Grandeur Illness

PSDan

The unfortunate reality of cruising in 2024. 

•  

We first noticed the problem within 24 hours of boarding the magnificent Regent Seven Seas Grandeur on August 24, 2024.  One day into the 16 day trans-Atlantic voyage from Barcelona to New York City, my partner and I commented “There sure are a lot of sick people on this ship.”

During the six weeks we were traveling around Europe prior to beginning the cruise, we had read and seen the daily news reports from the United States indicating that Covid was making a big comeback and levels of the infection were the highest in two years. We weren’t worried because we were up to date with vaccinations and brought test kits and Paxlovid with us, just as a precaution.  Fortunately, we traveled throughout Europe happy and healthy.

So seeing the level of obvious illness on the ship was disturbing.  The ship echoed with a constant cacophony of coughing, sneezing, and hacking yet there was almost zero masking.  

In La Veranda buffet, I witnessed a passenger sneeze into her hand then pick up the tongs to load lettuce onto her plate then wade through the salad bar using the same hand to add tomatoes, onions, etc (I moved on to another salad bar outside but thought how others would likely now fall ill because of her inconsideration).  

In the library, a woman sat in a corner loudly coughing and sneezing about every 15 seconds, no mask, likely spreading whatever she had to others in the close quarters.  I thought her cabin mate probably told her she was so sick to get out of the stateroom and go somewhere else.

By day three, the ship made an announcement that passengers must increase hand washing and begin masking if they were ill.  Masking increased somewhat, but by then, it was too late.

On previous cruises we have taken (this is our 35th cruise), cruise lines like Celebrity and Crystal have implemented urgent safety measures including no more self service at buffets and in some cases, mandatory masking when illness became apparent.  But that was not the case on this Regent cruise.  While the Captain made the decision to scrub one port stop in The Azores because unfavorable winds made docking difficult (all done for “the safety of passengers and crew”), no such safety measures were implemented to address the levels of illness on the ship.

Sure enough, on the tenth day of the cruise, I caught a very mild cold.  Unfortunately, the suitcase I had which contained cold medicine (and Paxlovid) was stolen while in Barcelona so I couldn’t self medicate. Being in the middle of four days at sea and unable to visit a drug store, I made the mistake of going to the ship clinic (and yes, I was masked).  There, I tested positive for Covid.  The doctor said I was the fourth person he was treating at the time for Covid, but added there were indeed a lot of sicker people on board who would not come to the clinic and there was nothing they could do to adequately track the rate of illness on board.

As with my prior bout with Covid, Paxlovid knocked it down quickly and within two days I was 100% back to normal.  All symptoms are gone.  But the impact lingers.  I am now quarantined in my stateroom for the remainder of the cruise.  Twice a day, I get a phone call making sure I am abiding by the quarantine.  When I asked if I could at least walk up the stairs to the top deck (masked) and get some exercise walking in the open air, I was told absolutely not, and they would know if I did. When I pointed out that their regulations do not match those that the CDC issued in March of this year, their reaction was that they don’t go by the CDC rules, they have their own. 

I have trip insurance that would reimburse me should I need to leave the ship, so I asked the doctor if he would authorize me to get off at the next stop in Portland, Maine. He said no, I needed to stay on board (without a doctor order, the insurance will not pay).

My partner is fine and is able to continue all activities including shore tours, etc.  As a courtesy to others, he is now masking.  Coming back from a tour yesterday, he again commented on the  obvious illness which has only increased among passengers.  While they remain ill and going about their cruise, the conscientious passengers (some may call them stupid) who went to the clinic are treated like lepers in their own private leper colony.

Cruise lines are understandably scared of losing passengers as it decimated the industry during the Covid shutdown.  A mere hint of illness onboard sends shudders throughout the industry to the point that it seems best to ignore the issue rather than acknowledge it.  And that attitude has perhaps lead to the current situation here on Regent.

Had Regent and its parent company NCL taken steps to better safeguard their passengers (as Celebrity and Crystal did on previous cruises) early in the cruise, many of us on board would not be in the situation we are, spending thousands of dollars to be confined to a floating bedroom 24 hours a day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like they’re getting more restrictive with quarantine. When I got Covid in 2022 they put me on Paxlovid and quarantined me for five days then when I tested negative the let me re join the general population. Assuming you test positive I’m surprised they are keeping you in your room the whole time. 

It’s a major bummer that your Paxlovid was stolen. I never leave home without it but now I get to worry about theft. 

