Upcoming cruise on the Jewel and I am AFRAID!

13 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

We loved the crew and the food on the Sun two years ago. We were in an aft Penthouse and a good portion of the aft of the ship had an odor of sewer, including inside of our stateroom at times, but that was the only negative we experienced. 

When we sailed Sun we too had sewage smell aft.  Even outside where we did muster.  Went away after first day.  Other thing is soot aft.  Both issues hit or miss here over the years for the Sun.

The Jewel is wonderful. The Haven is a lovely place to be. 

Please don’t go into the trip expecting problems. There will always be inconveniences but how you react makes the difference. 

bon voyage. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

My last NCL cruise was in 2022 on the Sun (or any cruise for that matter, we've been loyal to NCL since our first cruise). The ship was a little tired, but the food (even on the buffet!) and service were top-notch. I have the Jewel booked for 10/10/2024 (a 9-day end-of-season Alaska in 14008, a Haven 2-Bedroom Family Villa with Balcony), and after reading @YVRteacher 's recent trip report on the Jewel, I am absolutely terrified that we'll have a sub-par experience. I don't think we have entitled attitudes, just an expectation of the competent service we've received in the past.

Lately, we've always booked Haven so we'd have Concierge and Butler services and the nice breakfast/lunch venue. We really enjoy Cagney's, so we eat quite a few of our meals there. I'm getting the impression that those extras aren't as good as they once were. 

My husband has some health issues that limit his ability to roll with the frustrations, so I'm extra nervous. Nobody can change the way things are with the ship and NCL, I'm just expressing my anxiety. I've heard that Rumi, the GM returns to the Jewel on our sailing, so maybe I'm worrying for naught, but ugh....

There is no need to be terrified. One person's experience and what "bothers" them does not mean that you will have the exact same perspective and will pick on the exact same things. Don't go in and look for faults, enjoy your cruise. You are not sailing on a luxury cruise line, you are sailing on a mid-market cruise line. And that is where your expectations should be. 

We have sailed on cruises where we had a table in the dining room dedicated to us and available, exclusively for our use. Cruises where we were presented with the dinner menu at breakfast and if there was nothing to our liking, we could place that surf-and-turf order and have it ready when we showed up that evening. Cruises where the Maître D would go to the caviar locker and prepare a Beluga caviar appetizer on request. Where the Maître D would come tableside to prepare flaming desserts (yes real flames) or even cook us a meal on request. You would not see this on any of the main-stream, mid-market cruise lines. NCL, Royal, MSC, the Maître Ds can't even pour wine correctly.

We sail on NCL multiple times a year (both in the Haven and outside the Haven). We sail on other cruise lines multiple times a year (our next three cruises are in a Grande Suite on Royal,  Balcony Aurea room on MSC, Yacht Club on MSC). And guess, what,,,, they are all about the same. Yeah, out of the three (NCL, MSC, Royal), Royal Sky suites are nowhere close to the Haven or Yacht Club.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

When you go into something expecting problems....... their will be problems Lol

Not always. I'm a fatalist, which means I expect the worst to happen. What I wind up doing is making a Google Doc for each vacation and in the comments, I write down the possible things that can go wrong and what Plan B and C are or "pack such and such". I mark down any in network healthcare places and pharmacies in the ports on my Google Maps and save it all to offline in case I don't have any phone service. I note where the nearest hotels are that I have loyalty with, just in case I have to stay there. I bring any US embassy addresses for the ports. And of course I have travel insurance, which I tailor for the particular trip needs.

I consider that to be Productive Worry.

