Specialty dining reservation times need to be fairly distributed.

mozfoz

Very much looking forward to our first Oceania cruise, with very high expectations on the food. And that may be a problem, as  I know our expectations  probably cannot be met. The first disappointment was realized this morning. As we are in an OV cabin, our ability to make reservation is 45 days before the sail date, while other categories are 60 or even 90 days out.  Knowing that, I was on my computer at 12;01 hoping to get a good dinner time for our table of 4. It took about 2 minutes to learn that there was no time before 8:00 at any of the specialty restaurants. I did get 2 reservations for 8:00 and 2 for 8:30. As we never eat that late, we probably will not get to eat at a specialty restaurant. Oh well, I am sure the other venues will be good. I know that people are paying 2-3 time what we are paying, but I would like if there was a more equitable way to distribute the availability of reservations times for all.  I know the brains at Oceania can figure out a system for a fair distribution of dinner times available,  so everyone can have at least one time of choice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mozfoz said:

Very much looking forward to our first Oceania cruise, with very high expectations on the food. And that may be a problem, as  I know our expectations  probably cannot be met. The first disappointment was realized this morning. As we are in an OV cabin, our ability to make reservation is 45 days before the sail date, while other categories are 60 or even 90 days out.  Knowing that, I was on my computer at 12;01 hoping to get a good dinner time for our table of 4. It took about 2 minutes to learn that there was no time before 8:00 at any of the specialty restaurants. I did get 2 reservations for 8:00 and 2 for 8:30. As we never eat that late, we probably will not get to eat at a specialty restaurant. Oh well, I am sure the other venues will be good. I know that people are paying 2-3 time what we are paying, but I would like if there was a more equitable way to distribute the availability of reservations times for all.  I know the brains at Oceania can figure out a system for a fair distribution of dinner times available,  so everyone can have at least one time of choice.

I have read on this site that the first night usually has times available and to check with the restaurant. You can also check in person on the other nights. We have only been on one O cruise so far. Learning a lot on cruise critic.

Luck of the draw?  Maybe it's the ship or the itinerary.  We are also first timers in a steerage cabin and had to wait for 45 days.  However, I got reservations for two restaurants at 6:30 pm.  We asked to share a table.  We always do.  I don't know if that had anything to do with it.  I fully accept that if I want the perks of a higher-priced cabin, I will have to pay for them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, mozfoz said:

Speak with the reservations desk the minute you get on the ship. They hold back reservations to be offered in person upon embarkation. And if you are not satisfied check every morning with the person on duty there or call them from your cabin. With a little persistence you should be okay.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mozfoz said:

Did you only look for "not sharing" or did you try with "sharing"?  Also, O does hold back tables to assign on embarkation day plus lots of people cancel and tables open up.  

• Like 1

Friends of ours were just on a cruise on O around the British Isles on one of the smaller ships with just Toscana and Polo.  They were in Concierge but when they jumped online at midnight.01 they could not get any early times for either alternate restaurant.   They celebrated a special occasion onboard and ended up tipping the maitre’d a $20. and got a table.  They showed up when Polo opened and were told, sorry, no.  The husband slipped the maitre’d the cash and basically said, we will wait here just in case anything becomes available for two.  Five minutes later, a miracle, a two top became available.

In regard to dining, I was quite disappointed in two of the alternatives and was not crazy about the Terrace as I have seen cutbacks even since last year.  As food is subjective I fully expect others to disagree.  Each to their own, so to speak.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, cruisr said:

Friends of ours were just on a cruise on O around the British Isles on one of the smaller ships with just Toscana and Polo.  They were in Concierge but when they jumped online at midnight.01 they could not get any early times for either alternate restaurant.   They celebrated a special occasion onboard and ended up tipping the maitre’d a $20. and got a table.  They showed up when Polo opened and were told, sorry, no.  The husband slipped the maitre’d the cash and basically said, we will wait here just in case anything becomes available for two.  Five minutes later, a miracle, a two top became available.

In regard to dining, I was quite disappointed in two of the alternatives and was not crazy about the Terrace as I have seen cutbacks even since last year.  As food is subjective I fully expect others to disagree.  Each to their own, so to speak.

Maitre'd s have been fired for accepting a cash "tip" for a table - hope no one saw or reports this as he/she will be gone!

• Like 11

We're in a Concierge cabin in October, and could book 60 days out.  Even then, tables for 4 early in the evening were hard to get for the days and times we wanted.  There were numerous tables for two.

57 minutes ago, cruisr said:

No need for the tip

If you wait and people do not show up you get a table. 

• Like 2

@mozfoz

You have received a lot of good info from other posters with numerous cruises under their belts, a little cuisine humor 😇.  OK, it would be helpful to know which ship you are on because the number of restaurant options double as well as the number of tables also increase. If you will share a 6 top, you might be able to get an earlier seating but if only a 4 top is acceptable, then the queue at the Reservation Desk on Deck 5 is your first stop on Embarkation Day. Lastly, while the cuisine is very good it is alway subjective and very high expectations are rarely met so you are better off if you dial it back a little. Also, since your first Specialty experience will set the tone, pick accordingly and ask the posters for some specific restaurant menu recommendations. Lots of great menu items but everyone has their favorites. 
Enjoy your Oceania experience.

Mauibabes

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisr said:

Maitre'ds ae not supposed to accept such advance tips for tables.  Many of us consider a bribe. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

On a 10 night cruise last year on Riviera, I went to the reservations desk every day, and was not able to get any additional reservations.  I did not offer to share a table, so maybe that was the reason.

Wanting a second dinner at Jacques we asked for a shared table. Totally nice couple. What was kinda interesting is that we didn't time our dining to match. 

