New Princess Money Grabber Water Package Now $24.00

hpeabody

30 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

That's why much of the waste on ships isn't unloaded.  It's incinerated.  

In terms of Princess, they can try and reduce plastic use, but their Medallions have a battery with a short shelf life and a chip in inside of them which is hard to access making them unrecyclable.  In addition each Medallion is single use.  So much for caring about the environment.  

Might want to recheck your source on that. Incinerating plastic has its own environmental issues with the compounds created. Incinerating plastics on board did not last long.

Most lines are separating plastics, crushing them, then disposing on shore. Several lines have eliminated plastic bottles on board, along with plastic straws.

CCL had pledged to eliminate single use plastics on board. One of the reason Princess nolonger allows plastic soda bottles to be brought on board at embarcation.

In addition to CCL brands taking steps to get rid of plastic water bottles (P&O UK and Cunard for example), NCL has also eliminated plastic water bottles on their ships.

Edited by TRLD
  • Thanks 2

NCL used boxed water for a while and then moved to the aluminum "bottles" of water.  Their water package prices remain insanely high, like Princess' new increase, but Princess includes water in their drink package where NCL does not. 

Don't like it?  Drink it from the tap.  It's perfectly fine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TRLD said:

CCL had pledged to eliminate single use plastics on board. One of the reason Princess nolonger allows plastic soda bottles to be brought on board at embarcation.

I've yet to see this enforced.  See people brining on single use plastic soda and water in port.

18 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Most lines are separating plastics, crushing them, then disposing on shore. Several lines have eliminated plastic bottles on board, along with plastic straws.

That's great but what happens to the waste in the other country is unknown.  Does the recyclable stuff actually get recycled?

16 minutes ago, TRLD said:

In addition to CCL brands taking steps to get rid of plastic water bottles (P&O UK and Cunard for examole), NCL has also eliminated plastic water bottles on their ships.

Everything is hunky dory until they get caught.  Not about plastics, but still a violation and from 2 years ago.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/princess-cruise-lines-pleads-guilty-second-revocation-probation

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tothemall&beyond said:

It means no BOTTLES. Of any type. Period. If you can find water boxes or water cans, that's OK. At least for now. The only bottles that are allowed at embarkation are one 750 ml bottle of wine pp.

This information is simply wrong. I just returned yesterday from an Alaska cruise where six of us carried on bottles of liquor, soda, and wine, plus 6-packs of beer at every port. No questions asked, and no corkage fees. Same for our last two cruises in the past year. These "rules" are attempts to get people to buy packages.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Teechur said:

This information is simply wrong. I just returned yesterday from an Alaska cruise where six of us carried on bottles of liquor, soda, and wine, plus 6-packs of beer at every port. No questions asked, and no corkage fees. Same for our last two cruises in the past year. These "rules" are attempts to get people to buy packages.

Rules are fine, but it the lax enforcement that allows people to break them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

thanks for posting this.  sounds like you got it covered with your water bottle

I've got it covered with a package that includes water

we're both happy, huh

Thanks for the info but my men and I like to save water. So we do this. See photo.

The Captain of The Rowboat,

IMG_3205.jpeg

IMG_3239.jpeg

IMG_2462.jpeg

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

I've yet to see this enforced.  See people brining on single use plastic soda and water in port.

That's great but what happens to the waste in the other country is unknown.  Does the recyclable stuff actually get recycled?

Everything is hunky dory until they get caught.  Not about plastics, but still a violation and from 2 years ago.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/princess-cruise-lines-pleads-guilty-second-revocation-probation

Uh the Princess case was about oil, not plastics.

We are talking about plastic water bottles.

You are kind of all over the map arguing against recycling. Which actually kind of supports why cruise lines are moving to get rid of them entirely. If they get rid of them, then they do not have to deal with local laws, do not have to worry about what happens to the plastic waste, if there is not any.

Single carry ons in port, quite a bit different then dases being brought on at embarcation where the rules are enforced.

Edited by TRLD
  • Thanks 1

I have booked my first cruise with Princess for next year and it is frustrating that they raised the price that much without sending out an email letting guest know beforehand, so they would have a chance to order before the price increase.

I planned on buying 3 of the 12 packs for the four of us. We basically only drink water. I know some say the water on the ship is great and I've never had a problem with the taste, but it always makes me swell when drinking it so I try to avoid it. I went on the chat and asked if it was a glitch on the website, but was told it is now $24.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ideb said:

I have booked my first cruise with Princess for next year and it is frustrating that they raised the price that much without sending out an email letting guest know beforehand, so they would have a chance to order before the price increase.

I planned on buying 3 of the 12 packs for the four of us. We basically only drink water. I know some say the water on the ship is great and I've never had a problem with the taste, but it always makes me swell when drinking it so I try to avoid it. I went on the chat and asked if it was a glitch on the website, but was told it is now $24.

If you don't mind carrying it aboard, you can bring it with you. I have read about people putting luggage tags on cases of water and soda, which are then delivered to their cabins.

8 minutes ago, Teechur said:

If you don't mind carrying it aboard, you can bring it with you. I have read about people putting luggage tags on cases of water and soda, which are then delivered to their cabins.

Not in plastic bottles according to the rules. In cans or cartons yes, but plastic bottles no.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Uh the Princess case was about oil, not plastics.

We are talking about plastic water bottles.

You are kind of all over the map arguing against recycling. Which actually kind of supports why cruise lines are moving to get rid of them entirely. If they get rid of them, then they do not have to deal with local laws, do not have to worry about what happens to the plastic waste, if there is not any.

