Back to Carnival - What will we notice?

We've sailed Carnival 10 times from the mid 80's when I was 25 years old to 2013 when I was in my 50's.  Always enjoyed it.   We even got married on a Carnival ship (In St. Thomas) in 1999.  

We took a break from cruising frm 2013 to 2018 and decided to try Celebrity thinking it was more suited to our older demographic.  After Covid we sailed again once on Celebrity and once on Virgin. 

Now I'm 65 and my wife and I still like to have fun.  We're sailing on Carnival Legend in September in the Med.for a 10 night cruise (balcony cabin) to celebrate our 25 year anniversary. 

From your recent experiences, what are the most noticable differences we will note after being away from Carnival for 11 years and experiencing other cruise lines in the interim?  (Guy's burgers and Red Frog was just introduced the last time we sailed so we've experienced that).

I'll report back after the cruise and let you know what we thought. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Do yourself a favor and don't visit this thread again. Otherwise, you will "notice" things you might not have noticed on your own. 

Edited by Joebucks
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

A few changed items that seem to get a lot of attention in addition to the no more tablecloths in MDR would be;

*once a day cabin service

*no more 24 hr pizza (closed for brief time during middle of night)

*bacon not available every day in buffet

*YTD requires you to book your table in the HUB app for the restaurant you want when it opens

*dress code in MDR nonexistent/ not enforced (especially during elegant night)

*appears to be less staff in MDR so service varies from slow to very slow

*MDR menu now on phone in HUB app

*when ordering in MDR you will need to give all course choices including dessert

*all Pepsi products in lieu of Coke

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I agree with @Drazil65 - but only a few of those actually bother me now. The reduced cabin service is definitely missed. And the MDR service definitely has gone down, IMO. It's a service issue in general, less staff, so they're overworked. And after taking a Viking cruise (which I realize is not in the same category as a Carnival one), it does make a difference to us. We had another Viking one scheduled for 2025, but they cancelled it due to repositioning of that ship. So we'll look again in the future.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kctwinmommy said:

I agree with @Drazil65 - but only a few of those actually bother me now. The reduced cabin service is definitely missed. And the MDR service definitely has gone down, IMO. It's a service issue in general, less staff, so they're overworked. And after taking a Viking cruise (which I realize is not in the same category as a Carnival one), it does make a difference to us. We had another Viking one scheduled for 2025, but they cancelled it due to repositioning of that ship. So we'll look again in the future.

Given that a Viking cruise can be 4 to 5 times the price of a Carnival cruise with a similar itinerary, I would hope that it would have better service.  🙂

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mfs2k said:

From your recent experiences, what are the most noticable differences we will note after being away from Carnival for 11 years and experiencing other cruise lines in the interim?  (Guy's burgers and Red Frog was just introduced the last time we sailed so we've experienced that).

Interesting question.

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Do yourself a favor and don't visit this thread again. Otherwise, you will "notice" things you might not have noticed on your own. 

There is a grain of truth to this comment.  There are undoubtedly a whole bunch of things that have improved in the Carnival experience compared with when you last cruised: Alchemy bar might be new to you; the food selection in the MDR and buffet has changed - some for the better, some not so much.

But some other things have changed that you might not be happy about, especially if you go looking for the issues.

I've never cruised anywhere but the Caribbean, so I have no idea how cruising in the Med factors into things, if at all.

:shrug:

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
spelling/grammar

1 hour ago, Drazil65 said:

A few changed items that seem to get a lot of attention in addition to the no more tablecloths in MDR would be;

*YTD requires you to book your table in the HUB app for the restaurant you want when it opens

*when ordering in MDR you will need to give all course choices including dessert

I'll be ok with once a day cabin service if I can get enough towels for twice a day showers. 

Do we have a choice?  Will they service the cabins in the evening when we are out for dinner, or only in the daytime? 

I'm not thrilled with the reduction is staffing in the MDR.  Hopefully it's not terribly noticable. We had a dedicated waiter and a busperson in the past.

What is the alternate way to seeing the menu if you don't have your phone with you?

I personally never ate pizza after 1am so i'll be ok with the pizza changes

Bacon will likely be missed. 

Dress code has been sliding since 9/11 and no one wanted to check bags anymore and cruises did away with mandatory formal nights.

I'm not a big coke drinker but i do like diet coke on occasion.  I'll live for 10 days with pepsi products.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I've never cruised anywhere but the Caribbean, so I have no idea how cruising in the Med factors into things, if at all.

same. Except I expect to be off the ship from about 8am to 4pm on 7 of 10 days. 

I would say the 3 most notable things for me is the increased reliance on your phone via the Hub App. While it is possible to 'survive' without it, that takes more work than most folks would consider. Second, the MDR staff is stretched more thinly than before. Third, stewards have greater responsibility so once a day service is standard.