I go into every vacation expecting problems, but also having a plan for when problems occur. And then I am pleased when the problems don't happen and things go according to Plan A. 🙂

• Like 3

Most of us are experienced cruisers here so we know that every sailing of every cruise ship is a different and subjective experience for everyone.  4 months before I sailed Encore I watched a cruise vlog about long lines for drinks 10 people deep at all the bars.  Video footage proved their claim.  When I sailed Encore 4 months later I never saw a line at any bar all over the ship.  We can both take the same cruise and have different experiences let alone cruises that are weeks apart.  Crew changes, ships sailing near capacity, and other factors can impact your cruise.  A broken toilet would definitely impact everyone's cruise.  However the chances of a broken toilet on your cruise is fairly low.  Mixed drinks from different bars will always vary in quality and ingredients.  That is the same for land restaurants.  How many times have you went out to eat and had a drink and then ordered another and the second drink was far stronger or weaker than the first.  When I was in college and on a broke budget we would harass the bartenders at clubs because we found the drinks upstairs were far stronger than the woman who mixed them downstairs in the club.  Every bartender is different.  Some are a little heavy on the pour while others are not.  However every cruise line, every cruise ship, and every restaurant on planet earth has this same issue.  You dont tell a chef how to prepare a dish, you dont tell a dentist how to fix your tooth, you dont tell a police officer when to make an arrest and you DONT tell a bartender how to make a drink (unless its one of your own creation).  They are all trained mixologists like it or not.  Drinks will vary in strength and color from bar to bar and bartender to bartender.  Seafood dishes have been getting skimpy all over the place.  10 years ago people commented that the lobster bisque had only 1 or 2 pieces of lobster in it.  If you dont like the dish or its cold then send it back and go to another restaurant.  However you cant say there is nowhere to eat on a cruise ship.  That is ridiculous.

All I am saying is vacations and especially life have to be set with expectations.  Let me speak from experience.  I too have started cruises with something going wrong.  I can be a bit obsessive and suddenly any slight negative experience gets blown out of proportion in my head.  I too have been there.   But remember what we are complaining about on a luxury cruise ship is first world problems times ten.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

You could always do the Panama Canal February 6th cruise. I hear some celebrities will be on board.

OH! To have that kind of vacation time!!! Someday I'll find myself on that great passage, barring water levels making it no longer a possibility.

You need to go into this with an open mind. I did not read her review this time as I had read one last year where everything was wrong for her. So, please take everything with a grain of salt. Cruising is definitely different than pre covid but still lots of fun. I have done 10 since cruising restarted 3 years ago and have no complaints, 9 were on NCL and 1 18 day cruisetour with Princess. Go, have fun and make memories as that is the most important thing.

• Like 2

In fairness, what @YVRteacher had happen on the 2nd leg of her cruise was inexcusable.  But, it was in stark contrast to the first leg...same ship.

The total breakdown on the 2nd leg truly is mind boggling.  Certainly sounds like NCL was saying "we don't care"!  That's a perfect way to lose guests.

My guess is if Katy Byrd, VP Guest Services, got wind of it, someone, somewhere would no longer be employed by NCL.  When Managers DO NOT want to speak to guests, something is very wrong with management.

Overall, the cruises I've taken on NCL, while I could nit pic, were all good to excellent.  That included cruises on Epic, Jewel Class, Breakaway Class, Breakaway Plus Class and Prima Class.  The cabins ranged from Solo to Haven 2 BR Suites.  Itineraries ranged from Caribbean, to Bermuda, to Alaska, to New England/Canada, to Mexico, to the Mediterranean. I've sailed solo, with a SO, and with family. Point being, I've had a fair amount of experience with NCL...ranging from the Kevin O'Sheehan days to today.

I've sailed MSC, Royal, Celebrity, Carnival, HAL.  NCL still has the best mix of what I look for in a cruise.  It does not bother me whether they have hashbrowns.  It does not bother me if one liquor, wine, beer or another libation is or isn't still available. That's not why I cruise.  I cruise to relax, see cool places, meet great people.  NCL has all that covered.  And, they take care of me in the process.  Their fares are good to great (shopping a little helps).

All that said, if there's a good fare, for an itinerary that's interesting, on a ship I might like, I have no qualms about booking with another line.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@Ellis1138  I wouldn’t worry as much about the ship itself as I would about the ports.

End-of-season Alaska can have weather issues, attractions closed, souvenirs sold out, staff shortages because people have returned home by that point…it’s not like prime season Alaska.  Hopefully you’ve got your plan A/B/C for those kinds of issues.

We did a beginning of season Alaska, and ran into lots of those problems from the other side (supplies/staff not arrived yet, etc) and while we enjoyed our trip, for our next Alaska we’ve booked in June to hopefully avoid those issues.

