? for Regular "Old" Cruisers Like Me!

susancruzs

Maybe I should post this after I get back from Emerald Oct. 17th cruise.  I haven't cruised since 2019, but have taken 32, most over 7 days, never liked short cruises, over half with Princess.

I'm in my upper 70s, travel alone, don't need specialty dining, trying Plus because I like special coffees, wine at lunch, dinner, Margaritas, drink a lot of water.  I know I can purchase water ahead of time, and coffee card is gone.  With prices for a glass of wine, coffees, trying Plus this cruise.

Where is Princess headed for those of us not in suites, reserve dining, meal charge venues, everything I read seems to be catering to a passenger different from me?  Yes, I know they are in business to make money, took my 1st Princess cruise in '86 so I've seen the changes, I get it.  I'm glad they brought back TD, I'm a set in my ways early diner.

There are many cabins that aren't suites, people that don't need or care to pay for extras, where is this all going, what direction is Princess headed, away from their loyal base or not?

• Like 2

Good question , I am in mid 70,s and Insulin Dependent Diabetic .

None of the packages are sadly anything I can enjoy enough to get my moneys worth.

I pay for my Coffee and one drink a day and order Water to the room .I still have a great time you will enjoy Emerald princess .

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I can't answer your questions regarding where Princess is going. I really don't worry about that. If they wind up in a place I don't like, I'll stop booking with them.

I can say that I am in a similar situation as you. This past winter I sailed on the sister ship, Ruby, for 24 days, b2b. I enjoyed it. It was my first post covid cruise. I had the plus fare and was very comfortable with it. For me it takes around 3 alcoholic beverages per day to break even. Most days I did consume three or four, way more than my one or two drinks a week at home. I no longer take Princess or private excursions. I may get off at ports and walk around some. For me it's the ship and just having all the services. Regular DR meals were fine. At the time I sailed Dine My Way was not working very well. The concept in my opinion was flawed. I hope their new three tier system will work better. I'm booked again this winter for 48 days b2b2b2b. It's my winter get-a-way.   

Edited by skynight
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I love the Emerald Princess.  My travel buddy was insulin dependent, among her other health issues.  She liked Princess for the frig in standard cabins plus the food way back when was a definite step up from NCL, RCI.

I may find out Plus isn't worth it for me, we'll see.  I like Vines, trying different wines with my lunch snack in the IC. 

Thanks for responding, good to know there are cruisers out there like me!

Edited by susancruzs
addition

4 minutes ago, skynight said:

At the time I sailed Dine My Way was not working very well. I hope their new three tier system will work better.

We just got off Princess with MTD. What is three tier system? 

• Like 1

I usually book standard and appreciate that princess still allows purchasing water and bringing soda on board. 
I expect the MDR will be less crowded and less noisy. It maybe even more difficult to get a specialty restaurant dining time we want. Casual restaurants will have line ups. Delivery will take longer. Line ups at bars. And the Crews are overworked even more.

If the drinking gets to be too much like the Carnival party ships, I’ll find a new vacation. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, elaine5 said:

We just got off Princess with MTD. What is three tier system? 

I was referring to the three choices which are available now for cruises I think beginning this fall, (1) standard early or late fixed seating, (2) reserve seating times for each day, made on the PC or app, which is kind of the Dine My Way concept, and walk in anytime. When Princess went to Dine My Way in my opinion it did not work very well. There was also a strong outcry for a return to a standard fixed seating option. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dog said:

I usually book standard and appreciate that princess still allows purchasing water and bringing soda on board. 
I expect the MDR will be less crowded and less noisy. It maybe even more difficult to get a specialty restaurant dining time we want. Casual restaurants will have line ups. Delivery will take longer. Line ups at bars. And the Crews are overworked even more.

If the drinking gets to be too much like the Carnival party ships, I’ll find a new vacation. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to find one of the MDRs on each ship converted to multiple specialty and casual dining venues to handle increased demand from Premier passengers. 

@susancruzs My opinion is Princess still has many choices in cabin categories. Albeit not exactly Solo friendly ; as other cruise lines give discounts. And there’s still many complimentary ( included);in your cruise fare dining venues. I think it’s all about more choice for passengers and of course if passengers are going to pay for it then of course they will still offer it. Each cruise line has its pros & cons.

Even though cruise prices have gone up in $ ,still seems to be a good value on Princess . Passenger count would prove that- keep hearing most cruises are sailing close to capacity or capacity recently.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for three tier description!

On the past 3 ships we have sailed since March, for MTD if your  "reservation" is same time each night, the maitre de asked if you'd like the same table after the 1st or 2nd night. Then it worked just like fixed dining (same table/same staff). You can also ask when you are seated if you can have that table for future nights. Last cruise they didn't have that specific table, but had one nearby. This we MUCH better than the "no reservations" line.

Because we then had a set table, if we were going to miss dinner, I let them know the night prior or at 5pm that day to release our table. They were very grateful. In return, when we wanted to dine later, due to a late port, they had a table waiting for us at 7:30 instead of 6pm without any wait in line. This was my experience on 3 ships sailing full. I found that a few kind words and consideration to the maître de went a long way.

