Drink Packages

Posted (edited)

Pretty difficult to answer with any objectivity as the prices can vary not only between cruise lines, but between ships and itineraries within a given cruise, and sales impact these packages frequently.  Each cruise line may vary the offerings as part of the fare, or separate, or as a promo.  Package offerings can vary as well. Too many variables IMO.

And what are you considering to be the top 4 or 5 cruise lines?  That, too, can vary depending whether you are thinking of mass market or premium lines, etc.  

I don't think this is going to be easy to answer other than by subjective opinion.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

On 8/1/2024 at 8:18 AM, Topdog52 said:

best drink package and price between the top 4 or 5 cruise lines?

I will kick the ball to start...  Don't know where you are from TopDog52 so that will impact pricing.

Viking - IMO good drinks package - Silver Spirits Beverage Package

$25 UDS per night

$34 CAD per night

Note, I am quoting per night not per day.

Also .... how much do you drink and what do you drink? 

My interpretation of reading the numerous threads covering drinks packages are that they are designed and priced for the cruise line to make money and not for the passenger to save it!

Bottom line for the OP.  You're gonna have to do your research for each line and itinerary you are interested in.  Pro tip:  Ensure you read the fine print.  For example:  NCL advertises a complimentary drink package with their "Free At Sea" promos BUT there is a gratuity charge that goes along with the package.  Still a good deal (in my opinion).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have done 30+ cruises - never bought a drink package. 
I think you must drink 6+ drinks per day to justify the price (might depend on cruise line) - I’m having 2 to 4 drinks per day.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, hallasm said:

I have done 30+ cruises - never bought a drink package. 
I think you must drink 6+ drinks per day to justify the price (might depend on cruise line) - I’m having 2 to 4 drinks per day.

Depends on the rules of the plan. On HAL, it's essentially 5 alcoholic beverages at full package prices...that is, for example, 5 $11 glasses of champagne. 

• Thanks 1

Also look closely because most of the premium to luxury lines include alcohol or at least wine and beer with meals.

Princess for instance has a "Princess Plus" package at $60 bucks a day (CDN) and this covers alcohol, but also gives you wifi, fitness classes, premium desserts, and a host of other perks.  Difficult to compare this cost that includes alcohol with other packages.

As @ColeThornton indicated, you really have to do your research and do the numbers.  

For us, with Viking Ocean now at $34 CAD pp per night, we don't drink $68 per day in alcohol especially when they include beer and wine at meals.  So, if we want a cocktail or a premium spirit or wine, we pay for it as we go and are ahead.  Way ahead.

We were tantalized and taken in by the drinks packages when we started cruising, but now we see that they are not for us.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Is there a sale on?

Don't think it is a sale, they have a package at $64.99 per day or $84.99 per day.  For the $64.99 this is liquor, crew appreciation, wifi, 2 casual dining reservations, fitness classes...  The $84.99 per day is much more.

You basically save over 50% from adding these amenities individually.  You add this when you book.

Sorry - rounded to 60 bucks, but it was $64.99

Edited by CDNPolar

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

Don't think it is a sale, they have a package at $64.99 per day or $84.99 per day.  For the $64.99 this is liquor, crew appreciation, wifi, 2 casual dining reservations, fitness classes...  The $84.99 per day is much more.

You basically save over 50% from adding these amenities individually.  You add this when you book.

Sorry - rounded to 60 bucks, but it was $64.99

Can't find anything like that for 64.99 CAD on the Princess site. 

9 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Can't find anything like that for 64.99 CAD on the Princess site. 

It is called Princess Plus and Princess Premiere and these are being actively sold now at the point of booking.

https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages?cid=pm_sea_bkws_ggl_cfl_com1_gen_rsa_princessplus&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwqre1BhAqEiwA7g9Qhj7DKSbH3NMKoRYfzI0-RcFbFUC6sN2O9Z9ANzTzjdXrb052Fh2z6RoC2G4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

These  prices are in USD, not CAD and the packages have been around for months.

Princess Plus costs 81 CAD per day.

Am I way off base and missing out on a fabulous deal?

Edited by d9704011

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

These  prices are in USD, not CAD and the packages have been around for months.

Princess Plus costs 81 CAD per day.

Am I way off base and missing out on a fabulous deal?

My rccl cruise on allure last year was 71 per day , but since I get 5 free drinks and suite happy hour I didn’t buy it . Celebrity bundles in packages, many suites give you package.

21 hours ago, hallasm said:

That's enough to be ahead with Princess. Some other lines do require more drinking than that from what I've seen when researching which line to use for our Panama Canal cruise.

The posts above are confusing to me and perhaps confusing the Plus fare with the Plus drinks package? The Plus fare is $60 pp per day USD and includes the Plus drinks package which is $64.99 pp per day. (Yes, they have the same name. Confusing.) But who would buy the standalone drinks package when you can get it for less with the Plus fare and the Plus fare also includes gratuities and wifi (internet)? It only makes sense if your cabinmate doesn't want the Plus fare since passengers one and two both have to buy it.

Which is something to look for when comparing packages. Especially if one pax drinks a lot and one doesn't. In our case, the Plus fare made more sense for me than for my husband since I was going to use some of the extras that he wouldn't. But if you add up both of what we'd do, I'd save more money than he would waste with Plus. Plus saved us a few hundred dollars over doing it a la carte. (But not with Premier which is still a deal for me but not even close for him.)

The "Best Drink Package", and is it worth it ?

For the bargain hunter, the best drink package allows them to drink their money's worth.

For the experienced traveler, the best drink package offers the most convenience and the best quality.

• Like 1