Jim_Iain - Live from Oceania Regatta - September 14 Vancouver to Los Angeles

Jim_Iain

52 minutes ago, Jazzbo said:

I’m an Air Force brat so I treasure the service of those who choose to serve. It was actually my stepson who retired. USCG Petaluma wis special indeed. We saw so many wild turkeys and deer up close there! The younger grandson is in the Air Force — loved seeing him and his dad in dress blues! The older grandson is a USCG vet who went to A school at USCG Petaluma. Petaluma itself is a lovely town. We stopped at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State park in 2019 on our way from our niece’s wedding in Paso Robles to Monterey before catching our flight home from SFO the following day. Beautiful place!

Thank you, all of you, for your service. Sincerely. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, as3369 said:

Yes we were..

Wow I thought it was just us. We did anytime dining with a reservation and no matter where we sat the service was poor to non existent. The sommelier totally ignored us and only waited on those who bought bottles. We finally moved to the non reservation side and they still tried to sit us over there and we refused because of bad service. They then sat us in Gilbert’s section and we got impeccable service from everyone. The lesson learned was to express our displeasure and it was solved. Now our cabin attendant was a different story. We were in 1106 and finally complained to the concierge desk about his inconsistency. Ours too one night he hadn’t cleaned it when we went back to the room late and I had to find another attendant just to get clean towels as we were tired and ready to go to bed. To their credit we got follow up calls from the concierge desk, hotel management, and guest relations. Although the room was serviced he never spoke to us in the hallway and if we spoke to him he  mumbled something and never looked up from his phone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kasowell2 said:

Wow I thought it was just us. We did anytime dining with a reservation and no matter where we sat the service was poor to non existent. The sommelier totally ignored us and only waited on those who bought bottles. We finally moved to the non reservation side and they still tried to sit us over there and we refused because of bad service. They then sat us in Gilbert’s section and we got impeccable service from everyone. The lesson learned was to express our displeasure and it was solved. Now our cabin attendant was a different story. We were in 1106 and finally complained to the concierge desk about his inconsistency. Ours too one night he hadn’t cleaned it when we went back to the room late and I had to find another attendant just to get clean towels as we were tired and ready to go to bed. To their credit we got follow up calls from the concierge desk, hotel management, and guest relations. Although the room was serviced he never spoke to us in the hallway and if we spoke to him he  mumbled something and never looked up from his phone. 

We were on Deck 9 so I guess the problem extended to more than one deck.  No more Celebrity for awhile 

• Like 2

Just some clarifications.

While some venues retain the beautiful/elegant woodwork of yesteryear, much of the ship was refurbished.  As Jim said in post #123, "The peaceful Blue and Silver pallet are both modern and relaxing."

The Versace dishes.  When first seated, there is a Versace bread and butter plate and a large Versace charger at your place.  All food comes out on white dishes.  The first course is placed on the charger, and after you are done with the first course, the charger is removed with the first course dish.  The following courses are all on white dishes.  Refined, but not  "Grandma". 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cluso said:

Just some clarifications.

While some venues retain the beautiful/elegant woodwork of yesteryear, much of the ship was refurbished.  As Jim said in post #123, "The peaceful Blue and Silver pallet are both modern and relaxing."

The Versace dishes.  When first seated, there is a Versace bread and butter plate and a large Versace charger at your place.  All food comes out on white dishes.  The first course is placed on the charger, and after you are done with the first course, the charger is removed with the first course dish.  The following courses are all on white dishes.  Refined, but not  "Grandma". 😉

I don't want to hijack this thread but I've never understood the idea of a charger.   They wash the tablecloth daily anyway.  Is it just a target so the waiter knows where to put the plate?  Why have something there just to take it away basically unused. 

However,   it appears that people like it so maybe I just have an odd perspective. 

Thank you guys for posts,  information and especially the menus.  Enjoy the rest of your trip.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

Why have something there just to take it away basically unused. 

