HAL- CUSTOMER SERVICE- DISGRACEFUL!

Rambozo68

8 hours ago, bigbeergut said:

If you cancelled the day before the cruise, then it sounds like it was less than 24 hours and you are not eligible for cancellation coverage.  It’s unfortunate that your TA may have received incorrect information.  At less than 24 hours you are in the trip interruption category and the insurance company expects you to join the trip in process.  For a 35 day trip, I suspect that you could have caught up somewhere.

We were on that cruise they missed.  There were many people joining the ship at subsequent ports.  There were several people whose luggage missed the ship due to the computer problem.  Most of them got their luggage later when it caught up to the ship.  There was at least one party whose bags didn't catch up until disembarkation.

8 hours ago, bigbeergut said:

If you cancelled the day before the cruise, then it sounds like it was less than 24 hours and you are not eligible for cancellation coverage.  It’s unfortunate that your TA may have received incorrect information.  At less than 24 hours you are in the trip interruption category and the insurance company expects you to join the trip in process.  For a 35 day trip, I suspect that you could have caught up somewhere.

She had Platinum coverage and can cancel the day of. She doesn’t even need a reason or excuse.  She would not be expected to do anything but notify

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Rambozo68 said:

UPDATE 1

I mentioned in my original post that this affected both us and our friends who travelled with us. 6 weeks and 4 days after returning, our friends have just received the response below from HAL.

• Their bank confirmed that no attempt was made to make this payment.
  • "Issue a check" - seriously, it's 2024!
  • "Strict auditing - MINIMUM 60 DAYS" - surely not!
  • "We regret we are unable to assist with your concern directly" - that's your job!
  • "Unable to provide direct contact" - yeah, that means don't bother us again! 
  • "Disappointing holiday" - oh no it wasn't, it was fantastic!
  • "Office of the President" ??????????????

In summary, they still have no idea when their OBC will be refunded!

(almost $900)

hal.jpg

THANK YOU for your post with the letter from OFFICE of the PRESIDENT.

See my posts 55,58 & 72 -Platinum Plan - cancel for any reason.

The letter I received from OFFICE of the PRESIDENT advised me to file a cancellation claim with AON, which I did. The AON response was only Holland handles cancellation claims.

So, it is now established that the OFFICE of the PRESIDENT has no credibility.

I suggest you file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (https://www.bbb.org/us/wa/seattle/profile/travel-agency/holland-america-line-1296-501331/complaints?page=2).

This will not help with your claim, but it will add to the record. Hollands BBB rating was F until recently changed to NR.

I am in my 9th decade and have never experienced such unethical behavior - and Holland is a division of an S&P 500 corporation.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2024 at 4:45 AM, Riversider said:

THANK YOU for your post with the letter from OFFICE of the PRESIDENT.

See my posts 55,58 & 72 -Platinum Plan - cancel for any reason.

The letter I received from OFFICE of the PRESIDENT advised me to file a cancellation claim with AON, which I did. The AON response was only Holland handles cancellation claims.

So, it is now established that the OFFICE of the PRESIDENT has no credibility.

I suggest you file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (https://www.bbb.org/us/wa/seattle/profile/travel-agency/holland-america-line-1296-501331/complaints?page=2).

This will not help with your claim, but it will add to the record. Hollands BBB rating was F until recently changed to NR.

I am in my 9th decade and have never experienced such unethical behavior - and Holland is a division of an S&P 500 corporation.

Hi Riversider, apologies for the late response, I'm just seeing this post now. I 100% agree that the OFFICE of the PRESIDENT has no credibility. I have now had two responses from SPECIAL ADVISOR's on behalf of the PRESIDENT. See highlights from latest response below.

Excuse after excuse, after excuse. It is now 59 DAYS since I stepped off the Koningsdam and I am no further forward getting MY MONEY back!  And If the PRESIDENT is "advocating for an expedited refund" but can't tell you when it will be, what chance do any of us mere mortals have in getting answers!

"Thank you for contacting Mr. Gus Antorcha regarding your ms Koningsdam sailing.

Mr. Antorcha has reviewed your feedback and asked me to respond on his behalf and to apologize for our delayed response.

