Alaska for the 1st time

Bracarense

Hello all.

Thinking of a cruise for next year we found out that Alaska would be a very interesting option for our family (2 adults + 1 14 yo).

We have done a few but Alaska sounds quite different from what we are used to.

Our month would be something from late June to early September.

We would be traveling from Europe and for the moment the main questions would be:

- port of calls not to miss

- "best" departure ports

- cruise ships most suitable (we have cruised RCCL, NCL, MSC and Costa so far)

- weather conditionants

Thank you all for your help.

1 hour ago, Bracarense said:

Hello all.

Thinking of a cruise for next year we found out that Alaska would be a very interesting option for our family (2 adults + 1 14 yo).

We would be traveling from Europe and for the moment the main questions would be:

- "best" departure ports

- weather conditionants

Our trip to Alaska was great .We went with HAL.It was a two week trip.The first 7 days we toured by land. with an HAL Guide.We toured by Bus and Train.The second 7 days was a cruise.

Our favorite activity was panning for gold.We also enjoyed touring Denali National Park and attending a Play with great Actors.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do.

• Thanks 2

MSC and Costa do not go to Alaska.  Most Alaska cruises leave from Seattle (USA) or Vancouver (Canada).  Cruises from Seattle are round trip.  Cruises from Vancouver are one way unless you do a B2B.  HAL, Princess, and NCL have the most permits for Glacier Bay.  There is a board here for Alaska, under Ports of Call.  You would do well to do a lot of reading there.  EM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 years ago we did a 2 week adventure in Alaska. The first week was a DIY land tour and the 2nd week was a cruise on Celebrity from Seward to Vancouver. I've been wanting to go back ever since! 

We didn't go to Glacier Bay, but went to Hubbard Glacier and it was spectacular.  I chose the Southbound route because it had the longest port times. Next time I go, I'll probably do the same thing except longer on the land portion so I can get further north to Fairbanks. Then the train to Seward and another Southbound cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am just finishing a cruise from San Francisco (booked it for the At Sea days).  Our ports were Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria BC Canada tomorrow.  All 3 Alaska ports were completely over-run.  Couldn't even stroll around with the crowds.  Just awful.  Juneau had 5 ships in town.  At least 3 in Skagway, maybe 4.  Word is that some ports will start limiting the number of ships ... but the cruiselines are making lots of money with their shore excursions, since things are so nuts on shore, so who knows.  Do careful research so your trip to this most glorious place is the best you can make it  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

If you go on an Alaskan cruise to actually see and experience Alaska, you won’t have a problem with port crowding. I’m confident in saying most cruisers just want to walk around the fake and manufactured port areas just to shop Diamonds International or a bunch of garbage souvenirs - or even worse, overcrowd a bar. Get out to actually see and experience the place and those crowds quickly disappear. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2024 at 11:34 AM, Bracarense said:

Hello all.

- "best" departure ports

- weather conditionants

You've gotten lots of good advise so far.  To answer your questions in order;

Not to miss ports-- I'd say if this is a "one and done" cruise for you, try to get to Glacier Bay.  I like Skagway for the Klondike Gold Rush history and the train.  You'll likely go to Juneau, so I'd say take a whale watch excursion and the Mendenhall Glacier.  I like to wander around the Ketchikan port area.  

Best departure ports-- I like Vancouver over Seattle.  You do the true inside passage steaming up the east side of Vancouver Island when you leave from Vancouver.  Not to catch Essiesmom out, but there are many one week round trip cruises out of Vancouver, not just one ways.  

Best ships-- if you want Glacier Bay, HAL and Princess are your best bets.  We've taken both, we liked both.   We also had a great time on Celebrity.  I think Viking does Alaska.  I've heard good things about Viking, but haven't tried them yet.  We tend to book last minute, and that doesn't seem to be possible with Viking.  

Weather-- It changes by the minute and is quite variable.  We've had 75F and clear skies in Ketchikan, where they measure their annual rainfall in feet not inches, to rain coming down sideways on a whale watch in Juneau, to sunny skies steaming out of Skagway only to run into a snow squall 5 minutes later.   Multiple layers are your friend in Alaska.  Along with a Gore-tex-type hooded jacket.  I'm also a Gore-tex hiking boot kind of guy, but others disagree.  I'd look at average temp charts for the time month you're planning the trip and pack accordingly.  It's pretty dependent on your tolerances.  60F is shorts weather for me in Minnesota.  My friends in Florida bundle up for 60F like I would for a December day.  You can always pick up a fleece jacket or vest while in port if you find you've under packed.   Then you'd have a useful souvenir to remember the trip by.  If you plan/pack with a cool, rainy autumn day in Northern Europe in mind, you'll probably be fine.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

We're seeing it as a "one time" opportunity as going from Europe to Alaska isn't that easy and the world still as a lot of places to look around.

