Escargots - which Formal night?

canadarocks

We’ll be on the Enchanted with the Premier package in the Caribbean. Booking the majority of our dinners in the Specialty restaurants. But DH loves escargot and I’m pretty sure they are only available in the MDR on one of the two formal nights.

1st or 2nd?

5 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

We’ll be on the Enchanted with the Premier package in the Caribbean. Booking the majority of our dinners in the Specialty restaurants. But DH loves escargot and I’m pretty sure they are only available in the MDR on one of the two formal nights.

1st or 2nd?

Not sure, but do have to admit that escargot is my absolute favorite among all Princess' food items.  Might just as well take the cholesterol intravenously, but what the heck!  So worth it (once a cruise anyway).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, umpire30 said:

Not sure, but do have to admit that escargot is my absolute favorite among all Princess' food items.  Might just as well take the cholesterol intravenously, but what the heck!  So worth it (once a cruise anyway).

LOL… I’m not a fan but DH certainly is. And he’s thrilled that The Catch has oysters! 

1 hour ago, canadarocks said:

1st or 2nd?

Recently, the escargots were available on the 3rd formal night on the Emerald.

21 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

Was this in the Caribbean on the last Sea Day? Usually the 2nd to last night. 

No, it was on the 17 day Greenland cruise, 2nd last sea day.

• Thanks 1

We actually have two cruises, a 14 night Circle Caribbean (not B2B) and a 20 night (two 10 night that I know will have repeat menus). Both Travel Summaries say there will be 3 formal nights, but I'm pretty sure the 20 night will have 4. And it's the 20 night cruise that we've upgraded to Premier. Consensus seems to be that the Escargots will be on the last formal night, right?

Acquaint yourself with the headwaiter (I think they're now called Dining Room Managers and large dining rooms can have more than one manager). They love to make you happy! Let them know how much you love escargot. We've had escargot "off menu" many times.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, beg3yrs said:

Acquaint yourself with the headwaiter (I think they're now called Dining Room Managers and large dining rooms can have more than one manager). They love to make you happy! Let them know how much you love escargot. We've had escargot "off menu" many times.

Oh now that's a great idea! 😃

3 hours ago, canadarocks said:

LOL… And he’s (DH) thrilled that The Catch has oysters! 

But as listed, oysters are $3 extra charge each. If oysters are really freshly shucked, we will gladly pay.

• Like 1

I didn’t realize Princess still had formal nights.  How many on a 10 night cruise?  If we don’t want to pack formal clothes, we can just eat at one of the informal venues, correct?

8 minutes ago, MomC said:

I didn’t realize Princess still had formal nights.  How many on a 10 night cruise?  If we don’t want to pack formal clothes, we can just eat at one of the informal venues, correct?

No need to pack formal clothes. No need to eat anywhere other than the dining room if that’s where you want to eat. For the men just bring a nice pair of trousers, a.k.a. pants and a nice shirt and for the women a dress or a pant outfit -maybe with a sparkly top -other than that no worries. Yes Princess still calls it formal, smart, casual, and dress to impress, but honestly, I’m not really sure it means anything nowadays. I still believe there are no shorts, tank tops, baseball caps, etc. allowed in the dining room, but never say never. Breakfast and lunch in the dining room all that is totally acceptable.

Look at your travel summary it should tell you how many formal nights are on your 10 day cruise. I would say two for sure and maybe three. Totally acceptable to wear the same outfit all two/three nights if you wish.

There are a ton of formal night threads….. so just look at them or do what you wish. But to skip the dining room if that’s where you want to be, it’s not necessary to go anywhere else in my opinion.

Yes, of course you can eat ( formal night) at the buffet, international cafe if your ship has one ,casual dining , specialty dining , the pizza place ( slice) out on the deck, etc., on formal night.

Edited by arizonaperson

3 minutes ago, MomC said:

No longer called “Formal Night” now Dress to Impress night.

People wear what is comfortable for them,

- woman - dress, pants with fancy tops, long dress, pant suit, skirt 

- men - dress slack, with or without jacket, button down shirt with or without tie, 3 button golf type of shirt with nice slacks,  tuxedo, suits

Some change after dining for shorts.

With most people flying and weight limits for luggage, more are watching what they bring.

18 minutes ago, MomC said:

We wear the same clothes every night in the MDR (well not the SAME clothes 😆), formal or not. 

4 minutes ago, phabric said:

No longer called “Formal Night” now Dress to Impress night.

Not sure this is right. My Trip Summary still says that there will be two Formal Nights and the email I received this week that served as the “looking forward to seeing you next week” reminder repeated that there would be two Formal Nights. The text reads:

Enjoy dressing to impress? You'll love formal nights on your cruise. Pack your evening gown, cocktail dress, slacks, tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket and slacks for a meal to remember in our main dining rooms.”

The accompanying photo showed a gentleman wearing a blazer, open-collar shirt and no tie. So clearly they appreciate the fact that Formal Nights aren’t really formal. 

5 hours ago, umpire30 said:

It is all about that garlic butter and a piece of bread roll.  

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure escargot used to be available every night. If not, they were on the menu a bunch. We were told some cockandbull story about a "shortage" -- and I do think there was a temporary shortage -- but the fact is today escargot are cheap. A can of 96 snails from a restaurant supply house costs $8, so fifty cents a serving. There is zero reason this shouldn't be on the menu every night.

Edited by Mississippian

2 hours ago, canadarocks said:

They’re called Formal Nights. They are not enforced in any way. The menus on those nights tend to be “special”. Hence the question about Escargots. 😁

Yes, it seems to me the designation "formal" refers now more to the menu than the dress code.

• Like 1