39 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

@Ellis1138  I wouldn’t worry as much about the ship itself as I would about the ports.

End-of-season Alaska can have weather issues, attractions closed, souvenirs sold out, staff shortages because people have returned home by that point…it’s not like prime season Alaska.  Hopefully you’ve got your plan A/B/C for those kinds of issues.

We did a beginning of season Alaska, and ran into lots of those problems from the other side (supplies/staff not arrived yet, etc) and while we enjoyed our trip, for our next Alaska we’ve booked in June to hopefully avoid those issues.

For us, we've been on Alaska cruises multiple times, so are trying the end of season for the different experience so won't be upset by limited excursions. We'll just wander the towns. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

Not always. I'm a fatalist, which means I expect the worst to happen. What I wind up doing is making a Google Doc for each vacation and in the comments, I write down the possible things that can go wrong and what Plan B and C are or "pack such and such". I mark down any in network healthcare places and pharmacies in the ports on my Google Maps and save it all to offline in case I don't have any phone service. I note where the nearest hotels are that I have loyalty with, just in case I have to stay there. I bring any US embassy addresses for the ports. And of course I have travel insurance, which I tailor for the particular trip needs.

I go into every vacation expecting problems, but also having a plan for when problems occur. And then I am pleased when the problems don't happen and things go according to Plan A. 🙂

At 61 I'm too old with making plan A, B, C.... I have one plan and go for it Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

WOW!!    That is way too much work!!  I just make sure I have all my prescriptions in their original containers, have all my documents updated and head out.  I never worry about what may or may not happen on cruise or getting to or from a cruise.  At my age, if I am able to go on a cruise, that is a good thing.  The Jewel is one of my favorite ships even with all the staff changes. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bookbabe said:

I'm not the original poster. 

But I also do Plan A, B, C for ports based on which ones get skipped or might get skipped, etc.

I've enjoyed every cruise I've been on and will probably keep enjoying them. The planning is not really "work" for me, since my brain is going to go through all the thinking anyway. Even if I decide to be spontaneous, my brain wants to plan.

Edited to add a google doc I did for Pearl Harbor. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jc5ZkRQ_KXQ3ZHUW6e7_aJgub2x7Pu1FyJR0ekKrzYE/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Ellis1138
  • Like 2

Terrified? really?  seems completely over the top unreasonable emotional reaction.  Be an adult. 

EVERY thing you do that is dependent upon or happens amidst other people requires reasonable expectations.  This is NOT a private yacht with service staff there solely for your pleasure.  Until you can afford that experience you must temper your expectations. 

Expect to have a good time and you will - all I can say is geeze, chill.

Edited by erisajd
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

At 61 I'm too old with making plan A, B, C.... I have one plan and go for it Lol

With you on that.  This is the song I play on the way to the airport pre-cruise...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ellis1138 said:

I'm not the original poster. 

But I also do Plan A, B, C for ports based on which ones get skipped or might get skipped, etc.

I've enjoyed every cruise I've been on and will probably keep enjoying them. The planning is not really "work" for me, since my brain is going to go through all the thinking anyway. Even if I decide to be spontaneous, my brain wants to plan.

Edited to add a google doc I did for Pearl Harbor. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jc5ZkRQ_KXQ3ZHUW6e7_aJgub2x7Pu1FyJR0ekKrzYE/edit?usp=sharing

Wowza! That's a level of planning I don't think I'm capable of. I'm more a seat of the pants kind of guy, however I respect the work (is planning work or fun?). I'd say my style of planning, which is to read about anything and everything I can, is fun! Then, I know what's around.

You certainly ensure you don't miss anything the way you plan! I've definitely kicked myself for not having a written list before, but I haven't learned. I still just go with it. Worked well in Barcelona where we wandered and saw what I had researched! 

Respect to you and the planning you do!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bookbabe said:

Not by any master plan, but I ended up with both beginning and ending season Alaska cruises this year!