I travel a lot so my doctor provides me with any prescriptions I may need in case of an emergency, especially in a foreign country where certain meds may not be available.  

• Like 1

We travel with a supply of Paxlovid as well.  but remember, not all coughing is covid.  My husband has had a cough and congestion for the past month.  All covid tests (he has done several, flu test, RSV test negative.  No diagnosis-he just coughs.  I don't think he is contagious because I am fine, though he has had covid 3 times in the past and I have never had it despite living in the same house and sharing same bed (though I did distance myself when he was actually diagnosed with covid, but clearly would have been exposed before he was diagnosed).

It is unfortunate that Regent doesn't follow the CDC guidelines.  If you are recovered, you should be able to go about your regular cruise activity.  Probably the reason more people don't go see the doctor is because they are afraid of being quarantined. 

• Like 3

What CDC regulations are currently in effect for cruise ships? I know there are some CDC suggestions/recommendations for individuals but I don't know how these would be enforceable without mandatory testing. I don't think any cruise ship has had mandatory masking in a long time either. The harsh reality is that Covid and other viruses and respiratory ailments are part of life and people don't use good hygiene...both the sick and the people who become sick. 

• Like 1

I tested positive for COVID (my first time ever!) in July, three days after returning from our Iceland cruise aboard Splendor. I don't blame Regent. I blame the horses' asses who were coughing and hacking everywhere from the lounges to the restaurants to the tour buses who selfishly didn't bother to stay away from people or wear masks, endangering passengers and crew alike. They're probably the ones who don't believe in the science of how infections spread. Thanks a lot, jerks. 

• Like 7

DW and I had covid on a 2022 cruise, was quarantined for 5 days (and then rejoined the general population); was given Paxlovid as well. On that cruise, and a subsequent cruise - the ship identified presence of "intestinal illness" and did in fact close self-service and took several other precautions.  This lasted about 3 days.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/covid-us-largest-summer-wave-cdc-high-transmission-rcna165765

Apparently, the world (including the U.S.) is now going through a summer '24 period of increased cases of Covid.  It would be very unlikely/impossible that cruise ships would not also be negatively impacted by this same increase in summer cases.  Many folks (probably those who don't cruise) enjoy derisively attaching the moniker of "Floating Petri Dishes" to the cruise industry, and to those of us who enjoy the cruising experience.  Regards.

@PcardadUsing good simple hygiene and being considerate of other passengers would go a long way to keeping everyone safe. If you don’t feel well, don’t share your germs with your fellow passengers. I know you’ve paid tons of money for your cruise, but that doesn’t allow you to infect others. Mask up and wash your hands!

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, briar14 said:

@PcardadUsing good simple hygiene and being considerate of other passengers would go a long way to keeping everyone safe. If you don’t feel well, don’t share your germs with your fellow passengers. I know you’ve paid tons of money for your cruise, but that doesn’t allow you to infect others. Mask up and wash your hands!

I agree absolutely.

• Like 3

We are on the next Grandeur sailing, so you have me worried! I double checked our travel insurance (through Chase Sapphire card) and quarantine at a physician’s direction is grounds for a claim. 

5 minutes ago, MarkSC10 said:

We are on the next Grandeur sailing, so you have me worried! I double checked our travel insurance (through Chase Sapphire card) and quarantine at a physician’s direction is grounds for a claim. 

It’s OK to check your travel insurance but better to wash your hands, mask if you’re not feeling well, and/or stay in your suite until you’re feeling better. Please don’t ruin other passengers’ trips.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, MarkSC10 said:

I’m less worried about a claim than about my (and others’) health. 

• Like 1

I was on one of the Regent ships in July (prefer not to say which one).  I had cold symptoms and having brought my own COVID tests, I self tested and was positive.  I called the medical center to ask about next steps.  I felt that they were discouraging me from self reporting.  They indicate that if I came to the medical center and tested positive, I would be quarantined.  But, if I did not come down, there was nothing they would do (after I had already admitted to testing positive).  I did go for the more extensive test anyway and was quarantined for five days.  Yet my neighbor, who called his mother each day to give a full report of his excursions, complained about his “sinus condition” and tiredness, but went about his daily activities.  Can’t say whether he masked or not - I was locked down.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Trunkabella said:

I was on one of the Regent ships in July (prefer not to say which one). 

Back in July you did report from a Regent ship and did mention the ship's name.  😀

My wife also came down with a cough onboard this summer (as did half the ship) and she went to doctor and tested negative for RSV, flu, and COVID but still self isolated in cabin; thank god for great room service.  

