Do I need to sit and wait for my OceanNow order

4 minutes ago, Silverspringcruiser said:

With OceanNow is your location determined when you place your order, or when it's ready?  If the latter will I get an alert so I know to go where I want to eat?

I'm not 100% sure how it works, but I think drink orders are directed to a nearby bar.  So if you place an order while at the pool area, your drink would likely be made at one of the pool bars.  If you were to place that order and then go down to the Piazza on Deck 5, the person bringing you your drink would be picking it up at the pool bar and delivering it to you many decks away.  Not the best approach.  With food, it matters less because of the location of the galley that is preparing the food.  But still, I don't think I would want to make the servers' job any more difficult than it already is. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I'm not 100% sure how it works, but I think drink orders are directed to a nearby bar.  So if you place an order while at the pool area, your drink would likely be made at one of the pool bars.  If you were to place that order and then go down to the Piazza on Deck 5, the person bringing you your drink would be picking it up at the pool bar and delivering it to you many decks away.  Not the best approach.  With food, it matters less because of the location of the galley that is preparing the food.  But still, I don't think I would want to make the servers' job any more difficult than it already is. 

If you are on the pool area ii is much faster to walk up and grab the drink at the bar 

• Like 3

I recently read a Live Report here that said you should be prepared to stay put for 30 minutes to get your order.... and if you're in the Piazza, be prepared to look for the crew member carrying a tray looking confused! 😆

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Silverspringcruiser said:

With OceanNow is your location determined when you place your order, or when it's ready?  If the latter will I get an alert so I know to go where I want to eat?

In my experience, they will track you down with your order. But how hard do you want to make their lives? We waited over two hours and then gave up and went to the buffet. They found us there, just as we were finishing eating. So, about 2 1/2 hours from time of order. I don't really feel bad about giving up on the order.

• Like 3

I placed an order on a recent cruise while on one of the upper decks. Like the fool I can sometimes be, I went to our cabin for something I'd left behind after placing the order. While I was still in our cabin, there came a knock on the door. It was my Ocean Now order. 

Only then did I realize my medallion was still firmly attached to my wrist. 

From that time forward whenever I needed to leave before the order arrives, I leave my medallion with my wife. 

So no, definitely NOT one's location when ordering. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

I placed an order on a recent cruise while on one of the upper decks. Like the fool I can sometimes be, I went to our cabin for something I'd left behind after placing the order. While I was still in our cabin, there came a knock on the door. It was my Ocean Now order. 

From that time forward whenever I needed to leave before the order arrives, I leave my medallion with my wife. 

I now have this funny image in my head of a person running around the jogging track and a server with a tray feverishly running behind with a drink. 

Waiter running hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, memoak said:

If you are on the pool area ii is much faster to walk up and grab the drink at the bar 

In theory.  But if the order is for 4 drinks, then multiple people have to go to the bar to carry them back, or one waiter can bring all 4 drinks to the guests. In most instances, time is not of the essence.  One learns the cadence of ordering with the Ocean Now after a while. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silverspringcruiser said:

you choose the delivery destination when you place an order: your location at the time of delivery or your cabin. At least that's how it worked on Enchanted in June.

Not without glitches... On one of the days I could not place a drink order for delivery while I was at the buffet. The medallion showed me inside the bathroom on deck 5 near the plaza, and it was deemed an unsuitable delivery location. It stayed like that for at least a couple of hours. I had to go to the nearest bar and order my drinks there in person, like a peasant. /s

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

In my experience, they will track you down with your order. But how hard do you want to make their lives? We waited over two hours and then gave up and went to the buffet. They found us there, just as we were finishing eating. So, about 2 1/2 hours from time of order. I don't really feel bad about giving up on the order.

No food is worth waiting two hours for, especially when there's instant gratification elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

you choose the delivery destination when you place an order: your location at the time of delivery or your cabin. At least that's how it worked on Enchanted in June.

Not without glitches... On one of the days I could not place a drink order for delivery while I was at the buffet. The medallion showed me inside the bathroom on deck 5 near the plaza, and it was deemed an unsuitable delivery location. It stayed like that for at least a couple of hours. I had to go to the nearest bar and order my drinks there in person, like a peasant. /s

I am glad to be a peasant   When we are in the buffet we order drinks from the buffet servers. 

Edited by memoak

Once an order is placed, OceanNow has a status bar that shows the progress of the order.  It ranges from Order Received, Preparing, to Delivered.  Many times the order will show Delivered despite you being empty handed.  Sometimes it shows up shortly after; many times it doesn’t show up at all.  