I was on the transpacific in April from Japan on the Jewel, so we didn't actually go the "regular" Alaska ports. I disembarked in Seward but quite a few passengers continued on to Vancouver on the regular Alaska route. We were supposed to stop in Dutch Harbor but because the immigration folks couldn't get there due to snow, we had to skip that port. But Seward was open and ready for the season!

I've done late season before - still have those $5 sweatshirts from 5 years ago...and lots of 1/2 price stuff from late September a couple of years ago. I'll be closing out the season on the Sun this year, Vancouver to Hawaii in October. Looking forward to seeing the fall landscape.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

My last NCL cruise was in 2022 on the Sun (or any cruise for that matter, we've been loyal to NCL since our first cruise). The ship was a little tired, but the food (even on the buffet!) and service were top-notch. I have the Jewel booked for 10/10/2024 (a 9-day end-of-season Alaska in 14008, a Haven 2-Bedroom Family Villa with Balcony), and after reading @YVRteacher 's recent trip report on the Jewel, I am absolutely terrified that we'll have a sub-par experience. I don't think we have entitled attitudes, just an expectation of the competent service we've received in the past.

Lately, we've always booked Haven so we'd have Concierge and Butler services and the nice breakfast/lunch venue. We really enjoy Cagney's, so we eat quite a few of our meals there. I'm getting the impression that those extras aren't as good as they once were. 

My husband has some health issues that limit his ability to roll with the frustrations, so I'm extra nervous. Nobody can change the way things are with the ship and NCL, I'm just expressing my anxiety. I've heard that Rumi, the GM returns to the Jewel on our sailing, so maybe I'm worrying for naught, but ugh....

Please don't be terrified! We just disembarked NCL Jewel August 5th after an amazing Alaska cruising experience. There were Nine of us in our party, ages 28 to 88. My husband, son and I were second timers on the Jewel (many years in between) and the rest of our party were first time cruisers. My husband and I are NCL Sapphire Latitudes, so we have been on a few other NCL cruises before this. We all had a wonderful time, good food and plenty of it and lots of great drinks with amazing service. The Jewel itself was in beautiful shape and our Two Bedroom Haven cabin 14506 was fresh looking and clean, fantastic Butler and Cabin Attendant. Pamela from Concierge was on top of everything for us and we saw her everywhere. Fresh coffee, hot tea, fruit and pastries were always available in the Haven common area early in the mornings before the rest of our group was ready to head to breakfast and that was nice. Breakfast in Moderno and Lunch in Cagney's was perfect for us, we enjoyed everything we were served. After coming aboard after our days in town we would meet up in the Great Outdoors for a drink and snacks. Evenings after dinner were spent mainly at Maltings because the booths available allowed a nice conversation pit situation for all of us. We all took in two of the stage shows, both of them with an acrobatic type of theme and enjoyed them both. All Nine of us are pretty easy going and really enjoyed our time aboard the Jewel, we all agreed that we want to go again soon. Be aware of the weather and dress appropriately. We had down coats with waterproof raincoats over plus hats and gloves and all were used during this trip. The Jewel is not NCL Prima or Escape, it is a smaller and older ship but we found her to be a great beauty anyway! Happy sailing!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My suggestion is to ignore the majority of the complaints, as each cruise is going to be different - and each person has their own tolerance level. Use the comments on CC to manage your expectations and pay attention to pathways suggested to resolve issues if you have any. Hint - the GM has way more power to resolve an issue than the person at guest services that tells you they can't help you.

• Like 1

9 days of not working

9 days of not making your bed

9 days of no cleaning

9 days of not cooking

9 days of sleeping in and doing what you want

Traveling to exotic places that most only dream about

Your biggest decision is to decide what restaurant to eat at each night

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I am on the same sailing as OP. Worried not because of the review mentioned, but only because it has been 21 years since I last cruised.

I know a lot has changed in the industry as a whole, so I am excited for this trip. 

Going solo and can’t wait for the experience.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PatFox said:

I am on the same sailing as OP. Worried not because of the review mentioned, but only because it has been 21 years since I last cruised.

I know a lot has changed in the industry as a whole, so I am excited for this trip. 

Going solo and can’t wait for the experience.  

Have you joined the roll call?