So far and with your help we have an idea of must-do ports.

I guess that at each port we'll end doing excursions to explore the region.

Are Cruise Line shore excursions the option to go or local ones are safe to do.

We have done both, as the locals are usually a lot cheaper and as good as or even better but, the "miss all aboard" risk is always there - we only had one close call, but it was in the Mediterranean and I think it would be more manageable than in Alaska...

Local excursions and/or car rentals are far better than cruise line excursions.  Alaskan ports are very safe in this regard.  However, some excursions such as the train in Skagway are pretty much the same whether you book through the line or not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, port msp said:

You've gotten lots of good advise so far.  To answer your questions in order;

Not to miss ports-- I'd say if this is a "one and done" cruise for you, try to get to Glacier Bay.  I like Skagway for the Klondike Gold Rush history and the train.  You'll likely go to Juneau, so I'd say take a whale watch excursion and the Mendenhall Glacier.  I like to wander around the Ketchikan port area.  

Best departure ports-- I like Vancouver over Seattle.  You do the true inside passage steaming up the east side of Vancouver Island when you leave from Vancouver.  Not to catch Essiesmom out, but there are many one week round trip cruises out of Vancouver, not just one ways.  

Best ships-- if you want Glacier Bay, HAL and Princess are your best bets.  We've taken both, we liked both.   We also had a great time on Celebrity.  I think Viking does Alaska.  I've heard good things about Viking, but haven't tried them yet.  We tend to book last minute, and that doesn't seem to be possible with Viking.  

Weather-- It changes by the minute and is quite variable.  We've had 75F and clear skies in Ketchikan, where they measure their annual rainfall in feet not inches, to rain coming down sideways on a whale watch in Juneau, to sunny skies steaming out of Skagway only to run into a snow squall 5 minutes later.   Multiple layers are your friend in Alaska.  Along with a Gore-tex-type hooded jacket.  I'm also a Gore-tex hiking boot kind of guy, but others disagree.  I'd look at average temp charts for the time month you're planning the trip and pack accordingly.  It's pretty dependent on your tolerances.  60F is shorts weather for me in Minnesota.  My friends in Florida bundle up for 60F like I would for a December day.  You can always pick up a fleece jacket or vest while in port if you find you've under packed.   Then you'd have a useful souvenir to remember the trip by.  If you plan/pack with a cool, rainy autumn day in Northern Europe in mind, you'll probably be fine.  

Such excellent information and advice.  I grew up in Alexandria, and burst out laughing at your description of 60F attire.  We've had really nice weather for this entire cruise, sunny and 60-65F ... every time I see someone running around in shorts or a tank top I just KNOW they're from Minnesota!

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Bracarense said:

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

We're seeing it as a "one time" opportunity as going from Europe to Alaska isn't that easy and the world still as a lot of places to look around.

So far and with your help we have an idea of must-do ports.

I guess that at each port we'll end doing excursions to explore the region.

Are Cruise Line shore excursions the option to go or local ones are safe to do.

We have done both, as the locals are usually a lot cheaper and as good as or even better but, the "miss all aboard" risk is always there - we only had one close call, but it was in the Mediterranean and I think it would be more manageable than in Alaska...

We cruised as a one & done a couple of months back (from

Australia).

Princess Glacier Bay NP

Researching excursions did my head in.  So many options.  I was happy to do either cruise or private.  Found the pricing for the most popular excursions very similar whoever you booked with.  Private was good if you wanted to be in a smaller tour or if you needed a time that the ship couldn’t offer.

You pay in full at the time of booking any excursion.  I found that both Princess and private were happy to refund pretty promptly if you changed your mind - obviously as long as you do  it within their booking t & cs.  

Book as soon as you see an excursion you like.  The popular ones do sell out.

Just to give an idea of how we mixed it up;

Sitka - private small group tour - raptor centre/bear sanctuary/scenic lake viewpoint/walk through park t

we were 4, tour total on the tour was 10.

Junea - one  did the seaplane & lodge lunch through the ship tour

two did a private transfer to Mendhall Glacier

one  stayed on the ship and relaxed by the pool 

Skagway - we hired a car from Avis and drove up the Klondike Highway.  Booked months ahead, no deposit, paid on the day.  Visited the Suspension Bridge, stopped at all the lookouts and drove up to beautiful Emerald Lake.  Saw a bear on the side of the road on return drive to Skagway.

Ketichan - one did the Deadliest  Catch fisherman’s tour through the ship.

one did a kayaking tour through the ship.

two had a relaxed day shopping for souvenirs.

We flew into Vancouver because we can get a direct flight and it’s a great place for doing touring pre-cruise.