Single carry ons in port, quite a bit different then dases being brought on at embarcation where the rules are enforced.

My point is cruise lines will do what they want until they are caught.  If they get rid of plastic, how do we know the cartons or aluminum containers are being recycled in what ever country they are disposed in?  The ship could be incinerating them in open waters.  We don't know.

As far as bringing cases in port, I've brought cases of plastic water bottes on board.  Sams is right across the street in Puerto Vallarta and I went to Costco in Juneau.  Took them out of the film

and put them in tote bags.  In Hawaii, I buy iced tea only that can only be brought on the islands on plastic bottles by the case and bring them on board.  Never been stopped on a Princess cruise.  Also have brought a case of plastic water bottles from in a rolling carry and have never been stopped on embarkation day in FLL or SFO.  San Pedro security is sometimes weird, but they usually let them through after having inspected that the seals haven't been tampered with.

I've yet to see Princess ban single use plastic or attempt to switch to other packaging.  Heck the drink mixers they use are in plastic bottles.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Part of the settlement was that single use plastics would be reduced. Including water bottles.

CCL had already made that as part of their settlement in 2018. Since the Princess case was a violation of the original agreement, it included the original terms.

12 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

My point is cruise lines will do what they want until they are caught.  If they get rid of plastic, how do we know the cartons or aluminum containers are being recycled in what ever country they are disposed in?  The ship could be incinerating them in open waters.  We don't know.

As far as bringing cases in port, I've brought cases of plastic water bottes on board.  Sams is right across the street in Puerto Vallarta and I went to Costco in Juneau.  Took them out of the film

and put them in tote bags.  In Hawaii, I buy iced tea only that can only be brought on the islands on plastic bottles by the case and bring them on board.  Never been stopped on a Princess cruise.  Also have brought a case of plastic water bottles from in a rolling carry and have never been stopped on embarkation day in FLL or SFO.  San Pedro security is sometimes weird, but they usually let them through after having inspected that the seals haven't been tampered with.

I've yet to see Princess ban single use plastic or attempt to switch to other packaging.  Heck the drink mixers they use are in plastic bottles.

The operative word is yet.

One could have said the same of Cunard or P&O a couplr of years ago, but now they have.

Princess has gotten rid of some plastics. Princess had changed the rules about bringing on board which reduces some of it, even if enforcement is not consisten, and some ignore tge rules, next step would be to convert what they have onboard, then last step would be to tighten enforcement.

Cartons can be burned without generating the hazardous compounds that burning plastic generate.

Metal cans actually have value when it comes to the revycle market. They have a per pound value. Thwy also do not face the same waste regulations in many countries that plastics do.

4 hours ago, TRLD said:

Wonder if they are switching away from plastic water bottles. Other cruise lines have already done so. Big move in many countries to cut down on plastics. 

I was wondering the same thing. I'm seeing water sold in aluminum bottles.  

8 hours ago, tothemall&beyond said:

It's on Luggage Tags and in FAQ's: 

• Bringing alcohol
    Guests can bring one 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne per person on embarkation day, without a corkage fee if consumed in their stateroom. Additional bottles will incur a corkage fee, and the ship may refuse excessive quantities. Alcohol purchased at ports or duty free from The Shops of Princess will be held by the ship's crew and returned to the guest on the final day of the cruise. 

• Bringing non-alcoholic beverages
    Guests can bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages in cans or cartons on embarkation day, but not in checked luggage. This is limited to 12 sealed, unopened cans or cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person. 

•  

My luggage tag (which isn't a legally binding document) mentions wine but not soft drinks.

FAQ is also just that, not a legally binding contract. As yet, I can't find mention of soft drinks in the FAQ.

Nothing states that you have to read and abide by either, unless you know differently?

47 minutes ago, rosevew said:

My luggage tag (which isn't a legally binding document) mentions wine but not soft drinks.

FAQ is also just that, not a legally binding contract. As yet, I can't find mention of soft drinks in the FAQ.

Nothing states that you have to read and abide by either, unless you know differently?

True, however, I have seen a few sad looking passengers have their extra drinks confiscated at embarkation.  I know many have said they get away with breaking the rules and the Rules do not apply to them.  

• Like 4

It is difficult in some ports to get cases of water. Europe is one that comes to mind.

f you care about this - email: customerrelations@princesscruises.com,or contact them via chat or their 800 number. Anyway you feel comfortable contacting them.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Coral said:

It is difficult in some ports to get cases of water. Europe is one that comes to mind.

f you care about this - email: customerrelations@princesscruises.com,or contact them via chat or their 800 number. Anyway you feel comfortable contacting them.

I contacted them by chat last night and let them know my frustration that there weren't any emails and it wasn't mentioned on the website that prices would be increasing by that much without any notice. Of course, the person on chat is just an employee there, so there's nothing he could do about it. It probably won't ever be seen by anyone higher up.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ideb said:

I contacted them by chat last night and let them know my frustration that there weren't any emails and it wasn't mentioned on the website that prices would be increasing by that much without any notice. Of course, the person on chat is just an employee there, so there's nothing he could do about it. It probably won't ever be seen by anyone higher up.

Thanks for your report. I would suggest emailing!

They tried to do this a few years ago and it did get quickly changed within 24 hours! We did make an impact!

I am a stockholder and I find this horrible. 

There are ports that make it really difficult to bring water onboard. It may be easy in FLL but when in Europe, it is not as easy for non-Europeans. 

• Like 1