We also find cruising to still be a very good value.

Edited by elaine5
  • Like 3

@elaine5 starting September 14,2024 the dining will be changing on all Princess ships except The Sun.

So…. Time will tell if the new reservable/ flexible dining room will adhere to having same wait staff and table available like you experienced.

Description does not indicate that.

From Princess website: choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand’s industry exclusive OceanNow location-based “anywhere” service. Booked guests will be able to use the app ahead of their voyage to opt for traditional seating in a dedicated dining room with the same waiter, same table and same time each night, or flexible dining, allowing them to enjoy dinner at any available time and table size of their choosing in either the Reservable or Open Seating dining rooms. 

Traditional dining seems to be 5 PM and 7:30 PM with a few variations.

The reservable (Flexible is Princesses new term) a.k.a. dine my way starts at 5 PM and there are slots available every 20 minutes.

Open seating (Princesses new term) AKA walk-in is just that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, susancruzs said:

Maybe I should post this after I get back from Emerald Oct. 17th cruise.  I haven't cruised since 2019, but have taken 32, most over 7 days, never liked short cruises, over half with Princess.

I'm in my upper 70s, travel alone, don't need specialty dining, trying Plus because I like special coffees, wine at lunch, dinner, Margaritas, drink a lot of water.  I know I can purchase water ahead of time, and coffee card is gone.  With prices for a glass of wine, coffees, trying Plus this cruise.

Where is Princess headed for those of us not in suites, reserve dining, meal charge venues, everything I read seems to be catering to a passenger different from me?  Yes, I know they are in business to make money, took my 1st Princess cruise in '86 so I've seen the changes, I get it.  I'm glad they brought back TD, I'm a set in my ways early diner.

There are many cabins that aren't suites, people that don't need or care to pay for extras, where is this all going, what direction is Princess headed, away from their loyal base or not?

I think the Emerald will be lovely. I think it’s the Royal class and bigger ships where people seem to go for bigger is better, more noise, more everything that will be the turn off for me. . 

I was so looking forward to the Emerald on the New England cruise but in 2025 it’s only the Majestic. We won’t be booking another Princess cruise until there is a grand class ship doing the itinerary we want. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BamaVol said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to find one of the MDRs on each ship converted to multiple specialty and casual dining venues to handle increased demand from Premier passengers. 

Then where do you put all 3 types of MDR dining ?  I book suites so I am guaranteed no wait dining. Also the ambiance of the MDR should not cost as much as Crown Grill

30 minutes ago, memoak said:

Then where do you put all 3 types of MDR dining ?  I book suites so I am guaranteed no wait dining. Also the ambiance of the MDR should not cost as much as Crown Grill

please link the 'guaranteed no wait'   and while you are at it from your previous postings about 'guaranteed' first night specialty dining in a suite ... Just wondering about the wording of 

"guaranteed"

and some have posted that in a suite, they wanted to change the SD from the first night to another night - do you think that may be a real possibility now?

now, what about priority bookings for the SD - still suites the first night or could that change also?

this unlimited is cray, cray

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, voljeep said:

please link the 'guaranteed no wait'   and while you are at it from your previous postings about 'guaranteed' first night specialty dining in a suite ... Just wondering about the wording of 

"guaranteed"

and some have posted that in a suite, they wanted to change the SD from the first night to another night - do you think that may be a real possibility now?

now, what about priority bookings for the SD - still suites the first night or could that change also?

this unlimited is cray, cray

I don’t believe they will be able to change the embarkation night dining cor suites without an uproar. We have never tried to move that dinner as Sabatini’s is our tradition on first night. We have paid for this privilege on cruises into 2026 and have the paperwork

to prove it. Kind of like the 360 free dinners they grandfathered those who had already booked and only charged the new bookings   I believe suites will always have privileges beyond those interiors regardless of packages 

Edited by memoak

3 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

@susancruzs My opinion is Princess still has many choices in cabin categories. Albeit not exactly Solo friendly ; as other cruise lines give discounts. And there’s still many complimentary ( included);in your cruise fare dining venues. I think it’s all about more choice for passengers and of course if passengers are going to pay for it then of course they will still offer it. Each cruise line has its pros & cons.

Even though cruise prices have gone up in $ ,still seems to be a good value on Princess . Passenger count would prove that- keep hearing most cruises are sailing close to capacity or capacity recently.

In my opinion yes, there are many choices in cabins.  The only comped dining now is buffet and MDR all others now have fees.  Lastly, if we keep filling the ships with passengers they can afford to raise prices and fees for things.  I am going on a ship in the fall.  The pricing dropped 4 times in approx. 3 months.  Gotta be cause no one was signing up.  Now it is just about a full ship.  I know for us future cruising with princess will largely depend on itineraries.

The base product is fine and, to some extent, subsidized by those purchasing all the extras that Princess is pushing.

I'm on Emerald now. It's well over 100% but you can still avoid crowds if you want and the MDRs appear to be running smoothly. It's a nice ship with a good crew.