We are working diligently to bring our Guest Relations and Onboard Billing queues current after receiving an unexpected number of emails due to the Alaska Riley Wildfire and CrowdStrike flight cancelations. Currently, there is approximately a 35-day delay, and have teams working 7 days a week to reduce this backlog so we can return to the response times our guests are accustomed to.

Due to the volume and care being dedicated to ensuring each refund is processed accurately, all refunds will be processed in due course, but delays should be anticipated. Please allow sufficient time for us to manage this process and know we are doing everything in our power to expedite where possible.

We have transitioned to a new processing system for guest refunds and regrettably, while we are advocating for an expedited refund, we cannot verify the date this will process. We apologize for any frustration caused by the delay in processing your refund. Our Accounting Department is working to finalize this as quickly as possible, and we regret the inconvenience. We do sincerely apologize for the delay in response and resolution and share in your disappointment at the uncharacteristic delay in refunding the credit from your onboard folio.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience and greatly appreciate the patience of our guests.

It is truly disappointing to know that you do not intend to sail with us again in the future. Mr. Antorcha is confident that should you choose to join us again, you will find your difficulties to be an isolated incident. Regardless, we wish you all the best in your future travels and thank you for taking the time to address your concerns with us."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rambozo68 said:

Hi Riversider, apologies for the late response, I'm just seeing this post now. I 100% agree that the OFFICE of the PRESIDENT has no credibility. I have now had two responses from SPECIAL ADVISOR's on behalf of the PRESIDENT. See highlights from latest response below.

Excuse after excuse, after excuse. It is now 59 DAYS since I stepped off the Koningsdam and I am no further forward getting MY MONEY back!  And If the PRESIDENT is "advocating for an expedited refund" but can't tell you when it will be, what chance do any of us mere mortals have in getting answers!

"Thank you for contacting Mr. Gus Antorcha regarding your ms Koningsdam sailing.

Mr. Antorcha has reviewed your feedback and asked me to respond on his behalf and to apologize for our delayed response.

We are working diligently to bring our Guest Relations and Onboard Billing queues current after receiving an unexpected number of emails due to the Alaska Riley Wildfire and CrowdStrike flight cancelations. Currently, there is approximately a 35-day delay, and have teams working 7 days a week to reduce this backlog so we can return to the response times our guests are accustomed to.

Due to the volume and care being dedicated to ensuring each refund is processed accurately, all refunds will be processed in due course, but delays should be anticipated. Please allow sufficient time for us to manage this process and know we are doing everything in our power to expedite where possible.

We have transitioned to a new processing system for guest refunds and regrettably, while we are advocating for an expedited refund, we cannot verify the date this will process. We apologize for any frustration caused by the delay in processing your refund. Our Accounting Department is working to finalize this as quickly as possible, and we regret the inconvenience. We do sincerely apologize for the delay in response and resolution and share in your disappointment at the uncharacteristic delay in refunding the credit from your onboard folio.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience and greatly appreciate the patience of our guests.

It is truly disappointing to know that you do not intend to sail with us again in the future. Mr. Antorcha is confident that should you choose to join us again, you will find your difficulties to be an isolated incident. Regardless, we wish you all the best in your future travels and thank you for taking the time to address your concerns with us."

Wow, that is truly the ultimate form letter.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2024 at 7:10 AM, bigbeergut said:

As I remember that incident, most flights were not canceled days in advance, usually on the day of departure.  The airlines were doing their best to get flying again.  They probably didn’t have 24 hr notice.   When I used the HAL standard plan a couple of months ago, my refund came in a couple of days.  However, I did learn a lot.  I learned that there were no “covered reasons” for cancellation.  All cancellations had the 10 or 20 percent penalty.  I guess I should have read the policy more closely.

The HAL CCP is a "cancel for any reason."  Obviously, there are no covered reasons.  This is the main reason that we and others choose HAL's CPP.  CFAR provisions in private insurance policies are very expensive and even those policies don't always refund 100%.