I don't know  what it's original use was but, nowadays, I think it's intended to be purely decorative

(See also: napkin rings. Of which I have a decent collection inherited from my mother. They are pretty but also  have no practical use. We use them daily at dinner)

Edited by Harters
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Harters said:

I don't know  what it's original use was but, nowadays, I think it's intended to be purely decorative

Similar to the many wine glasses on a table that are removed after the diner decides on red, white, or none. The settings make the room look nicely decorated to me rather than the starker look without.

• Like 4

What can I say impeccable service and food. 

IMG_5707.thumb.jpeg.31978f32540d41e1fbd0eaf331141e3b.jpeg

IMG_5706.thumb.jpeg.e6855483f5a6bb02ab0a8b2b139453f4.jpeg

IMG_5709.thumb.jpeg.7067f154868b2097c393ada426cf2d79.jpeg

IMG_5713.thumb.jpeg.8b24487e70d5156866012a12d856c209.jpeg

IMG_5714.thumb.jpeg.3273e1318bc9733d9a9ee7a3cdb4c1c1.jpeg

IMG_5715.thumb.jpeg.fea44dbbc5a3ae9223a90e75f24667be.jpeg

IMG_5718.thumb.jpeg.7193e43e5178a18a849a7ebd93ff408e.jpeg

IMG_5717.thumb.jpeg.726fc8a0f53084978202de2cfb703a23.jpeg

IMG_5719.thumb.jpeg.133d8a75ef3d8aa38a290063ceeb1086.jpeg

IMG_5719.thumb.jpeg.133d8a75ef3d8aa38a290063ceeb1086.jpeg

IMG_5722.thumb.jpeg.908ff8ad32f1f44f9ab0c12bd7ee038e.jpeg

IMG_5723.thumb.jpeg.e0215e224c5417b40ae007cfc1ee513d.jpeg

IMG_5725.thumb.jpeg.cd12c030bbedf1b1bc8da5cd3f9f5231.jpeg

IMG_5726.thumb.jpeg.209a692e252b1ccfb47cdb0406c0abec.jpeg

I do say it was rather empty when we left.  We had a 9:00 reservation, but they called and said we could come earlier if we desired.  

Toscana was only about half filled when we arrived. 

IMG_5727.thumb.jpeg.bbd9db946782f9faebd63f28b9459409.jpeg

IMG_5728.thumb.jpeg.8dcb5f767b35fe6355b5b8139f14e3b7.jpeg

IMG_5729.thumb.jpeg.1882743ba41c8f1887b7255c945b84ee.jpeg

IMG_5730.thumb.jpeg.3a8d3e146a8c2c9cd41c87c8e45b308e.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Jim glad that you are able to post your fantastic pictures. You are bringing back memories of when I lived in Montana and was able to take in the mountains. Since we cruise to get away from our Minnesota winters, it's going to be a while before we can take in an Alaskan cruise.

I want to thank you for doing this comparison trip report. I have Oceania on a list of cruise lines to try, along with Crystal, Explora, and Viking. I trust your reviews implicitly, they are such a big help in making future choices.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, SSFrance69 said:

If so I hope it was as good as what we had both times we dined there!

I confess to being a messy eater and never eat long pasta in public. So, I've never tried the carbonara in Toscana. I really should because it reads as though it's an entirely traditional preparation - with no cream!

PS: my pasta eating skills are the height of refinement in comparison with my use of chopsticks which is, frankly, an embarrassment. Some of the places in Chinatown only offer chopsticks so it's a matter of needs must. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Harters said:

I confess to being a messy eater and never eat long pasta in public. So, I've never tried the carbonara in Toscana. I really should because it reads as though it's an entirely traditional preparation - with no cream!

PS: my pasta eating skills are the height of refinement in comparison with my use of chopsticks which is, frankly, an embarrassment. Some of the places in Chinatown only offer chopsticks so it's a matter of needs must. 

I'm right there with you re: chopsticks. I've never been coordinated enough to use them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you so much for these wonderful photos! We will be boarding the Regatta as first time Oceania guests and you’re providing a wealth of information! I’m taking notes on some of those dishes. 😉

A tad concerned with how empty Toscana appears. (and rather “bright”??) We also have 9 pm reservations. You mentioned you were invited earlier and yet it still looks like you closed the place down! 😬 Haha! (Happy to hear the food is wonderful). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1