2 hours ago, memoak said:

I am glad to be a peasant   When we are in the buffet we order drinks from the buffet servers. 

that particular morning there weren't any around, which was very unusual. I finally found a manager and asked him to take my order instead.

4 hours ago, Bgwest said:

I've had the total opposite. Ordered at a hot tub and my wife got a knock at the door and my beers had arrived at our cabin. My medallion was with me on deck.

5 hours ago, Bgwest said:

If you leave your medallion with your wife when you return to your cabin, how do you get into your cabin?

• Like 3

We have been on a few Medallion cruises in last couple of years.  First cruise with Medallion we ordered food and  a drink together.  Order showed up 35 minutes later.  We mentioned the wait to the server and a few minutes later a service manager showed up at our lounger.  He explained if you just order a drink, the order goes to the nearest bar and you should have your drink in a few minutes.  If your order includes food and a drink, the entire order comes from the galley.  So if you are on a top deck, he said their turn around time is usually 30 minutes +/-.  So best to order food and drinks separately. 

Our experience for drink orders, is it is much quicker to order from the bar and not through the Medallion.  If you do a Medallion order, the order goes to the bar and a machine prints out the your order.  Even if it is not very busy there is usually a few print out orders waiting to be completed.  However, if you order at the bar, the bartender will complete the order he/she is working on and then serve you, even though there are a few Medallion print out orders that arrived before you. 

After our first Medallion cruise, we have not bothered to use the Medallion to order.  It is a great concept in theory, but not in practice. 

But to answer the OP's question, your order will follow you.  But if you are on an outside deck, the server will know your general location but may have to circle a while to find you. 

On my 2019 cruise, I tried to order a drink, my phone showed cabin location, I switched to my iPad and it showed at Princess Live location. I used my IPad at Princess Live.  I never received the drink after a 45 wait, my Ipad kept showing Being Prepared.  We left and my drink had been sitting at the bar the whole time.  I took a sip and handed it back as it was by that time had been water down with the melting ice and got a new drink.

Edited by phabric

We order from OceanNow quite often.  Please order where you wish to eat so they don’t have to look around for you.  We’ve seen it before and they may end up having to deliver it to your cabin.  
I have seen others state they’ve waited forever but that hasn’t been our experience.  I don’t think I’ve ever had an order take over 40 minutes.  I think that’s reasonable.  I don’t tend to order drinks over the app, though, only food.  

14 hours ago, Yehootu said:

I've had the total opposite. Ordered at a hot tub and my wife got a knock at the door and my beers had arrived at our cabin. My medallion was with me on deck.

I’d wager the order was keyed to her medallion rather than yours. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We order from OceanNow quite often.  Please order where you wish to eat so they don’t have to look around for you.  We’ve seen it before and they may end up having to deliver it to your cabin.  
I have seen others state they’ve waited forever but that hasn’t been our experience.  I don’t think I’ve ever had an order take over 40 minutes.  I think that’s reasonable.  I don’t tend to order drinks over the app, though, only food.  

If I am hungry I don’t think I would want to wait 49 minutes for some food. There are lots of places I can walk up and get some food   Also super easy to walk up to a bar for a drink

18 minutes ago, memoak said:

If I am hungry I don’t think I would want to wait 49 minutes for some food. There are lots of places I can walk up and get some food   Also super easy to walk up to a bar for a drink

Depends on if you’re hungry or if you have a hankering for something specific. I ordered a chicken salad croissant via Ocean Now to be delivered poolside vs going down 7 decks to the IC. If I was just hungry, the grill was closer. But I couldn’t get chicken salad off my mind. 

I’m ending my 24-hour Covid isolation aboard the Emerald Princess in Quebec City today.  I have ordered multiple meals via Ocean Now, and they were delivered in less than 30 minutes to my cabin.  The app shows the progress of the order received, the meal created, the meal dispatched, and the meal delivered.  

I have great respect for the servers, and would never play a game of “Hide and Seek” with them.  That would be rude and disrespectful.  Sit your butt down and have some patience.  You are on a Princess Cruise — it’s not like you’re missing out on anything important if your meal or drink is late.  I cruise to relax, not to create havoc. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bgwest said:

I’d wager the order was keyed to her medallion rather than yours. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I would've loved that as she doesn't drink much and orders a daily 8 beers and water to our cabin for the fridge. 😀. I was charged. On the Royal, one and done, not again.