• Like 1

As an update, our cruise ended August 24th and we still have no sign of our $900+ refund.  This was for a Juneau excursion booked through HAL that was cancelled due to weather.  Still ZERO response from HAL to our e-mails.  And call center is not helpful.  We disputed the charge with our credit card company and hoping that will lead to getting our money back.  Very unfortunate.

• Like 2

Rambozo - it seems your friends bank kicked the refund back to HAL. 

“As the request was rejected by the issuing bank”

Does your final statement show that a credit is owed?  Service charges and purchases didn’t use up some of the refund?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, floridababa said:

We have learned to get any credit due us in $$$ the last day or night before end of cruise. I rather have the cash than the headache of waiting for refund to a credit card

And if you read the Norwegian cruise line board, you will read that they require that. And passengers complain because they are forced to go to customer service to get their monetary refund before they are allowed to disembark.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

And if you read the Norwegian cruise line board, you will read that they require that. And passengers complain because they are forced to go to customer service to get their monetary refund before they are allowed to disembark.

I imagine that generates quite a long line of people in addition to the ones disputing something on the final bill. any ship I've been on has had a queue at the purser's desk on the last morning.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I imagine that generates quite a long line of people in addition to the ones disputing something on the final bill. any ship I've been on has had a queue at the purser's desk on the last morning.

There are less pleasant tasks to go on rather than get paid. I had that on a RCCI ship once. They would not let me off the ship because I had a credit and had to go to the front desk and be given cash. For some reason they couldn't credit to my card. Since then I take any cash out I'm entitled to as early as possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

And that of course is why there were complaints generated by that policy.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I wonder if people who are owed small amounts shrug it off rather than wait in line on the last day.

Not from personal experience but from reading the Norwegian Cruise Line board, they would not let passengers who were owed money disembark without taking care of this.

We just got a very disappointing  HAL accessability department follow up . Even our TA was astonished at the lack of care .Thank God we were still before any fees . when you place q $1200 deposit based on information that cabin Vista suite B8101 on Koningsdam can accomodate my 21 inch wide electric scooter through that entrance doorway & if that did not work we would not be able to get help aboard the ship . 

12 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We just got a very disappointing  HAL accessability department follow up . Even our TA was astonished at the lack of care .Thank God we were still before any fees . when you place q $1200 deposit based on information that cabin Vista suite B8101 on Koningsdam can accomodate my 21 inch wide electric scooter through that entrance doorway & if that did not work we would not be able to get help aboard the ship . 

The Koningsdam deck plan clearly states (bolding is mine):

Ambulatory Accessible: Suites B8101 & SA7092 and staterooms K11049, VB11038, VQ10033, VE8142, VD7049, K6185, VC6158, V5051, V5048, FB1172 & E1165 have a shower only with small step, step into bathroom, standard interior and exterior door size

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

16 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

The Koningsdam deck plan clearly states (bolding is mine):

Ambulatory Accessible: Suites B8101 & SA7092 and staterooms K11049, VB11038, VQ10033, VE8142, VD7049, K6185, VC6158, V5051, V5048, FB1172 & E1165 have a shower only with small step, step into bathroom, standard interior and exterior door size

@mcrcruiser, how were you led to believe your scooter would fit into B8101? The info on that cabin has been available for some time. I have an old 2022 deck plan on my computer and that, like the one @Cruise Suzy quoted from, says standard interior and exterior door size. Another issue is space to move around. Looking at the deck plan, it seems 8101 is the same size as other Vista suites. But going aft a bit on the deck plan, the fully accessible veranda cabins are noticeably wider than the veranda cabins of the same category (VA). A wide scooter could get through the door and have space to move/turnaround in the cabin. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

A person can also go days prior to disembarkation. Waiting for them to send the credit is too frustrating. They take their time !

On 10/1/2024 at 3:44 PM, Rambozo68 said:

I hope you continue to keep us updated.  This is an important topic about both refunds and the insurance policy.  I never us the policy myself but have friends who do.  I would like to know if in the end you are denied and under what grounds. 

• Like 2

On 10/1/2024 at 9:44 AM, Rambozo68 said:

Wow.  This reads like we will process your refund when we decide to get around to it.  Such poor service.

Thanks for getting back to us with the update.  

• Like 2