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Maitre'ds ae not supposed to accept such advance tips for tables.  Many of us consider a bribe. 

IMneverHO, it is absolutely a bribe. Makes my flesh crawl.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mozfoz said:

I would like if there was a more equitable way to distribute the availability of reservations times for all.

What would you suggest would be a practical solution? There are only a limited number of tables and a limited number of hours. If you have more people than chairs wanting to eat at 6.30 then some folk are not going to get what they want. Maybe not have the staggered reservation days - so they just open up reservations to everyone, say, 45 days out and let everyone take their chances getting their choice. Or base access on when you booked the cruise, rather than level of cabin?

By the by, when we first cruised, back in the late 80s and early 90s, with P & O, the line operated dinner at two sittings. You could state a preference but would not know your allocation till you got on board. If there was over demand, allocations were made by date you booked. That was fine until the third cruise which we had not booked very early. Found ourselves allocated to the first sitting which I think was 6.30. Much to early for us (almost still afternoon) and it was a major reason why we never cruised with them again and, in fact, didnt take another major cruise holiday till we discovered Oceania in 2017. 

• Like 4

I’m not even sure why they still make reservations at 8:00 or 8:30. IME, at 8:30 the restaurant is in effect closing down. In the past, when I was given a reservation that was at 8 o’clock or later, I went down and spoke to the Maitre’D when they first opened, and generally, I was told to come at an earlier time and they could accommodate me. Also, it does help to be willing to share a table. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, basor said:

Maitre'd s have been fired for accepting a cash "tip" for a table - hope no one saw or reports this as he/she will be gone!

All kinds of tipping over and above is going on, sorry this is off topic.

All staff now expect it. It's people like this that have created this expectation.  The included gratuities now mean nothing.

• Like 3

I clearly remember the day when passengers were bragging about tipping Maitre De for tables. Staff fired, and the restaurant personnel wouldn’t talk to any walk ups. Everything went through the Reservation Desk. Perhaps that was a better system. People need to be careful what they write here.

On another note, we leave for Tuscany tomorrow. It’s a seven (7) hour time difference. My body will have a zero idea of what time it is for several days after arriving. In going to Japan in April, it was fourteen)14) hours difference. The body will do as I then train it to do. Restaurants don’t open up there until 7-8:00 pm. I’ll train my body to eat then. Maybe a little late afternoon nappypoh to help. I won’t claim I can’t eat that late!  People have  habits. Some habits are good, some bad, and some neither, just habits. The secret to a good life is to never become enslaved by your your habits.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I’m not even sure why they still make reservations at 8:00

Possibly because many customers from my part of the world would regard 8pm as "dinner time". Although, as we've got older, we now eat earlier at home at 7.30 and fairly often similar at restaurants

But I accept that Oceania is an American line catering to the tastes and expectations of Americans. I know many Americans like to eat early and I recall a recentish thread where a goodly number of contributors expressed a wish that O's restaurants opened earlier than 6.30. I'd certainly agree with them opening as early as possible - it would better ensure I can get a reservation at a more appropriate later time. 

It's a bit similar to some restaurants I know in Spain. Turn up for a reservation at 8 and you'll see a few North Europeans already on dessert but most of us will be at an early stage of our meal or just arriving. By the time, we're getting to dessert, the locals start arriving. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

On another note, we leave for Tuscany tomorrow. It’s a seven (7) hour time difference. My body will have a zero idea of what time it is for several days after arriving. In going to Japan in April, it was fourteen)14) hours difference. The body will do as I then train it to do. Restaurants don’t open up there until 7-8:00 pm. I’ll train my body to eat then. Maybe a little late afternoon nappypoh to help. I won’t claim I can’t eat that late!  People have  habits. Some habits are good, some bad, and some neither, just habits. The secret to a good life is to never become enslaved by your your habits.

“Nappypoh”  you’re starting to sound just like us ‘oldies’ who frequent Oceania🤣

The weather in Europe is beautifully warm at the moment without being too hot. Have just spent two very pleasant weeks in Portugal.

Enjoy your trip I’m sure it will be wonderful!

Edited by Vallesan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There really are people who like to eat later in the evening.  We usually go to tea time and have a small sandwich and dessert and then have drinks during happy hour with nuts and chips.  We don't want to eat at 6:30.  8:00 or 8:30 is our preferred time.  We have had reservations made for 9:00 and they usually are made earlier.  And unlike a previous poster said the staff is upset with those who stay later in the dining room or even have the gall to make a reservation later we never saw the anger he said happened.  On our last cruise we closed the dining room down about 10:00. which really isn't that late, and the waiters were laughing and talking with us and our dining companions, and they certainly weren't trying to rush us out.

When we ate in the dining room we were seated near the entrance and there were people coming in as late as 9:00 for dinner.  

If they try to have dining hours from 5:00 to 7:00 there are going to be some people who aren't going to be happy

15 hours ago, cruisr said:

It’s not something to be proud of and posted on CC. Rules are the same for all. It’s strictly prohibited to tip in exchange of getting the table in specialty restaurants.

Edited by osandomir
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, osandomir said:

It’s strictly prohibited to tip in exchange of getting the table in specialty restaurants.

I'm thinking you mean an internal policy applicable to employees.  I cannot imagine a rule prohibiting passengers from offering to hand over money.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I'm thinking you mean an internal policy applicable to employees.  I cannot imagine a rule prohibiting passengers from offering to hand over money.   

Yes, you’re right. I mean accepting tips in exchange of providing the table.

• Thanks 1

have never had a problem getting reservations, as long as you are willing to share...

even then when we told the maitre d of the number of times we have had table mates that were not compatible to us, we were given a private table...

if I see the extra tipping as described by a poster here, I will report it and ask for policy....