How about one more "LIVE" from Edge in Alaska? August 16 - 23. 2024

mac_tlc

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I tried for years to have a nice rooftop style garden with lush plants but it turns out that deer like such things as well...learned that the hard way 🤦🏻‍♀️.  Perhaps Celebrity would like my source for realistic fake plants as the Edge journeys back to Australia.  Sure fooled the deer!!!  and now I have a lush garden year round. 😎

great idea!  I finally succumbed to some high end silks.... Our dtr is not good with live plants,  and we usually  lose a few when we head to Fla for a few months...Now I have to put signs on the silks.." fake..do not water!" 

On the ship, however, the faux plants might turn a funny green color when exposed to bright sunshine.  Maybe live cacti would work okay..

We'll be on APEX in January.. so will see if they change anything there.

Edited by hcat

Posted (edited)

Good morning …. From here:

IMG_6797.jpeg

It’s a sea day today on our way to Ketchikan. 

Lots of discussion about dining times, are they set, is it all open seating etc. Well this card awaited us in our cabin:

IMG_6801.jpeg

Sounds like fixed assigned seating to me. There appeared to be two lines at the restaurant, at least at 5:30. One was for “any time” and the other was if you had an assigned table/time. Maybe it’s only a first night thing. Anyway, on to dinner.

If you have ever read a LIVE of of mine you know we like French Onion Soup. Everyone at the table had it it but I forgot to snap a picture. No worries, there will be more opportunities. I also had a Caesar Salad

IMG_6778.jpeg

Followed by the Pork Chop. It was very good, not dry at all. I was hungry so I did make one cut before remembering to snap a picture 😬.

IMG_6779.jpeg

Dessert was peach cheesecake, which was really just cheesecake with a little very mild peachy sauce on it.

More later on the rest of our evening.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Here are a few pictures of our Sunset Veranda:

IMG_6731.jpeg

IMG_6732.jpeg

IMG_6734.jpeg

IMG_6738.jpeg

IMG_6741.jpeg

And, of course, this little beauty::

IMG_6737.jpeg

And, as requested by @Stem to Stern, some with the balcony partition open:

IMG_6793.jpeg

IMG_6794.jpeg

And two more of our view just before bed last night:

IMG_6784.jpeg

IMG_6785.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

IMG_6797.jpeg

It’s a sea day today on our way to Ketchikan. 

Lots of discussion about dining times, are they set, is it all open seating etc. Well this card awaited us in our cabin:

IMG_6801.jpeg

Sounds like fixed assigned seating to me. There appeared to be two lines at the restaurant, at least at 5:30. One was for “any time” and the other was if you had an assigned table/time. Maybe it’s only a first night thing. Anyway, on to dinner.

If you have ever read a LIVE of of mine you know we like French Onion Soup. Everyone at the table had it it but I forgot to snap a picture. No worries, there will be more opportunities. I also had a Caesar Salad

IMG_6778.jpeg

Followed by the Pork Chop. It was very good, not dry at all. I was hungry so I did make one cut before remembering to snap a picture 😬.

IMG_6779.jpeg

Dessert was peach cheesecake, which was really just cheesecake with a little very mild peachy sauce on it.

More later on the rest of our evening.

mac_tlc

we could live with 5:30 every night in Cyprus  ( or Tuscan) on our APEX cruise     but wish we had more control over choices as we did initially! 

please let us know how this works out

pork chop looks great.. esp is not drued out!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

we could live with 5:30 every night in Cyprus  ( or Tuscan) on our APEX cruise     but wish we had more control over choices as we did initially! 

please let us know how this works out

pork chop looks great.. esp is not drued out!

The pork chop from Tuscan is a favorite.  We forego Luminae a few nights every cruise to get our favorites from other dining rooms. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

And, this picture in the hallway that, for some reason, reminded me of @Georgia_Peaches avatar.  🤔🤔

IMG_6802.jpeg

cute kitty.. great pics!   we enjoyed our SV accomodations..Will have one again  in January

4 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

Help this Alaska noob understand.  
Edge’s route is NOT via the Inside Passage, correct?  

Why?  Edge too large?

How are the seas?

Meanwhile Summit is taking the Inside route.

Would you agree with my presumption that a first-timer would want to experience the Inside Passage.

IMG_5391.thumb.jpeg.bfea7c441850bb59bfc9629f1a59d2b2.jpeg

Thanks for all the pics so far.  

The balcony dividers seem to allow the adjoining sunset verandahs to remain nicely semi-private.

