Princess Cruise Ft. Lauderdale Hotel?

It's probably cheaper to Uber/Lyft/taxi to the cruise terminal instead of paying for hotel shuttle, especially from the 17th St hotels. Also, you don't have to stop at other ships (unless they go Terminal 2 first). We have also walked to 2 from the Hyatt Place. 

• Thanks 1

In the past few years there have been many well-deserved complaints about the Embassy Suites. A couple of months ago they finally started their interior renovations working from the top floor down.  I think floors 11 and 12 are completed based on what I've seen on TripAdvisor. I haven't seen any renovation schedule so if I was considering booking it in the next 6 to 9 months I'd call to see if the construction is on-going and, if so, 1) when is it scheduled to be completed and 2) how can I be guaranteed a renovated room?  Or just chose one of the recommended hotels in this thread and save the ES to another visit after all the work is complete.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SCX22 said:

I've stayed at almost all of the properties listed and they are fine.  I've always gone with the one that had the most reasonable rate.  It's just one night after all.  None of the Port Everglades hotels are new.  They are a decade old or older.  TBH, the Holiday Inn Express was my favorite for the price.  The Marriott Harbor Beach Resort and Spa, which is on the beach, is newly renovated and very clean.  It's also very expensive.  We went to a wedding held at one of their ballrooms and stayed a few nights before our cruise.  A cab to Celebrity's terminal was $15, probably cheaper to Princess' Terminal 2.

It's the tropics so if there are roaches, don't be surprised; nothing a shoe or a slipper can't kill.

Are you kidding about the roaches? 🤢

11 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Are you kidding about the roaches? 🤢

Nope.  Ask anyone who lives in a tropical climate.  They're always there; the question is do they come out when you're looking?

I had roaches pop out when I was staying at the Sheraton Waikiki and at Disney's Boardwalk Hotel.  If they rear, kill it, take a picture, show the picture to the front desk, and ask for a discount on the room.  If you feel like it ask to be moved.

The tropics harbors all sorts of pests.  

On a related note, would any of the area locals have any news on exactly when the new Omni at the Convention Center is set to open? The last time I checked, they were still only accepting large group bookings and "normal" bookings were not yet available, with opening "Fall 2025". I imagine it will be a pricey option but it would highly convenient as it is pretty much attached to Terminal 2.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

On a related note, would any of the area locals have any news on exactly when the new Omni at the Convention Center is set to open? The last time I checked, they were still only accepting large group bookings and "normal" bookings were not yet available, with opening "Fall 2025". I imagine it will be a pricey option but it would highly convenient as it is pretty much attached to Terminal 2.

would like to see any current construction pics - guess we'll see in person in about 6 weeks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Colorado - As mentioned,  almost ALL of these FLL hotels have been there for years, and can be 'dated'.

Clean enough is just leaving wiggle room for a hotel that has been there for a few years, and is not 'spanking new'.  

There are reports of other hotels that are right there where the Hyatt Cruise Port is located, that do get some questionable reviews.  (not clean, too dated, no hot water, etc....)

FLL has never been our destination, it is a one-night deal... and the Hyatt Place, next to Publix and dining and the great transfers to the cruise port, breakfast, etc... has always worked out really well.

For us, we have never felt the need to look for, or pay more for, a hotel with more 'amenities'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, capriccio said:

In the past few years there have been many well-deserved complaints about the Embassy Suites. A couple of months ago they finally started their interior renovations working from the top floor down.  I think floors 11 and 12 are completed based on what I've seen on TripAdvisor. I haven't seen any renovation schedule so if I was considering booking it in the next 6 to 9 months I'd call to see if the construction is on-going and, if so, 1) when is it scheduled to be completed and 2) how can I be guaranteed a renovated room?  Or just chose one of the recommended hotels in this thread and save the ES to another visit after all the work is complete.

I called and asked how to book a renovated room and I was told that I would have to book a premium suite. She seemed irritated with my question and not helpful at all. I can take this place off of the list of choices. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lx200gps said:

I’m trying to find some information on the new Omni opening date but I can’t find anything. That would be really nice. 

ETA: I just reread your post and see that it’s 2025. 

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

We like to stay at the Courtyard on Fort Lauderdale Beach.  It is older and some of the furnishings are dated but it's clean and in a great location.  The Renaissance is nice too. We last stayed at Embassy Suites two years ago and it was very dated and IMO too few elevators but it was clean enough.  We've also stayed at Spring Hill Suites which is in Dania.  They used to have an airport and cruise shuttle but according to this list they no longer have a free cruise shuttle.  https://www.visitlauderdale.com/plan-your-vacation/pre-post-cruise/hotels-with-shuttles/

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Colorado - As mentioned,  almost ALL of these FLL hotels have been there for years, and can be 'dated'.

