Specialty dining reservation times need to be fairly distributed.

mozfoz

You pays your money, you take your chance.  I’m pretty sure that passengers in the top suites wouldn’t be very happy if they didn’t get the  reservations they wanted when they’re paying considerably more than the rest of us.

As others have said, check daily for cancellations.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mozfoz said:

Very much looking forward to our first Oceania cruise, with very high expectations on the food. And that may be a problem, as  I know our expectations  probably cannot be met. The first disappointment was realized this morning. As we are in an OV cabin, our ability to make reservation is 45 days before the sail date, while other categories are 60 or even 90 days out.  Knowing that, I was on my computer at 12;01 hoping to get a good dinner time for our table of 4. It took about 2 minutes to learn that there was no time before 8:00 at any of the specialty restaurants. I did get 2 reservations for 8:00 and 2 for 8:30. As we never eat that late, we probably will not get to eat at a specialty restaurant. Oh well, I am sure the other venues will be good. I know that people are paying 2-3 time what we are paying, but I would like if there was a more equitable way to distribute the availability of reservations times for all.  I know the brains at Oceania can figure out a system for a fair distribution of dinner times available,  so everyone can have at least one time of choice.

In December, we went on our first cruise on Regent. They have the same system for specialty dining reservations. Like you, we had incredibly high expectations for the cruise in every way.

We were in a regular veranda cabin on their newest ship, so we could only make dinner reservations at 45 days out (although their regular veranda cabins are about the size of the PH cabins on the larger Oceania ships). The night to make reservations came, I was on at 12:01, and we could only get 8 or 8:30 reservations. In one case, we could only get a sharing reservation. We usually eat at 7pm and we don't usually like to share. However, there was nothing we could do. The ship was full, and there were no changes that could be made once we got on board. I was very upset - the whole system did not seem fair.

We made it work. The meals were later than we would have liked, but the food was the same amd we adjusted to the later schedule.

I think the biggest issue is that our expections for everything, not just the food, were impossibly high. It was our first cruise on a premium line and we thought everything was going to be magical. Especially because the people on the Regent CC board played it up so much. It was a great cruise, we enjoyed it, but it was not perfect by any means. There were some huge service issues in the main dining room and some things we were promised before we boarded did not happen. 

The lesson I learned is that I will never again go into a new cruise line with such high expectations. I would rather be realistic and be delighted.

• Like 7

Dont have much to add other than emphasizing to check once on board.  We traveled on Regatta as a family of 8, all staying in ocean view cabins and not really understanding the whole reservation process, did not attempt to make reservations until shortly before we cruised.  Obviously, little to no spots available.

Talked to front desk once on board, and they were able to accommodate us.  Maybe not with the exact time we wanted, but close enough.

Relax. Reservation days and times depend on the people who booked the cruise.  If we cruise out of Miami, early times are already booked. Only late times are open. If we are on European cruise, there are early times open. Be flexible. If we have a late reservation, we do tea at. 4 pm or order some late afternoon snacks from room service.   There are reservations open onboard that you cannot book online.  Visit maitr’d onboard asap.  Explain your preferences.  Things will work out.  There is also a daily time to book or change reservations. On some cruises, we got exactly what we wanted before boarding.  More often, I got either a shared table or later time.  Shared tables can be great. We have long time friends that we met by sharing a table. Often those guests in the higher priced cabins cancel some of their prebooked tables.  We have done that.  Keep checking for possible reservations.  We just did a cruise in a suite. Made 2 reservations in each restaurant.  We ended up canceling 2 of our reservations.  Regardless of where you dine, the food is excellent.  I love the Terrace buffet and Waves at night.  Waves pizza is great. Everything on the GDR menu is offered in the buffet plus sushi.  Enjoy

I'm going off on a slight tangent, but we'll be doing Oceania (Sirena) for the first time in a few months.  We are in the top level (largest) non-suite, OV cabin (C1, I think).

When traveling, we usually prefer to eat later, maybe 8 or so, and dine alone, so it sounds like we might not have too much trouble booking a table, true?

Also, how exactly are specialty restaurant reservations handled?  I think there are 2 on Sirena, correct?  And you are allowed to reserve one night in each one, and maybe more if available?  I'm not entirely clear on this. 