I love the onion soup.😋

Do I spy another non-Retreat Bourbon and Peaches at the dinner table?🧐😋

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

It sails the Alaska inside passage. Your screenshot doesn't show the Alaska inside passage, it shows Vancouver Island and the Strait of Georgia. The passage is farther north.

image.png.0697d81c3d965e387a93b49b0f93c809.png

Edit: Unless you mean the strait? The Vancouver departures go through there, the Seattle ones do not.

Edited by snohorules
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

Why?  Edge too large?

How are the seas?

Would you agree with my presumption that a first-timer would want to experience the Inside Passage.

The balcony dividers seem to allow the adjoining sunset verandahs to remain nicely semi-private.

I love the onion soup.😋

I sailed once out of Vancouver and then Seattle both times late July. I don’t know if it was the route or if 8 years made a big difference environmentally (onboard naturalist said in 10 yrs the changes equal 1000yrs) but I felt the Seattle round trip was  less Alaska-like than my Vancouver round trip (fewer snow capped mountains, fewer icy waterfalls, etc.) I’d be curious what others think.  Loved Edge and because we flew on Southwest points, Vancouver would’ve been pricier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

Why?  Edge too large?

How are the seas?

I love the onion soup.😋

As previously stated, the Inside Passage is farther north than we are right now. 

The open balcony divider is very nice, you still have a lot of private space but can get to the balcony next door.

You win the “Where is the bourbon and peaches” prize! This one had a lot less peach. The one from the Sunset Bar was very Retreat-like! 

Today, the seas are smooth, It’s windy and a bit chilly out on deck.

mac_tlc

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, snohorules said:

Unless you mean the strait? The Vancouver departures go through there, the Seattle ones do not.

Thanks for setting me on the correct course.

I think it would be nice to go out of Vancouver now knowing what I have learned.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

I think it would be nice to go out of Vancouver now knowing what I have learned.

And if you’ve never been, Vancouver is a great city (and I am not a city person.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

I've never done it, but I've seen many people say they prefer the Vancouver departure over the Seattle because you spend less time out at sea and more time in interesting scenery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

So what are the ingredients in a non Retreat Bourbon and Peaches?

Bourbon and Peaches is a “signature” Luminae cocktail, Appropriately listed first on the menus. Outside of the Retreat area, you won’t see it on any drink menu. I really like them, so I ask the bartenders wherever I am to make one. Sometimes you get “that look”. Sometimes they do it well (Nikola at Sunset Bar yesterday), sometimes not so well (John at Cyprus last night). 

Here is the Luminae menu where it is listed:

IMG_5320.jpeg

At the Sunset Bar he used Jim Beam instead of Makers, a mis-step I am willing to overlook to get one 😂😂.

Since they don’t make very many outside of the Retreat, they sometimes struggle to get the mixture of the non-bourbon ingredients right.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 39august said:

Are all the Sunset Veranda cabins configured with the bed by the balcony?

No. Our son is in the cabin next to us and their bed is by the closet. Also, the headboard of both beds is on the same common wall. 

mac_tlc

Posted (edited)

When I heard last week that the current Beyond the Podium speaker(s) that had been on the Edge were leaving for a few weeks, I went to the app for our cruise… and no speakers were listed 😳😳😳. Even as recently as Thursday none were listed. However, when we received the Celebrity today for Day 2, they had three sessions listed for today 👏👏👏👏

That occupied most of our morning and early afternoon. 

IMG_6809.jpeg

IMG_6810.jpeg

IMG_6811.jpeg

They were very well attended, especially the one on the whales. 

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

And, this picture in the hallway that, for some reason, reminded me of @Georgia_Peaches avatar.  🤔🤔

IMG_6802.jpeg

Awe I don’t know which I love more, the sassy little kitty with her tongue out or the awesome pair of shoes!  I’m a sucker for both 😊

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

Here are a few pictures of our Sunset Veranda:

Has it been cool enough to sleep with the door open?  We did back in early June with temps dropping in the high 30’s and it was absolute bliss. Might just be my favorite thing about that cruise…besides the glacier and the train ride and the lumberjack show, and the, well you get the idea!  I’m so happy you’re enjoying your cruise!!  

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Has it been cool enough to sleep with the door open?  We did back in early June with temps dropping in the high 30’s and it was absolute bliss. Might just be my favorite thing about that cruise…besides the glacier and the train ride and the lumberjack show, and the, well you get the idea!  I’m so happy you’re enjoying your cruise!!  

Absolutely, in fact, we had the door open this afternoon for a quick nap and it was actually too chilly! 

Tomorrow’s forecast in Ketchikan is a high of 83😳😳😳😳

After that it gets decidedly more “Alaskan”, I.e. cool and rainy 

mac_tlc

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 39august said:

Are all the Sunset Veranda cabins configured with the bed by the balcony?

no.. we prefer bed by bath..gives a more spacious feel at the balc end..

• Like 1