Walkingsoon

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

My opinion is Princess still has many choices in cabin categories. Albeit not exactly Solo friendly ; as other cruise lines give discounts. And there’s still many complimentary ( included);in your cruise fare dining venues. I think it’s all about more choice for passengers and of course if passengers are going to pay for it then of course they will still offer it. Each cruise line has its pros & cons.

Boom!  Mic Drop!  This is it, plain and simple.  Where is Princess going?  It is trying to expand the Venn Diagram of guests it can capture.  Their offerings, prices and product is still pretty darn good for people who don't want to add on a blessed thing to the base fare.  If and when that changes, they are in trouble.  But they obviously want to capture another market segment which is the group who want an elevated experience beyond the base fare and who don't want a $3,000 bill waiting for them at the end of the cruise.  (I was going to say "slipped under their cabin door", but they no longer do that.)  They are competing with the MSC Yacht Club and Norwegian's "Haven" as well as all-inclusive lines such as Viking and Virgin.   So far, I have not seen the "base fare experience" slip.  It still is what it was.  Formal Nights with lobster. Nicely provisioned buffets.  International Cafe still included.  (OK.  The sporadic availability of the Fettuccini Alfredo is a problem.)  But otherwise, a 2024 cruise with the base fare inclusions looks pretty much like what a 2018 base fare cruise looked like, except for moving Alfredo's into the "extra payment" category.  Adding benefits for the people who want to pay for them does not seem to be significantly impairing the experience of the people who don't want to pay for them.  Let's hope it stays that way.

On the more morbid side, the sustainability team at corporate headquarters operates on the assumption that very few people who are 70+ are going to be booking cruises 15 years from now, so their goal is to capture the 35 year old and keep that person (and extended family) as loyal customers for the next 40 years.  If changes cause a 75 year-old to jump ship (literally), they aren't all that concerned as long as there is a young couple with a five year-old and two year-old who are going to take their place.  They obviously don't want to lose the 75 year-old's business, but they aren't going to move heaven and earth to keep it either.  Sad truth. 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@Knickearth depending on what ship you’re on there are places to get food for breakfast, lunch ,or dinner that are included in your cruise fare.Don’t forget the international café, the pizza/burger place up on the Lido deck outside ,afternoon tea,  a coffee and cones or swirls ice cream cone,and as you mentioned the main dining room and the buffet. 
I really don’t think anybody’s going to go hungry. Of course there are now paid venues that used to be complimentary ,( Vines, Alfredo’s/ Gigi’s) but that’s been a while now,perhaps a year. One does not have to partake in any of the paid venues if you don’t want to ,of course it’s a revenue stream for the cruise lines.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, susancruzs said:

Where is Princess headed for those of us not in suites, reserve dining, meal charge venues, everything I read seems to be catering to a passenger different from me? 

Princess obviously is no longer catering to people like you & me. They're after the younger cruiser who has a good job and money to burn on vacation. Sure they'll lose people along the way but in the distant future they'll have gained new clientele to fill in for us. 

1 hour ago, arizonaperson said:

@Knickearth depending on what ship you’re on there are places to get food for breakfast, lunch ,or dinner that are included in your cruise fare.Don’t forget the international café, the pizza/burger place up on the Lido deck outside ,afternoon tea,  a coffee and cones or swirls ice cream cone,and as you mentioned the main dining room and the buffet. 
I really don’t think anybody’s going to go hungry. Of course there are now paid venues that used to be complimentary ,( Vines, Alfredo’s/ Gigi’s) but that’s been a while now,perhaps a year. One does not have to partake in any of the paid venues if you don’t want to ,of course it’s a revenue stream for the cruise lines.

The only free food at Vines were the small tapas   When they went to the fill charcuterie board with crudités that is when the charge started. Different with the pizza places the food didn’t change but the price did. I do understand it though prior to a charge we were seeing 1 hour + wait times at them with tons of families ordering multiple pies and leaving half the slices to be thrown away 

Posted (edited)

Susan,  where is Princess right now??

You can certainly still cruise with the PLUS package.

It will include your special coffee drinks, juice, soda, etc...  alcohol up to the limit, which is $15.00 right now.  You will get two visits to the Casual Dining, like Alfredos, and the other Casual dining options onboard.   

Know that wine that is included with PLUS, well, it seems to leave wine drinkers with a lot to be desired.   I believe that you can order better wine, and you will be charged for the difference...  Just as you would be charged the difference, over the $15.00, for the better top shelf alcoholic beverages.

Of cours, this includes your gratuities, Wi-Fi, as well.

You would probably break even????

Edited by Wishing on a star

27 minutes ago, memoak said:

The only free food at Vines were the small tapas   When they went to the fill charcuterie board with crudités that is when the charge started. Different with the pizza places the food didn’t change but the price did. I do understand it though prior to a charge we were seeing 1 hour + wait times at them with tons of families ordering multiple pies and leaving half the slices to be thrown away 

When Alfredo's was free, my husband and I would split a pizza.

Now, if we have the Plus package, they're most likely going to force us to get two pizzas and leave half the slices on the table.

• Like 3