Embarkation Lunch - Steerage

4 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

Off on the Apex tomorrow, what's available for embarkation lunch for the masses, or should I just take some sandwiches with me 😄

In our experience the Buffet is no longer the bun fight it used to be when people used to settle with their hand luggage and not move until 1 pm when rooms were declared open.

Now guests can board and drop off their hand luggage most people don’t want to linger in the buffet. People seem to pop in grab a bite at some point but move off to explore, visit their muster station, enjoy their drinks package. 

Sincere best wishes for a wonderful cruise!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Trevor Fountain said:

Off on the Apex tomorrow, what's available for embarkation lunch for the masses, or should I just take some sandwiches with me 😄

You may find any sandwiches you try to bring aboard confiscated.  Depending on how they are packages, they may not be seen as prepared foods. 

The Ocean View Cafe and the Mast Grill are usually the two places you can find food on Embarkation Day unless you are in the Retreat or Concierge. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Also steerage passengers on most cruises , I usually stop at the Golden Arches or similar on the way port , while this sounds a bit crazy , it works.

I drop our carryon at the cabin and explore the ship until our cabin is ready.
Once ready , we wipe down our cabin with Clorox wipes and then unpack. 
Everyone has their own way, this works for us.

Edited by horseymike
Grammar
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

When was Steerage permitted to post here? 😉 This is an animated pic my butler took of the "little people's" embarkation lunch on our last embarkation day.  They also included some of the famous Michelin Star Mashed Potatoes.

Gruel GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

OIG.6Ykup1UpPRmhY8h0MePi.jpeg.a51d035814036cde5d0238ba701708b5.jpeg

Edited by Andy_P
  • Haha 3

Never been on the Apex, but our general procedure on X ships now is to drop by the room for our key, dump our carryons, and head up to the buffet. We generally aim for a 1pm board time, so the buffet is in full effect with many options, but I usually just first hit the pizza, then do a wander to see if anything else is jumping out at me.  I know, at 1:30 or so, that I just need something to tide me over until afternoon snack time and likely an early dinner. If the timing adds up, it is Happy Hour drinks for the sail-away.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, horseymike said:

Also steerage passengers on most cruises , I usually stop at the Golden Arches or similar on the way port , while this sounds a bit crazy , it works.

I drop our carryon at the cabin and explore the ship until our cabin is ready.
Once ready , we wipe down our cabin with Clorox wipes and then unpack. 
Everyone has their own way, this works for us.

Whilst we dine on board we do wipe everything down as part of our hygiene routine…Door handles and remote controls being my particular concern…

As you say we all have our own routines that suite. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Trevor Fountain said:

If you're willing to pay Le Grand Bistro is open for lunch, $30 per person + 20% gratuity.  It's a nice way to start the cruise in a nice calm, relaxed manner without the hustle and bustle of Oceanview Café on embarkation day.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, dreamer321 said:

If you're willing to pay Le Grand Bistro is open for lunch, $30 per person + 20% gratuity.  It's a nice way to start the cruise in a nice calm, relaxed manner without the hustle and bustle of Oceanview Café on embarkation day.

Concur!  LGB has the best lunch on board and IMO so worth the $.

11 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Also cafe al bacio had mini sandwiches and pastries which ended up being DHs steerage class lunch on Edge in July.  I was too excited to really bother to eat.

mmmm pastries for lunch.  Never thought of that!

• Haha 1

Just a suggestion - read about what steerage was like on the old ocean liners. Dark, usually unheated spaces near the water line, shared toilet accommodations that were not always on the same deck, dinner in shifts - by the way, steerage passengers had to cook their own meals and I have seen some reports where they were expected to provide at least some of their own food - limited access to the decks and confined to only one deck when access was given, etc.

The lowest grade Celebrity cabin is orders of magnitude better than the best steerage accommodations on an old ocean liner.

Yes, I know the term is used semi-tongue-in-cheek to indicate non-Retreat rooms, but the actual conditions were fairly brutal.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pattyj 1204 said:

Pabst Blue Ribbon beer was my Grandma's favorite bedtime beverage--she lived to 100years- she had one every night.  

I had kidney stones.  My doctor told me that I should drink a few beers everyday to help avoid them.   Took his advice.   Tried to have him write a prescription for the beer to have it covered by the drug plan.

I now have liver issues but no kidney stones. 😱🙄🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Haha 5