Our original plan was to fly to Anchorage, explore Alaska ourselves before joining a one-way cruise from Seward to Vancouver but the pandemic stopped that.

I instead we pre-toured Canada (better exchange rate) and then did a 8 night return cruise of Alaska from Vancouver. 

Lots of options. Enjoy the research.  Alaska is amazing.  Glacier Bay NP was the highlight for us.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2024 at 10:01 PM, jsn55 said:

I am just finishing a cruise from San Francisco (booked it for the At Sea days).  Our ports were Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria BC Canada tomorrow.  All 3 Alaska ports were completely over-run.  Couldn't even stroll around with the crowds.  Just awful.  Juneau had 5 ships in town.  At least 3 in Skagway, maybe 4.  Word is that some ports will start limiting the number of ships ... but the cruiselines are making lots of money with their shore excursions, since things are so nuts on shore, so who knows.  Do careful research so your trip to this most glorious place is the best you can make it  

This is what worries me.  I'm going in September and it's showing five ships in Juneau alone 

Yup, book those shore excursions!  Or go hiking, or ... anything except walking around Juneau (which is my first choice in any port).  The sled dogs are still a big treat for me, and I signed up for a salmon bake supper but chose to return to the ship.  BTW, the buffet on Crown Princess was fabulous, best buffet food I've ever had.  I was delighted to meet the Executive Chef and tell him so in person.  

A little bit different option would be to do the cruise portion but then land portion on your own.  Research the amount of time you would need to spend on the bus by doing the combo Land + Sea.  The reason I mention this is because you are coming a long way to "see" Alaska.  For the land portion and since you have a 14 year old, I would suggest renting an RV which is what many people do here.  Why do I say RV v rental car and accommodations?   With an RV you can go where you want, and when you want instead of being tied to a reservation.  Yes, it will take a bit more planning, but with some advice from locals, it will make the planning easier.  We are long time cruisers and sadly the mood for cruisers in port towns is beginning to wear on locals.  Alaska is probably the most popular cruise destination and you will see a number of ships in port.  You have to get away from the people when you are there.  As someone said, don't just walk around.  Go on an excursion with a local, rent a car, etc.  Do your research on each port once you decide on the itinerary.  If you decide to take my advice to do the land portion on your own, then you need to end your cruise in Seward or Whittier (Anchorage).  Go all in and make it a bucket list trip.    

• Thanks 1

Late June, July, August are best.  September is a bit late.  Remember the longest days will be June and gradually become shorter with much fewer daylight hours in September.  Seas may be rougher in September.  Plan activities for your port days.  Too many cruisers get off the ship with no plans and the towns can be very overcrowded.  Glacier Bay is amazing.  If you go to Hubbard Glacier plan to take the small boat excursion if it is offered.  If the Tracy Arm small boat excursion is offered in Juneau it is also worthwhile. 

Vancouver would give the best scenic cruising.  One way rather than round trip should give you better port times and a chance to see some of the interior of Alaska.

Princess might be the best choice for the 14 year old but Holland America also goes to Glacier Bay and has a Kids Club for teens who want to meet other teens.  

Maximize your daylight hours for more opportunities to see the best of Alaska.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2024 at 1:32 PM, olemissreb said:

11 years ago we did a 2 week adventure in Alaska. The first week was a DIY land tour and the 2nd week was a cruise on Celebrity from Seward to Vancouver. I've been wanting to go back ever since! 

We didn't go to Glacier Bay, but went to Hubbard Glacier and it was spectacular.  I chose the Southbound route because it had the longest port times. Next time I go, I'll probably do the same thing except longer on the land portion so I can get further north to Fairbanks. Then the train to Seward and another Southbound cruise.

We have done 6 or 7 AK cruises.  I am going to post a longer reply later but I would disagree w the comment on Hubbard versus Glacier Bay.  This is based on the thought that this will be your only AK cruise.  Okemissreb is correct that Hubbard is really spectacular and in some respects more spectacular than Glacier if the conditions are good and the captain can and is willing to get you close to the glacier.  The big issue is the word "if".  Sometimes the ice or weather conditions are such that they can't get very close and sometimes they can't get in at all.  If this occurs you have made a trip to AK and have not seen any glacier at all.  It would be interesting for the CC people to come back as to whether they got into Hubbard or not and how close they got.

You are almost 100% certain that you will get into Glacier Bay.  You will not get as close to the glaciers as Hubbard but you will see glaciers - many of them.  Also Glacier Bay is a really spectacular destination in itself and you will be in it for most of a day with a park ranger on board.  

Your best bet if you can find the right cruise is to find one that does both glaciers.  They you will have the for certain Glacier Bay and the hope you make it Hubbard.  There are cruises that do hit both.