40 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I'm going off on a slight tangent, but we'll be doing Oceania (Sirena) for the first time in a few months.  We are in the top level (largest) non-suite, OV cabin (C1, I think).

When traveling, we usually prefer to eat later, maybe 8 or so, and dine alone, so it sounds like we might not have too much trouble booking a table, true?

Also, how exactly are specialty restaurant reservations handled?  I think there are 2 on Sirena, correct?  And you are allowed to reserve one night in each one, and maybe more if available?  I'm not entirely clear on this. 

I don't think you will have any problems getting a table at that time.  On our last cruise on Nautica we didn't book until several days after we could have and we were in a veranda.  We were able to reserve one at 8:00 and one 8:30.  We asked for a shared tables as that is what we prefer but one night we ate alone.  I'm pretty certain our 8:30 reservation was changed to 8:00.  Both nights we were finished by 10:00 so if you're interested in going to a show it may not work but we don't attend shows every night if ever.  We prefer the music in Horizons or Martinis.

We never asked for more reservations on our last trip but in the past we have received them, I think because we like to eat later.  You will not be able to get additional reservations until you're on board the ship.

2 minutes ago, iowananny said:

I don't think you will have any problems getting a table at that time.  On our last cruise on Nautica we didn't book until several days after we could have and we were in a veranda.  We were able to reserve one at 8:00 and one 8:30.  We asked for a shared tables as that is what we prefer but one night we ate alone.  I'm pretty certain our 8:30 reservation was changed to 8:00.  Both nights we were finished by 10:00 so if you're interested in going to a show it may not work but we don't attend shows every night if ever.  We prefer the music in Horizons or Martinis.

We never asked for more reservations on our last trip but in the past we have received them, I think because we like to eat later.  You will not be able to get additional reservations until you're on board the ship.

Typically, what are the times of the shows?  We do enjoy going to some of them.  We've only been on the larger ships/cruise so not entirely sure what to expect from Oceania.

4 hours ago, iowananny said:

There really are people who like to eat later in the evening.  We usually go to tea time and have a small sandwich and dessert and then have drinks during happy hour with nuts and chips.  We don't want to eat at 6:30.  8:00 or 8:30 is our preferred time.  We have had reservations made for 9:00 and they usually are made earlier.  And unlike a previous poster said the staff is upset with those who stay later in the dining room or even have the gall to make a reservation later we never saw the anger he said happened.  On our last cruise we closed the dining room down about 10:00. which really isn't that late, and the waiters were laughing and talking with us and our dining companions, and they certainly weren't trying to rush us out.

When we ate in the dining room we were seated near the entrance and there were people coming in as late as 9:00 for dinner.  

If they try to have dining hours from 5:00 to 7:00 there are going to be some people who aren't going to be happy

This may be why we rarely have trouble getting extra reservations. That is because we love to eat at 8:30 or 8:00 if asked.  Glad that there are choices for all of us. 

1 minute ago, Stockjock said:

Typically, what are the times of the shows?  We do enjoy going to some of them.  We've only been on the larger ships/cruise so not entirely sure what to expect from Oceania.

9:30 with the rare deviation of 9:15 or 9:00.

6 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

59 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

If I remember correctly you are on a 7-night cruise; these are the most difficult to get a private table. I was recently on an 11-day cruise on Regatta and there were zero private tables available on any day at any time. Sharing had reasonable availability (sea days are the worst).

However, if you end up with a sharing-rez, keep checking before embarkation (sometimes tables open up); when you board, check with the reservation table (mentioning the b'day can't hurt). Good luck, and enjoy!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonthomas said:

if I see the extra tipping as described by a poster here, I will report it and ask for policy....

As will I. I loathe it when I see it onshore also.

As the OP, I appreciate all the tips and advice offered. Thank you. I will not be disappointed with our existing reservations. I am not oppose sharing a table. In fact, on our very first cruise 40 years ago, we met a couple at an open seating at lunch. Back then, lunch was alway open seating only. We have been friends now for 40 years, communicate monthly and visit/cruise with each other as permitted, as they live in a different country. My request was for a table for 4 as I thought that would offer the best chances for us to dine together. I am open minded, have realistic expectations and look so forward to sailing Oceania Marina. After a few river cruises, this ship will seem enormous. Never had a bad cruise.

