Did you like Daniel Boulud Signatures on Luminae

mcatmcat

Since I’m in a suite I can go to Luminae, I was reading at the menu and Daniel has some interesting entrees. Are they good, do you recommend any please🥇

thanks 😜

Edited by mcatmcat

I'm pretty sure the DB option on the menu stays the same from night to night but I could be misremembering.  To answer the question, that particular section of the menu has not appealed to me, although the chocolate pill on the dessert portion of the menu sounds interesting.

14 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

Since I’m in a suite I can go to Luminae, I was reading at the menu and Daniel has some interesting entrees. Are they good, do you recommend any please🥇

thanks 😜

You can ask for a DB item to share just to try it out.

2 hours ago, thebutlerdidit said:

I really liked the new dishes on the DB menu and would order them again in the future. I do wish the raspberry vacherin was still available. That was the star of the old DB menu. 

We've not sailed on a cruise yet with the new DB menu.  On the old one the only think I like was also the Raspberry Vacherin.  Ordered around every other night for my dessert.  

Expect the new menu will be on my next sailing and I'm following to see what others thing before considering it. I know the entree on the old DB menu was a bust and in my humble opinion cold and soup do not belong in the same sentence. 

21 hours ago, George C said:

I didn’t care for any of his selections.

DH and I are definitely not one of his fans.  I mention it in my post cruise surveys continually but I guess there are a lot of Luninae folks who like his concoctions.  (Staff in Luminae know how we feel but we do workarounds.) 😃

For my own curiosity, and to potentially help the OP, what about the Boulud dishes did people not like? It's perfectly fine that you didn't, but provides no information to the OP.

I personally found the duck and the soup a little more adventurous than the bulk of the dishes in Luminae. I love a good gazpacho, and cold soup is a frequent amuse bouche at one of my favorite restaurants. I thought the duck confit was much better than most of the beef dishes.

I didn't expect the menu at Daniel or one of his other restaurants, but I personally thought the dishes were very good. Daniel has two Michelin stars and Boulud himself is a James Beard award recipient. Unlike the previous Chicken Tagine (which I never had), it seemed to me that Celebrity had figured out how to prepare his dishes on the ship. 

I wish they'd team up to offer more of his dishes. Anything other than just another cut of beef!

Food is soo subjective that it’s difficult to gauge from strangers .

I order duck whenever I can. The duck imo was not good. You may enjoy it though.  The pill dessert was delicious.

Manage your expectations. We still ate many Specialities for dinner.  Luminae menu and execution of food  is just ok. 
O has fantastic food in comparison in all venues. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, markeb said:

For my own curiosity, and to potentially help the OP, what about the Boulud dishes did people not like? It's perfectly fine that you didn't, but provides no information to the OP.

I personally found the duck and the soup a little more adventurous than the bulk of the dishes in Luminae. I love a good gazpacho, and cold soup is a frequent amuse bouche at one of my favorite restaurants. I thought the duck confit was much better than most of the beef dishes.

I didn't expect the menu at Daniel or one of his other restaurants, but I personally thought the dishes were very good. Daniel has two Michelin stars and Boulud himself is a James Beard award recipient. Unlike the previous Chicken Tagine (which I never had), it seemed to me that Celebrity had figured out how to prepare his dishes on the ship. 

I wish they'd team up to offer more of his dishes. Anything other than just another cut of beef!

I agree with you that it is more beneficial - at least to me - to hear why one didn’t like a dish than just a statement one did not. I had dinner with a friend many years ago who told me that she really disliked a certain dish at the restaurant we went to. When I asked why, she said it had garlic in it and she didn’t like garlic. I had it; the garlic was barely noticeable. 

I have not been in Luminae under the current offerings, but will probably try the duck if it is still there when we join Eclipse in about a year. I did try the chicken tangine under the old menu and did not like the coriander imbalance in seasoning. Pretty much all you could taste. Also, not sure exactly how it was cooked, but tangine I have had in northern Africa was crusty on the bottom, moist on top, and infused with smoke from the cooking process. The Luminae dish tasted like baked chicken with Moroccan spices added. 

12 hours ago, markeb said:

The DB entrees are pre cooked and delivered to the ship frozen. Done for consistency. I do agree that the chicken was too dry and the duck is good enough to try if you enjoy duck.

7 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Which is likely EXACTLY what it was.  I find that often the descriptions on the Luminae menu do not always reflect what is presented.

Totally agree.

So hard for new suite guests to know exactly what they are ordering…Some waiters are really good and if you say ‘What is X like?’ They will describe it to you, others will simply say ‘It is very nice, you will like it…’. Not a problem for us now but going back to when Luminae was first introduced it seemed to be a lucky dip if what you received was what you vaguely expected…Also so many vegetables are garnishes not portions. Again not an issue for us now we simply ask for an extra portion of mixed veg or a green salad with whatever we order.

Only DB meal I ever ordered was the chicken tangine. As a fan of tangine meals I was soooo disappointed. I didn’t expect the real smokiness that you would get in North Africa or at a quality Moroccan restaurant but I found there was no depth of flavour. Glad they have swapped it out.

I think all menus could do with a refresh…Some could do with remembering old popular dishes and resurrecting them. Do you remember the mushroom ravioli in Tuscan or the steak Diane in Murano? 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I find that often the descriptions on the Luminae menu do not always reflect what is presented.

I always have the waiter translate the menu into Texan.  🤠

• Haha 3