You are aware I am sure that most of the lines that you mention and most of the lines that cruise AK do not have a license to even get into Glacier bay.  Whichever line you pick check the itinerary very very carefully.  Cruise lines are very good on AK cruises in making you think that you will be doing stuff that you will not be doing.  I am not saying that they will lie to you but they are very good at stretching the truth.  Also port times and port docking locations are very important in AK.  

Before you book and pay for a cruise come back to CC to tell us which cruise you are planning to book.  We will glad to make comments are you choice before you pay for it.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Thanks 1

If Icy Strait Point is on one of your possible cruises, I would suggest considering choosing that cruise.  It is a small walkable port that IMO, has a real Alaska vibe to it.  Also, if you do end up going there, book a whale watching tour with Glacier Winds Charter.  You will not be disappointed.

https://www.g-wind.com/

Depending upon your finances and your interests I am going to suggest an alternative to the monstrosity of the seas ships that you are probably looking at.  Of the many cruises we have done in AK the best 2 were a cruise on a ship that held 50 passengers.  We also did a cruise on a 200 passenger ship that was also wonderful.  My brother has done 2 cruises on small ships that according to him were also great and in fact the only 2 times he has been in AK was on small ships.  Check out this site - https://thepointsguy.com/cruise/small-ship-alaska-cruise/.  

The disadvantages of small ships are obvious and I don't have to tell you what they are.  I want to talk about the advantages of small ships.  Flexibility - if the ship is here and there is wildlife is over there the ship will go over there. The ships can get you into interesting small towns which are closer to the real AK as opposed to the big ship towns where a town of 2000 or 3000 people gets overrun with 15000 passengers off one of the big ship. 

Small ships get into places that the big ones can never get into.  They will get you closer to the glaciers or other sites.  If you can't get close enough with the ship they do many zodiak tours that get you even closer.  It is really neat sitting close to a glacier feeling the waves when a calving event occurs.  Then having another zodiak come to your zodiak to give you some hot chocolate or even spiked hot chocolate just in case you are getting a bit cold.  The zodiak rides and the hot chocolate is included in the cruise cost.

You get a full day in a port.  With a big ship you may get 1/2 day in a port because there are more ships than births so one ship gets the birth from 7:00 AM to 1:00 PM and then has to leave so another ship can have the birth from 2:00 PM to 10:00 PM.  The big ships may have to dock several miles out of town again because there is not enough birth space so you waste some of your half day in port getting to and from the ship.  The little one docks right in the center of town.

If you do monstrosity cruise you have to pay for all your excursions which are expensive.  All or almost all the excursions are free on a small ship cruise.  In many cases the small ships have an open bar.

I could continue but just think about ditching sharing your AK cruise with 5000 other passengers and looking at smaller ship.  They are a wonderful experience.

DON

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

If Icy Strait Point is on one of your possible cruises, I would suggest considering choosing that cruise.  It is a small walkable port that IMO, has a real Alaska vibe to it.  Also, if you do end up going there, book a whale watching tour with Glacier Winds Charter.  You will not be disappointed.

https://www.g-wind.com/

We did Glacier Winds and they were AWESOME! We started out near all the cruiseline excursion boats, but then left there to head out further and into what was actually part of Glacier Bay and saw a baby whale practicing his breaches. We were the only boat out there! My now ex caught 3 breaches from nose up to tail down on the camera.  And don't get me started on the homemade salmon dip as a snack!  Such a great excursion and totally worth every penny!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to reply differently than most because you've gotten a lot of good advice.  We're booked on the Celebrity Summit next June with our 14 year old granddaughter. This trip is for her because we've been on a NCL Alaska cruise plus a 62 day Alaska RV tour. But our granddaughter wants to live in Alaska after she graduates from veterinarian school. So, not sure about your 14 year old, but ours isn't interested in a party ship for teens. She is interested in the educational seminars for each port because she loves history and science. That's why we booked with Celebrity when people ask.  Also, we booked an aft cabin with a balcony so she can enjoy quiet time and see views port and starboard. Finally we booked the Gold Rush Cruisetour before boarding the Summit so she can experience Fairbanks, Denali and Anchorage.

Two "off the wall" ideas from someone who has recently cruised on an Inside Passage cruise with Celebrity and a 14 day RT Vancouver to Whittier cruise 

Another option is Cunard.  They go into a lot of smaller ports like Sitka and Haines and have a REAL 10 hour port day in Victoria, BC.  They also do Hubbard glacier and Glacier Bay.

Also, for the adventurous, there is the Alaskan Marine Ferry which goes from Bellingham, WA to Dutch Harbor, AK with a lot of stops.  Do realize that they have berths and a good restaurant.

Edited by jlawrence01