price reduction of cruise price after final payment

lineman

With 58 days before cruise out of  Vancouver to Hawaii to go ,and after final payment I see a price reduction of over 2000.00 cheaper then what I paid! Can I get some money back or on board credit?

At 58 days out, you'd have to cancel and rebook, and the (U.S.) cancellation would cost you 75% of your original cruise fare.  I doubt $2,000 would make up for that.

If you were in Aus/NZ or the UK, the numbers would be different (e.g., 25% in Australia, which $2,000 might even cover with a little left over depending upon what you originally paid).

Only option is to look at upgraded cabin categories and see if there is something you may desire which would not be much more than you have paid.  Most times they will let you upgrade after final payment as long as you are paying at least $1 more in fare.

Sorry to jump.on this thread but am just seeking clarification that if a cruise becomes cheaper than you paid hen booking you can get your cruise price dropped before final payment. We used to be able to in the UK but that was a while back. We are thinking of returning to Celebrity at some point so the info would be really helpful. Thank you. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Sorry to jump.on this thread but am just seeking clarification that if a cruise becomes cheaper than you paid hen booking you can get your cruise price dropped before final payment. We used to be able to in the UK but that was a while back. We are thinking of returning to Celebrity at some point so the info would be really helpful. Thank you. 

In our experience, no you can’t in the UK get your cruise fare reduced if the price drops before final payment. However, if you were in a balcony cabin, for example, and an Aqua class room became available for £1+ more than your balcony then they would probably let you upgrade. So no money back but possibly the chance to get a better room for your £££.

Edited by chemmo

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, chemmo said:

In our experience, no you can’t in the UK get your cruise fare reduced if the price drops before final payment. However, if you were in a balcony cabin, for example, and an Aqua class room became available for £1+ more than your balcony then they would probably let you upgrade. So no money back but possibly the chance to get a better room for your £££.

Thanks. We were able to ages ago but you are talking in 2011 - 2013. We did upgrade last time on Edge but that was a special cruise and we'd be looking to save some money not spend more next time unless it was lots cheaper. 😉 

Ps it cost us over £900 to move to a SV cabin as the reviews on the IV cabins weren't brilliant at time. It was a great decision !

Edited by Presto2

6 minutes ago, chemmo said:

If you book in the UK , can you get a price reduction with other cruise lines ? 

54 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Having been fairly loyal to Celebrity in recent years I am uncertain about the policies of other cruise lines, hopefully someone else will be able to reply…

Posted (edited)

Just to add, typically when there are price reductions post final payment the disclaimer indicates that they are for new bookings only.  This is to avoid any repricing confusion.

Obviously with US bookings, favorable price changes can be captured prior to final payment and conversely, you are protected from price increases. (Refundable deposit bookings can do so anytime without penalty, NRD bookings can do so with a fee. You can also move a refundable deposit booking to a NRD booking at no penalty to capture any available savings just prior to final payment).

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Thanks. We were able to ages ago but you are talking in 2011 - 2013. We did upgrade last time on Edge but that was a special cruise and we'd be looking to save some money not spend more next time unless it was lots cheaper. 😉 

Ps it cost us over £900 to move to a SV cabin as the reviews on the IV cabins weren't brilliant at time. It was a great decision !

I think it is worthwhile just logging on every now and then and watching prices. Being ‘familiar’ with what benefits you could get in the next one/two categories up and if they possibly had any ‘value added’ to you is always worthwhile. Then, if you could ‘upgrade’ for a very minimal amount, you would find the decision easier…

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Not with PO if that helps

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

There was a time during "restart" bookings when Celebrity ran a "lowest price guarantee" deal.  There were circumstances as part of that deal where a cruise could be repriced after final, but any difference was credited as OBC, not refunded.  We had a B2B repriced 3 times, once after final.  Wound up with a crazy amount of OBC in the mid 4 figures (we had booked a RS).  But those days have long passed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Just to add, typically when there are price reductions post final payment the disclaimer indicates that they are for new bookings only.  This is to avoid any repricing confusion.

Obviously with US bookings, favorable price changes can be captured prior to final payment and conversely, you are protected from price increases. (Refundable deposit bookings can do so anytime without penalty, NRD bookings can do so with a fee. You can also move a refundable deposit booking to a NRD booking at no penalty to capture any available savings just prior to final payment).

We had a booking with a refundable deposit and tried to change it to non refundable before final payment.  We were not allowed to change.  The reason given was that our cabin category (CS) was sold out so there was no non-refundable fare avail to use for repricing.  

4 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We had a booking with a refundable deposit and tried to change it to non refundable before final payment.  We were not allowed to change.  The reason given was that our cabin category (CS) was sold out so there was no non-refundable fare avail to use for repricing.  

That would make sense as it would seem logical that there would have to be an active fare base available to confirm the adjustment.

Just now, leaveitallbehind said:

That would make sense as it would seem logical that there would have to be an active fare base available to confirm the adjustment.

True enough, but ... just because Celebrity doesn't have a fare up on their web page doesn't mean an agency out there doesn't still have cabins available at a price.  It's a bit annoying when that happens. 

I know of a cruise right now that has no Retreat cabins available on the Celebrity site - "Sold Out", but I also know of an agency that can and will sell you a suite for that cruise, and I'm sure there others that can do so as well.  So while there's technically no 'Celebrity published fare' with which to compare when this occurs, that's only a function of who is showing the cabin as available inventory.

In other words, "Sold Out" is a rather subjective phrase in this context.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, canderson said:

True enough, but ... just because Celebrity doesn't have a fare up on their web page doesn't mean an agency out there doesn't still have cabins available at a price.  It's a bit annoying when that happens. 

I know of a cruise right now that has no Retreat cabins available on the Celebrity site - "Sold Out", but I also know of an agency that can and will sell you a suite for that cruise, and I'm sure there others that can do so as well.  So while there's technically no 'Celebrity published fare' with which to compare when this occurs, that's only a function of who is showing the cabin as available inventory.

In other words, "Sold Out" is a rather subjective phrase in this context.

Likely that TA has that as part of a block or group booking that would not be visible to the general public through the cruise line website.  They may have access to it even though the cruise line has not released similar staterooms out of their inventory. 

It's also possible that the category is sold out other than any remaining block staterooms with the TA.  If unsold by a certain date they would be released back to the cruise line which can them open them back up for general bookings on their website.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Likely that TA has that as part of a block or group booking that would not be visible to the general public through the cruise line website.  They may have access to it even though the cruise line has not released similar staterooms out of their inventory.  

That's exactly what happens, though if unsold, the line may see that inventory again closer to sail date.  As I say, in this context, Sold Out doesn't mean unavailable, but does no good if trying to reprice.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Only option is to look at upgraded cabin categories and see if there is something you may desire which would not be much more than you have paid.  Most times they will let you upgrade after final payment as long as you are paying at least $1 more in fare.

I've done that a couple times.    The RS dropped to about $500 over the CS price I had booked. 

Edited by Jim_Iain