BTW @mfs2k, the cruise you are taking is awesome but remember to pace yourself. No doubt it was the most arduous of any we have ever taken. Nothing comes close. We were exhausted by the end.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Do we have a choice?  Will they service the cabins in the evening when we are out for dinner, or only in the daytime? 

We always ask for evening service and haven't been denied. We've had a cabin steward not ask and do once during the day, but after asking them they were fine doing it in the evening. Now I don't wait for them to ask, I just tell them when we meet we prefer evening service. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mikayla73 said:

We always ask for evening service and haven't been denied. We've had a cabin steward not ask and do once during the day, but after asking them they were fine doing it in the evening. Now I don't wait for them to ask, I just tell them when we meet we prefer evening service. 

I seem to remember when they first went to once a day service they had a card or something where you could communicate a preference for daytime or evening, although I could be imagining that lol.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We are very ok with once a day cabin service and have always requested it even before the change happened.  We typically request cabin service for when we leave for dinner (we are early eaters and do YTD) and have never been refused.  You can actually ask for a paper menu in the dinning rooms, we have never had any server give us a hard time.  That being said, we probably only eat in the MDR twice during the cruise especially if we are on an excel ship with so many other venues to eat. 

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, nc762shooter said:

I seem to remember when they first went to once a day service they had a card or something where you could communicate a preference for daytime or evening, although I could be imagining that lol.

Yeah they used to have a card to fill out for everyone. Sometimes they gave it to me to fill out, other times they just did it when we were talking. It asked evening or morning, ice yes or no and maybe one or two other things. I don't remember exactly.

Though I haven't see any cards on any cruise for a while, not since pre-shutdown for sure. Now we just ask them when we talk to them. I suppose new cruisers wouldn't have any idea they could choose, unless they read it on here or some where similar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

I'll be ok with once a day cabin service if I can get enough towels for twice a day showers. 

Typically they would ask what time, but by default it has been evening vs morning.  Lately, they have committed to just getting it done.  So you may have a choice.  I am sure they can accommodate you with towels.

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

I'm not thrilled with the reduction is staffing in the MDR.  Hopefully it's not terribly noticable. We had a dedicated waiter and a busperson in the past.

You will have a head waiter and two assistants.  They will handle a couple extra tables.  While things have changed, the changes are minimal.  

What is the alternate way to seeing the menu if you don't have your phone with you?

They will give you a paper menu if requested.

I personally never ate pizza after 1am so i'll be ok with the pizza changes

Bacon will likely be missed. 

Dress code has been sliding since 9/11 and no one wanted to check bags anymore and cruises did away with mandatory formal nights.

You are correct, my view (as opposed to another who said that dress code was gone is different).  There certainly is one, although significantly relaxed.  Some will still dress up, others not so much.

I'm not a big coke drinker but i do like diet coke on occasion.  I'll live for 10 days with pepsi products.  

Some comments I have added into your post.  The addition to the hub APP is the biggest change,  You can embrace it or not, it is up to you.  If you so not take a set dining time, I would strongly recommend using it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nc762shooter said:

They did, but no longer do that.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mikayla73 said:

Yeah they used to have a card to fill out for everyone. Sometimes they gave it to me to fill out, other times they just did it when we were talking. It asked evening or morning, ice yes or no and maybe one or two other things. I don't remember exactly.

Though I haven't see any cards on any cruise for a while, not since pre-shutdown for sure. Now we just ask them when we talk to them. I suppose new cruisers wouldn't have any idea they could choose, unless they read it on here or some where similar.

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

They did, but no longer do that.

Glad to know I'm not crazy LOL.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

the cruise you are taking is awesome but remember to pace yourself. No doubt it was the most arduous of any we have ever taken. Nothing comes close. We were exhausted by the end.

Thank you.  We're expecting it. We have a few days we'll be taking a cab to a beach and hanging on a lounge chair. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drazil65 said:

Seemed good to me for anytime. I now push a button when I want to eat and it assigns a table lickety split. Way better than royal does it. A good thing.

Bacon is every other morning in the buffet. If you have time which you may not in the Mediterranean the Mdr has bacon when it's on bacon vacation in the buffet, not a good thing in my book, I like bacon and not having to remember if I had it the day before. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

NO tablecloths in the MDR (but Virgin does t have them either).  Except elegant night.  EM

What ship is this on? I haven't seen table cloth even on elegant night in few years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Last Nov. I think on Elation…I’ll be on Vista late Sept.  EM

Must be a dying breed. I have had none on Miracle, Pride, Panorama, and Splendor in modern times. The Spirit still has them every day for now because they have not replaced the cheap vinyl/plastic table tops. I am sure they will remedy that at the next dry dock in February and have none also.

59 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Is a cabin steward or room service server available by phone if we want ice in the afternoon? 

Absolutely. And requests for ice or extra towels or a robe is no problem and happily provided.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1