Clean enough is just leaving wiggle room for a hotel that has been there for a few years, and is not 'spanking new'.  

There are reports of other hotels that are right there where the Hyatt Cruise Port is located, that do get some questionable reviews.  (not clean, too dated, no hot water, etc....)

FLL has never been our destination, it is a one-night deal... and the Hyatt Place, next to Publix and dining and the great transfers to the cruise port, breakfast, etc... has always worked out really well.

For us, we have never felt the need to look for, or pay more for, a hotel with more 'amenities'.

I agree, we don't need amenities for a one night stay before a cruise. We do expect the hotel to be clean. "Clean enough" sounds like the old expression "close enough for government work".

Edited by Colorado Coasty
typo

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

would like to see any current construction pics - guess we'll see in person in about 6 weeks

Same here, we'll be on the Sun on October 19. Prices are so high that period we're all the way out at the Riverside in Downtown (got a great price many months ago before they raised their prices for that date). One good thing about the new Omni is that even if they are overly expensive, such a new and massive hotel on 17th St will probably force all the usual suspects like the HP, Hilton, Renaissance and ES to at least temporarily drop prices. Fingers crossed. I'd take a brand new hotel like an Omni over any of the 17th St hotels in a heartbeat provided it was at least reasonably prices relative to the competition.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Same here, we'll be on the Sun on October 19. Prices are so high that period we're all the way out at the Riverside in Downtown (got a great price many months ago before they raised their prices for that date). One good thing about the new Omni is that even if they are overly expensive, such a new and massive hotel on 17th St will probably force all the usual suspects like the HP, Hilton, Renaissance and ES to at least temporarily drop prices. Fingers crossed. I'd take a brand new hotel like an Omni over any of the 17th St hotels in a heartbeat provided it was at least reasonably prices relative to the competition.

looks like we booked the Hilton back on Jan 13, 2024 - AAA Park and Stay rate that no longer shows up on the website.  We're about $60 less than current pricing when parking is added.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Hotels are doubled that weekend because of Taylor Swift. I turned in a Free Night Award since the hotel we booked is going for $500 a night. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2024 at 12:19 PM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I am really picky when it comes to hotels and have no idea where to stay for an upcoming cruise. I did just ask my friend for a recommendation but I would like to ask all of you too. Where do you stay in Fort Lauderdale the night before a cruise? Bonus points if there are shuttles, but I am most concerned with cleanliness. Thank you all so much. 

Hello @MsSoCalCruiser

Thank you for your new threadHowever, your inquiry was off topic where posted since it is about hotels in Fort Lauderdale, FL. To help you out, your new thread has been moved to the North American Homeports - Florida Departures forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that live there or have sailed from there frequent this forum and provide feedback here about hotels. Browse through the thread titles in this forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you have posted! Please click here Cruise Critic Community for our forum categories. I suggest you put the page link in your browser's Favorites for quick & easy access in the future. Please read a few threads in the forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Like 2

We're trying Rodeway Inn & Suites for our overnight. We've done Embassy Suites & Hyatt Place multiple times and tried Renaissance earlier this year. For one night, arriving late afternoon, we've decided to save some money and try something different. Free shuttle from the airport and to the cruise port and a restaurant right next door. We shall see. 

• Thanks 1

We like to stay at the Holiday Inn Express on 17th. They have new and renovated rooms.  It is very close to Publix and Total Wine.  And we love walking to the port for our cruise. If you are on Princess, it is less than a 10 minute walk. Nice not to be in the herd of people waiting for shuttles.  

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, voljeep said:

looks like we booked the Hilton back on Jan 13, 2024 - AAA Park and Stay rate that no longer shows up on the website.  We're about $60 less than current pricing when parking is added.

@voljeep, Which would you suggest, a Harbor Villa, Tower Balcony, or Water View Balcony? 

9 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

@voljeep, Which would you suggest, a Harbor Villa, Tower Balcony, or Water View Balcony? 

we are booked in a category that seems to no longer exist on the website

1 King Marina View Balcony under the AAA Park and Stay Rate.

when we got there - 2 years ago now, we 'upgraded' to early check-in, and a corner King Marina View on a higher floor - maybe 14? - it wasn't the suite, but we could see the marina, pool, intercoastal, bridge, water taxi,  but could not see the ships in port as I remember.

we've also stayed in a High Tower Balcony with a direct port view of T2 - but also looked down at the construction staging area of the Hilton renovations going on.

I'm not sure what / where the Harbor Villa rooms are - maybe someone else can help

• Thanks 1