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 6

This is the unfortunate reality of world travel.  In 2022 on a river cruise from Budapest to Prague on Uniworld (ship had 110 passengers), our group of 12 people had seven of us with COVID by the time we got to Prague. 

On Splendor last month from 7/25-8/12, there was coughing and hacking on the ship and busses to shore excursions.  I guess the only saving grace is today COVID makes people uncomfortable for a couple of days but is very rarely deadly, unlike back in 2020. 

As for taking drugs with you as a precaution, many of us (including most prominently those on blood thinners) cannot take Paxlovid.   

56 minutes ago, Bruce61 said:

This is the unfortunate reality of world travel.  In 2022 on a river cruise from Budapest to Prague on Uniworld (ship had 110 passengers), our group of 12 people had seven of us with COVID by the time we got to Prague. 

On Splendor last month from 7/25-8/12, there was coughing and hacking on the ship and busses to shore excursions.  I guess the only saving grace is today COVID makes people uncomfortable for a couple of days but is very rarely deadly, unlike back in 2020. 

As for taking drugs with you as a precaution, many of us (including most prominently those on blood thinners) cannot take Paxlovid.   

Yes, I asked if I could take plaxlovid if I got Covid ( we have some) because I’m on heart meds and blood thinner that I was not on last cruise.  No way was response.  Luckily I just got back and no Covid so far…just bad jet lag I can’t get over. 

• Like 2

On 9/6/2024 at 10:23 AM, RachelG said:

We travel with a supply of Paxlovid as well.  but remember, not all coughing is covid.  My husband has had a cough and congestion for the past month.  All covid tests (he has done several, flu test, RSV test negative.  No diagnosis-he just coughs.  I don't think he is contagious because I am fine, though he has had covid 3 times in the past and I have never had it despite living in the same house and sharing same bed (though I did distance myself when he was actually diagnosed with covid, but clearly would have been exposed before he was diagnosed).

It is unfortunate that Regent doesn't follow the CDC guidelines.  If you are recovered, you should be able to go about your regular cruise activity.  Probably the reason more people don't go see the doctor is because they are afraid of being quarantined. 

It is very important to remember that not all coughing, even deep coughing, is Covid.  In November, 2022, DH and I were on a Med cruise that then became a TA (on NCL).  We had been traveling through Europe before boarding the ship in Rome.  A couple of days into our cruise, I developed a deep cough that just would not go away, along with a few other symptoms.  I went to the Medical Center, was tested for Covid (negative).  Had an X-Ray and was diagnosed with severe bronchitis.  I was treated with IV antibiotics and inhalation treatments at the Medical Center for two days, then given oral antibiotics and puffer inhalation treatments to I could continue treatments in my cabin.  I missed a few excursions (le sigh) but it was good that I knew exactly what was wrong with me and how to treat it.  I had several follow-ups with the doctor, to ensure I was well enough to make the crossing and to see how I was doing.  The Medical Center was wonderful (if expensive -- we were glad to have travel insurance, but would have paid for the service out of pocket).  Do NOT play with your health.  Get checked out, and make sure you are treated for whatever actually ails you.

• Like 5

My husband also developed a deep persistent cough when he was on lisinopril.  People would look at him like he was a plague carrier ( this was pre Covid) and we were on a cruise so even though I thought I knew what the problem was, I couldn’t just take him off the BP med.  People were talking about us I am sure.  As soon as we got home, we called his internist and got the ned switched.

• Like 4

Much of this could be mitigated if people would just wear masks in crowded public places. We just returned from a cruise and were appalled how few people wore masks in crowded places.

8 hours ago, Syd58 said:

Much of this could be mitigated if people would just wear masks in crowded public places. We just returned from a cruise and were appalled how few people wore masks in crowded places.

WHy appalled? There is no requirement to do so by the CDC. I wear one on a plane because I think it makes a difference but I always wash my hands, try not to touch common items and don't stick my fingers in my face. That seems to make a big difference. The cruise lines are in a tough spot. Contrary to the OP, there are no requirements in place by the CDC for cruise ships so the cruise ships have no CDC requirements to follow. They have their own protocols which, in light of the lack of requirements by the CDC, are actually stricter than what is required (nothing). I've said the same thing for years now. If you cannot afford to get sick, do not travel on a plane, train or ship. Your health is too important and there are too many people out their who will no wash their hands, who will not go to the doctor and who will not think about the health of others.

• Like 7