2 hours ago, Stockjock said:

maybe 8 or so, and dine alone, so it sounds like we might not have too much trouble booking a table, true?

True, in our experience. In three cruises, we've never had a problem getting a two-top around 8pm. Occasionally, not on the day we first thought of.

On 9/12/2024 at 9:03 AM, pinotlover said:

I clearly remember the day when passengers were bragging about tipping Maitre De for tables. Staff fired, and the restaurant personnel wouldn’t talk to any walk ups. Everything went through the Reservation Desk. Perhaps that was a better system. People need to be careful what they write here.

On another note, we leave for Tuscany tomorrow. It’s a seven (7) hour time difference. My body will have a zero idea of what time it is for several days after arriving. In going to Japan in April, it was fourteen)14) hours difference. The body will do as I then train it to do. Restaurants don’t open up there until 7-8:00 pm. I’ll train my body to eat then. Maybe a little late afternoon nappypoh to help. I won’t claim I can’t eat that late!  People have  habits. Some habits are good, some bad, and some neither, just habits. The secret to a good life is to never become enslaved by your your habits.

It's good that you are able to be flexible.  Not all of our bodies work that way.  Sure, day 1 is a mish mash of eating and sleeping at odd times.  But once we get to the next day.  My body won't sleep past sunrise.  At home I wake up by 5 every day.  This isn't a choice. That is when I wake up.  If I stay up late I will just get less sleep.  And since I can't sleep while it's daylight, naps aren't an option. I've done shift work all of my career and it has left me with chronic insomnia.  Maintaining a schedule is the only way I can sleep at all.  I can't possibly eat dinner at 8:30. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 3

@sanger727  I am the same way.  When we are on a cruise we eat at 6:30-7:00. The body needs a couple of hours to digest dinner.  Eating at 8:30 would mean I'd be going to bed on a full stomach. No thanks.

Sometimes at home our schedule will get busy and we may not have been able to eat dinner by 7:30.  If that happens, I'll just skip dinner and have a small snack. It's easier to sleep. 

Just off the lovely Insignia - being in an interior we had no specialty dining booked for the first 14 day segment and only one on the second leg (I didn't put it in my calendar).  Once onboard we were able to book two dinners on the first leg and two more on the second.  A couple times they were to share and when we got there we were able to have a table for two.  

• Thanks 1

We will be on a 27 day cruise on board Riviera and for the first time are travelling together with another couple.  The specialty restaurant booking date is almost upon us and we are wondering how to book our table reservations so we can dine together.  Each couple has been granted four reservations, one in each of the specialty restaurants. Can each of us book a table for foour, thereby ending up with 8 reservations, or can we only book for two and somehow join our two reservations?

11 minutes ago, geoacs said:

We will be on a 27 day cruise on board Riviera and for the first time are travelling together with another couple.  The specialty restaurant booking date is almost upon us and we are wondering how to book our table reservations so we can dine together.  Each couple has been granted four reservations, one in each of the specialty restaurants. Can each of us book a table for foour, thereby ending up with 8 reservations, or can we only book for two and somehow join our two reservations?

You can't double dip.  One of you can book a table with the others...there is an option to add the other couple...but it will count against the other couple's allotment.  Whoever does the booking will need the other couple's booking number. 

Edited by 1985rz1

8 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

You can't double dip.  One of you can book a table with the others...there is an option to add the other couple...but it will count against the other couple's allotment.  Whoever does the booking will need the other couple's booking number. 

OK, thank you for that info.  It is what I thought, but was just hoping I was wrong.

37 minutes ago, geoacs said:

Just one tip. We have travelled with friends before but couldn’t always get a table for four. So, we booked as separate couples at the same time/night, even on sharing tables and they managed to get us sitting together on the night!

• Thanks 2

On 9/11/2024 at 5:21 PM, basor said:

Maitre'd s have been fired for accepting a cash "tip" for a table - hope no one saw or reports this as he/she will be gone!

This leads me to wonder if all of those bartenders that people tip on the "first" day as they are certain that it enables them to obtain better service....or the cabin personnel/Butlers who accept tips as they are offered...are also in jeopardy of immediate termination?  

Tipping has been around since forever....and I doubt very seriously that this practice is treated as severely as you claim.....could be wrong?  And we have seen it done......also DONE it ourselves!  and never noticed any repercussions......just our experience I guess?