Favourite Speciality Restaurant Meal

Okay, we’re on FoS for a New Year’s cruise in a few months.  I’m generally a creature of habit and enjoy my fillet at Chops.  I’m interested in trying some new things, so I thought about soliciting others on what they real like, so I can narrow down my choices.  

So, what is your favourite meal in a specialty restaurant (which one) and what is so good about this choice?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Airbear232 said:

Okay, we’re on FoS for a New Year’s cruise in a few months.  I’m generally a creature of habit and enjoy my fillet at Chops.  I’m interested in trying some new things, so I thought about soliciting others on what they real like, so I can narrow down my choices.  

So, what is your favourite meal in a specialty restaurant (which one) and what is so good about this choice?

Thanks in advance!

I also am a big fan of Chops, and the filet mignon in particular.  Best option among the options, imho.  Playmakers has nice options for munchies, and as I recall that’s on FoS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HERDFAN said:

The veal osso bucco at Giovanni's.

This... or get filet there instead of at Chops plus all the Italian options and amazing desserts.

• Like 2

The filet at Chops is usually our favorite, but I have to agree that the filet at Giovanni’s on our last cruise was top notch and actually better! We also love Playmakers for a lunch or a mid day/ late night snack…my family loves the Campfire Cookie and Touchdown Sundae if you are looking for something sweet.

• Like 1

I like most steaks in chops and most dish’s in both Jamie’s and Giovanni’s, was disappointed on last visit to hibachi but on past always enjoyed it . I am one of the few who dislikes 150cp . ( we buy udp) 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

While not a full meal, that bread thing at 150 CP!

Just to clarify, the OP indicates their ship is FoS, which I would think is Freedom.  The only SR's on Freedom are Izumi/Hibachi, Chops Grille, Giovanni's Italian Kitchen, and I guess you would include Playmakers.  So while I agree with your comment regarding 150 CP, sadly, they won't be able to experience that - LOL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Just to clarify, the OP indicates their ship is FoS, which I would think is Freedom.

DOH! Completely missed that point.

17 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I always enjoy the Hibachi. It's a fun and entertaining way to enjoy a meal. 

I love Hibachi but my tummy has a mind of its own and doesn’t agree with me…..so none for me anymore unfortunately 🥲

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

For the main,  I would say the filet at Chops or Giovanni's.  I've tried the branzino and some other mains, but nothing has hit quite as well as the filet.  For a side, my favorite is the Mushroom soup at Chops.

For a fun experience the Hibachi at Izumi is fantastic.  The food is good but maybe not quite up to the culinary experience of Chops and Giovanni's.

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, dsvd79 said:

I agree the filet at Giovanni's is much better than Chops.  That is what I was going to post!

Yep, we've felt the filet at Giovanni's is better than Chops for years.  Doesn't really make sense why, but it seems to be true 🙂

• Like 3

21 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

This... or get filet there instead of at Chops plus all the Italian options and amazing desserts.

You prefer the sides at Giovanni’s?  Which ones?

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Personally I always add a side of pasta (selection will vary based on mood at the time).  They always bring a full plate for the table - sometimes two varieties if more than one of us get the steak.  End up with the best of both worlds.

But it comes with creamy mashed potatoes and broccoli.  The steaks at Chops are very good steak house cuts, but the filet at Giovanni's is finished with a nice wine sauce that sets it apart IMO.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

It's more like getting 2 entrees than sides, which I like b/c I eat a lot and don't consider a steak overly filling. I have tried the carbonara (a dish I love but mine was thick and not as good as I'm used to at Giovanni's Table, not sure if it was a fluke or not), my wife's alfredo which was good, and the Giovanni's pizza with spicy salami and ricotta which I enjoyed.

Sure, pizza and a steak/veal isn't exactly a normal pairing, lol, but that won't stop me from ordering it again.

My problem with GK is there's too much I want to order. The first time we went I tried some apps instead of pizza and they were good but the meat plank is similar to charcuterie I can get elsewhere (WJ, CL, etc.) and the calamari was kind of heavy b/c it's served in large pieces (almost like fries) instead of the usual rings so I switched to pizza next time (which is also heavy of course, but you can always take some of it to go).

My wife and I loved the chocolate ravioli and banana stromboli desserts as well. The tiramisu was good too.

Hope that helps. Food is of course subjective... just b/c I liked certain things doesn't mean you will. But if your main goal is to have a good filet, as you can tell from all the responses, I wouldn't hesitate to get it at GK and try whatever else looks good to you to go with it.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

It's more like getting 2 entrees than sides, which I like b/c I eat a lot and don't consider a steak overly filling. I have tried the carbonara (a dish I love but mine was thick and not as good as I'm used to at Giovanni's Table, not sure if it was a fluke or not), my wife's alfredo which was good, and the Giovanni's pizza with spicy salami and ricotta which I enjoyed.

Sure, pizza and a steak/veal isn't exactly a normal pairing, lol, but that won't stop me from ordering it again.

My problem with GK is there's too much I want to order. The first time we went I tried some apps instead of pizza and they were good but the meat plank is similar to charcuterie I can get elsewhere (WJ, CL, etc.) and the calamari was kind of heavy b/c it's served in large pieces (almost like fries) instead of the usual rings so I switched to pizza next time (which is also heavy of course, but you can always take some of it to go).

My wife and I loved the chocolate ravioli and banana stromboli desserts as well. The tiramisu was good too.

Hope that helps. Food is of course subjective... just b/c I liked certain things doesn't mean you will. But if your main goal is to have a good filet, as you can tell from all the responses, I wouldn't hesitate to get it at GK and try whatever else looks good to you to go with it.

You had me at chocolate ravioli, I'm gonna have to try that!

• Like 2