package - premium or otherwise.  I brought on my own wine and I used my Elite privileges at the bars.  Didn't even do any specialty dining.  They lost my dollars.

And this is how it’s done.  Good on you!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, canderson said:

let the F&B manager know about this

Given how prevalent this seems to be, I'd wager the F&B manager already knows this is going on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Given how prevalent this seems to be, I'd wager the F&B manager already knows this is going on.

And if that doesn't net an improvement, the next stop is the Hotel Director.  It's a matter of eventually figuring out where the buck stops aboard, though...

One hopes that this practice isn't known and approved out of Miami.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paulh84 said:

I've ordered hundreds of bottles of water and literally never had this issue. All you have to do is ask "can I get a bottle of _____". It works every single time. 

Well, happy to hear that.  Last time we were on a b2b in Europe, Evian, in the small bottles, were completely out on the ship.  Even talking to my suite concierge, along with asking at different places the answer was the same.  I guess you will need to be on all my booked cruises and get the water for me🤷‍♀️...can you do that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am thinking about the pressure to give 10s in the post cruise survey. Perhaps mentioning to the F&B manager that all scores relating to their department will be sup par if this continues will prompt action?

Of course, I wouldn’t punish my favorite servers and bar staff by doing this but makes me think next cruise this definitely will be mentioned in my survey.

I will not order a Cadillac margarita without watching them make it, too often even when standing there they reach for the below the bar tortilla brand tequila 😣 

• Like 2

Not the same but close enough.a story.

Old seafarers would say the docks in Liverpool were full of manual meat mincers.
If the ship was sailing say to the US or Canada the Purser would claim enough cash to buy food for all the crew for the length of the voyage.

But he only spent enough to last for one day less than the length of the voyage,,the other days cash he would share between itself and the crew galley cooks.

With no food left one day out the cooks would lift the duckboards in the galley and sweep up all the food that had dropped through,,,then put it all through the mixers to make ‘Pasties’,,,,,or as crew called them ‘Lucky Bags’,,,,,so the crew as soon as boarding threw all the mixers into the dock.

So….dont eat the Pasties in the buffet.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, chemmo said:

I only have wine when dining and tend to simply ask for a wine in the premium package that would complement whatever I am eating…

A couple of years ago, in the MDR, I asked for a Premium Sauvignon Blanc with dinner. 

Ten to fifteen minutes later, a glass of wine was plopped in front of me, without comment, and the cleraly overburdened "sommelier" immediately disappeared. I took a sip, and was surprised at how bad it was. I kept trying to get the attention of the person who had served it to me, and failed each time. Eventually, I asked my waiter to send her over. There clearly were not enough in her position for the number of people who needed to be served. When she finally came, I poolitely asked her if she was certain she had served me a wine from the Premium package, as it did not taste like one. Her completely serious answer was, "It's on both packages." In other words, she deliberately served me an inferior wine becuase the Premium package includes the Classic package, and she could get away with not making the effort to go find a better one.  

For the rest of the cruise, I got a good glass of wine from Cellar Masters before any dinners we ate in MDR. 

It seems that the understaffing problems since the startup have improved, and I hope this sort of thing isn't still happening. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

Well, happy to hear that.  Last time we were on a b2b in Europe, Evian, in the small bottles, were completely out on the ship.  Even talking to my suite concierge, along with asking at different places the answer was the same.  I guess you will need to be on all my booked cruises and get the water for me🤷‍♀️...can you do that?

If they don’t have it, what do you expect? It’s not a yacht charter where they go on shore to buy exactly what you want. I can say with 99.9% confidence they had something else available they offered you. Acqua Panna, San Benedetto, San Pellegrino, or some sort of mineral water.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2